• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
If hobo 39 has 13 people, I will drink melted cat **** after it was stirred by a cows wang.

:phone:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I'm thinking really hard about coming to this. I'm just trying to collect info on my fellow LA smashers to see what they are doing to plan accordingly, because I'm not sure if they are going to this HOBO or the next one. Which, is there any idea of when HOBO 40 is?? I'll do my best to save up for HOBO 39, but if HOBO 40 is late enough for me to save for it, I'll make sure I attend HOBO 40 and bring some LA people with me.

Igetitpoppin01

Smash Apprentice
Can someone gives me sync's,pj's,asa's etc... Adress? I might head there tonight, i know it is creekbend something.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
6489 Creekbend Dr.
Houston, TX 77069

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
I'm thinking really hard about coming to this. I'm just trying to collect info on my fellow LA smashers to see what they are doing to plan accordingly, because I'm not sure if they are going to this HOBO or the next one. Which, is there any idea of when HOBO 40 is?? I'll do my best to save up for HOBO 39, but if HOBO 40 is late enough for me to save for it, I'll make sure I attend HOBO 40 and bring some LA people with me.
It'll be in August.
March: Hobo
April: Revolution
May: Whos tyler?(pik dis 1)
June: nikefest
July: Revolution
August: hobo

No date is final until the thread is made though.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Imo, if you can only go to one, might as well go the championships.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Well the whole idea was me not having to spend that much money on traveling expenses, but all through today, my friends have been telling me they are interested in going. Right now I have like 5-6 people on board with making it out there for HOBO 39, so it makes it easier on me because more and more people are saying they are going to come which is spreading the expenses out more and more. I'll also see if they want to make it to the championship at the end of the season too.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Bomber, if any of you are interested in making the long and perilous journey deeper into TX , I'm sure Sync would house you along the way if you had another day or two to waste showing up early. Getting from NO to Houston is expensive(ish), but its alot cheaper to get from houston to dallas/san antonio.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Bomber, if any of you are interested in making the long and perilous journey deeper into TX , I'm sure Sync would house you along the way if you had another day or two to waste showing up early. Getting from NO to Houston is expensive(ish), but its alot cheaper to get from houston to dallas/san antonio.
I'll consider that. I've actually been thinking more about going to HOBO 40 since it is the championship and I'd probably have more of an experience going to it. We'll see, we're still in the planning stage.

Xyro77

All i can say is that if you have a higher chance of going to HOBO 39 than the championships, go to hobo 39. the championships will probably be much more expensive all the way around so keep that in mind too.

Xyro77

hey guys, i need tax help, sorta

My college sent me some tax stuff (looks like a w2) because of pell grants or something. What do i do with it? I've never done this before and i personally think its dumb to pay people to do simple tax related things but since you guys are all IN (or have been in) college you may know what to do.

btw, here is what it looks like.

heytallman

CTALL
Ask me after I take my first tax exam or whenever we get there in the book, whichever comes first.

My guess though would be that your scholarships/grants would count as income, and you can deduct your tuition. At least that's what I assume.

I popped a pretty big boner from that Gamecube gif.

Gea

Smash Master
Yeah, that. You should get something from your college with all of your tuition from the year that can be deducted.

Edit: actually that is it. Basically the college sends that to you and the IRS. From that information you can figure out what you can deduct on your taxes when you go to file them. That is for your reference. Also Tallman is half right, your scholarships/grants do not count as income (I am pretty sure) as long as the amount is lower than your tuition amount/books/supplies. Anything over counts as income. There are several free tax filing services that walk you through everything. If you put in the info there accurately, it will guide you.

Turbotax software is pretty good if you think your taxes will be complex. You can maybe find it cheaper at your student software store.

Gea

Smash Master
I think it varies depending on the source. Pretty sure though the answer is "no," because almost all grants/scholarships are given without the knowledge of your actual tuition and supply expenses. So if you go over and use it for rent/laptop/car/whatever it's on you to report it and it will be lumped into your overall income which then gets taxed.

Here is a handy guide saying what can and cannot by taxed by the IRS in regards to scholarships and grants.

Here is the explanation for how to file it if indeed you do owe something:

Reporting Scholarships and Fellowships

Whether you must report your scholarship or fellowship depends on whether you must file a return and whether any part of your scholarship or fellowship is taxable.

If your only income is a completely tax-free scholarship or fellowship, you do not have to file a tax return and no reporting is necessary. If all or part of your scholarship or fellowship is taxable and you are required to file a tax return, report the taxable amount as explained below. You must report the taxable amount whether or not you received a Form W-2. If you receive an incorrect Form W-2, ask the payer for a corrected one.

For information on whether you must file a return, see Publication 501, Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information, or your income tax form instructions.
How To Report

How you report any taxable scholarship or fellowship income depends on which return you file.
Form 1040EZ. If you file Form 1040EZ, include the taxable amount in the total on line 1. If the taxable amount was not reported on Form W-2, also enter “SCH” and the taxable amount in the space to the left of line 1.

Form 1040A. If you file Form 1040A, include the taxable amount in the total on line 7. If the taxable amount was not reported on Form W-2, also enter “SCH” and the taxable amount in the space to the left of line 7.

Form 1040. If you file Form 1040, include the taxable amount in the total on line 7. If the taxable amount was not reported on Form W-2, also enter “SCH” and the taxable amount on the dotted line next to line 7.

Schedule SE (Form 1040). To determine your net earnings from self-employment, include amounts you receive under a scholarship as pay for your services that are reported to you on Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income. If your net earnings are $400 or more, you must pay self-employment tax. Use Schedule SE, Self-Employment Tax, to figure this tax.

Form 1040NR. If you file Form 1040NR, report the taxable amount on line 12. Generally, you must report the amount shown in box 2 of Form(s) 1042-S, Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding. See the Instructions for Form 1040NR for more information.

Form 1040NR-EZ. If you file Form 1040NR-EZ, report the taxable amount on line 5. Generally, you must report the amount shown in box 2 of Form(s) 1042-S. See the Instructions for Form 1040NR-EZ for more information

Gea

Smash Master
If you ever get confused again I am almost positive just about every college/ community college has people there on campus that can help give you some advice. Just always, always double check with at least Google to make sure what they tell you is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom