• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You have to ask a TLK member for the meaning.

I dare not speak for them, because they may become the holy saviors we need in the future and I don't want to upset them.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I've never had a problem with 2-stock, but I still prefer 3 stock overall. 2 stock falls victim far more often to things that are considered janky or absurd, and a single SD, gimp, or early kill puts you so ridiculously far behind that it's insane. With 3-stock, there's more of an emphasis on player vs. player, and there's tons of opportunities for the momentum of a match to shift, so much so that entire stocks can be made up through the control a player can maintain during a game.

2-Stock overemphasizes the character vs. character interaction, and the match is far more centralized on that over the player vs. player mechanics. If you don't know a character match up, you're pretty much guaranteed to lose game one unless you're a really smart player. In 3-stock, you have far more opportunities mid-match to learn player habits, character mechanics, etc. It feels far more interactive and healthy in the latter format.

The only real advantage 2-stock gets is that everything finishes way, way faster. Even then, speed isn't a factor if the TO has proper time management. The experience wasn't as good as it probably should've been because Austin overloaded their tournament with events and dead-time. It could've easily finished in a single day. They just chose not to, and it was pretty inconvenient.

3 Stock just feels better. Barring very rare scenarios, it rarely feels like you lose to the character in 3-stock settings. Likewise, half of the time while I was in Austin, I felt that I was losing to characters way more than the players behind them, and even though I got 2nd, I was still mad as hell at all the shenanigans that took place.

Having said all of that, overall, even in a 2-stock setting, the better player will usually win. It's just way, way more prone to fraudulent games, which make upsets happen. Upsets aren't a bad thing inherently, but they feel like faux victories when you know that it was because someone just rage dunked you or killed you in an extraordinary circumstance.

I think I'm actually more mad that so many people are okay with tournaments being that way, though.

Customs are just stupid. I don't care how irrational or bias my comments are on them. They're stupid. Palutena get's free run ins and kill confirms stupidly early. Wario gets stupid hitboxes. ROB get's guaranteed 50/50s that can KO as early as 70%. Sonic gets 30% for every hit confirm. Sheik, a character that already shuts down so many others, gets a move that guarantees into an early KO. Villager is absolutely degenerative as far as gameplay is concerned. Shulk is ridiculously rewarded with single hit confirms. Diddy KOs absurdly early from guaranteed banana hit confirms. Donkey Kong is difficult to hit. Luma is outright broken at times.

It's so painfully obvious that customs didn't give a single solitary **** towards the entire "risk vs. reward" situation most characters have to deal with in this game, and the fact that they're legal despite that pisses me off.

And then they allow them in doubles? What? I'm surprised Jbandrew and Pwii, with how cheesy their strategy already was, didn't bother giving Pwii's Lucario the aura sphere that pulls you in since Villager with that move pocketed KOs opponents stupidly early. If you're gonna go for the anubis crap, you might as well go full satan.

Half of the cast can just hit a single button and ignore bad situations. Custom Palutena is the most guilty of this. She's the second most brain dead character in this game sans Luigi. Sonic's hammer spin dash is so fast and stupid that I was almost never in a completely disadvantageous position.

It was such an unpleasant experience for me. And people enjoy it. That is what drove me insane. I honestly cannot believe that people genuinely feel like these moves are competitively healthy, and even more so, good for the community. Blows my damn mind.

Combine that with the heavily character-based, easy-to-fall-behind-from-a-KO style that 2-stock brings, and you just have a cesspool of bull**** that you need to fight through. It's not fun. It's not exciting. It's just stupid.

Plus, it's 2-stock people. Run 5 minutes. If a game times out, it times out. 6 minutes just makes things run slower, and half of the point of 2-stock is speed as is.

=====

The entire trip was a waste of my time, and I won a good amount of money off of it. I probably won't be going to another customs event ever again, unless it's to team with Megafox or something. The only positive I got out of it was crushing Dallas into dust.

:applejack:

Last edited:

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Espy, no more of those vids please lol.

I felt the same way as Trela when I first signed up. Saw 10 people signed up in bracket, two of which were BC and Krebs. Refund plz. Lol but nah, Custom Villager wasn't as bad as I expected him to be. Held my own for pulling out Mario and his customs for the first time.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Rt, why can't I use Lucas? Why doesn't he fit? He has zair!
You do remember his zair does nothing. You will zair something out of habit, then you will get a face full of aerial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IzYQYYAdw0

This is how I felt when I was first considering entering the customs tournament yesterday.
This is a better response: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIWHMb3JxmE

Alternatively, this is how you felt during the tournament: http://iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump...fire-suit-handshake-interview-14133124690.gif

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Customs is like Brawl Minus, but someone liked that alot more than vBrawl.

2 stock brings out the worst things about customs imo. I know this issue will eventually go away in a couple of years (if both those formats survive), but its basically "what the **** just happened to my first stock, welp now im going to lose the entire game because of something absurd".

Customs Villager is a very intriguing situation in my eyes. I've played smash for a while and watch high level play of all the games in the series and I know how hard it can be to get clean hits on someone that literally isn't fighting you. I'm not talking about someone being defensive, campy or extremely patient with the intent of winning. I mean someone that is literally avoiding combat or even attempting to punish you or score hits.

Custom Villager is quite honestly still a bad character. There is no reason a competitive tryhard player would choose this character as the best way to win. This has been pretty much proven over and over across every region that uses customs at a high level. Even in Houston, where customs are rarely seen BC and Krebs aren't beating people the 2nd or 3rd time around because it doesn't really work.

Yet, somehow the design of character makes it tempting to use a losing strategy just for the sake of camping. Quite frankly its possible to be just as effective as villager with many other characters if you have the nerve for it.

Maybe its just because its a pretty stimulating campy bad strategy. It doesn't really feel like you are accomplishing nothing until the match winds down and you realize "this isn't working".

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I've been saying this since the day the game came out.

2 stocks and customs are for low skill low IQ garbage babies who can't handle REAL smash.

BC.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
direprophecy
Customs is like Brawl Minus, but someone liked that alot more than vBrawl.

2 stock brings out the worst things about customs imo. I know this issue will eventually go away in a couple of years (if both those formats survive), but its basically "what the **** just happened to my first stock, welp now im going to lose the entire game because of something absurd".

Customs Villager is a very intriguing situation in my eyes. I've played smash for a while and watch high level play of all the games in the series and I know how hard it can be to get clean hits on someone that literally isn't fighting you. I'm not talking about someone being defensive, campy or extremely patient with the intent of winning. I mean someone that is literally avoiding combat or even attempting to punish you or score hits.

Custom Villager is quite honestly still a bad character. There is no reason a competitive tryhard player would choose this character as the best way to win. This has been pretty much proven over and over across every region that uses customs at a high level. Even in Houston, where customs are rarely seen BC and Krebs aren't beating people the 2nd or 3rd time around because it doesn't really work.

Yet, somehow the design of character makes it tempting to use a losing strategy just for the sake of camping. Quite frankly its possible to be just as effective as villager with many other characters if you have the nerve for it.

Maybe its just because its a pretty stimulating campy bad strategy. It doesn't really feel like you are accomplishing nothing until the match winds down and you realize "this isn't working".
I had already gotten 5th in vanilla and wasn't really feeling it. Ask anyone I fought in customs that tourney I wasn't trying to cheese people or camp or stall. Played way too aggro and wasn't really in the mood to do the things custom Villager needs to do to win.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I'm not trashing you or anything, but the other inherent weaknesses of the character don't really give him much of an edge when it comes to the best characters anyway. You and I both know, Diddy, Sheik, Rosa still outcamp villager with and without the lead, with and without customs.

Its honestly a bit of a sad story there. Megaman has a bit of quickness to him once he gets within optimal range, but villager is pretty much a pure zoning character and gets shut down offensively and defensively by rushdown characters.

The best camp in smash will always be high mobility. I've honestly always been more worried about Custom Palutena completely avoiding combat than Villager just sitting there waiting to make a bad trade.

BC.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
direprophecy
I'm not trashing you or anything, but the other inherent weaknesses of the character don't really give him much of an edge when it comes to the best characters anyway. You and I both know, Diddy, Sheik, Rosa still outcamp villager with and without the lead, with and without customs.

Its honestly a bit of a sad story there. Megaman has a bit of quickness to him once he gets within optimal range, but villager is pretty much a pure zoning character and gets shut down offensively and defensively by rushdown characters.

The best camp in smash will always be high mobility. I've honestly always been more worried about Custom Palutena completely avoiding combat than Villager just sitting there waiting to make a bad trade.
Yeah, I agree with you. I've realized this all too well.

Kihrah

Smash Apprentice
I've seen Ganbaranai play default villager too, he trashed marios, sheiks and everything else on his way to first. He was on stage the majority of the time weaving in and out and it worked a lot better than just camping.

MapleSyrup

Smash Rookie
NNID
Neegoo
I've never had a problem with 2-stock, but I still prefer 3 stock overall. 2 stock falls victim far more often to things that are considered janky or absurd, and a single SD, gimp, or early kill puts you so ridiculously far behind that it's insane. With 3-stock, there's more of an emphasis on player vs. player, and there's tons of opportunities for the momentum of a match to shift, so much so that entire stocks can be made up through the control a player can maintain during a game.

2-Stock overemphasizes the character vs. character interaction, and the match is far more centralized on that over the player vs. player mechanics. If you don't know a character match up, you're pretty much guaranteed to lose game one unless you're a really smart player. In 3-stock, you have far more opportunities mid-match to learn player habits, character mechanics, etc. It feels far more interactive and healthy in the latter format.

The only real advantage 2-stock gets is that everything finishes way, way faster. Even then, speed isn't a factor if the TO has proper time management. The experience wasn't as good as it probably should've been because Austin overloaded their tournament with events and dead-time. It could've easily finished in a single day. They just chose not to, and it was pretty inconvenient.

3 Stock just feels better. Barring very rare scenarios, it rarely feels like you lose to the character in 3-stock settings. Likewise, half of the time while I was in Austin, I felt that I was losing to characters way more than the players behind them, and even though I got 2nd, I was still mad as hell at all the shenanigans that took place.

Having said all of that, overall, even in a 2-stock setting, the better player will usually win. It's just way, way more prone to fraudulent games, which make upsets happen. Upsets aren't a bad thing inherently, but they feel like faux victories when you know that it was because someone just rage dunked you or killed you in an extraordinary circumstance.

I think I'm actually more mad that so many people are okay with tournaments being that way, though.

Customs are just stupid. I don't care how irrational or bias my comments are on them. They're stupid. Palutena get's free run ins and kill confirms stupidly early. Wario gets stupid hitboxes. ROB get's guaranteed 50/50s that can KO as early as 70%. Sonic gets 30% for every hit confirm. Sheik, a character that already shuts down so many others, gets a move that guarantees into an early KO. Villager is absolutely degenerative as far as gameplay is concerned. Shulk is ridiculously rewarded with single hit confirms. Diddy KOs absurdly early from guaranteed banana hit confirms. Donkey Kong is difficult to hit. Luma is outright broken at times.

It's so painfully obvious that customs didn't give a single solitary **** towards the entire "risk vs. reward" situation most characters have to deal with in this game, and the fact that they're legal despite that pisses me off.

And then they allow them in doubles? What? I'm surprised Jbandrew and Pwii, with how cheesy their strategy already was, didn't bother giving Pwii's Lucario the aura sphere that pulls you in since Villager with that move pocketed KOs opponents stupidly early. If you're gonna go for the anubis crap, you might as well go full satan.

Half of the cast can just hit a single button and ignore bad situations. Custom Palutena is the most guilty of this. She's the second most brain dead character in this game sans Luigi. Sonic's hammer spin dash is so fast and stupid that I was almost never in a completely disadvantageous position.

It was such an unpleasant experience for me. And people enjoy it. That is what drove me insane. I honestly cannot believe that people genuinely feel like these moves are competitively healthy, and even more so, good for the community. Blows my damn mind.

Combine that with the heavily character-based, easy-to-fall-behind-from-a-KO style that 2-stock brings, and you just have a cesspool of bull**** that you need to fight through. It's not fun. It's not exciting. It's just stupid.

Plus, it's 2-stock people. Run 5 minutes. If a game times out, it times out. 6 minutes just makes things run slower, and half of the point of 2-stock is speed as is.

=====

The entire trip was a waste of my time, and I won a good amount of money off of it. I probably won't be going to another customs event ever again, unless it's to team with Megafox or something. The only positive I got out of it was crushing Dallas into dust.

:applejack:

Please post this on /r/SmashBros , Espy! Maybe coming from you, more people will listen.

BC.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
direprophecy
I've seen Ganbaranai play default villager too, he trashed marios, sheiks and everything else on his way to first. He was on stage the majority of the time weaving in and out and it worked a lot better than just camping.
Link me... I didn't see him fight a single Sheik or Mario. All ZSS, Diddy, Sonics

Lucy_ya dawg

Smash Cadet
I've been looking for new tl playstyles. any suggestions? Camping is boring ~_~

also looks like avoids facon was on the fritz throughout that tournament

Last edited:
Top Bottom