• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Go home, you're drunk.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Absolutely garbage reasoning man. This is supposed to be a team based game. GIVE US VOICE CHAT. Advantages? You're at a disadvantage if you're worse than the other play. C'mon. REALLY takes out a big FUN aspect of team based play.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Did they announce future amiibos?

Kihrah

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys I just got splatoon today. Is single player worth doing or should I just dive into multiplayer?
Do you enjoy being a burden to your team?

Play some solo first, duh.
Too late, I'm already the best level 7 Splatooner in the world. Who wants to catch these hands? NNID: LoveKarnage

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Absolutely garbage reasoning man. This is supposed to be a team based game. GIVE US VOICE CHAT. Advantages? You're at a disadvantage if you're worse than the other play. C'mon. REALLY takes out a big FUN aspect of team based play.

You missed the point of the article completely. You are thinking from a competitive, selfish and shortsighted standpoint.

Voice chat promotes trash talk and a means to be tactical/strategic with partners. Both are not bad but both push away the casual base on a system who caters to casuals/young kids.

Nintendo wants you to try out all the weapons and learn the stages inside and out so that you can create your own "jobs" or "goals" or strats. Use your mind, not your voice.

It's not garbageReasoning . It's unique and its catering to the base that wiiu is aimed at. It's very smart and forces you to adapt you self entitled beaver butt. Splatoon is supposed to be chaotic. Lack of voice chat helps promote that.

Tell me, can you be good at a game without voice chat? If not, maybe you are not good in the first place.

Last edited:

BC.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
direprophecy
You missed the point of the article completely. You are thinking from a competitive, selfish and shortsighted standpoint.

Voice chat promotes trash talk and a means to be tactical/strategic with partners. Both are not bad but both push away the casual base on a system who caters to casuals/young kids.

Nintendo wants you to try out all the weapons and learn the stages inside and out so that you can create your own "jobs" or "goals" or strats. Use your mind, not your voice.

It's not garbageReasoning . It's unique and its catering to the base that wiiu is aimed at. It's very smart and forces you to adapt you self entitled beaver butt. Splatoon is supposed to be chaotic. Lack of voice chat helps promote that.

Tell me, can you be good at a game without voice chat? If not, maybe you are not good in the first place.
professional Nintendo apologist

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Keep in mind, this is a game by a kid-friendly company based in Japan. They don't want to tarnish their reputation just because of fatass white gaijins that feel the need to drop f-bombs and say other stupid **** every five-seconds with muh voicechat. Yeah, you could add a mute button, but if everyone ends up muting each other anyways...why bother even adding voice chat? It's human nature to act stupid when given the chance to do so anonymously, so Nintendo is trying to stay ahead of the game.

Plus I don't think they are over that 3DS incident yet.

It'd be nice if you could chat with friends at least...

Last edited:

Xyro77

Ive seen a lot of misconception from various people on the board. It seems like it would be really beneficial to have all that info in one place for anyone not 100% sure. Please tell me if I missed any info you might think is relevant to uninformed or newer players.

Score points
Your score is that number you see at the end of the match. Everyone gets a score depending on how much of the stage they covered. Your teams score total has no impact on winning or losing though. Because of how scoring works its impossible for the losing team to have a higher score total than the winning team.
here are a few facts about score.

-You get 1 point for every "inch/meter" you cover in your teams color.
-Inking walls does not increase score.
-Inking the opposing teams ink does not give a higher score than inking uncovered ground.
-You do not get score for covering your own ink.
-special and sub weapons that cover the ground give score (inkzooka, airstrike, bomb rush, all grenades).
-You do not get score for kills (apart from the ground covered by the death explosion)
-Your team gets a flat +300pt bonus for winning the match. This is added to your point total on the results screen.
-Your current winstreak multiplier does not affect anything score related.
-There is no way to lose points (you can lose coverage but you wont lose points).
-Changes to the map after the match has ended (late grenades, ink strikes,etc) will affect score.

Experience
Both player experience (level) and clothes experience (for perks) and directly tied to your score at the end of the match.
1 score point = 1 exp towards level and clothing perks. You unlock the ability to order clothes from plaza npcs with spyke at level 4. Approach an NPC,press A to inspect the X to order. Takes until date change. You unlock ranked battle at lv.10 (currently unavailable. will be an update). The higher grade clothes need more exp to lvl them up. A 2* gear needs 6000 exp to gain its 2nd skill. A 3* gear needs 9000 to gain its 2nd skill. Heres are a few facts about experience.

-Your current level does not affect how much damage you deal or how much life you have.
-Levels only affect what weapons you can equip and what grade clothing the clothing shops will carry.
-After lv.4 it is possible to order clothes you see on plaza npcs from spyke. You can order clothes you cant buy yet.
-Higher grade clothing does not increase defense/attack. Apart from the # of perks there is no difference.
-Your winstreak multiplier does not affect how much exp/money you get. (chill, toasty, so HAWT!)
-All the match related score restrictions apply to exp since its a 1:1 conversion.

Money
Money is also a 1:1 conversion from your score match result. It is possible to gain money faster than exp by using your winstreak multiplier. If you are currenty at a higher winstreak than +0 you can "cash in" your winstreak by talking to judd infront of the multiplayer lobby (left of octovalley). He will give you a cash bonus depending on your current winstreak. Cashing in your winstreak does mean he will not give you anymore money until said winstreak has a name change or the stages changed. You can cash in your winstreak at every winstreak name but he will only give you the difference. There is no difference in amount when comparing this to cashing in once you reach "so HAWT!". If you "cashed in" by talking to judd when reaching "so HAWT" he will not give you anymore money for higher levels since the name doesn't change.
here are a few facts about money.

-Your single player and multiplayer currency are separate.
-There is no way to lose money unintentionally (the only way to lose money is by spending it).

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Play gears of war and **** of dooty and **** of doodoo clones if you want voicechat
the former mostly, that's a gud shooter albeit dead cause of CoD being as big as it is.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Hey guys I just got splatoon today. Is single player worth doing or should I just dive into multiplayer?

Too late, I'm already the best level 7 Splatooner in the world. Who wants to catch these hands? NNID: LoveKarnage
You degenerate

PRDX

Smash Cadet
NNID
pardxx
Depends on what you call "worth the money"

Give me a list of a few games that you consider worth their money.
Smash, GTAV because its full of content. Metal gear Rising. I guess Portal. Any game that has replay value and that I feel an incentive to go back and continue playing

Last edited:

PRDX

Smash Cadet
NNID
pardxx
What are the main draws to the game. All I know about it is that its a third person shooter where you spray ink everywhere, why is it so good?

RunC.T.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RunC.T.
3DS FC
1204-0385-5852
What are the main draws to the game. All I know about it is that its a third person shooter where you spray ink everywhere, why is it so good?
what draws me in is the customization and level grinding aspects. reminds me of the Disgaea series a little bit. except less rpg and more real time,lol.

honestly i'm not too fond of shooters but this one is the first one that's addicting. probably cuz of the atmosphere the game gives off. caters to both casuals and hardcores imo. that and I main roller,lol.

Xyro77

It is like nothing you have played before. 4vs4 online turf war. Cover the stage in your teams ink color. The team who covered the most turf with their ink wins. Kills don't matter too much.

You can get exp to level up and you collect money too. There are over 20 weapons (sniper, machine gun, grenade launcher, roller and more!!) and new ones being released soon. You can get gear (shirt, shoes and helmets) to give you perks like "damage up" or "defense up" and many more.

There is a 4-6 hours single player campaign that is very unique and creative. It teaches you the basics and pushes it further.

There is also a offline 1vs1 multiplayer balloon battle mode.

Nintendo promises free DLC in the coming months. Part 1 came out 2 days ago. Free weapon, free stage and a new mode.

The replay value is huge.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Lmao except if you literally just implement a destiny style voice chat where you can only hear people in your PARTY, then it's good. I can't trash talk nor hear the other team. Literally just P4 and Gnes when we play.

Are we really banning VOICE CHAT, because it gives an "unfair advantage"? People will still suck or do good regardless. If I get on skype (which I would have to do), it literally defeats the purpose. DUMB. Whether you like it or not, voice chat is a huge thing to many people for a complete online experience (OPINION I KNOW BUT SO IS THEIRS AND YOURS). All splatoon does is inconvenience me to the point of mega annoyance. Not good.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Just use Skype/CurseVoice/Raidcall/RazerComms. Jesus.
It's not rocket science. :applejack:

DEEK4Y

Smash Apprentice
Play gears of war and **** of dooty and **** of doodoo clones if you want voicechat
the former mostly, that's a gud shooter albeit dead cause of CoD being as big as it is.
GoW 1&2 specifically. All other installments come with training wheels and are casul as ****.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Bought splatoon last night. Online is alright. Hoping the campaign will improve how I feel towards the game since I haven't tried it yet. DLC too.

GoW 2 and 3 online is ****ing amazing btw. Never had more fun playing a game online.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Gears was good for its time, most of the community has dwindled while Judgement butchered everything good with gears and tried to center it entirely on horde mode and another shooter series I can't remember.

It's still better than CoD tho, but masses and quantity > quality
The downside also being you need to pay a buttload of money for online (Xbox360, 0 idea on xbone cuz **** that 2nd TV lol), so unless you wanna play games with your friends, who're prolly massive casuals and only want to play **** of dooty, then paying the 60 for 1 year is better to play CoD with friends over playing gears by yourself.

That and the gears series is pretty much done, story and everything from them doing comics and even written books.
There's not much to do now unless they just go down the halo route and keep bringing up more reasons to milk it till it spurts dust or side stories like say, make a game for the pendulum wars or something. What another group from gears 1 2 3 etc. are doing while you're playing as Marcus/Dom (they kinda do this with gears 3 persay, but it's actually DLC for judgement where you play baird/cole after the lambent berserker fight and finding a gorasni ship while dom commits sudoku)

Last edited:

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
Usually we're too busy arguing about amiibos or talking about Splatoon instead of playing Smash on non tournament days
Also as of today I'm officially done with high school!

Kihrah

Smash Apprentice
So I assume there aren't any places? Surprising for such a huge city.
Some people host friendlies at their place all over Houston. Join the Houston/Katy smash 4 groups on Facebook if you want to be in the loop.

Congrats Gaius!! Get ready for college ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom