• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yeah, a ZSS would be nice to have. Her UpB is an almost guaranteed kill move at certain percents if the person can't SDI out correctly and she can be real fun to play if you like playing footsies. Just know her light weight will lead you to dying early and she has some big blindspots.

Last edited:

frcShoryuken

Smash Cadet
I was actually thinking about picking up ZSS as a secondary too. I've tried Yoshi, Lucario, Mewtwo, and most recently Wario, but they just haven't clicked with me the way Sheik did back in Melee

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I don't see it as too much of a big deal
The lyrics are really bad and you will hear the same song over and over again in this 200 hour game.

I've really been thinking and I'd really like to have a secondary other than Sheik
I've considered Falcon Villager Shulk Zero Suit and a lot more characters and I'm just in a stump
I get Sheik is probably the best character in the game but I'd really just like someone else to follow up on in matchups I'm not comfortable in yet but I'm not sure who
Mario or fox.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Mario is very fun, he is truly balanced with good aspects from almost every archytype. True jack-of-all-trades.

Last edited:

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
I was discussing this last night with BC and we've come to the conclusion that grabs are what make the character roster so unbalanced or at least one of the biggest factors in character imbalance.

I mean think about it. All the high tiers except Rosalina (who has Luma) and Yoshi (dat air speed and shield pushing moves) get great rewards from their grab or have very easy to land grabs. Those with good grab rewards get kill throws or mostly guaranteed combos. Of course there are are low tiers with pretty good grab games (Ike and Mii Swordfight), but it doesn't make up for their other lesser qualities.

In another Smash game, this would have not been that big of a deal. However in Smash 4, shields are so strong (very low shield push/shield stun/shield poke) that grabs are pretty much necessary to break through. If you have a bad grab with a bad reward (Ganondorf, Villager, Samus, etc.), you have a major disadvantage.

I like variety in grabs and of course don't want every character to have great grab rewards or none. But seeing as how valuable grabs are in this game (again because shields are OP), it might be a good move in all honestly. Idk, grabs are just too necessary in this game, having so much variation in rewards/execution is inevitably a source of disbalance. Or just nerf shields.

And nerf rolling while we're at it.

Last edited:

Xyro77

I covered this topic after the first 2 months this game came out. Glad to see others are seeing it.

In general, if you have 4-5 of these 6 attributes, you character is good or will become good.

1. Jab combo or jab finisher
2. Grab that leads to a combo
3. Fast mobility and fast attacks
4. Projectile
5. Kill throw
6. Medium/small height and medium/light weight.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
This isn't new stuff now that the meta had developed. Even early on, people knew character likes Ness would never be bad as he was in the past games. Anyone with a kill throw or potential kill setup will always be good unless they purposely nerf the character. Being able to efficiently KO someone <90% is a godsend in this game.

Grabs have always been stupid good after Melee, because for some god awful reason, they decided to give grabs higher priority than regular moves, which is super stupid. Grab armor in Brawl is the dumbest thing they added. And though you can now break away from grabs by exchanging hits, it's still a dumb way of balancing them. I don't know why they reward decided to reward bad plays, but whatever.

Rolling will be truly stupid forever. You can force yourself to read them and punish them better, but it's just dumb how good they are and probably will always be. Melee did it right, predictable rolling got punished and punishing rolls in that game felt good. In this game, not so much because it's more like you get lucky. You can read a roll and go for a punish but miss because dohohohohoho, game mechanics.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Brawl and smash 4 are aimed at amore casual base.

Edit: marth grab game got worse after melee ;(

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yeah, it's obvious game is aimed for a more casual fanbase. At least they are trying something in this game with balance patches, but some of the core mechanics have issues have a competitive standpoint. There doesn't need to be Melee 2.0 but so many things just don't make sense or even feel right.

And if Marth still had his Melee grab range, I would play him. Imagine a pivoted grab with Melee Marth grab range as the base. It's basically a tether grab at the point with no cooldown, lol.

And I miss Samus EXTENDERRRRRRRRRR.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Yeah, it's obvious game is aimed for a more casual fanbase. At least they are trying something in this game with balance patches, but some of the core mechanics have issues have a competitive standpoint. There doesn't need to be Melee 2.0 but so many things just don't make sense or even feel right.

And if Marth still had his Melee grab range, I would play him. Imagine a pivoted grab with Melee Marth grab range as the base. It's basically a tether grab at the point with no cooldown, lol.

And I miss Samus EXTENDERRRRRRRRRR.
I just want to enjoy smash like I did back in the day.

All I really enjoy these days is beating up new gens with a bad character on wifi.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
RT stop avoiding me on MH!

Xyro - I asked on FB, but will you do pools or straight bracket at Comicpoolza? You think this will be done by 7-8p?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I just want to enjoy smash like I did back in the day.

All I really enjoy these days is beating up new gens with a bad character on wifi.
Gross, find something better to do.
RT stop avoiding me on MH!

Xyro - I asked on FB, but will you do pools or straight bracket at Comicpoolza? You think this will be done by 7-8p?
Waaaaaaaaaaaait a second, you're accusing ME of avoiding MH? Why would you do such hurtful things...?

Last edited:

Xyro77

Played Drain for like 15 games. Beat his yoshi and Mario and wario easy. His Luigi is harder but his Mac is impossible to beat. It feels like a more difficult Falcon MU, which is already impossible.

Drain is def up there in skill. I wish he would do more events.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Little do people know, Xyro's weakness is Ike. THE RAGNELL WILL EXTINGUISH YOUR BROILER WITH ITS BLUE FLAMES.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Well I did almost beat you with him...and my Ike is trash mixed with garbage with a pinch of vomit.

I wish he was more fun. So few characters feel fun in this game.

Last edited:

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
I actually considered Zero Suit but don't know what she offers that Sheik already has
edit: Also Mario doesn't really feel right to me
I tried Fox for a while but he doesn't fit either

Last edited:

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
good grab and grab followups arent enough by themselves to make a char good, but not having them is enough to make a char bad

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
I wish Bluebird would do more events
I am mayne been busy with new job, school and a move this weekend. After the move your boi will be back with new tech to show gonna come in strong. Still gotta give you that runback

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Just watched the Nintendo World Championship video.

When he fired Bill at the end, it actually got a laugh out of me. Nintendo actually has really good advertising lately.

AtDank

Smash Rookie
NNID
NinjaGnomie
3DS FC
4570-7718-6176
Just watched the Nintendo World Championship video.

When he fired Bill at the end, it actually got a laugh out of me. Nintendo actually has really good advertising lately.
Yeah, I agree. The whole "this kid is your boss now" got a chuckle but the color fade and "Bill's" face made me laugh out loud.

Xyro77

Wario's high tier though. How's that a challenge?

Switch him out for Link and we're good.
No one is using Wario so his tier isn't determined. Link will be given a chance in the future though. I am doing 3 characters at a time.

Last edited:

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Yeah do Jigglypuff
I can do the Jigglypuff challenge
How about picking one or two chars you enjoy and learning matchups/situations/inside-and-out of them? Put the time in and the results will come, esp if you're playing to learn. Switching around and going back & forth will just lead to you running around in circles. Indecisiveness gonna lead you nowhere.

And stop posting dumb **** on facebook. This statement is more important than the one above.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Gaius, I don't have facebook and I just have some advice for you.

Stop posting stupid ****.

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
I don't have to listen to either of you and if you people can't accept that that's just a part of how I am then I don't what to tell you
I've been posting stupid **** that I think of out of nowhere before I joined the community and I'll continue it in the foreseeable future until I either grow out of it or leave Facebook altogether
Also I've decided to settle on Sheik and Jigglypuff and will be using Jigglypuff more often from now on

Last edited:

Xyro77

I don't have to listen to either of you and if you people can't accept that that's just a part of how I am then I don't what to tell you
I've been posting stupid **** that I think of out of nowhere before I joined the community and I'll continue it in the foreseeable future until I either grow out of it or leave Facebook altogether
Your posts are "attention seeking" by design so when we give you attention by commenting on how poop filled your posts are you get upset?!?!?!?! nice.

Also I've decided to settle on Sheik and Jigglypuff and will be using Jigglypuff more often from now on
there is not one MU in the game where jiggs does better than sheik.

Top Bottom