• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Just read a huge article about Avengers 2. m.ign.com/articles/2015/04/11/avengers-age-of-ultron-marvel-producer-talks-iron-mans-dark-past-and-future-of-the-mcu

Some interesting things......

1. Avengers 2 will focus a lot on HawkEye and Hulk. HawkEye because he was a drone for over half the movie in Avengers 1. Hulk because he skipped phase 2.

2. Most important phase 1 movies that set the ton for phase 2= Ironman 1, Thor 1, cap 1, Avengers 1.

3. The most important phase 2 movies in regards to Avengers 2=ironman 3 and cap 2.

4. The movies that set the tone for phase 3= guardians of the Galaxy 1, Thor 2 and avengers 2.

5. Avengers 3 will not be done by Joss Whedon (Avengers 1 and 2).

6. Though it wasn't said, I get the feeling that a member of the Avengers will die. I read a line basically saying "that members of avengers come and go and that this movie deals with."

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Recovery garbage? what? He has confusion jumping, Ness double jump and then palutena teleport. The distance is amazing and he can get to alot of places safely.

But yea, he doesn't have the safety you would expect from someone so light. Rosalina is heavier, safer, stronger etc. and it works out fine for her.
I said recovery, not recovery options. There is a difference silly.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
He's just what I need for that needle throwing trick
Sheik is quite nearly immune to confusion mixups. You might not have as much fun as you expect.

RT please explain what that means. No part of his recovery seems poor.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
His Teleport is not very good distance-wise.

You have two options to recover with it with no protection on either one.

He has good recovery options however.

See the difference?

Last edited:

Beyond_Space

Smash Rookie
Just read a huge article about Avengers 2. m.ign.com/articles/2015/04/11/avengers-age-of-ultron-marvel-producer-talks-iron-mans-dark-past-and-future-of-the-mcu

Some interesting things......

1. Avengers 2 will focus a lot on HawkEye and Hulk. HawkEye because he was a drone for over half the movie in Avengers 1. Hulk because he skipped phase 2.

2. Most important phase 1 movies that set the ton for phase 2= Ironman 1, Thor 1, cap 1, Avengers 1.

3. The most important phase 2 movies in regards to Avengers 2=ironman 3 and cap 2.

4. The movies that set the tone for phase 3= guardians of the Galaxy 1, Thor 2 and avengers 2.

5. Avengers 3 will not be done by Joss Whedon (Avengers 1 and 2).

6. Though it wasn't said, I get the feeling that a member of the Avengers will die. I read a line basically saying "that members of avengers come and go and that this movie deals with."
If they do it by the comics then captain America will die and bring back to life

Zori

Smash Champion
Sheik is quite nearly immune to confusion mixups. You might not have as much fun as you expect.

RT please explain what that means. No part of his recovery seems poor.
I just need someone with more kill potential, and having an option for the long range game is nice too

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Mewtwo has both, but he dies fast and high-pressure will hurt him because his neutral game is pretty mediocre.

He might not meet your needs for bad matchups.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
His Teleport is not very good distance-wise.

You have two options to recover with it with no protection on either one.

He has good recovery options however.

See the difference?
distance on teleport is good, especially with the horizontal slide it gets when he reappears.

double jump + good aerials is good like ness, very very high jump and he can stall with confusion a bit.

none of that is bad

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
This doesn't change the fact that Teleport has no protection and is a bad recovery move. The only benefit it has is that he is intangible during the move. He only has two place to aim when using it, so you can easily force a ledgetrump and punish him or force him to land onstage and take advantage of the massive cooldown. Horizontal distance is great, but any character can just throw out a move and guarantee hit him when he appears ans is stuck in cooldown. This was the same in Melee.

Again, bad recovery =/= bad recovery options. You are still mixing the two up.

Last edited:

DEEK4Y

Smash Apprentice
This doesn't change the fact that Teleport has no protection and is a bad recovery move. The only benefit it has is that he is intangible during the move. He only has two place to aim when using it, so you can easily force a ledgetrump and punish him or force him to land onstage and take advantage of the massive cooldown. Horizontal distance is great, but any character can just throw out a move and guarantee hit him when he appears ans is stuck in cooldown. This was the same in Melee.

So, if im reading correctly:

recovery options = length and properties of jumps and up specials (or other recovery moves)
recovery = how use of those options influence the match

is this close?

Last edited:

Xyro77

So is Ness an example of good recovery (goes far/nearly invincible once pk thunder 2 is active ) but bad recovery option (People
Jumping out and canceling out pk Thunder 1 while he recovers)???????

No one breaks down recoveries lmao. They are either good (sheik, Samus, pacman...etc) or bad (link, Marth, falcon...etc).

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The move itself is bad. That is the point. Geez, you people are silly.

Fing new gens and Xyro with his new gen thinking.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord

Okay, so jumping special move with high priority hitbox in front of it
+massive double jump and high priority aerials
+teleport with large gap of intangibility
=bad recovery with good recovery options.

so sheik has a bad recovery

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Except...the part where she has explosions on both startup and ending to at least try to protect her. Nice try though.

You're over-analyzing what I am saying, which both amuses and saddens me. Mewtwo's recovery isn't good. I'm not going to write an novel on why it isn't.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I already know you are wrong about mewtwo's recovery.

I just want you to explain the difference between "recovery" and "recovery options". Both of these terms form the exact same idea in my mind. Both refer to a characters full potential to return to solid ground unharmed or at the very least alive.

edit: teleports were bad in melee/brawl because of edgehogging. someone could just sit on the ledge and you HAD to go past them and land with lag. This situation could be forced, ledge trumping cannot be forced at all. They can just grab the ledge and buffer an option.

with edgehogging gone, having a hitbox on a teleport isn't really needed for it to be good for recovery

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Did you ever play Mewtwo in Melee? Have you seen Mewtwo's recovery? It's the same ****.
And no, it wasn't good in that game either. :applejack:

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It's okay Espy, he thought Mewtwo also felt better built than the other characters in Smash 4 even though HE'S THE SAME right down to the moveset. Literally copy+paste with some tweaking.

Last edited:

Grapevine

Smash Rookie
NNID
ButtOut
Everything about Mewtwo in this game is the same as Melee. He even has the same sound effects only slightly bitcrushed.
Mewtwo does feel kind of half-assed, honestly. If someone completes the Mewtwo challenge they deserve 50 bucks.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
It's okay Espy, he thought Mewtwo also felt better built than the other characters in Smash 4 even though HE'S THE SAME right down to the moveset. Literally copy+paste with some tweaking.
The tweaking makes all the difference. My point was that every move feels like it has a use. Not saying the character feel super viable. I just meant that if his design felt more thought out. He feels very unique. And dropping the same character into a different engine with a few tweaks can make all the difference.

Look at captain falcon, overall not much has changed about him over the years, but different mechanics and tweaks to his moveset took him in and out of viability from game to game.

@Espy I just explained why teleports sucked in other games WAY more than this game. If he only had a teleport and no massive jump or special hop, he might be at risk for being predictable with it, but I don't see him being a character that gets gimped.

And the hitboxes don't come out when anyone teleports into a ledgesnap. So the hitbox on sheik's reappearance only matters when she gets on stage. Her Up B is definitely better than Mewtwo's, but his is perfectly functional.

When you said his "recovery" is bad. You meant his "Up B" is bad. Its not bad. Its limited. But its not all he has.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'm too much of an old gen to care to change his mind.

I played some Mewtwo in Melee and am playing him now. He is the same character overall and even has the same flaws. It's like saying Smash 4 Sonic is better built than Brawl Sonic.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Final Houston Tier list for the pre-patch Smash 4 for WiiU

Houston PR

1. Trela :4robinf:
2. FlipHop :4diddy:
3. GrimTurtle :4falcon::4fox:
4. Gnes :4shulk:
5. Karna :4sheik:
6. BC :4villagerf:
7. Whispy :4diddy:
8. Zori :4megaman:
9. Avoid :4falcon:
10. KJ :4marth::4sonic:
10. Tesh :4megaman:
HM: Dao :4falco:

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
The one tonight? pretty sure it already started. But maybe doubles is still going on.

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
This thread will never stop entertaining me
This thread is almost like fox news level entertainment.

Sean Hannity aka Xyro with his pseudo logic and hate for mainstream media (TOs)
RT and his constant mentioning of Benghazi(Hobo12)
Grim is like Kelly. He's not too bad but some of Hannitys poor logic is influencing him.
Tesh doing his perfect Newt Gingrich by always pointing out obvious negatives in statements, but never offering helpful alternatives.
And Onion is basically just Greta. Because I find both utterly unbearable.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Katy Post Patch Weekly Results

1. Karna (Sheik)
2. Fliphop (Diddy)
3. Will (Peach)
4. Whispy (Falcon)

Diddy nerf is hard overall but he's still a viable character. Need to work on new setups

Last edited:
Top Bottom