• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
the only hope I see for custom moves is if someone hacks the 3ds to unlock everything, then they can transfer the data to all the setups.

They already ripped all the music, it's only a matter of time.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Damn, true laziness. It's almost like you're supposed to PLAY solo mode and the custom moves are BONUSES for playing the game.

Thanks for ruining everything, modern gaming.

Last edited:

Gea

Smash Master
It's supposedly a thing where you can transfer data between the 3DS and WiiU. If there is no limit to porting over custom moves...

Inevitably though, someone will find a way to farm them efficiently.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
outside of hacking, I don't see an efficient method, considering it's random, you can get multiples, and armor is mixed in with custom moves. That's a ****load of stuff to hope you get differently everytime, if it will even be possible to do so without dedicating your every waking moment playing.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
...you should be banned from playing Monster Hunter then.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You know what I mean.

You spend hours and hours grinding for a single gem or pallium.

I doubt that will happen for custom moves.

Last edited:

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
idk why I should have to spend the time I could be using to actually learn the game/get better to unlock moves that make a lot of the things I would have learned irrelevant just to please people who want these custom moves to be the standard.

The difference with monster hunter is that the search for the items are a part of the main game itself and how you advance in it, not just an extra thing thrown in for fun (although going man mode no armor is the true way to play)

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Good god, you are the target audience for games like Destiny and Titanfall. Multiplayer only, everything unlocked from the beginning.

Again, thanks for ruining everything modern gaming.

Last edited:

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
I MEAN I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM UNLOCKING THINGS IF I'VE PUT THOUSANDS OF HOURS INTO RPGS AND MONSTER HUNTER AND GAMES LIKE THAT

But if I'm being told I have to have **** that was added in as an extra feature in order to viably compete in a fighter(jk smash isn't a fighter), then I'm just supposed to accept it because enough people whined?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Well...yeah. The whole point of Smash games is to play a variety of games modes to unlock everything. Same thing happened in Brawl and Melee and even 64, had to play some single-player to unlock everything.

Hell, in this game, you can't unlock GW2 stage until you finish the first page of challenges, most of which are just "play x mode once" or you can finish the challenge in one try. And some of the custom moves are challenge locked.

Having to play all the modes in a Smash game to unlock everything is not a new occurrence. Remember 15-minute man Multi-Man Melee? You've just gotten lazier.

Last edited:

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
idk if you're getting my point or purposely ignoring it. But either way I guess we aren't going to agree on this and I don't have the willpower to carry on 5 page convos of the same topic like the rest of the thread so I guess I'll leave it at this.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Well, I guess that just makes it more of a reason to keep custom-moves for side-tournament than actual tourney standard, no?

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
The difference between unlocks in previous installments and the custom moves of today is that unlocking custom moves is completely random. From what I'm hearing (not having played the game yet), it sounds like it could take AGES to unlock every custom move, especially if you're not the lucky type. I would love to see custom moves as a legitimate part of competitive Smash 4, but it's just not sounding feasible.

Edit: Whether or not you think that players who won't dedicate themselves to unlocking every custom move are "lazy," it doesn't change the fact that tournaments run based on the amount of set-ups they have. Not everyone will have the time and/or determination to unlock every custom move, and I don't think you can start restricting 3DS tournament entrants to only those who have everything unlocked.

Last edited:

Gea

Smash Master
I don't think you can start restricting 3DS tournament entrants to only those who have everything unlocked.
It isn't a problem on the 3DS though. You want to use the custom move? It's up to you to unlock it on your cart for yourself. The issue comes in the WiiU version. We have no idea all the fine details yet so it's a moot discussion.

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
That's a fairly large barrier to entry if any of the custom moves become standard on specific characters. But you're right, we don't know all of the fine details yet.

Edit: Mew2King just made a good suggestion on his stream. Ban custom moves for the first six months to a year, and then start allowing them, once everyone has had ample time to unlock everything. He said that right now it would just be who can find the new broken custom move that no one has had time to prepare for.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Edit: Mew2King just made a good suggestion on his stream. Ban custom moves for the first six months to a year, and then start allowing them, once everyone has had ample time to unlock everything. He said that right now it would just be who can find the new broken custom move that no one has had time to prepare for.
That sounds like a terrible suggestion. Inhibiting their growth at all eradicates any possibility of further understanding of custom moves. Even Xyro's solution at the very least gives custom moves an opportunity to show what they are capable of. We get data, if anything else.

M2K's essentially suggesting that we create a status quo that'll only make it that much harder to assimilate custom moves into any kind of ruleset. Especially any less than a year into the game.

:applejack:

Last edited:

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
We could still have them in side events. I believe he was specifically talking about the main events.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Not tech, it a game mechanic if anything. An interesting one at that.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Not tech, it a game mechanic if anything. An interesting one at that.
That's why I said "tech"

It's being incorrectly called that on FB and other social media. You wouldn't know because you are not SOCIAL.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
WELP.

I guess not.

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
I just joined SB to get involved with the Smash scene. I was born & raised in Houston, & come back during the weekend from College Station. I can't wait to go a few rounds with you guys on PM & Smash 4.

Gea

Smash Master
That sounds like a terrible suggestion. Inhibiting their growth at all eradicates any possibility of further understanding of custom moves. Even Xyro's solution at the very least gives custom moves an opportunity to show what they are capable of. We get data, if anything else.

M2K's essentially suggesting that we create a status quo that'll only make it that much harder to assimilate custom moves into any kind of ruleset. Especially any less than a year into the game.
This. Ruleset is super important right now because people are really freakin' resistant to change once anything becomes seen as standard and isn't 100% horrible.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
let me know when shaya shows up so we can have a fire emblem slumber party
Would this just be discussing random shipping and waifus?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'm sure shaya will go off on some ramble about frame data inbetween discussions.
Ban him from the discussion, this clearly does not contribute to who is best FE girl.

Top Bottom