• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
He has 1-2 kill throws.
He has a jab combo finisher.
Great recovery.
Good projectile.
Good gimp game (nair/Bair).

Qualities of a good character.

Trela

Smash Lord
It only took me a day of playing Mewtwo to decide that I would be using him at TGC.

I have been questioning myself when it comes to playing Robin after losing at SAM 3. My sets with Megafox and Razer really shook me up, and although I still have a lot to improve on with her, it's getting to the point where it's not even fun anymore. My mindset has done a complete 180 recently; I was really getting into it all again when I found myself playing solo Robin at tournaments. Now I want to stop using her.

I already know I won't have the same results with Mewtwo by the end of next week, but it feels good to know that your old main in Melee is back and better than ever, and I'm having a lot more fun learning everything he has to offer compared to just getting more frustrated with Robin. I was playing at Karna's house with him and Drain yesterday and didn't even bother to go Robin a single match.......do you know how much better it felt doing this?

Even playing against Karna's Fox, I could instantly point out the differences in both the match-up with Mewtwo and the mindset I go in with against this character. I'm almost certain Fox wins this match-up, but I can already tell that it is not as bad as Robin vs Fox. Same with Sheik, too. Mewtwo has something that Robin doesn't have against these aggressive characters: movement. He comes more naturally to how I like to play, something Zori was pointing out to me the other day, as well.

I will most likely still play Robin in doubles with Grim, because that's the dream team we've been working on from the start. But in Singles, she needs a break. So if you see me playing Mewtwo at TGC and assume I'm trolling.......

THINK AGAIN

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
It only took me a day of playing Mewtwo to decide that I would be using him at TGC.

I have been questioning myself when it comes to playing Robin after losing at SAM 3. My sets with Megafox and Razer really shook me up, and although I still have a lot to improve on with her, it's getting to the point where it's not even fun anymore. My mindset has done a complete 180 recently; I was really getting into it all again when I found myself playing solo Robin at tournaments. Now I want to stop using her.

I already know I won't have the same results with Mewtwo by the end of next week, but it feels good to know that your old main in Melee is back and better than ever, and I'm having a lot more fun learning everything he has to offer compared to just getting more frustrated with Robin. I was playing at Karna's house with him and Drain yesterday and didn't even bother to go Robin a single match.......do you know how much better it felt doing this?

Even playing against Karna's Fox, I could instantly point out the differences in both the match-up with Mewtwo and the mindset I go in with against this character. I'm almost certain Fox wins this match-up, but I can already tell that it is not as bad as Robin vs Fox. Same with Sheik, too. Mewtwo has something that Robin doesn't have against these aggressive characters: movement. He comes more naturally to how I like to play, something Zori was pointing out to me the other day, as well.

I will most likely still play Robin in doubles with Grim, because that's the dream team we've been working on from the start. But in Singles, she needs a break. So if you see me playing Mewtwo at TGC and assume I'm trolling.......

THINK AGAIN
Them solo main feels....

Seems like match ups matter a lot more then skill at high level play this time around, the margin of error seems so small compared to brawl in a lot of mu. This is probably due to game being so new (and IMO) not as deep as brawl.

No need to force yourself to solo main trela, you're a great player and one character can't encompass your skill properly. (:

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Mewtwo's cool.

He has some great combos and great kill setups in this game. He's got jab smash, dtilt>DA/fair, and probably more that I don't know. I find Dsmash near useless though.

He's a character with a strong projectile and a decent reflector. The fully charged Shadow Ball does like 50% shield damage.

He's got a kill throw. Vertically, so you don't have to worry about stage position.

He's light as **** though and like Karna says that's probably whats holding him back. He's also got a big hurtbox which gets even bigger during his attacks.

He'll be ok.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
*internet goes down during storm*

*call Comcast and find out won't be back up until 3PM*

Well then...anything Smash related going on today besides the two tourneys mentioned?

Teshie U

Smash Lord

THINK AGAIN
I figured/worried you would pick up Mewtwo. He is very high risk/high reward so I know someone making sick reads can get the most out of him.

Xyro77

TGC, the largest tournament series in Tx, is having its 2nd event and it is only 7 days away! With Mewtwo being released and a Diddy nerfing patch available, this TGC will definitely be fresh and exciting!

The link for TGC online pre-reg can be found here: smashboards.com/threads/apr-25-2015-the-official-tgc-event-2-houston-tx-see-post-26-for-mewtwo-duckhunt-challenge.394551/ Make sure you buy 1vs1 pass and the venue. Online pre-registration ends in 6 days (24th) so If you haven't pre-registered online, now is the time. If you purchase your venue and 1vs1 pass online, you will be seeded into pools higher than those who have not. Offline/at the door registration is still available like normal and you will
Not be turned away.
As with all TGC events, I severely need full setups (WiiU/TV/SSB4) in order to finish this event in a timely matter. Discounts on your venue fee will be given as well as other incentives so please help speed the event up by bringing a full setup.
Finally, please read the rules on the front page of the TGC thread I posted above. Many things have changed and you will be expected to know the rules when you sit down to play.
If you have any questions/comments, please contact me on FB or Twitter (@ Xyro77 Xyro77 ) or by email at was7x@hotmail.com (title the email (TGC 2).

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Hoohah not as viable.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
You can just register at the venue. He doesn't seed past top 20ish.

Last TGC whispy fought zori round 1. The one before that I fought megafox round 1.

Just accept that you will be seeded as garbage if you weren't godlike at Brawl.

Xyro77

College Station can pre reg until the 24th or sign up in person. Everyone who shows up can register.

Tesh is wrong. I'm doing pools.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Last edited:

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
Now i REALLY prefer 3 stocks instead of 2.
-Couldnt adapt fast enough
-Got gimped and it was crucial to not make any mistakes
Side Note: I Witnessed and lost to a campy sheik lol. just ran away from me the whole time and combo'd my falcon to 190% . lol. 2 stocks is so janky imo. didnt feel like i had a solid lead on anyone

Last edited:
Top Bottom