• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Dammit P4, the Holy Diddy Empire didn't need people to know about this custom move until after they won EVO...

Last edited:

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Coming after gym

I actually played a real good Luigi on For Glory. WTF, his throw kill combos are insane. People complain about Diddy's kill throw confirm, but I think Luigi's got even better kill confirms, just much harder to learn with him.

-Down throw to Aerial Down B (can DI out of it by tapping down)
-Down throw to Fsmash/grounded Up B (punishes air dodges after a down throw, which a of people instinctually do, just nair to avoid)
-Down throw to aerial Up B (works at very specific percents, so learn your character's danger percents)
-Down throw to Down air near ledge (as far as I can tell, there is no way to DI out of this at most percents, you're pretty much dead if he grabs you near the ledge)

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'd probably be down.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I went straight to work from the megabus stop. AUstin is in florida i believe. So...hopefully you arent waiting outside too long.

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace

Texas Gaming Championships (Final Announcement): With only a few hours away I hope everyone is trained and sharp before combat begins. Lets get hype and see you all there!

# 1: BE ON TIME! Venue opens at 10am. You will be DQed if you do not show up for your match. We have alot of events to get done in a few hours so lets stay organized and on schedule!

# 2: Spectator & Venue Fee: Spectator & Venue Fee will be 10$ and this includes entering any tournament plus casuals. You will need your wristband in order to enter the venue so make sure you keep your wristbands on at all times. Security will be checking at the door!

# 3: No Outside Food/Drinks: Le Jardin management has told me that they have a 0 tolerance for outside food or drinks so they are not allowed in the venue. They are strict about there policy and reserve the right to kick anybody out the venue without warning!

# 4: Full Setups - WE NEED SETUPS! Please bring whatever you can to make the tournament run fast. We will need tv's, consoles and games. The more setups we have the faster the tournament will be ran so everyone can get to friendlies/money matches. The 1st few players through the door that brings a full setup will receive a $5 discount/refund!

# 5: Bring Exact Change - Accepting $1's, $5's and $10's!

Oni•n

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Onion546714
3DS FC
5129-2796-7326
I had a blast at TGC today! Shoutouts:

Old man Xyro - You're the best. Enough said.
image.jpg

Illmatic - Had a lot of fun money matching you! Your Pikachu is amazing! Keep working hard, man. You'll get to the top someday.

Kadin - Also had a lot of fun money matching you! Keep working hard and someday, I want to see you money match Illmatic again! That would be hype! Just make sure you beat him this time though.

Krebs - It was nice meeting you today! Thanks for TOing!

Alex - It was nice meeting you today!
Thanks for TOing! #LikeEveryPost

Gaius - We'll do our money match at the next TGC hopefully. Keep up the good work, man. Nice meeting you.

KJ - Thanks for the advice! I'll switch to Marth now.

Cyanide - Nice meeting you today! You're awesome!

Fliphop - Thanks for playing me today! You're awesome! Keep working hard and get 1st place at TGC! Don't let Dallas or San Antonio beat you!

AirbrushKing - Thanks for the free coke! I appreciate it! Also, thanks for TOing!

Sorry if I missed anyone and for the lackluster shoutouts. It's past my bed time and I'm really tired. Congratulations to whoever wins TGC! Also, Happy New Year! #206Entrants #LikeEveryPost

-10 Year Old

Last edited:

Alvisor

Smash Cadet
Had a good time at this event. Nice to see the diversity of players and skills in action. What a great turnout And tournament. I was happy to get compliments on my play even though i didn't get anywhere in the brackets lol. I'm hosting a tournament Saturday March 7th here in Houston near downtown. I hope i can redeem myself there.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
lmao off @ anyone who enjoyed watching BC or me play

At least Zori knows some jank setups after 3 minutes or boring neutral

Teshie U

Smash Lord
He numbs your mind and then he gets that money.

The 1% tower over the peasants as usual.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
After watching some singles matches, I was reminded why I sort of gave up on singles for the most part. Ah well, maybe when Mewtwo comes out, I'll be inspired again.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
^Did you actually get ALSM, Megafox and Houston's top players to agree with that stagelist?

Norfair and Pyrosphere are enough of a stretch in doubles where we are already seeing timeouts, but you want Norfair legal for SINGLES?

edit: the venue description sounds hype, I'm glad to see 8 minutes finally, but it looks like you took 1 step forward and 2 steps back with the stagelist.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Norfair, Pyrosphere and BIg Battlefield are too big for singles and most likely too big for doubles.

Just yesterday we saw Fox/Sonic get timed out on Delfino in doubles grand finals. Do we really need to see how hard people will camp on stages this big. Do you really want BC/Kreb to have 6 ledges? If Norfair is viable in doubles it should be legal with hazards on as they force conflict/stage control.

Ps2 is a perfectly fine stage without this method and Norfair/Pyrosphere are bad stages with or without this method. Its just pointless.

If we are going to be liberal, how about adding some stages that are smaller or promote combat.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Guys don't forget to register for Insomnia this Saturday before it gets capped. Do it even if you're on the fence, you can always cancel later if you can't make it.

Call (281) 440-1405

Last edited:

Krebs

Smash Journeyman
Norfair, Pyrosphere and BIg Battlefield are too big for singles and most likely too big for doubles.

Just yesterday we saw Fox/Sonic get timed out on Delfino in doubles grand finals. Do we really need to see how hard people will camp on stages this big. Do you really want BC/Kreb to have 6 ledges? If Norfair is viable in doubles it should be legal with hazards on as they force conflict/stage control.

Ps2 is a perfectly fine stage without this method and Norfair/Pyrosphere are bad stages with or without this method. Its just pointless.

If we are going to be liberal, how about adding some stages that are smaller or promote combat.
1. Norfair is only legal as a counterpick in singles. Pyrosphere is not legal in singles, it is only a doubles counterpick.

2. Also, Big Battlefield is a counterpick in doubles.

3. BTW You get 3 bans while playing on the expanded stagelist.

4. I am not entering singles OR doubles. I am going to be focusing on running the event.

5. I'd like your opinion on what stages you believe are good for ground combat. Recommend some with your reasons why and i'll add them. Kinda on the fence about Wii Fit Studio, for example.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
If having stage bans is a good reason to allow terrible stages, then I think you should add great cave offensive and palutena's temple.

Stage bans are for solving a specific character or player matchup problem (like striking halberd against rosalina/diddy). They should NOT be an excuse to stuff more cheese and degenerate gameplay into the game.

Krebs

Smash Journeyman
If having stage bans is a good reason to allow terrible stages, then I think you should add great cave offensive and palutena's temple.

Stage bans are for solving a specific character or player matchup problem (like striking halberd against rosalina/diddy). They should NOT be an excuse to stuff more cheese and degenerate gameplay into the game.
Say what you will but I stand by this stagelist fully and feel like more bans is an acceptable way to provide more neutrals and solid counterpicks.

Especially during this experimentory phase.

Krebs

Smash Journeyman
The thread like I posted is a results thread for TGC and only TGC.

This thread we are in now is the Houston thread. I'll kill it off when smash 5 happens.....if I'm around.
I'm sure you'll be around dude. You're not leaving without us at least MMing in Smash 5.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I'm not challenging your ability to have your own ruleset and tournament. I'm just asking you why. As a player in your scene, I just want to peek inside the minds of TOs and see why the rules are the way they are.

If additional stage bans can justify Norfair and Pyrosphere and Big Battlefield, why don't they also justify Great Cave Offensive, Skyworld, Pacland etc.?

I'm also opposed to the idea of having a different ruleset (however slight) for top play. Its a bit silly to me that there are different stages legal deeper in bracket and how are you going to strike from an even number of starter.

The hazards on Norfair actually help the stage suck less by forcing players to get near each other.

I can't believe the people that wouldn't give Yoshis Island a second look actually are okay with norfair and pyrosphere.

BC.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
direprophecy
Pokemon Stadium 2 should be a counterpick as is imo.
Legalize stadium 2, yoshis island, norfair, and gay weed

oh and pilotwings too

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I'm genuinely curious on what's wrong with Pilotwings outside of terrain that can hit you (wuhu island too) and bottom of yellow wing I believe we can camp.
As for Norfair and Pyrosphere stages, too big. Just like Ridley.

The stagelist and giving us more than 1 ban in a decent sized list so far in previous tournaments when we're gonna waste it on Lylat/Halberd then people choose one or the other... OR EVEN ****ING COLISEUM AND WII FIT STUDIO THE HELL? looked sooooo good until I saw the (TOP 8 ONLY) stages

Top Bottom