• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hookshots/Tether broken?

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
I was just screwing around in a few matches with my friends yesterday and while using Toon Link I survived DDD's forward smash at 189%...

If most of you haven't already noticed you can get out of the "tumbling to your doom" animation by air dodging shortly after.

With Toon Link ( and I'm assuming any character that can tether out of an air dodge ) , if you air dodge and tether immediately after getting hit by a strong attack, while DIing toward the edge you just instantly tether and kinda "whiplash" to the edge!

after trying this a few more times I even got it to work in sudden death :psycho:

has any one else noticed this?!?

( I'm really sorry if this is old )

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I have to try this "Snap" sooner or later, Ike Fsmash now fear Jigglys sliding across FD and snapping to the ledge at 999% :psycho:

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
hahah maybe you didnt read the post correctly.

ONLY CHARACTERS WITH TETHERS CAN DO THIS.

hmmm..... Edge Snaping.... nice. :)

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Please be more specific about "Tethers."

Does it work with B move tethers, or only grab-based tethers? That is important for some chraracters like ZSS and Olimar.

Edit: Somehow I missed this post:

I did it once with zero suit samus in cruel brawl... I thought it was luck. Lol.
Now we just need some vids of it working both ways.

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
Ill see if I can have some uploaded on youtube soon. It seems too hard to apply during gameplay but then again I did manage to master double stick teching in Melee. =D

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
hahah maybe you didnt read the post correctly.

ONLY CHARACTERS WITH TETHERS CAN DO THIS.

hmmm..... Edge Snaping.... nice. :)
MY bad, Ive read 2 threads about this, the first one wasnt clear enough, and this one I didnt read well.
Oh well
But still, surviving att 999% with this would be pretty Scary

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Hmm.. I wonder if Lucas can do it with his snake. It's a little short...
He probably can, it would just require even more impressive timing.

And that's all this is - really impressive timing. It will definitely be something to practice, but I doubt it will break the game open. Just a skill the tether characters will have. It even makes a degree of sense.

templar rage

Smash Cadet
That is very useful, I will have to test this with Olimar, since I main him. Music sucked, but, proof aside, that was very good playing of Toon Link, even if you did just take clips of your good parts.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Seems like the best way to practice this is go in training mode and play as the CPU, and have a friend play as player one. Set your damage to some high amount you want to practice with and just have them f-smash you off the side.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I'm pretty sure this will only work for people with their grapple moves set to grab (not up B/side B). I think he's abusing the fact that you can get out of hitstun fast if you air dodge (or at least that's the way it seems from my experience), and from an air dodge you can grapple the stage.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
Guys, I'm pretty sure this will only work for people with their grapple moves set to grab (not up B/side B). I think he's abusing the fact that you can get out of hitstun fast if you air dodge (or at least that's the way it seems from my experience), and from an air dodge you can grapple the stage.

He's right, people are completely missing the point of this. Only characters who can tether with the Z button while in the middle of an air dodge (Samus, Link, Toon Link, and Lucas) can do this. Characters who cannot tether in the middle of their air dodges (Ivysaur, Olimar, ZSS, Sheik, and Ice Climbers) cannot do this, since by the time their air dodge animation ended, giving them the opportunity to tether, the will have already been knocked too far off the edge, at least within the boundaries wherein this tactic is effective.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
It was all brought about by some guy saying he did it with zamus on accident.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
Maybe he wasn't hit very hard then or something, because I honestly can't see people surviving anywhere close to where the grab type of grapples recover percent-wise.

MIRN

Smash Cadet
I did this last week on TL accidentally. I was over 200% and by all accounts should have died. At the time that I had gotten hit, I had taken out my hookshot to try and grab Zelda. Needless to say, my friend was amused (and pissed). We call it the "ninja tether", and I look forwards to perfecting its use in the future. ;)

Coselm

Smash Ace
So let me get this straight:

You have to be hit parallel to the stage, and while you are flying you quickly air dodge and shoot out your hookshot as you are flying past the ledge to grab it and thus cancel out all of the knockback that would have killed you?

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
Lol, awesome. This looks like it could be really neat, especially if one becomes proficient at it. It looks like it'd be difficult to train for, though.

And I actually like Immortal Technique (the rapper on that video). He can actually rap, as opposed to randomly talking about hoes, clubs, and drugs. If you listen, his lyrics are actually pretty intelligent. The screaming at the beginning was hard to listen to, though.

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
So let me get this straight:

You have to be hit parallel to the stage, and while you are flying you quickly air dodge and shoot out your hookshot as you are flying past the ledge to grab it and thus cancel out all of the knockback that would have killed you?
Yup =D thats pretty much it. Its really not so situational to a point where you HAVE to be parallel to the stage.

Oh and Im really sorry I didnt mention that only characters with Z button tethers can do this. =( my bad. Ill try hard to figure out if there is any way to do this with B tethers.

What do you all think a good name for this should be?

Robiin

Smash Cadet
Too bad it will be almost impossible to time correctly in WiFi.. The button lag makes it just too hard, and to unaccurate to get this one right..

AWESOME FIND, however!

Robiin

Smash Cadet
Yup =D thats pretty much it. Its really not so situational to a point where you HAVE to be parallel to the stage.

Oh and Im really sorry I didnt mention that only characters with Z button tethers can do this. =( my bad. Ill try hard to figure out if there is any way to do this with B tethers.

What do you all think a good name for this should be?
Theter fly-cancel? Nah, I don't know. I'm way to tired xD

Psychicmind

Smash Rookie
I'll have to try this sometime. I may end up playing as Ivysaur more often. Good job.

I think a good name could be "tether cancel."

Top Bottom