• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Homosexual Smashers Play as Female or Feminine Characters?

ChikiLucario

Smash Cadet
why would a gay smasher not main ganondorf have you SEEN his bulge
I'm sorry but this is the best thing I've ever read, can I put it in my signature?

I main Lucario... nuff said. Wide hips as if he were a female, because of the shorts. He likes to act tough and "AURA IS WITH ME" but deep down he's just a cute little jackaldog thing.

Oh, also, I main Marth. The female version of Lucina. B) Shulk, too. I must really like the girlier male characters in the game, hah. (Jokes, of course)

That being said, I won't deny that D3 is a fiiiiiiiiiiine specimen~

Last edited:

J⩓мє

Smash Apprentice
Wtf does this even mean? I looked it up and found absolutely nothing except for obvious clickbait articles that were either "Samus Aran is a trans!!!1" or "Samus is NOT a trans1!!!"
I did find this though
"Newhalf" is a direct translation of a derogatory japanese term for transgender or transvestite individuals. You must not have googled very well because the first result for "samus newhalf" on google is http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Hirofumi_Matsuoka, which clearly and concisely explains the context of steppa's statement.
I'd like to point out that the tweet you posted is epitome of Gamergate reactionarily trying to invalidate transgender points of view & identities, by using something they disagree with, the idea of Samus being trans, as a tool in an argument against "people who build their identity around labels", which in context is a snide remark about trans people. If you want to see for yourself how frequent or commonplace it is for people who use that hashtag to do this kind of thing, you can search for the shibboleth 'identity politics' on twitter along with that hashtag and see for yourself a subset of the kinds of behavior I'm talking about.

Explain this? I don't understand.
Sheik is male-presenting in canon and is referred to, up until the reveal that Sheik is in fact Zelda, as male. Interpreting that as a matter of choice by Zelda and not of necessity of disguise (especially since, both in presentation and in established gender, Impa is female), or really the differences in gender identity or presentation between the egos of Sheik and Zelda themselves, has led people to identify with Sheik as being bigender, genderfluid, or a trans identity of Zelda. IMHO this is fully within what one could interpret or personally identify with given the OoT canon. For what it's worth, according to the OoT manga, Impa seals Sheiks ability to know he's anything other than a Sheikah boy.

But to reply about bulges in smash:

Yes.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Something tells me nothing pretty's gonna come out of this thread if we keep discussing this subject like that.
What difference does it really make if Samus is trans or not? Does it affect how much you like the character, because it bloody shouldn't.

J⩓мє

Smash Apprentice
Something tells me nothing pretty's gonna come out of this thread if we keep discussing this subject like that.
What difference does it really make if Samus is trans or not? Does it affect how much you like the character, because it bloody shouldn't.
best way to drop a subject is to lead by example.

stepping back from the serious tones in the thread, I think Peach is the quintessential main for powerbottoms. Not to say all Peach mains are power bottoms, just that if you power bottom you probably relate to her dominant punish game and ability to take % like a champ while still controlling the stage

ChikiLucario

Smash Cadet
Before I comment on this, can I just say that Kirby is the gayest goshdarn character in the roster? I shouldn't have to elaborate. Just look at him. (I'm not basing it on him being pink since to me there's no such thing as colour profiling for genders and sexualities.)

It might be that some people want a fictional role model to look up to or something. "Oh this trans character is awesome and just shows that gender identity doesn't matter when it comes to how awesome one is!"

Which I disagree with because that's a pretty shallow way to look at it. But hey, if the character helps someone get courage or something to get through each day as a trans individual/minority (Or anybody, really), I'm in support of that. The characters we play in smash have had to deal with pain/loss/hardship at one point, even the villains. It's what makes them relatable, and people will look up to them.

Lucario (Or Chiki more specifically) helps me through difficult situations just by thinking about him.

It's hard for me not to smile when I think about it.

(But yes maybe I'll stop talking about it if other people want me to.)

Last edited:

Ꮤhisker

Smash Rookie
"Newhalf" is a direct translation of a derogatory japanese term for transgender or transvestite individuals. You must not have googled very well because the first result for "samus newhalf" on google is http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Hirofumi_Matsuoka, which clearly and concisely explains the context of steppa's statement.
I'd like to point out that the tweet you posted is epitome of Gamergate reactionarily trying to invalidate transgender points of view & identities, by using something they disagree with, the idea of Samus being trans, as a tool in an argument against "people who build their identity around labels", which in context is a snide remark about trans people. If you want to see for yourself how frequent or commonplace it is for people who use that hashtag to do this kind of thing, you can search for the shibboleth 'identity politics' on twitter along with that hashtag and see for yourself a subset of the kinds of behavior I'm talking about.

Sheik is male-presenting in canon and is referred to, up until the reveal that Sheik is in fact Zelda, as male. Interpreting that as a matter of choice by Zelda and not of necessity of disguise (especially since, both in presentation and in established gender, Impa is female), or really the differences in gender identity or presentation between the egos of Sheik and Zelda themselves, has led people to identify with Sheik as being bigender, genderfluid, or a trans identity of Zelda. IMHO this is fully within what one could interpret or personally identify with given the OoT canon. For what it's worth, according to the OoT manga, Impa seals Sheiks ability to know he's anything other than a Sheikah boy.

But to reply about bulges in smash:

Yes.

Okay...I'm going to try my hardest to stay polite, because everyone is entitled to their own opinion, after all...but I'd like to see your sources citing Sheik as male, because the only canon place she is referred to as a male is when Princess Ruto speaks of her in the Water Temple in OoT. The Manga you speak of is NOT canon, I know that for a fact. All smash trophies refer to Sheik as a female, and Sakurai himself referred to her as such. A Nintendo exec said in an interview that she was female (forgive me, for I do not recall his name). The hyrule historia, however, refers to Sheik as being Princess Zelda disguised as a Sheikah boy. This is my concession, of course, but being disguised as a boy and actually being a male are two completely different things, and in my opinion, yes, her OoT incarnation looks a lot more masculine than her other renditions. Her Hyrule Warriors incarnation is undeniably female, as with her smash brothers incarnations. Even the concept art for her twilight princess incarnation depicts her to be clearly female. Now, I haven't read exactly what this thread is about, and I mean no disrespect towards anyone here, but I am a firm believer in a female Sheik and Sheik is one of my favorite characters in video-gaming (as you can tell by my lame fan-boy profile pic). If you insist that Sheik is male, then that is fine, I can do nothing about your opinion and will be able to sleep at night. However, I just want to make sure that we have all the facts straight here.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Before I comment on this, can I just say that Kirby is the gayest goshdarn character in the roster? I shouldn't have to elaborate. Just look at him. (I'm not basing it on him being pink since to me there's no such thing as colour profiling for genders and sexualities.)
I dunno man, Kirby just seems very CHILDISH, not gay. I would say he acts very gender-neutral, and there's no point in assigning any sexuality to him lol.

It might be that some people want a fictional role model to look up to or something. "Oh this trans character is awesome and just shows that gender identity doesn't matter when it comes to how awesome one is!"
I agree. People are trying to make sheik trans when it's literally just a disguise. How does gender identity have anything to do with that? Samus may be bad-ass, but why do people think not conforming to a specific gender role makes her trans? It's honestly kind of ridiculous.

J⩓мє

Smash Apprentice
Samus may be bad-***, but why do people think not conforming to a specific gender role makes her trans? It's honestly kind of ridiculous.
Samus not conforming to a gender role isn't at all why people claim she's trans, they claim she's trans because in an interview for the Japanese Strategy guide for Super Metroid in the 90s, Hirofumi Matsuoka, a designer for the Metroid & Super Metroid games, made a joke using a slur which essentially translates into English as something along the lines of '******/shemale' ("ニューハーフ"). Saying people claim that Samus is trans for literally any other reason is misleading.

For what it's worth, a lot of the hub-bub about the specific topic of Samus's cisgender/transgender identity are centered around an article co-authored by Brianna Wu, which, while well intentioned, falls rather flat & tone deaf like a lot of her other attempts at taking a stand on social issues on various media.

Okay...I'm going to try my hardest to stay polite, because everyone is entitled to their own opinion, after all...but I'd like to see your sources citing Sheik as male, because the only canon place she is referred to as a male is when Princess Ruto speaks of her in the Water Temple in OoT. The Manga you speak of is NOT canon, I know that for a fact. All smash trophies refer to Sheik as a female, and Sakurai himself referred to her as such. A Nintendo exec said in an interview that she was female (forgive me, for I do not recall his name). The hyrule historia, however, refers to Sheik as being Princess Zelda disguised as a Sheikah boy. This is my concession, of course, but being disguised as a boy and actually being a male are two completely different things, and in my opinion, yes, her OoT incarnation looks a lot more masculine than her other renditions. Her Hyrule Warriors incarnation is undeniably female, as with her smash brothers incarnations. Even the concept art for her twilight princess incarnation depicts her to be clearly female. Now, I haven't read exactly what this thread is about, and I mean no disrespect towards anyone here, but I am a firm believer in a female Sheik and Sheik is one of my favorite characters in video-gaming (as you can tell by my lame fan-boy profile pic). If you insist that Sheik is male, then that is fine, I can do nothing about your opinion and will be able to sleep at night. However, I just want to make sure that we have all the facts straight here.
Japanese, being a highly gendered language, offers a lot more insight into the presented gender of Sheik, by Sheik themselves, than the English translation does. In OoT Sheik's use of language in the original Japanese presents themselves as a young man. The English translations of Smash, have been known to include added lines on things like trophies describing Sheik's gender as female, which are entirely absent in the original Japanese version of the game. Other community resources for the Legend of Zelda have discussed the topic. The Hyrule Historia falls more in line with an accurate translation of the canon without the translator insertions/modifications.

While I respect and enjoy Sakurai's character design, and would agree that in the Smash Brothers series Sheik is predominantly presented as feminine, Sakurai didn't produce, write, or work on Ocarina of Time and therefore has no standing over its canon or the canon representation of its characters in regard to it. Both Hyrule Warriors and Smash Brothers are not canon to the original series and simply pay homage to it while using its characters.

As I said before, the individual interpretations that lead people to identify with Sheik being less than a disguise and more of an individual's identity & self-expression are entirely up to those people who view them. That said, I don't feel that they're far-fetched as an interpretation of the existing materials at all.

Back on topic if I were to recommend a main to a bear, would you guys recommend I suggest Ganondorf, Peach, Donkey Kong (for melee?), or who else for which other games?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Zelda may or may not have used magic to aid in her disguise. If she did it's possible she did so to effect a total transformation to male. The theory is split, and not officially endorsed either way. Sheik is meant to appear male, but whether or not this alternate personality IDENTIFIES as male is honestly a question only Zelda can answer.

Samus was originally conceived of as a masculine woman. The original game manual and developers purposefully kept samus' gender a secret to avail the surprise that under the suit is a woman, albeit a beefy woman.

Both however have undergone gradual changes in social landscapes towards femininity as a means of increasing their sexual appeal. Sheik and zss both appear nowadays a strictly feminine and in terms of type of female, more curvy and "attractive." This is the result of pressure from marketeers to increase fan boyish charm and thus sales.

http://www.themarysue.com/metroids-samus-aran-transgender-woman/

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Sheik

Note the sources clearly identify what is theory based on evidence and what is termed official as directly taken from the game designers themselves.

Esphas

Smash Rookie
i think its more that hetero males feel more inclined to pick males whilst homosexual males feel comfortable choosing any character. i feel like for some males that using female characters makes them feel insecure about their masulinity, while most homosexuals dont really care if their choices correspond to their own gender or not

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I like using girls because I like girls, simple as that, basically. And I'm hetero.
Okay mostly hetero.

Esphas

Smash Rookie
not everything that applies to a vast majority of a group will apply to everyone within the group,
besides, youre not really the type of person i was talking about. there are lots of ppl not willing to say 'only mostly hetero', even just as a joke. and those are the types im referring to

Last edited:
i think its more that hetero males feel more inclined to pick males whilst homosexual males feel comfortable choosing any character. i feel like for some males that using female characters makes them feel insecure about their masulinity, while most homosexuals dont really care if their choices correspond to their own gender or not
This goes either way and anyway gender is quite a finicky topic.

If you want to restrict yourself to only those who identify as homosexual or heterosexual you lose out on pretty much everything in between. However, the everything in between is pretty hard to define to bring it up in discussion.

However, I feel the correlations one might draw have nothing to do with your sexuality or gender. They are merely remnants of society imposing particular traits to women and men. Therefore, you sort of end there this cycle of self-fulfilling the same teaching. As in this very discussion goes to reinforce some ideas. One might embody Peach, Jiggs, and Kirby to be pink and adorable. Something that supposedly you have to either be a women or a homosexual to appreciate.

When really no matter what sort of human being you are everyone can come to appreciate those traits without having to be a woman or homosexual. However, it is because of how society teaches many of these ideas of masculinity and femininity that undoubtedly you might tend to see a higher portion of the population skew towards one end or another.

I hope that made sense. Its sort of hard to explain this idea.

Bulgymoo

Smash Rookie
Personally, I like picking females for everything. Like, everything - I main Peach (though I like Fox and Falco too), my fav cartoon characters are girls, and even the main character I've developed for a comic strip or animation I'm planning on doing is a girl, but I'm not homosexual. The only exception is Kirby, who is a male and I adore him. Actually he falls under the non-manly category, but I still like him.

I choose them for their adorableness, because I happen to love cute things. I do it for a change as well - my friends always pick or make male characters because they think they're hardcore. Instead, I prefer to show them that girls and cute things can be hardcore too!

Last edited:

Esphas

Smash Rookie

If you want to restrict yourself to only those who identify as homosexual or heterosexual you lose out on pretty much everything in between. However, the everything in between is pretty hard to define to bring it up in discussion.

However, I feel the correlations one might draw have nothing to do with your sexuality or gender. They are merely remnants of society imposing particular traits to women and men. Therefore, you sort of end there this cycle of self-fulfilling the same teaching. As in this very discussion goes to reinforce some ideas. One might embody Peach, Jiggs, and Kirby to be pink and adorable. Something that supposedly you have to either be a women or a homosexual to appreciate.

When really no matter what sort of human being you are everyone can come to appreciate those traits without having to be a woman or homosexual. However, it is because of how society teaches many of these ideas of masculinity and femininity that undoubtedly you might tend to see a higher portion of the population skew towards one end or another.

yes, i know. if i thought it was purely sexuality and gender identity, i wouldnt have mentioned socially constructed concepts. i know without musculine and feminine what i said wouldnt apply because by default, it doesnt dictate our preferences. but in our society, what i meant is valid, and what you typed essentially was just paraphrasing

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Ohhhh there's a correlation for sure.

Having said that, I'm gay and I main Falco lol.
From all the oh-so wondrous art I've seen - Falco is pretty gay though... Like... -not Wolf O'Donnell gay, but... -he's pretty gay. :'v

why would a gay smasher not main ganondorf have you SEEN his bulge
I uhh... Actually used to main Ganon alongside Roy Koopa before time and patches ruined him for me... *insert "Flame Choke me Daddy" joke here* (I'm not proud of this joke at all.)

As for my two cents on the actual subject in general I think it does have some correlation, but no-more so than hetero players like to play Ike, or Little Mac or whatever. -or any other groups like to play whoever they play.

I also think it can totally go either way where homosexuality is concerned. As a (mostly) gay male, I've notoriously played some very masculine characters in the past, like Ike or Ganondorf. But also notably, I like pink or otherwise bright costumes and Female!Robin (Mostly because Male Robin sucks and his voice acting is poor IMO. Ew, Male Robin, he can't even be gay in FE!Awakening. I'm upset.). Roy is blatantly my main though, and-- okay yeah, there's a glaring amount of signs that Roy isn't particularly screaming hetero.

But, if I can just come at this from another angle, as a furry, I'm also guilty of stereotyping myself a little there. I always end up going back to playing Falco or Fox in some way, and Roy is my main, and he's not exactly human. -and then you have Dadd-- I mean, Bowser, who is notoriously a furry icon (-and a dominantly quite popular one with us homos at that.), so when it really comes down to it I think it's not impossible to say that what character you play is influenced by your sexuality too. It's just a weird two-step thing where your appeal in aesthetics (and arguably even certain playstyles) correlates to your identity as a whole.

You could even go as far as to argue that people who only play top-tiers have a similar thing going on, since those types of people tend to be competitive, etc. -if they just like a character just because they're good, and there's nothing wrong with that, so complaining about gay people wanting to play, say, Peach because she's effeminate, is also dumb because there's a lot of people who only want to play Sheik because she's good. (I also realise this argument is kinda flimsy since being competitive and being Male/Female/Straight/Gay/Etc. are totally different, but as a comparison it makes some sense, so I'll leave it in.) -and it's also the exact same reason there's nothing wrong with me liking Roy Koopa because he's not easy to play or a top tier, and also why it's not a problem with me liking him because he's an anthro turtle and my headcanon is that he's incredibly, incredibly gay and all of that stuff appeals to me in one clean "I love this character." package.

It all kinda goes back to what you want out of a character and of course sexuality is going to minorly influence that for some people since for them it might be a big part of their identity, but I think at the end of the day the correlation is basically both unimportant and largely coincidental or at the very least subconcious. I didn't make a concious choice to choose to like - for example - pink costume Female!Robin because she's effeminate and I'm gay, it just kind of happened. Same goes for any of the characters I play.

Really, in the end it just comes down to who you'd like to dedicate your time to playing, for whatever reason or purpose. I mean, there was a long time I didn't like playing Bowser, for example, and I'm a huge Bowser fan, so... *shrug* (-and before you say anything, yes I too did play Bowser before 1.1.3, sheesh.)

Also, I know a lot of people wanted to drop this, but I feel I have a mostly unbiased input about the whole "Samus/Sheik gender" dealio, and truthfully, I feel that since I don't give a single [F-smash] either way who is right.
In short - my stance on it is that headcanon will always come above canon for people who want to relate. I mean, again, my headcanon is that Roy Koopa is gay. Does that make him more relatable for me? Of course it does. Does it matter to other people? Hell no, most people will never even hear my dumb headcanons.

I think it's completely fair to say that without argument Sheik and Samus are canonically supposed to be female - atleast biologically, since they appear as such - so it would make sense when it's not stated otherwise that they would also identify as such too, since it's the societal norm (Regardless of whether you think that's fair or not, and regardless of what goddamned costume they're wearing, to be frank.). However, it's completely unfair to snatch away and try to disprove people's personal beliefs and attachments to a character just because there's nothing written in stone in canon to say otherwise. I've kind of had a similar thing happen with my idea that Roy is gay, and sure, I know it's likely a flimsy argument in the eyes of many - at the end of the day, he is a fictional character with no discernable backstory so I have no solid proof - but that's the joy of fictional characters. -theories and projections don't really have to make a lot of sense to anyone else regardless. -and that's completely fine. If people want to believe that Sheik or Samus is trans because they have gender concealing costumes in some circumstances, let them. It's not harming your personal experiences with the character at all. In the same way that me believing Roy is gay doesn't harm people's opinions or experiences of that character either.

-again though, just because other people have different opinions on that issue to me, I'm not gonna go ahead and get upset about it. lol I think it's really cool that people have these ideas and theories about characters and how that helps them relate (I mean, I do it.), so I'm not going to berate people for going against my personal ideas on said characters. -that would be stupid. You just kinda have to agree to disagree. -and (again) that's completely fine.
(I probably spent too long on this post. Sorry. Not sorry.)

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
From all the oh-so wondrous art I've seen - Falco is pretty gay though... Like... -not Wolf O'Donnell gay, but... -he's pretty gay. :'v
Poor Falco at the mercy of furries :c

ChikiLucario

Smash Cadet
I dunno man, Kirby just seems very CHILDISH, not gay. I would say he acts very gender-neutral, and there's no point in assigning any sexuality to him lol.

I agree. People are trying to make sheik trans when it's literally just a disguise. How does gender identity have anything to do with that? Samus may be bad-***, but why do people think not conforming to a specific gender role makes her trans? It's honestly kind of ridiculous.
I mean I was going to elaborate in about 4 words why kirby is the gayest character but honestly you're right in that first sentence and I can't unread it so I'm going to back right the hell away from that.

I dunno I mean a lot of men make really convincing disguises to make themselves look like a woman, but they're still CIS males. By tumblr logic, that would make them trans somewhat. Yes, I know, it's incredibly dumb but that's the way it works.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
By tumblr logic, that would make them trans somewhat. Yes, I know, it's incredibly dumb but that's the way it works.
It's not the way it works at all, but it's the way tumblrites want it to work. It's like a lot of them forgot that trans is short for transitioning or transitional. Not bigendered or misgendered or whatever.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Poor Falco at the mercy of furries :c
I don't even think you have to specify Falco for this post, TBH... :') [Furries ruin everything general.]

I guess you could call it

Furcy :pow:

(I have too much to live for please don't kill me ;w; )
Yeah, exactly like this! Thanks for the example! :'D (No furcy for you son, you're gonn-- Oh **** now even I'm saying it...)

[Edit]: Also, about Kirby, let's be real, he is likely male considering the usage of male pronouns etc. in relation to him, but... -really, what even is his reproductive system?.. -is he too young to even have a decided sexuality?.. -can he even be gay in the first place?.. Does his society even hold those kind of masculine/feminine values and ideals?..

I never thought I'd be having a theoretic biological and sociological crisis thinking (-are those even the right words?) about Kirby's Species on Smashboards, but... Here we are. *shrug*
...Hiiiii~! :kirby:

Last edited:

ChikiLucario

Smash Cadet
I don't even think you have to specify Falco for this post, TBH... :') [Furries ruin everything general.]

Yeah, exactly like this! Thanks for the example! :'D (No furcy for you son, you're gonn-- Oh **** now even I'm saying it...)
OMG STOP FURSECUTING US!!! WE ARE PEOPLE TOO!!

(no really kill me I don't have anything to live for)

I do agree but have to admit that I am one of them. >_> Like, low-key, I don't go around saying "fursecute" and stuff like that apart from sarcasm or to poke fun at it. You wouldn't BELIEVE some of the stuff that happens over on furaffinity. It's really sad. That being said, I commission art from time to time, the icon I have was a picture done by my favourite artist. I'm there for the art 'n' people who aren't creeps. But I digress.

What was this thread about again?

It's not the way it works at all, but it's the way tumblrites want it to work. It's like a lot of them forgot that trans is short for transitioning or transitional. Not bigendered or misgendered or whatever.
Oh! Right. JFC yeah tumblr takes a good movement and just twists it so much that it's almost unrecognisable anymore. I think FUBAR is the anagram used. So sad. Feminism started out with a noble cause--equality for both genders--but now it's just misandry. Not only that, but any self-respecting woman will look at "tumblr feminism" and feel insulted because all they do is paint themselves as victims instead of trying to empower each other.

I'm only on tumblr for the pokemon artists and ask blogs, but every once in a while a cringy post makes its way onto my dash and I think "...God damn it"

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
OMG STOP FURSECUTING US!!! WE ARE PEOPLE TOO!!

(no really kill me I don't have anything to live for)

I do agree but have to admit that I am one of them. >_> Like, low-key, I don't go around saying "fursecute" and stuff like that apart from sarcasm or to poke fun at it. You wouldn't BELIEVE some of the stuff that happens over on furaffinity. It's really sad. That being said, I commission art from time to time, the icon I have was a picture done by my favourite artist. I'm there for the art 'n' people who aren't creeps. But I digress.

What was this thread about again?
I'm a furry too, jus' sayin' (as if it wasn't blatant from my roster and/or icon, TBH).

But yeah, this thread is getting well and truly derailed from this and a couple of other things, so I'm gonna stop before it turns into something like "lol All people who play anthro characters are furries! Nya~ x3"... *shudders*

J⩓мє

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to see where you got this notion, since that's not in line with the etymological history of the term trans at all.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I'd like to see where you got this notion, since that's not in line with the etymological history of the term trans at all.
trans
Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 8.01.45 AM.png

I got that notion through basic common sense. If you are a trans man, you are transitioning from one gender to another. Not to some made up tumblr gender.

Sorry but sooo many of them are just ridiculous and made up for certain special snowflakes to feel like individuals.

Peedee

Smash Rookie
NNID
peedeeonedee
3DS FC
0688-6378-2192
I started this thread with the intention of talking about homosexual smashers playing as female/feminine characters...and now it's a fight between gender identity and furry puns.

WHY HAVE YOU FURSAKEN ME, LORD!!!

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I started this thread with the intention of talking about homosexual smashers playing as female/feminine characters...and now it's a fight between gender identity and furry puns.

It's the debate hall, it was inevitable

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217

I'd say I hate you for this pun, but I'm too busy laughing and/or crying at the dumb gender identity kerfuffle going on. :'v

(But yeah, this is an interesting subject TBH - atleast to me - so it's a shame for so many people to be dismissive or digressive of the subject.)

Kaibo

Smash Cadet
Well I mean Cosmo/Narcissa mains Zelda, maybe she mains sheik now

J⩓мє

Smash Apprentice
trans
View attachment 93891
I got that notion through basic common sense. If you are a trans man, you are transitioning from one gender to another. Not to some made up tumblr gender.

Sorry but sooo many of them are just ridiculous and made up for certain special snowflakes to feel like individuals.
This doesn't back up and is independent from your earlier claim:
It's like a lot of them forgot that trans is short for transitioning or transitional.
which is false.

The use of 'trans' (and its antonymic 'cis') especially and specifically in regards to 'transgender' or 'transsexual' (and similarly 'cisgender') comes from the latin trans, which means 'on the other side of', 'beyond', or 'over'. 'transition', however, came to English via French (and is spelled the same way in French), and etymologically derives itself from the latin transitio; which, while related in terms of grammatical construction, doesn't share the same meaning. Trans- and cis- as prefixes have similar use in chemistry for classifying isomers of certain types of organic compounds, as they do in discussing gender identity. So, no, trans is not short for transitioning or transitional, however 'common', 'basic' or whatever else your 'sense' might be.

The idea of bigender/agender/intersex/transgender identities predate and were developed outside of Tumblr. Some (and I'm saying some not to respond to you in a weird lofty or pedantic way, I mean that it's uncommon to encounter such sentiments online, and I'm addressing the sentiment rather than you specifically) might describe these identities as being a 'snowflake', but for persons experiencing dysphoria, distress, or any other reason to desire to identify outside the gender binary as it stands, I'd sympathetically infer that most of them are simply trying to find themselves, when how they feel doesn't line up with the expectations or pressures of the established roles or identities the social construct of gender currently provides.

I tend to reserve using terms like 'special snowflake' for people like those who claim their eyes change color depending on their mood. Though, lately, because of the bedfellows using specific derisive terms like that grants me, especially given the subject matter, I tend to avoid using it.

I'd concede that certain sections of Tumblr or certain individuals therein has or have some issues with using or latching onto existing concepts, in toxic or outrageous manners. Especially since, as tumblr is a tool largely used to make communities around concepts or tags, one can find groups of people, like narcissists and abusers excusing their behaviors, marxists gathering and being uniformly critical of capitalism or anything that involves a privileged or established portion of a dialectic, clusters of people who will defend to the death their right to insult or harass people who share their otherkin identities for being thinner than they are, weird daddy-dom goreans putting random and disturbing fetishized captions on pictures of dolls or leashes, neo-nazi furries, etc. I could go on, but the net result is that, with sufficient experience using google or tumblr's search features, I can go on Tumblr and find a community, however small, that centers itself around pretty much any extreme ideal or radicalization of an idea.

Websites or resources going out of their way to find relatively unpopular notes from these sub-communities in an attempt to illustrate them as representative of, or to argue against any larger group is a form of a straw man fallacy, a fallacy of denying the antecedent, or often an incorrect use of inductive reasoning. Comparing it to something else, if I told people to avoid Smashboards because it contains incorrect frame data, I'd be arguing against site's merits based on a small subset of its members' recorded actions.

J⩓мє

Smash Apprentice
Well I mean Cosmo/Narcissa mains Zelda, maybe she mains sheik now
Judging from Narcissa's stream from yesterday she still mains Zelda. I'm pretty glad her hands seem to be getting better.

J⩓мє

Smash Apprentice

long furgotten thread topics

related.

Kaiduru Zeta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaiduru_Zeta8
3DS FC
1332-7842-2519
Welp. As for my two cents as a gay individual. There is some correlation. Like in other fighting games, I'd play as girls all the time. In Smash, I mainly went with Pika and Kirby. However in 4, I actually play a lot of more female characters like Rosalina,Wii Fit Trainer,Palutena,Zelda etc. So, there is definitely a correlation but it just depends on who you are and what interests you have in that said character.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Welp. As for my two cents as a gay individual. There is some correlation. Like in other fighting games, I'd play as girls all the time. In Smash, I mainly went with Pika and Kirby. However in 4, I actually play a lot of more female characters like Rosalina,Wii Fit Trainer,Palutena,Zelda etc. So, there is definitely a correlation but it just depends on who you are and what interests you have in that said character.
It's funny you should mention other fighting games (-and I think you're actually the first to do so, I haven't been paying much attention.) because really, I think this discussion kind of extends to all games with choice in general, no matter how limited the choice is.

I mean, c'mon, if you played, say, Mass Effect, there's a good chance you picked a same-gendered Shepard on at least your first playthrough - just for example. -and there's also a good chance you romanced someone of the same sexuality as you in the same run (Unless you're a gay man, then "**** you - not until Mass Effect 3.".). While that's kinda an extreme example, I think it's quite telling that regardless of what game you're playing -a lot of people are going to project onto the character you play, or it's going to atleast give away in some (albeit minor) regard who you are as a person.
In a more relatable (to Smash Bros.) sense, you have Mario Kart, where (arguably) character and/or kart choice has less impact and is more limited. But I personally feel that the choices you make will still reflect you in some form, even if you try to make them not. I think it just comes with the territory of choice in gaming - there'll always be some correlation between what you pick and what kind of person you are, even if you don't think it, it's just very likely to be something really stupidly minor and irrelevant.

-and while there's no definitive correlation between sexuality and personality to begin with, the mere existence of the stereotypes society has formed in and of themselves kind of prove that there is to some degree - and stereotypes of players based on character are certainly a thing, so it's inevitable that some gay players will play stereotypically "gay" characters - if that's even a thing. There's just no definitive correlation or causation (If you're really stupid enough to believe that someone playing Peach makes them gay - get out.). -which I'm pretty sure is similar to what I've said before in this thread, but in a very different wording...

TL;DR - A person's traits (such as sexuality) do not cause choices of character or player stereotypes, they're just more likely to happen and are undoubtedly coincidental.

I'd like to quote this post (I only just spotted it admittedly.) just because I think it's pretty good at assessing the general topic. -and I feel it kind of backs up some of what I've already said. I agree with it heavily that a lot of it is just societal norms rearing their head, but I don't think it's a horrible thing in and of itself. If you adamantly think [character] shows that the player of said character is [trait], it's a wrongful assumption, coincidence or that person genuinely has used a singular reason to pick said character and you're completely right... -but that's fine because it's a free world, so who really gives a crap?

Browny

Smash Hater
Is it just me, or do a lot of homosexual smash players have female mains in Melee.
Such as DoH with Peach or KirbyKaze with Sheik

I'm gay as well, and I main Jiggs and pocket Sheik and Peach. I really like these characters, and I hope it's just not me.
Its a well known thing that Peach players by far have the highest proportion of gay players and its quite hard for anyone to deny it when many prominent peach players, across all smash games, are very open about it.

Zelda is probably the clear second.

I've never heard of it being the case with anyone else. Sheik, samus, jigglypuff or any of the girl characters in brawl onwards dont have anywhere near as many players who are so openly gay.

I seriously think its just a Peach/Zelda thing.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I seriously think its just a Peach/Zelda thing.
Well, they're the most popular Nintendo pricesses, for starters. They're also the cutest and/or most beautiful in a lot of people's opinions.

Gamerz31w

Smash Cadet
I'm playing Female SSB characters,but not all.I'm avoiding feminine characters and I'm not feeling homosexual.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I'm playing Female SSB characters,but not all.I'm avoiding feminine characters and I'm not feeling homosexual.
The question isn't "does playing mainly feminine characters make you homosexual" but "do homosexual people mainly play feminine characters".

I play a lot of feminine characters because I identify better with them, but I'm trans, so I'm not sure if that really helps with anything.

Top Bottom