• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Home of the ROBSquad - R.O.B. Social Thread

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Hey guys, I guess I should finally formally introduce myself here! I'm Xeak! You may have seen me posting in the Sheik match up thread. I picked up ROB in brawl about three years ago. I was a Marth main before then though not competitive. I don't really know how I discovered my love for our robot but he just kind of clicked. I had avoided playing him since he was my younger brother's favorite character so I never got much game time playing him.

Anyway, I began my career attending two monthlies for brawl. I didn't do too hot as far as placement goes but I did manage to put Firefly, a very well known Yoshi, into losers my second time around. He put me in losers the first time =P. I've attended every monthly in my area since Wii U released as well as a number of other events. My first monthly I lost to Big D round 1 but much further down the bracket I knocked Bladewise out which was a huge upset. I was super excited to be performing well and ready to be a part of the scene! These days I am happy to consider myself in the top 8 of WA and always striving to put ROB on the map!

My other characters are Rosalina whom I played mostly on 3DS, even moreso than ROB, and Pit who I mostly use for doubles and when I'm not feeling the robot. I like to play almost the entire cast though and try to be proficient with everyone even if not at tournament level. I get a lot of amusement introducing myself at venues as my name is also Rob =D.

Nice to meet you all!

P.S. Oh god, Tommy I didn't know you were so active here! And I was just getting comfortable only having one other strong tournament ROB nearby.
Pacific Northwest represent! I hope Washington comes to Alberta sometime, or we meet in BC or something. I'd like to go to a Pacific Northwest Major, but the Loonie to USD exchange rate is so bad right now...

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Who's hyped for 8-bit R.O.B. in Mario Maker?
I know I'm sold on Mario Maker pretty much solely for the amiibo support. Playing other people's Mario levels is fun and all, but what's better is playing other people's Mario levels as R.O.B.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Who's hyped for 8-bit R.O.B. in Mario Maker?
O.o Since when?

Picture please. I might actually have a reason to get that game now. R.O.B.'s starting to become relevant again! Two (recent) games with R.O.B. playability! YAY!!!

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
O.o Since when?

Picture please. I might actually have a reason to get that game now. R.O.B.'s starting to become relevant again! Two (recent) games with R.O.B. playability! YAY!!!
As of now, there's no images of R.O.B., but it is confirmed that every Sm4sh amiibo will be compatible with Mario Maker, which means we'll be able to play as every character in Smash 4 in Mario Maker. Only in 8-bits, though.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
As of now, there's no images of R.O.B., but it is confirmed that every Sm4sh amiibo will be compatible with Mario Maker, which means we'll be able to play as every character in Smash 4 in Mario Maker. Only in 8-bits, though.
Oooooooooooooh, this is gonna be good...

But wait, what about that one level creator that makes things more modern and not 8-bit???

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Oooooooooooooh, this is gonna be good...

But wait, what about that one level creator that makes things more modern and not 8-bit???
The character skins only work in 8bit

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
The character skins only work in 8bit
Oh. No matter. If I decide to get the game, I'll have fun playing as R.O.B., G&W, Greninja, Villager, and Ness, as well as any other Amiibo I decide to get.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Makes me think of MK DS which was the first game I played that had R.O.B. in it. It is the best MK That I have played because of R.O.B. and snaking.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Makes me think of MK DS which was the first game I played that had R.O.B. in it. It is the best MK That I have played because of R.O.B. and snaking.
I can't even say I miss snaking that much anymore. I mostly miss MKDS because the game felt a lot more full of content than the others thanks to Missions mode and (in my opinion) the last battle mode that was actually enjoyable. It does amaze me how much worse the character selection in 7 and 8 is than in DS despite having significantly more characters though. I hope ROB comes back somewhere down the line, along with Dry Bones.

Not sure when I last posted in the actual ROB boards, so I'll sort of do an introduction. I'm a 3DS ROB main from the UK, currently ranked 16th on Anther's Ladder for 3DS as the 2nd highest ROB and the highest UK player.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Haha yeah I loved Mario Kart DS (My favorite one actually) and it was actually how I got introduced to R.O.B. Also snaking was awesome though I know a lot of people complained about it.

Just realized I haven't posted here in some time...

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
So the final hit of Arm Rotor can ko a lightweight like Falco at the edge of the stage with rage at 57%. I almost never use the move and didn't know that so it was quite the spectacle for my cousin and I to witness.

Speaking of Arm Rotor, I can not begin to tell you how depressing it is getting hit out of up b while going sideways and then proceeding to flail my arms as I fall to the depths below :( both of my 'mains' suffer from that so badly.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So the final hit of Arm Rotor can ko a lightweight like Falco at the edge of the stage with rage at 57%. I almost never use the move and didn't know that so it was quite the spectacle for my cousin and I to witness.

Speaking of Arm Rotor, I can not begin to tell you how depressing it is getting hit out of up b while going sideways and then proceeding to flail my arms as I fall to the depths below :( both of my 'mains' suffer from that so badly.
You see, with the Wiimote sideways, this is not a problem...

Just saying guys...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Oh boy, a bunch of OHKO punches that don't even KO if used when the opponent is at lower %s. Joy...

No offense, but we already know how good Little Mac's ground game is and all that. I'd like to see some strings with Little Mac, I dunno, using some of his aerial attacks and ground attacks? Maybe to just spice it up some from seeing a bunch of punches that we all know are going to kill because of Mac's insanely powerful smashes?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Oh boy, a bunch of OHKO punches that don't even KO if used when the opponent is at lower %s. Joy...

No offense, but we already know how good Little Mac's ground game is and all that. I'd like to see some strings with Little Mac, I dunno, using some of his aerial attacks and ground attacks? Maybe to just spice it up some from seeing a bunch of punches that we all know are going to kill because of Mac's insanely powerful smashes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggf3vv4-5MI

sirchadakiss18

Smash Journeyman

Well...I mean i have a whole bunch of that stuff on my channel...this was for laughing purposes only lol

1FC0

Smash Lord
Aside from the part where R.O.B. gets punched it was pretty funny.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Aside from the part where R.O.B. gets punched it was pretty funny.
And Mr. Game and Watch...

(And just for my sister, it wasn't funny when Sonic got hit multiple times either...)

1FC0

Smash Lord
Lately I have been having a lot of fun with dropping the Gyro and then standing next to it with an Upsmash so that it knocks my opponent into my Upsmash. It is really awesome when it works.

Xeak

Smash Rookie
NNID
XeakSteels
Lately I have been having a lot of fun with dropping the Gyro and then standing next to it with an Upsmash so that it knocks my opponent into my Upsmash. It is really awesome when it works.
If you like that you should watch Mister Eric on VGbootcamp's weekly stream. He gets those set ups all the time. As well as ledge placed gyro drop into down air off stage. It's really smooth looking. I've been practicing these set ups for the last couple weeks. I felt a little embarrassed to have not done this before.

1FC0

Smash Lord
If you like that you should watch Mister Eric on VGbootcamp's weekly stream. He gets those set ups all the time. As well as ledge placed gyro drop into down air off stage. It's really smooth looking. I've been practicing these set ups for the last couple weeks. I felt a little embarrassed to have not done this before.
Yeah I think that I learned this from one of his video's.
And Gyro drop --> Dair spike is great, I think that I have done that once!
I also got Gyro drop --> missed Upsmash --> Grab.

Sometimes I even combo out of a short range laser (Not point blank). I think that it might even combo into Upsmash!

Last edited:

Xeak

Smash Rookie
NNID
XeakSteels
I've noticed The Tantalus, also on the VGBC stream, likes forward smash follow ups at the ledge. I think it might be more reliable though perhaps less powerful. I'm still testing. When I started learning the up smash set up I was very surprised how tight the window is. It's very easy to miss.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Congrats to @ Mister Eric Mister Eric for making top 32 of SKTAR.

On a much much less impressive note, in tonight's 3DS tourney 1st and 5th place were taken by solo ROB mains.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

On a much much less impressive note, in tonight's 3DS tourney (approx 50 people) 1st and 5th place were taken by solo ROB mains.
Woops, accidentally clicked quote instead of edit. Can a mod delete please?

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hey guys, little announcement for everyone:

I may be hosting a tournament soon, and I'd like it if my friends here on SmashBoards would be in it. I'm still deciding when I should do it, and what the rules will be. But it will require a password to get in, so I'll be posting that for you guys when/if I decide to do it. Besides, I know most of my friends on SmashBoards would beat me, but I need the practice. Just wanted to let you guys know.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Hey guys, little announcement for everyone:

I may be hosting a tournament soon, and I'd like it if my friends here on SmashBoards would be in it. I'm still deciding when I should do it, and what the rules will be. But it will require a password to get in, so I'll be posting that for you guys when/if I decide to do it. Besides, I know most of my friends on SmashBoards would beat me, but I need the practice. Just wanted to let you guys know.
Cool I would love to join this tournament. Probably do it on a Saturday afternoon or something.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Cool I would love to join this tournament. Probably do it on a Saturday afternoon or something.
Most likely. In fact, I'm thinking of doing this kind of thing once or twice a month during my free time off school. I'll be announcing the times before they start, so if people are unable to make it at that time, they don't have to join the tournament.

And besides, it's better than just constantly facing the same few of my current friends online (you, PSIBoy, my friends on my Wii U etc.).

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Last night was the first time I I placed top 5 in a tournament, betting 3rd place. Got knocked out my Mr.Doom's Yoshi in Winner's finals and then knocked out by Reverend's R.O.B in losers finals. Still proud of my placing though.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207

On a much much less impressive note, in tonight's 3DS tourney 1st and 5th place were taken by solo ROB mains.
Thx beepo<3
I think I ended up getting 13th. Went toe-to-toe with Tweek and Salem.

Last night was the first time I I placed top 5 in a tournament, betting 3rd place. Got knocked out my Mr.Doom's Yoshi in Winner's finals and then knocked out by Reverend's R.O.B in losers finals. Still proud of my placing though.
Good stuff!

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I have a R.O.B. amiibo pre-ordered (as well as Mr. Game & Watch) I still hope its Japanese since stores in Australia do occasionally have Japanese amiibo and did try and specify a Japanese amiibo.

They said I can just cancel it even when I see him, but I think I might keep they grey one anyway and just try and get a Japanese one in addition to it.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
tfw you use USA ROB and are only planning on getting that amiibo.
The struggle is so fake right, now, and it's great.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Alright guys, just an update on that tournament. I've confirmed that it will be on either Wednesday or Saturday, from 7:00pm to 8:30pm EST time, and will be points based. That's all. Sorry if both of those times are inconvenient for anyone. But I'm still not sure which day it will be, so look for that announcement soon. :)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Tournament update:

Turns out I'll have to host it on Saturday. So, all that I've confirmed thus far is Saturday from 7pm to 8:30pm EST time, and it's going to be points based. Custom characters will probably not be available.

The only two things I still need to do is come up with the password for it, and figure out if items will be allowed (the update on items will come in a few days, password on day of tournament, probably an hour or less before it begins). I understand a large part of the competitive community hates items, but I don't mind certain items. Basically, I'll decide whether or not they'll be on, and if they are, certain OP/useless/irritating items will be turned off. :)

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Tournament update:

Turns out I'll have to host it on Saturday. So, all that I've confirmed thus far is Saturday from 7pm to 8:30pm EST time, and it's going to be points based. Custom characters will probably not be available.

The only two things I still need to do is come up with the password for it, and figure out if items will be allowed (the update on items will come in a few days, password on day of tournament, probably an hour or less before it begins). I understand a large part of the competitive community hates items, but I don't mind certain items. Basically, I'll decide whether or not they'll be on, and if they are, certain OP/useless/irritating items will be turned off. :)
I think we should just have items off in general. Also why don't we use the double elimination style methods most tourneys use. :p

Top Bottom