• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Home of the ROBSquad - R.O.B. Social Thread

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
sup, beepos. I'm Zeph the Blue but you can call me Zeph. been a pretty old member here though most of the time I lurk. I did try to help out on the ROB Brawl and PM forums a while ago. I'm studying game development and am currently the best smash 4 and PM player in my college (though honestly that's not saying much). just now I'm starting to get into the competitive scene, and I managed to get top 40 out of 120 in my first tournament despite the fact that I could only practice on the 3DS for a WiiU tournament. I'm hoping to get better in both singles and doubles and destroy the competition with lasers and gyros. by the way, I usually use the SNES (purple) color, the Wii (white and cyan) color, and the Virtual Boy (red) color. also, autocancelled Nair to Down smash may be a thing.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Them APEX pools be up.
And I got shafted in almost every one lol.

Stacked af.

O well, gotta make a name for myself somehow.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Who would be a better choice for a secondary:

Diddy
Sheik
Pit

I think it would behoove us to have an ace up our sleeves for certain matchups. In Brawl I chose not to learn MK or anyone else because I didn't want to win because I chose the best character, but I think it's important to embrace the "play to win" mindset. Most people agree Diddy is the best at the moment, but Sheik is also up there as well and I think Pit just feels really good.

Who do you all think would cover ROB's weaknesses nicely?

Also, add my NNID and I'll add you back and we can play friendlies.

Last edited:

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
I'm still unsure what secondary I wanna use for tough matches. currently keeping DH as a secondary, with Megaman and Mac as a possibility. maybe even the Pac. my problem is, I play my top 3 pretty similarly: with lots of zoning and heavy focus on projectiles. they all seem to have a bit of trouble killing faster characters and can get rushed on if any opening is made. I really enjoy Mac's rushdown playstyle, but its so tiring to see the enemy on the edge just waiting for a grab and gimp...

Awestrike

Smash Rookie
Hello, I am Awestrike (NotPro ingame on 3DS), a Smash player who, surprisingly, has never played Melee. I picked up ROB in Sm4sh because I liked his special moveset, having a passive charge projectile, an active charge, and a projectile reflect (doubles as a shieldbreaker in teams). After I picked up ROB, I quickly realized that his projectile game was not nearly his entire game, and grew to absolutely adore his aerials and ledgeguard potential. I hope to improve my competitive game with ROB greatly without relying on gyro/laser spam from learning about his meta both here and in actual play.
I am a student (Junior in high school right now) from Indiana looking to eventually become a radiologist.

Side note: My mission is to teach everyone that ROB is truly a mechanical bird that spits blades, lasers, fire, and salt.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild

Diddy
Sheik
Pit

I think it would behoove us to have an ace up our sleeves for certain matchups. In Brawl I chose not to learn MK or anyone else because I didn't want to win because I chose the best character, but I think it's important to embrace the "play to win" mindset. Most people agree Diddy is the best at the moment, but Sheik is also up there as well and I think Pit just feels really good.

I would choose Diddy out of the 3 characters you mentioned, simply due to his low skill floor. You can have a good Diddy Kong simply by having strong fundamentals, and he requires the least practice out of those characters (and perhaps anyone on the cast) to perform well with. I feel like these traits all make for a very potent secondary. The metagame is also not at a point where everyone knows the Diddy matchup so well that pocket Diddys are useless (kind of like pocket MK in Brawl), so might as well pick him up now.

B_Bech

Smash Cadet
NNID
B_Bech
3DS FC
2578-3111-2218

Diddy
Sheik
Pit

Take both Sheik and Diddy. Learning those characters is easy and learning the ins and outs/ hitboxes and such will aid you immensely, considering they are the top crop.

That's what I'm doing. My fundamental Diddy and Sheik tend to beat most ROB mains too, since I abhore the ditto.

I think I've actually used my Diddy on you!

EDIT:

I suppose I should do an introduction as well. My name is B-Bech. I'm a member of the NJ Smash scene, and new to competitive play. I've been making a decent name for myself and getting better each day. My goal is to build the metagame for ROB and help inspire people to play the character! I'm currently watching videos of 8Bitman and thinking... Why didn't I think of that!?

Anyways, I'm a writer and novelist. Some times, a huge spaz when it comes to nerves at tournaments. I love chatting about pretty much anything you can think of so feel free to hit me up. I'm down to train and discuss tactics whenever you guys are!

Wii u: B_Bech

Last edited:

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
I personally hate following the meta. like it just feels like I'm abandoning my characters cause people say these guys are unbeatable.we just gotta find a way to get through them.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
That's a respectable position to hold, don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with playing one character and getting around their faults however you can. On the other hand though, you need to consider why you go to tournaments.

Do I play to win? Do I play to have fun? Most people will say yes to both questions. Then the question becomes: is it more important to win or have fun?

Here's where people disagree. I think having fun is more important but winning is also very important.

Basically, I want to play to win AND have fun.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
I guess you're right. for me, I want to win with my skill and knowledge of my favorite characters, and personally I dislike playing as sheik and diddy. their playstyle just doesn't click with me.

with that out of the way, I'm starting to consider Pit or DDD as possible characters to cover for ROB's weaknesses. any thoughts on that?

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Tiers, tiers, tiers.
This topic interests me. Especially for a lot of new players and how they adapt to the world of tiers.
In Brawl, I stayed a ROB only main. And that... hmm... let's just say I grew and learned a lot. I mean, I was a monster with ROB.

@ GwJ GwJ I think ROB can do it. All by his lonesome. And you might think that you might know that, and just have the outlook that you don't want to struggle more than you have to. I'm in it to win it dude (& have fun). So I'm completely understanding to those that want to tier up or just pick up a 2ndary that can cover bad MUs. You've been around long enough to know what's up. Diddy will be one of the easiest to pick up. I honestly don't think a high level Sheik is that easy. I'm sure we'll talk more about it @ APEX.

For now, I'm going to keep at the ROB only mode and level him up and get a true feel for where I think he stands.
So far I struggle against Sheik and Fox. Maybe Sonic. Maybe Luigi. Maybe Diddy. But definitely Sheik and Fox. Oh...and Lil Mac *blushes*

Last edited:

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Been looking into Lucario or Sheik as a secondary, but I have to agree with Eric that I'm pretty much gonna stay in ROB only mode for now.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Hi y'all names RBreadsticks been lurking this particular character forum for a while but just signed up. I'm looking in particular to practice against people who have tournament experience I want to get destroyed so I know what I'm doing wrong. I have a pretty good win rate on for glory 94% over the last 50 matches but that doesn't mean much when everyone on for glory kind of sucks lol.

My Wiiu name is RBreadstik I would love to have some people to practice with especially Rob mains who have good pocket side characters.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hoping to start streaming soon! Perhaps within the next month.
APEX is so close! AHHH. -nervous-

Hi y'all names RBreadsticks been lurking this particular character forum for a while but just signed up. I'm looking in particular to practice against people who have tournament experience I want to get destroyed so I know what I'm doing wrong. I have a pretty good win rate on for glory 94% over the last 50 matches but that doesn't mean much when everyone on for glory kind of sucks lol.

My Wiiu name is RBreadstik I would love to have some people to practice with especially Rob mains who have good pocket side characters.
Welcome dude! We have a Skype grp if you're interested in getting in. Hit me up with your skype id if you are.

Also, I'd be down to practice sometime!

Last edited:

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309

I have a little bit of tourney experience and a decent pocket lucario, add me and we'll practice sometime. also, I'd recommend using anther's ladder instead of for gory, it's alot better for practicing competitive play.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
I have a little bit of tourney experience and a decent pocket lucario, add me and we'll practice sometime. also, I'd recommend using anther's ladder instead of for gory, it's alot better for practicing competitive play.
Thanks for the warm welcome y'all. I don't have skype yet I'll have to get on that.
Power hungry fool you mentioned anthers ladder, not to sound like a complete noob but how do I acess that? Is it a thread in the forum or is it something more akin to pokemon last generation where there was ways to search for smogon ladder matches via wifi?

Sorry for my greeness im just getting into competitve smash with this generation

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Thanks for the warm welcome y'all. I don't have skype yet I'll have to get on that.
Power hungry fool you mentioned anthers ladder, not to sound like a complete noob but how do I acess that? Is it a thread in the forum or is it something more akin to pokemon last generation where there was ways to search for smogon ladder matches via wifi?

Sorry for my greeness im just getting into competitve smash with this generation
No problem, anther's ladder is a matchmaking website at www.smashladder.com where you can find people who seek to take the game to the next level just like you. Just sign up, put in your NNID/FC , send your match a friend request, and start playing. It has friendlies and ranked games, and keeps up with all of your records in ranked matches, who won or lost, what characters were played and on what stage. Props to Anther for running all that, it's a huge contribution to the community.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Thanks so much too the two of you^ Definitely valuable resources that I'll be checking out in the coming days, thanks for being so patient with a forums noobie.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Thanks so much too the two of you^ Definitely valuable resources that I'll be checking out in the coming days, thanks for being so patient with a forums noobie.
Gotta start somewhere, man.
Get that skype together and join us. We're always happy to help.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
8-bit man here, not to be confused with @8Bitman

Important question, have they fixed the glitch with R.O.B.s eyes in the update?

Breadbot

Smash Cadet
Shout out to all the R.O.Bs at Apex!
Good luck!
Have fun out there and show everyone what the bot's got!

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Shout out to all the R.O.Bs at Apex!
Good luck!
Have fun out there and show everyone what the bot's got!
Too bad about APEX being screwed over, eh? Hope you guys over there are doing well.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
It sucks to see Apex face so many complications. Somehow, it has pulled through so far though, with some help and a lot of diligence. Crossing my fingers nothing else goes wrong.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Thank god for a second venue on such short notice. Apex being outright canceled would suck :/

Brazen Rook

Smash Rookie
NNID
Phrymz
Hello, I'm Brazen Rook, or just Rook. I've only been playing smash since the early Brawl days, and back then never competitively. I decided to give competitive smash a shot when Sm4sh released and so far I'm really enjoying it!
I've always liked playing ROB, and decided to main him early on. In fact, in a game full of living fighters, I find beating them up as a quirky, plastic toy is actually kinda funny!

Edit: Also, good luck to everyone at Apex! I will be watching!

Last edited:

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
my wii u pool is at 4:30. my pool is not ez so I'm a tiny bit nervous going in. but w/e, gonna play my best. only rob main I've ran into so far is B-Bech. o and BO X7

Last edited:

Brazen Rook

Smash Rookie
NNID
Phrymz
my wii u pool is at 4:30. my pool is not ez so I'm a tiny bit nervous going in. but w/e, gonna play my best. only rob main I've ran into so far is B-Bech. o and BO X7
Oh, so for me that would be at about 9:30, I'll keep my eyes open.
Just watched someone named Vinny play a Diddy while using ROB. The stream chat was pretty hype about the ROB action, so I definitely won't be rooting for you alone once you're up haha.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'll pop by and say hi when your wave starts. What's your pool number?

Last edited:

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
sent Larry Lurr to losers, got messed up by him on stream in losers finals. didn't get as far as I wanted, but I still got a lot of work to put in

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
Sup guys, I decided to pick up R.O.B. cause
1) I needed a counterpick
2) He fits my playstyle
3) The little guy needs some love!

Hope to learn get along with you all!

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but dang do I love ROB's tops. I feel like I'm actually good at the game when I get some sick set-up off of them. I'm not sure how viable this actually is, but my favorite thing is getting bairs off a z-dropped top when it pops them up. Earlier did that, put my opponent off-stage, and then chased them off with his dair.

I've also simply let a spinning top pop them off the ledge for a dair set-up before also. :D

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
I've been playing smash ever since a friend loaned me a copy of Brawl. I only recently picked up ROB as I used him for the 3ds conquest and fell in love with him. Also I needed a counterpick. I hope to contribute and learn from this forum.

Top Bottom