• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hit Percentage: What should we aim for? How do we improve it?

P-J

Smash Rookie
At the end of every match, the score screen shows a myriad of stats. One that always interests me is Hit Percentage. I understand this stat can be skewed by creating "walls"or practicing short hop aerials between stocks (I don't personally do it, maybe I should!). In general, though, we don't want to be whiffing too much as that leaves openings.

Of course aiming for 100% would be optimal but we all know that's not going to happen. What do you think is an acceptable % to be ok with or to know "I did everything I could in this aspect of the game"?

Example: I would put my experience level at "Scrub but aware of it, so trending upwards." I main Lucina and like to put up that "wall" as aforementioned. My average hit % with her is ~42%, pretty low in my opinion when you think about just how many of your hits actually connect or are just mindless attempts at making "small reads." I know if I connect on more of my hits, each "attack" will become more meaningful and opponents will have to respect my approaches or reactions.

Now with Charizard, my hit % is nearly 55%. My strategy with him is a lot more grab heavy, so he's doing less hits to begin with. However those hits come in the form of combos from grabs or just pack a huge punch, so it's kind of skewed.

This can also go the other direction where we think about how often should we be "ok" with being hit too...

Do you guys have an opinion on this? Does it even matter?

flamer180

Banned via Administration
Just play good. Dont worry about percents and statistics. Thats a distraction you dont need to get into.

Focus on the game and whoop some ass

Zmac122

Smash Cadet
Just play good. Dont worry about percents and statistics. Thats a distraction you dont need to get into.

Focus on the game and whoop some ***
I second this. Smash is a game of reads and combos. If you are doing your combos, you should have a high hit rate on characters that have combos kappa

P-J

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the advice, guys! Sometimes it's easy to get paralysis by analysis.

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
I'm gonna start off by saying hit % is a meaningless stat. Especially if you have moves or projectiles you are throwing out. Practicing tech between stocks and recovery also plays a roll. But if you want an actual answer in a typical 1 v 1 scenario I view anything in the 30's as normal and if your hit % is 40 or above then I view that as a really good match. But playstyle and character do affect it a lot.

If you wanna check a % after a match look at your given:taken ratio. I think that's a better indicator than hit % personally. It also gives you an idea to what % ur living to and if it's a 1v1 what % ur getting ur KO's off at. Hope that helps. =)

flamer180

I second this. Smash is a game of reads and combos. If you are doing your combos, you should have a high hit rate on characters that have combos kappa
heyyyyy a yoshi main! ;D heyyyyy whats up haha

i want a yoshi gang. like a yoshi pack, like a wolf pack haha

n not even combos, just whatever it takes to defeat your opponent. the ultimate way to play

flamer180

I'm gonna start off by saying hit % is a meaningless stat. Especially if you have moves or projectiles you are throwing out. Practicing tech between stocks and recovery also plays a roll. But if you want an actual answer in a typical 1 v 1 scenario I view anything in the 30's as normal and if your hit % is 40 or above then I view that as a really good match. But playstyle and character do affect it a lot.

If you wanna check a % after a match look at your given:taken ratio. I think that's a better indicator than hit % personally. It also gives you an idea to what % ur living to and if it's a 1v1 what % ur getting ur KO's off at. Hope that helps. =)
agreed. percentage doesnt mean anything

you can easily come back from a bad percent if you focus enough and your opponent gets too cocky

i have defeated a mario with little mac while i only had 1 stock and he had two haha - little mac is just beast lol

flamer180

i am completely immune to percent damage

i completely ignore it, and just focusing on winning. because i know i can win, and beat my opponent. percent doesnt matter when the game can change so fast

either by skill or by accident haha

flamer180

attitude can greatly affect your gameplay

just know inside yourself its always possible to beat your opponent

Top Bottom