• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

History behind your Smash name!

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
In the Smash community, I go by "Crusher" which is short for "SphericalCrusher - honestly, no real history. I made the name when Gamespy Arcade 1.0 launched on PC long ago... as a name that would stick out when I killed someone in Quake online. I thought "world destroyer" of some sort... but it just stuck. After all these years. :D

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
The name "Dastardly Ridleylash" came from Snidely Whiplash, D.Dastardly and Ridley, actually; it originated when Ridley was being talked about all the time during the Sm4sh hype train ride, and how he was intrinsically a villainous character, which made me compare him to D.Dastardly and Snidley Whiplash, creating the name.

Also, it was an excuse to make a avatar of Ridley with a Snidely Whiplash moustache wearing a tuxedo, monocle and a bowler cap. :p

Last edited:

Serperior

Wobbler
Although I first got my name from a pokemon I was eventually called "Serp" by friends and that stuck as my name in most games (LoL, Melee Tag, Starcraft) I dont have it on this forum though because it was taken but thats the history of it:cheep:

TheRealBlueBlur

Smash Apprentice
I thought of Sonic A.K.A. "the Blue Blur".
Then I thought of Sonic Man from Sonic '06.
Then I put the two together and got "The Real Blue Blur"

I still occasionally type "The Real Blur Blur" by accident. I have no clue why or how it happens

Serperior

Wobbler
I thought of Sonic A.K.A. "the Blue Blur".
Then I thought of Sonic Man from Sonic '06.
Then I put the two together and got "The Real Blue Blur"

I still occasionally type "The Real Blur Blur" by accident. I have no clue why or how it happens
R and E are next to each other on the keyboard, you got some leeway.

silkys

Smash Cadet
I picked Silky 'cause it was my Steam name since 2012, and it naturally carried over 'cause I couldn't think of anything else. Silky came from this one scene in the Watamote manga where Tomoko is salivating listening to her favorite VN voice actor saying her hair is "silky smooth". Thought it was funny and matched up my name with the image, and I never really changed it.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
Middle name is Zion and its usually the name I pick for an MMO but one day the name was taken so I had to do a creative intake on it......

the results.

Zion + Mayonnaise = Zionaze....
bruh.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Originally I was going to use the name Arcturus, but that one was already taken on most of the sites I wanted to use. So, I changed it to Arcturian.

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
It's nothing exclusive to Smash, Atrabilious is just a handle I've been using for a long time on the internet.

When I started to use internet message boards frequently in my early teens I used to use the handle Twisted Logic. Mostly because I just liked the way it sounded. As time went on I found it harder and harder to actually use this handle on forums because as it turns out, it was a fairly popular name in general. And it was the name of a Coldplay song which probably didn't help.

So I set out for a new handle to use, something that was a bit different and would suit me personally. I tend to be quiet in person and with the way my face falls, I tend too look a bit grumpy/miserable. Calling myself grumpy something or other seemed a bit boring so I punched it into an online thesaurus and hopped between synonyms until I came across this:

Atrabilious
also at·ra·bil·i·ar
adjective
  1. Inclined to melancholy.
  2. Having a peevish disposition; surly.

I very much liked it, and have been using it for years since.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
It's nothing exclusive to Smash, Atrabilious is just a handle I've been using for a long time on the internet.

When I started to use internet message boards frequently in my early teens I used to use the handle Twisted Logic. Mostly because I just liked the way it sounded. As time went on I found it harder and harder to actually use this handle on forums because as it turns out, it was a fairly popular name in general. And it was the name of a Coldplay song which probably didn't help.

So I set out for a new handle to use, something that was a bit different and would suit me personally. I tend to be quiet in person and with the way my face falls, I tend too look a bit grumpy/miserable. Calling myself grumpy something or other seemed a bit boring so I punched it into an online thesaurus and hopped between synonyms until I came across this:

Atrabilious
also at·ra·bil·i·ar
adjective
  1. Inclined to melancholy.
  2. Having a peevish disposition; surly.

I very much liked it, and have been using it for years since.
Very nice, I like it. I had never even heard of that word before. I guess that's how you know it's a unique username.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
In 2004, I wanted a Neopets account very badly (possibly because my older sister had one), so my parents allowed me to have one. I liked Sparklers, but the name Sparklers was taken, so I named myself Sparkler67. I used this for everything related with gaming (Club Nintendo, Leauge of Legends, etc.) except in Club Penguin. This was the name I used until around 2013 when I had to come up with an actual gamertag (everyone in my group started anticipating getting bigger into the competitive scene). One of my friends came up with the name Khan because a lot of us watch Star Trek, so I tried to be Spock, but there was a problem: there are only four character slots in Melee.

I don't know why I didn't do Spok to shorten Spock, but for some reason I went into the name entry and spelled out S-P-A-K. Dumbfounded as to why I didn't do S-P-O-K, we all laughed about how silly the name sounded and continued on with our games. Since then, the name has stuck and I will forever be known as the person with horrid skills in abbreviation.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Years ago, I played one of my favorite games of all time, Paper Mario - The Thousand Year Door. Upon reaching Twilight Town, there was a boss named Doopliss. He was hilarious, but at the same time he was mysterious. For whatever reason, his cunning and unique demeanor made him my favorite Nintendo villain of all time. He can transform into enemies and steal their identity, which is pretty cool. Doopliss is part of a species called Duplighost, so I was glad to have gotten this username (a version of him is currently my profile picture too).

Not to mention, but his boss theme is awesome as well:
http://youtu.be/8tx6h2lDw4I

Last edited:

Rugal Cuttah

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-8390-5278
I've always been interested in how people came to make their name, so I wanna know how you got yours! If there's no specific way you came upon it, why is it interesting to you!

I'll start off:

So Thief was actually a nickname given to me when I was a freshman in high school. I use always just take things from others for fun ( I would give it back ), but I've done it so much, teachers started to notice and soon started calling me little Thief as a joke, then it just stuck to everyone. Now it's starting to die off since I'm a senior, but I thought it was a cool thing to have a name for awhile.

Ps. It would be Thief or Capt. Hook lol. To this day I still don't know what name to choose
I choose rugal cause I play and take capcom vs snk 2 seriously. I like main normal rugal and think normal rugal snk2 is his best reincarnation, paying respects to his first appearance in KOF94. I even got the import of snk2 so i can here him say his best move-Genocide Cuttah. The best looking I ve seen in any fighter, using his foot to cut like a blade in a rising cresent moon kick.-hence favorite of my favorite fair version fighter, ended with my favorite reversal.(oddly doesnt work as a dp in snk2, think woudlnt notice kof nerfs capcom? think again.)

Foul Play

The biggest geek on the block
NNID
FoulPlay22
3DS FC
3480-3050-4532
I had always planned to make a gaming channel on YouTube, but never got around to it. I wanted a channel name that was cool. My Film teacher recommended something unique, and based off a phrase, pun, or series of words people were familiar with, so it would be remembered easily.

In Pokemon, Foul play is a move that takes your opponents attack stat, and uses it against them. Almost like exploiting their weakness
A long time ago, i was arguing with (a then) friend of mine. She said that sometimes i can say the most hurtful things, and that my "venomous" words had brought her to tears on more than one occasion (not bragging, its a problem)

When it came time to decide a name for the smash scene, i thought back to these times. Foul play, the guy who will exploit the weaknesses of his opponents. It seemed like a fitting name.

kirbzpuff

Smash Cadet
NNID
pikaxluigi24
Kirbz came from a dashiexp video, and kirby is my main. Puff came from jigglypuff being my 2nd main.

Thief_

Smash Rookie
Wow, so many good stories! I especially like the ones who really related to their name!

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
One of my close friends tried to get me into World of Warcraft, and I had to make an account. At around 12 years old and just finished with several Pokemon games picked up at a garage sale, I tried naming myself after all my favorite Pokemon. Of course, all of them were taken. When he suggested I "just add a prefix", I did, and my WoW name was set as Mr. Marowak. Though I never played WoW again, the name stuck and became the one I used for pretty much everything.

Last edited:

Mintcario

uwu
NNID
Mintcario
2015 - 2K15 lol! (Joke)

Actually for the longest time I went by the name A97 on the internet, simply because of this one guy that I had admired a long time ago on a graphic designing board; his name was A90. I liked how short it was but I didn't want to copy him completely so I just added on a seven, lol. I thought it was nice.

Then I made a twitter about a year and a half ago and went by the name anime2K15; don't know why I chose it, really. Probably a Tumblr influence or something lol, plus I was into anime a lot. After a while it got sort of stale, so I just shortened it to 2K15. I like it.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
My original tag was xDeku, but I kind of got tired of it. At the time, I was at a local Melee tournament and had to think of a new tag on the spot. I really wanted soup at the time sooooooo........here we are.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I suppose I should elaborate on my original answer.

My username is a combination of two of my favourite things: the season of Winter, and the physical concept of entropy. Both are laden with symbolism and refer to an important part of my own personal philosophy: that is, the inevitability of death and the beauty of rebirth.

Winter has always been important to me. I love snow and ice, and blue and white are my favourite colours. I love to go out for walks in the snow and just feel my thoughts wander away on the fluttering breeze and the falling flakes, I feel utterly at peace and at one with the world when I do. Winter is the season of death and rebirth: the flowers born in spring wither away and die, and the world goes to sleep under a thick blanket of pure, unerring tranquility; only to be reborn again when the next season come around, and the cycle repeats infinitely and endlessly. Winter symbolises purity and wisdom, and it reminds me that, even beyond death, life will always be born anew in due time. Everything must die so it can be born again. This is the element of Winter.

Entropy is the Second Law of Thermodynamics: to wit, the amount of energy necessary to create a phenomenon is greater than the amount of energy produced by said phenomenon. Thus the universe is constantly depleting itself of energy and slowly decaying away into nothingness; eventually, the universe will die and be no more, and entropy ensures that this is a necessary and essential process of existence. This ties into the aforementioned notion of death being necessary for rebirth: the universe and everything in it must end so something new can be born from it. The end is never really the end, but only a new beginning. This is the element of entropy.

So really, my username is a combination of these two things, and a testament to the absolute love and appreciation I have for the concept of death and rebirth. It reminds me that, even though I, too, will with away and die, I will be born again somehow, somewhere. The spirit lives on eternally, the soul cannot die. Life is just a brief flicker of light, dancing and singing in the vast expanse of the universe, and to die is to return from whence we came and experience the blessed relief of being reborn to do it all over again.

In the end, we are sentient stardust. This is the beauty of existence and the wonder of death and rebirth.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I chose this username some time after catching a shiny Regice in Pokémon Ruby. Simple as that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I came up with the Flight username thanks to one character (of the same name) I made in mid-2010. I only began to use it as my username in December of that year. I sometimes felt like changing it, but as many people knew me by that, I stuck with it. Before that, people had to refer me by YouTube account names (like sparkboltx), as I had no definitive name back then. Nowadays, I really don't mind the username.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miketastic5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Miketastic5
My Gamer Tag is Catastrophe. I came up with it when at KTAR XI, my first tourney, I wanted to enter as Miketastic, my username. At first they put it in as Tactic, then I corrected them, but it was still put in wrong, this time as Mike Catastor. So I was like "Catastor, how can I work with this. Catastor, Catastor...Catastrophe, that's it!" and that's been my tag ever since.

D

Deleted member

I actually got it from a character in the anime Clannad. The main heroine, Nagisa has a mother named Sanae and I instantly fell in love with the name. I think it's so pretty.

GuiltyBadguy

Smash Cadet
Guilty, as in Guilty Gear, and Badguy, as in Sol Badguy (the said game's main character). Sol's one of my most favorite fighting game characters ever! :D

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I usually just use "Zink" when I play. It's my tag for all games, not just Smash.

"Zink Imp" used to be an old animation/comic project of mine, but has since been drastically changed and I probably won't ever release it under that name.

I once has an older Smash tag that I also used for a Smashboard account.
But I can't for the love of me remember what that name was or what the password was. Doesn't matter, this name is cool.

Last edited:

Fekkit

Smash Rookie
The name I use is Sony_, For a long time a friend and I have used the names Sony_ and Microsoft_ for no other reason other than it being because we play pretty much every game together. People enjoyed our names and as time passed others would changed their names to things like Nintendo_ or SEGA_ or Commadore_64 (my personal favorite). One day a close friend decided to write a fan fiction of us as a joke titled "The Salty Consoles" And when everybody read it, it stuck to us forever.

For good or for bad? I'm still not sure.

I really wish I still had a copy of it, because it was long and EXTREMELY in depth. But mostly hilarious.

Edit: Post number 69, I couldn't have asked for better

Last edited:

PKMudkip

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0087-2827-5098
Switch FC
SW-5862-2113-3817
PK- a reference to my favorite game Earthbound which I will play over and over again. The moves that are used by Ness, the protagonist are called PSI Moves and some have PK in front of them

Mudkip- Kinda of obvious, but MUDKIP is my favorite Pokemon. I liked him before the whole "I herd u liek Mudkipz" meme spread around.

wutadisaster

Smash Apprentice
used to work with this guy who was a ****ty worker and this other guy i worked with would always say in broken english " man that is a ****ing disaster" or "what a disaster that guy is" tho whatadisaster is always taken so i stylized the what and spelt it wuta which looks pretty rad when entered into smash

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
Where I got my name is my favorite anime that used to air on toonami back in the 2000s. It's was called yu yu hakusho

Bob Bills

Smash Cadet
Apparently, there was a guy who used to live in my current house named Robert "Bob" Bills. He had moved away years ago. However, GEICO, for reasons unknown to me, continues to send me junk mail to this very day that is addressed to Bob Bills. And the name stuck.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I saw an application running on someone's computer labelled "Iceweasel". I saw it and thought it was the coolest sounding name I've ever heard in my life. I was disappointed when I found out that it was basically Firefox for Linux, but Iceweasel is still a kick-*** name.

0-bit

Smash Rookie
I honestly don't remember why I went with my name.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I was trying to think of a username, when I remembered a funny picture I saw.

image.jpg

Then about one month ago I made a really stupid decision and added "'s Username" to my username as a stupid joke that was funny for five seconds.

Scoot

Smash Cadet
Years ago, I played one of my favorite games of all time, Paper Mario - The Thousand Year Door.
Respect man, paper mario 64 and Thousand year door are amazing totally my favourite rpgs ever.

My name comes from Team Fortress 2, I played it competitively and needed a tag which I went by Lil'Scoot and for Smash I basically shortened it down to Scoot.

Anyone that has played tf2 or even remotely is in the know about it pretty much would know the meaning behind Scoot haha.

Not very original but I like it, better than Dr PeePee :3c

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
...better than Dr PeePee :3c
I'm not going to ask about the history of that username, that's for sure. :laugh:

But yeah, I really miss the old Paper Mario and TTYD. In fact, I might hookup my Wii (my gameCube broke) sometime and play it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom