• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

History behind your Smash name!

Thief_

Smash Rookie
I've always been interested in how people came to make their name, so I wanna know how you got yours! If there's no specific way you came upon it, why is it interesting to you!

I'll start off:

So Thief was actually a nickname given to me when I was a freshman in high school. I use always just take things from others for fun ( I would give it back ), but I've done it so much, teachers started to notice and soon started calling me little Thief as a joke, then it just stuck to everyone. Now it's starting to die off since I'm a senior, but I thought it was a cool thing to have a name for awhile.

Ps. It would be Thief or Capt. Hook lol. To this day I still don't know what name to choose

FGC-Oni

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FGC-Oni
3DS FC
0430-8323-9211
I used to heavily play USF4 and I was a such a hardcore Oni main. I loved the anime cutscenes in game and the characters design and voice. I used FGC as a the first part of my name as I usually only play fighting games these days. But I haven't really played any fighting games other than Smash 4 lately. I also happen to like Oni from Japanese mythology and it's a coincidence that Fierce Deity Link also happen to be referred to as "Oni Link" but sometimes I wish I could change my name though.

Thief_

Smash Rookie
For real dude, I sometimes feel like I need to change it

SevenDeadlyCyns

Smash Rookie
my name is a pun on my preferred name, Cynthia, and the Seven Deadly Sins that the Catholic Church teaches

but that was kinda obvious

TheDongWV

Skronky Dong Country
Purifying in the waters of Lake Minnetonka
NNID
illxblood
Kind of a combination between my twitter name and a joke between friends.

My twitter name is TheDongSide out of a play on words from one of my favorite bands called The Wrong Side. I also have a very huge love for Donkey Kong. Not so much as a smash character, but just in general. DK Country is probably in my top 3 favorite games of all time. So, my friend Mitch (who goes by @Gnarly on here) started saying "You ain't ready for this Skronky Dong" when he would play as Donkey Kong.

Started going to tournaments, and when we would get our name tags, I would just write "The Dong" on my tag.

I also find the word "dong" very funny.

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
When I had to make an XBL gamertag I couldn't think of anything, there was a pack of Marlboro Reds next to my tv (Used to be a smoker) so I combined Marlboro with the first letter of my name and got "Marlboro_Zed", I quit smoking and use "Sir_Zedd" now.

I just shortened that to "Zedd" for Smash

JustYuck

Big Tipper
So whenever I would play my friends they would always tell me that "I was always pulling the swerve" on people. i.e. doing something unexpected to produce a positive outcome. Everyone had cool tags when we played and I didn't want mine to be lame. Swerve wouldn't fit so I settled for "swrv". It sounds really lame when its written out like that haha.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Originally, I wanted "Luna Diviner", after Saïx's title in the "Kingdom Hearts" series. Unfortunately, the name was too popular to be available, so I decided to go with "Sol Diviner", as sol is the opposite of luna, which is also the name many people here knew me by. After a couple of years or so, I changed to "Claire Diviner", because among other reasons, everyone kept thinking I was a male, since whenever they read "Sol Diviner", they would think of Sol Badguy from "Guilty Gear".

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
My favorite pokemon is Mudkip. I named all my accounts with it. "SoB" was the tag of the clan I was in when I played Battlefield 3 semi-competitively. Now I just use it to distinguish myself.

-AtlaS-

Smash Rookie
Atlas is a Titan that held up planets in Greek Mythology. I took that myth and saw it as a metaphor for strength to carry the weight of the world on your back. I feel that kind of strength is just as necessary within as it is physically. I play a lot of Capt. Falcon, Roy, Ganon, Wolf, and Ike. All of which are very strong characters physically and mentally. It just seemed fitting for a powerful name like Atlas to be tagged over some of the strongest characters in smash.

jsmoe

Smash Cadet
NNID
jsmoe495
joesmoe495 is my usual tag, im your average joe and your average smoe. my initials also happen to be JS

Elisay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Elisay7
3DS FC
2552-2548-4286
My name from birth, and it seems pretty unique (I've never seen anyone with Elisay for a name) so I decided to keep it.

PixelPerfect

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Link1182
I wanted to find a username that was more unique and less stupid than most of my other usernames so this just came to me. I have no idea how but I wasn't going to complain about the fact that I finally had a username that I felt fit me well enough.

Thief_

Smash Rookie
Mm, for anyone, I think a name doesn't stick until you give it an image behind that name, hense, make it known that it's you who represents your name and everyone knows it :p

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
JSG is just my initials. I also go by JayEssGee (sounding out JSG), and Jussguh (sounding out JSG, the other way), as well as just JustinJSG. But more recently, I also like going by justn, which is literally Justin, but lower cased and no "i." So... yeah, I go by a lot of things, but they're all interchangeable to me, and they all have their purposes on different platforms and sites, actually.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Keno was the randomly generated name I gave my favorite chao in Sonic Adventure Battle II. I loved the name ever since, adopting it for myself.

Apparently Keno is a gambling game or something, and I didnt know that until recently.

ValiantNorth

Matrix Speedruns
ValiantNorth is a name I came up with a few years back, kind of encompasses a lot about me within the name. It's basically a 'Brand Name' so to speak that I've made for myself and my stream, easy to remember, ect... Seemed to fit it well with Melee so I just kept it as is.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Nintendo=Fav company

Spider=Spider-Man is fav super hero

151=Wanted a number, the number of Gen I Pokémon suddenly popped on my head.

It's an album. I also sometimes go by Icy, a shortening of a previous username I had.

Usually this username isn't taken, but when it is, it's taken by someone who doesn't use the account ever. The world is a horrible place.

Take 5

Smash Apprentice
Mine's inspired from the Paul Desmond/Dave Brubeck jazz classic, "Take Five." I often listen to that tune when I need a reminder to take it easy :)

Also, for the logo I use in my avatar and YouTube channel, the 5 is similar to the "S" symbol from the Metroid series (Smash 4 ZSS main here!).

Last edited:

Nino Rybicki

Smash Cadet
Nino Rybicki was the name of a character in a story that I wrote years ago. He was the frontman of a rock band. (I still have the story on my computer. It's all in Portuguese, though.)

Nino is also my own nickname. My real name is Eugênio (Portuguese for Eugene). I go by my nickname full-time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I love anything that's cute and/or cuddly.

Last edited by a moderator:

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
pepi1197 was originally my user on Star Wars Battlefront II and I just started using it when I got into other games.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
FloatingMew

I've always loved the Pokemon Mew from when I first saw it. People may think it is weird that I am a guy and my favorite Pokemon is a pink cat.

I've always loved the idea of floating, like being suspended in mid-air and being able to fly with no effort.

Mew, being able to float, inspired the name FloatingMew.

In smash, however, I either use Mew or KITTY as my tag.

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
It's a long story and nobody may care but I'm going to tell it anyway.

So my brother got into smash and he had the name "MVP" (not Most Valueable Player something else that I think I'll get reported if I say it haha). So I though it would be cool to name myself "TMZ-Z" but time went on and I did not like that name so I was just "TMZ". But one day my brother got into an anime called "Soul Eater" and one of my fav characters from the series was "Whitestar" and "Asura" so I was Whitestar for a while.

So I was Whitestar for a while a couple months and I chaned it to Asura and I was Asura for serval years and I wanted to be know as Asura in the smash commuity. But as time went by I was not getting know as I wanted to be I wanted to be like Ken or KDJ but a part of it was cause of my name people could not say it right. So I changed it to "Ashara IV" and it was like that for a while then it was just IV. But I did not want to be known as a number I wanted a short name that everbody knew and could say right.

So after a while I could not find one until I play my favorite game of all time Chrono Trigger and I thought "Magus is a pretty badass character" so I changed to Magus it may not be the most orginal name but I like it. And people just call me "Mag" or "Mags" and that's cool and I don't really find "Maggot" or "******" or "Fagus" annoying but that's just me.

I hope you enjoy my story guys even though a lot of you may not read it haha.

D

Deleted member

----------------

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaoszard

Smash Rookie
NNID
chaoszard
My name was created years ago but I never really started using it until the last 2 years or so. I was in a pair of fan groups, one for Pokemon the other for Sonic, and the canon characters I took as a persona happened to be Charizard and Chaos 0. One random day a close friend of mine who was also in both groups slapped the names together and called me Chaoszard. The name has stuck with me eversince and I've even acquired a new persona from it.

DrXenoPootis

Smash Cadet
NNID
DrXenoPootis
3DS FC
3969-6817-9705
Back then I used to love Xenomorphs and well, TF2. The Dr. part came from my last steam account, which was banned. So, Dr. Xeno Pootis. Not referencing to Xenoblade Chronicles or anything.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Saikyō: Japanese for "strongest", and the (ironic) name of Dan's self-developed fighting style in Street Fighter.

Yoshi: GEE I WONDER.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
LIQUID12A came from my PSN; which is the same.

LIQUID came from Liquid Snake, the antagonist of Metal Gear Solid, 12 comes from the year it was made: 2012, and A is the first letter of my name.

Top Bottom