• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hints to Downloadable content / updates

Equinox076

Smash Apprentice
looks to me like everything except sfx and character model.
add about 10-15MB for that (character model only needs code and texture - game engine takes care of the rest. sfx files are mostly <1 sec, and are raw code - not MP3, WAV, etc.)
so, about 30MB?

XDead Sexy

Smash Apprentice
alot of guys are making downloadable content seem virtually impossible for nintendo to do they could easily break the download down into multiple downloads.......like character model Sound effects what not just kinda them serprate but keep the mbundled together.

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
Are you people kidding me? What about those WITHOUT Wifi? They wouldn't be able to get certain characters without WiFi on their Wii if that happens. It's totally unfair and not a bright idea at all.

So no.
Tell that to Sony and Microsoft. Seriously, Nintendo is like the only company that doesn't do this nowadays. However, Nintendo can release an update disc that those who don't have WiFi can purchase. I know this is what Microsoft did with the Halo games and the extra maps...you could either pay and download them, or buy the expansion disc.

BTW, Epsilon52...

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, since I don't know anything about hacking games...but would it be possible to hack Brawl and make some of the assist trophies playable? Not ones like Andross or the Nintendodog obviously, but ones like Little Mac or Krystal if she ends up being one?

BraveDave88

Smash Apprentice
Definitely think there's a snowballs chance in helsinki of it happening, but you must admit that if, for example, Ridley got slapped up on the Wii Shop Channel, most every Brawl owner would buy him.

It'd be a smart business move, but Nintendo needs to get out of the internet's dark ages first, maybe by the next Smash game we'll see something definite.

Dark_Cloud

Smash Apprentice
All of you are saying that nintendo is crap in the way of downloadable content. Other arguments state that noones else has had downloadable characters and yadda yadda.

The biggest argument towards nintendo supporting downloadable content has been missed. Virtual console.

1. Nindendo lets you download FULL n64, snses nes, sega, and whatever else games. They even have the ability to update theses games (ex: Pokemon Snap and the ability to save pictures from the game to your sd card)

2. No other console or downloadable service out there lets you do this! So why is it not possible that nintendo could give us downloadable characters.

So yeah.. that being said, I'd like to state that I still think it is VERY doubtful we will get more characters. And I am pretty satisfied with the roster (besides the no megaman part <<)

KingKraken

Smash Journeyman
The Notices are for things such as Custom stages that your friends sent you, or Pics, or videos. As much as I would love it, I don't think it will happen.

masterbraz

Smash Apprentice
i just don't see online content coming because nintendo is10 years in the past when it comes to online gaming and we need a harddrive!

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Are you people kidding me? What about those WITHOUT Wifi? They wouldn't be able to get certain characters without WiFi on their Wii if that happens. It's totally unfair and not a bright idea at all.

So no.
Hey, in Pokemon, without a friend with the game and a Link Cable, you couldn't get certain Pokemon. It's the same thing.

Tell that to Sony and Microsoft. Seriously, Nintendo is like the only company that doesn't do this nowadays. However, Nintendo can release an update disc that those who don't have WiFi can purchase. I know this is what Microsoft did with the Halo games and the extra maps...you could either pay and download them, or buy the expansion disc.

BTW, Epsilon52...

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, since I don't know anything about hacking games...but would it be possible to hack Brawl and make some of the assist trophies playable? Not ones like Andross or the Nintendodog obviously, but ones like Little Mac or Krystal if she ends up being one?
I was thinking if I could get my hands on the game reversed engineered, that I could do that.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Sakurai said in one of Iwata Asks that this game will have more characters than you believe.

We believe theres 35, the rest will be downloaded :D

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
Sakurai: Sry for roster here are geno, ridley, krystal, and bowser jr(download).........my bad

Next day almost everyone: OMG WTF WHERE"S BOMBER MAN

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
i would love love love if there was downloadable content. I've heard that sakauri has said that this was his last smash. So lets say there were things he wanted to fit into brawl that he just didnt have the time to do. Soooo why not make the new content downloadable? I think its a great idea that would make brawl one of the best games ever. The only problem would be playing agaisnt someone online who does not have the same stuff as you.

PeachFan

Smash Cadet
NNID
DelphinusV
3DS FC
2595-0710-4989
I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I do think it's possible. All you people saying that a character is too big to download without a hard drive are severely overestimating the file size of a character, I think the 30 megabyte estimates are quite reasonable. I mean, look at it this way, assuming brawl is a dual layer DVD, that's 9 Gigabytes, that includes the entire game in which obviously the characters are just a small part. All the stages and music and FMVs more than likely take up the lion's share of the space particularly if you count SSE. The Wii supports 2 GB SD cards, that would hold more than 2/10 of the game. So it's hard for me to believe that you couldn't download several characters on even a 1GB card.

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
I've e-mailed Nintendo on the matter, and after 3 ever more concisely phrased e-mails, I got something that began to look like an answer! The basic gist of my question was "Can the Wii handle downloaded content/expansions for its games?" The answer is guarded, but this is probably the best we'll get.

Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

We appreciate hearing about the types of products that you would like to see from us in the future. While there hasn't been an announcement concerning a Wii console update that would include any of the features you asked about in your e-mail, you never know what the future holds! As the worldwide leader and innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, and because of our history of pushing the limits of gameplay and design, you can always count on Nintendo offering the most imaginative products.

Please note, aside from SD Cards, at this time the Wii console does not support external storage devices, such as USB drives or external hard drives. While it's possible to transfer a file manually to an external storage device using an SD Card, there is currently no way to save directly or to transfer files directly to such a device from your Wii console. If such functionality is granted via a future system update and WiiConnect24 is activated, we will post it to our website, and might possibly send notice via the Wii Message Board. In the meantime, keep checking our website's "What's New" section (http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew) for the latest information and announcements. Sincerely, Nintendo of America Inc.
So...Ninty says that they haven't "released" plans to do this yet...as ambigous as ever. Note that I didn't ask if they were but if the system was even capable, and they seem Hell-bent on staying away from that topic.

So...who bets at the next game conference they "announce" something? I'm not sure if I do...but it's possible.

EDIT: And another thought...we've begun ripping the game disc, correct? Doesn't that mean we can see EXACTLY how much space a character will take up?

CubPwnzAll

Smash Rookie
And I still have yet to see the actual size of a character. The sound affects seem to be ~18 MB alone though, so when you bring the model into the picture... quite a bit of space.
Yes but it seems, if you think about it, the sound should be the largest (memory occupying) thing of all in a character, no? If not then the model definitely. But nonetheless, I would think that code and button coordination would be the least of the memory worries.

Heflito

Smash Cadet
I just don't see it happening. Trust me when I say I wish it would but it's best if we accept it wont and we're satisfied with the characters we have. Then if it does happen then it will be that much better.
Now on the other hand all this talk of hacking the game is completly feesable. However just note, that you'll be playing as clones. example: Say there is a Kyrstal AS, the only way to make her playable it to map someone elses moves to her. So it would be a clone, and for me that would kinda sour the experiance to have one more landmaster. lol.

Kirbykrew

Smash Journeyman
For those who actually think this: The Brawl Develpoment team will leave after the game is done. what makes you think they'll keep coming back together to add character by character? Just accept the Roster and move on.

Mediator

Smash Journeyman
I've e-mailed Nintendo on the matter, and after 3 ever more concisely phrased e-mails, I got something that began to look like an answer! The basic gist of my question was "Can the Wii handle downloaded content/expansions for its games?" The answer is guarded, but this is probably the best we'll get.

So...Ninty says that they haven't "released" plans to do this yet...as ambigous as ever. Note that I didn't ask if they were but if the system was even capable, and they seem Hell-bent on staying away from that topic.

So...who bets at the next game conference they "announce" something? I'm not sure if I do...but it's possible.

EDIT: And another thought...we've begun ripping the game disc, correct? Doesn't that mean we can see EXACTLY how much space a character will take up?

most of that was talking about the hard drives you nitty witty!!!

oh!

my thread was locked

bauga

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace

That email does seem it's pointing to downloadable content in the future, but really bashes the external HDD, but doesn't say it's impossible.

Ohh, and the full character data for Ganondorf on Brawl is only 17.5 MB if that tells you anything.

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
They aren't going to have downloadable characters. Period. The amount of code that goes into a character is too much, and simply put, it wouldn't be worth it, given the amount of testing it'd take to balance a new character (or characters). Stages I can see, but characters? Not so much.

And that's assuming their textures/polygons/motion doesn't take up a ton of space in terms of memory as well.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
They aren't going to have downloadable characters. Period. The amount of code that goes into a character is too much, and simply put, it wouldn't be worth it, given the amount of testing it'd take to balance a new character (or characters). Stages I can see, but characters? Not so much.

And that's assuming their textures/polygons/motion doesn't take up a ton of space in terms of memory as well.
Dude, the game is decrypted and the character data only take 17.5 MB, not a big deal even to the Wii and it's half a gig of memory.

Nintendo could double it's profit alone with DLC, they'd be silly not to invest in it.

Greevy

Smash Cadet
Personally, from someone with very minimum computer knowledge, I'd think that a smash character would take up far less space then the entire Super Mario 64 gam. I doubt they'd do consistent character downloads, but maybe assist trophies to populize new games. Hopefully, there will be some add on characters (here's looking at you fan favorites), expecially if the whole Geno rumor was true and they at one point had some sort of working model of him. Square can't be that heartless enough to keep him out of our hands forever can they?

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Dude, the game is decrypted and the character data only take 17.5 MB, not a big deal even to the Wii and it's half a gig of memory.

Nintendo could double it's profit alone with DLC, they'd be silly not to invest in it.
Double its profits? I doubt it. There are many problems with this theory:

1) Everyone would need the full character data to render it properly; this means that per character, you'd need a minimum of 17.5 MB of memory on all Wiis involved in the match (assuming 17.5 MB is the correct amount for a character model). If you're charging for the content, what happens here? You're either ending up with lots of people not being able to play with lots of other people, or you're filling up a lot of SSBB players' HDs with content they don't want to buy.
2) Adding extra characters is a lot of work. You have to balance them against everyone, which is a lot of work in and of itself, but additionally if you screw up you'll get all the more flak for it, especially if the character ends up better than it should be as it wasn't in the original game and yet still people have to deal with it (and possibly pay for it to be able to compete, something which won't go over well). You also need to add the AI routine for the character as controlled by the computer, which is in and of itself a major endevour.
3) This is all wishful thinking on the part of idiots. They aren't putting in a bunch of random characters they left out of the main game as downloadable content. This is called "denial". If they were to add any more characters, they'd be as promotional material, but that's a good way to end up with characters that no one cares about, especially if the game bombs.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
I dont care if they dont add in the ability to give us extra characters... just give me my fracken Lcancel back.

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
Even if downloadable content didn't work out...there's always the possibility they could release a "special edition" or something further down the road or an expansion pack. It's doubtful, yes...but I'm not completely ruling the possibility out. They've been doing this with PC games for years, so it's not an impossibility.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I think it's VERY possible with the Wii's hardware and I think Nintendo COULD choose to do something like that but I really just don't think it will happen.

Not because "Sakurai's team will dissband after the game is done". They could have had more characters already made and done before release but easyly chose to make them DLC after release to add real shock to their reveal and to show Nintnedo is trying to better it's wifi. They don't HAVE to have been working on the characters after release for them to make them DLC somewhere down the road. And Sakurai said he likes surprizes so that could be a choice.

And not because "Nintendo doesn't do that". Nintendo does alot of things they use to not do. The head man at nintendo recently stated how their "core games" are more important because too many Wii Sports type games would bore the user base so they aint "all about the non gamers" either.

I surely think it could happen but I wouldn't bet money on it. I would be content with DLC in the form of Tuants! Like, you can download a new list of tunts and change them up so that you have a larger range of them than 3. That would be cool by it's self and they are simply animations so it wouldn't be that hard to believe.

But just wait for GDC in the coming weeks. Sakurai will be talking about the making of the characters there and if this kind of thing where to come sometime soon I would think that he would reveal it there.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
people are being way too negative with this downloadble content thing, It's is possible and so what if Nintendo's never done it before, there's a first time for everything!

I know it probably won't happen but still you're all being way too pessimistic. It's interesting some of you seem to know what you're talking about and yet before the characters were released and alot of you thought you knew what you were talking about when you said X is in brawl, when they actually wern't. (this is generally speaking, not targeted at anyone in particular)

What I'm trying to say is: We don't know, nearly all of us were completly clueless(me included) when we posted our character predictions and the same COULD(not will but could) happen here.

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
It's interesting some of you seem to know what you're talking about and yet before the characters were released and alot of you thought you knew what you were talking about when you said X is in brawl, when they actually wern't. (this is generally speaking, not targeted at anyone in particular).
Yeah, I bet some of the people who are saying downloadable content is impossible...are the same people who said Nintendo would never put a character like ROB in Brawl.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It's not like Nintendo has never done any downloadble content before, Virtual console games are Downloadble content for you wii console? Well....isn't it?

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
The only negative I could Imagine with downloadable characters would be unbalence.

I mean, lets pretend Nintendo put 100 Character for Download, at like 100 Wii Points each (I don't know if you mentionend a price or not), who wouldn't download every sing one of them? Seriously?

I can't imagine anyrthing so horrible with haveing downloadable content.

Mediator

Smash Journeyman
thats the thing right there!

Nintendo KNOWS WE WOULD BUY EVERY SINGLE CHAR. if they put them on the wii shop

so for nintendo to not put characters on the wii shop would be a bad business decision

The more i think about it the more i think its going to happen and if it doesn't Ah well

Top Bottom