• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Hint Block: Yoshi Question and Answer Thread

Ind15

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

So the answer to this question has probably been posted on some thread somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it (and the Yoshi guide everyone keeps recommending either doesn't load for me or just plain isn't complete). Basically, what are some good combos for Yoshi? A step-by-step guide of how to pull off the combo and at what percentages/situations the combo works the best would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Arbitation

Smash Rookie
@ S Sodo

Gotta space those bairs if you're going to approach in neutral. But at that point if you're hitting a shield with a spaced bair you may as well be using neutral b.

Last edited:

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
@ S Sodo

Gotta space those bairs if you're going to approach in neutral. But at that point if you're hitting a shield with a spaced bair you may as well be using neutral b.
That's a good point, never thought of approaching with B. I've also had issues with deciding when to use eggs or not. A lot of people I've watched videos of spam them, but the best players I've watched use them as a mix up and to edgeguard. Is it like the turnips where you should always try and have one out?

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
so finally decided to switch to the happy green dinosaur, what should i be labbing first, kill setups or egg followups?

Lock-Down1

Smash Rookie
I remember a couple weeks ago Ness was brought up somewhere in the Yoshi boards and I said something like Ness UpB got so buffed Yoshi eggs don't destroy it anymore.
I was wrong tho thankfully, we still can. To add on by answering higgz in a sense. We can still DJ out of PK fire to avoid getting grabbed.
Hi guy I'm new to smash 4, I was wondering if anyone can tell how to do that neutral b like that @1:11 the reversal Neutral B in a short hop.

Last edited:

TheCaesar

Smash Rookie
I've been playing Yoshi for awhile now and I really do love how he plays, but I was wondering if there is a certain character I should consider picking up as a counterpick. I suppose another way of saying this is is there a certain other character that Yoshi suffers greatly to, and if so, who to pick up in order to counter that matchup? In my history of playing I really can't recall anyone who I just could not deal with, but I may have made a mental note and forgotten it lol. I've fooled around with basically every character and really do enjoy playing with them all, so it is really just a matter of who is best for the job. Thanks in advance :awesome:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
@ TheCaesar TheCaesar

If you're looking for secondaries, I'd imagine Diddy/Sheik would be good picks. Yoshi doesn't appear to have any impossible struggles at this point in the metagame, but potentially troubling MUs are Diddy, Sheik, Mega Man (some say), annnnnnnd I think that's it.

According to a Megamain I know, Sheik invalidates him. I'd expect Sheik to do well vs. Diddy as well (at least an evenish MU, I don't think Diddy really loses to anyone right now), and of course, there's the Sheik ditto. I hear Ness might be a pretty good pick as well.

@ Slice~ Slice~ Do you mean to pick up those characters, or do you mean we struggle with them?

Last edited:

TheCaesar

Smash Rookie
@ Delta-cod Delta-cod

I was half expecting Sheik and Diddy to be honest. I think I will fool around with both of them (also Ness) and see who I like the most, then dedicate some time to them.

Yoshi comes first, of course :4yoshi:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
@ Delta-cod Delta-cod

I was half expecting Sheik and Diddy to be honest. I think I will fool around with both of them (also Ness) and see who I like the most, then dedicate some time to them.

Yoshi comes first, of course :4yoshi:
Yup yup. They're both pretty strong contenders for best character at this point, so naturally they're good recommendations. =P

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
That's prolly if you play against sonics that picked him up in this game and still have no idea what to do or did the same side/downb tactics in brawl before it died.
Cause otherwise if you were to face espy or 6wx we'd get our noses kicked in.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Don't we have a recent video of a Yoshi vs. 6wx where the outcome is not getting his nose kicked in?

Sure sure, friendlies and all that, but I fail to see any tools Sonic has that really make us sad.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
As you said friendlies, Mistakes on both players parts etc.
But what's weird is outside of the loss of Pivot grab and bair + smash 4 mechanics (less ledge camping from us, airdodges both sides n all that) It honestly felt like I was watching me vs The Sonic mains in my town in the brawl days.

Basically around the lines like this "we have a lead, but sonic's quickness takes advantage of our inability to net kills as easy as most characters so we fish hard and eventually once we have fished so many times we lose the stock"
But with smash 4 changes Sonic's ability to rack up damage even more stupid than ever so he can get us from 0-80% fast (or realistically, Yoshi 0 [3:54 21%, 4:13 51%, 4:17 74%, 4:24-4:29 88%-98%] Sonic 83 [4:02 104% 109% for 30+ seconds until weak hit nair hits])

He landed 5 moves on sonic while Sonic almost took the stock off, at that point it wasn't even a case of "person played better or worse" it was already past the point where it was anyones game if they get one move off.
Yoshi got his nose kicked in to the point he was at kill % already, just sonic got hit with a kill move before he could deliver it.

The MU just more scary too since we're not heavy as we used to be while Nintendo gave sonic tons of kill moves/killing throws as well.
His tools is speed, now actually having kill moves instead of just bair in brawl and high damage.

Last edited:

Forty4

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePriceIsWrong
I'm still thinking that it's mostly even with Diddy, maybe a slight advantage either way.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I think we can still brickwall Sonic with jabs. The loss of grab armor is HUGE for our ability to just sort of beat him out with a hitbox. Our jab reaches high enough to beat aerial approaches, and is safe(?) on shield. So there's not too much Sonic can even do about it, besides go over/beat our reactions.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
New Yoshi player here. Who are the big-name Yoshis I should be watching? I saw a handful of them at Apex, but my Youtube searches today have been fruitless.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
There's a pretty high tendency for Yoshis to not get on stream very often (for some reason). As a result, Yoshi videos tend to be pretty rare.

Off the top of my head, I'd recommend Slush, Slice, Raptor, and BuRnT EGGs. Here's a recent match one of them had with 6wx.

BuRnT EGGs (Yoshi) VS 6WX (Sonic): http://youtu.be/5iWR51BUwbk

I've found that a lot of Yoshis tend to have very different styles and mindsets, so it might be worth working a lot on your own to develop your own path, rather than trying to emulate someone else's style. The differing styles are quite a boon to the community, since we all tend to approach MUs and problems with different mindsets, allowing for lots of different advice to be given out. As of right now, I don't think there's any strictly optimal way to play Yoshi, so experiment away! Naturally there are some things that are just useful/better to do than others, and we'll be glad to help out in that aspect.

@ Lock-Down1 Lock-Down1 I realize your question was never answered! That is what we call a B-reversal. It's done by inputting the opposite direction you're facing immediately after you begin your neutral B.

In this case, since he was jumping to the right, we have:

Jump Right > Neutral B > Press Left

Or in buttons:

:GCY::GCR: > :GCN::GCB: > :GCL:

It's important that you wait until after hitting B to press left, otherwise you'll do Egg Roll instead of Egg Lay!

Last edited:

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
There's a pretty high tendency for Yoshis to not get on stream very often (for some reason). As a result, Yoshi videos tend to be pretty rare.

Off the top of my head, I'd recommend Slush, Slice, Raptor, and BuRnT EGGs. Here's a recent match one of them had with 6wx.

BuRnT EGGs (Yoshi) VS 6WX (Sonic): http://youtu.be/5iWR51BUwbk

I've found that a lot of Yoshis tend to have very different styles and mindsets, so it might be worth working a lot on your own to develop your own path, rather than trying to emulate someone else's style. The differing styles are quite a boon to the community, since we all tend to approach MUs and problems with different mindsets, allowing for lots of different advice to be given out. As of right now, I don't think there's any strictly optimal way to play Yoshi, so experiment away! Naturally there are some things that are just useful/better to do than others, and we'll be glad to help out in that aspect.
Interesting! Coming from a Bowser/DK background, characters with... Shall we say limited options, Yoshi is certainly gonna be a new experience for me. I noticed that BuRnT was using Egg Lay a lot in that set, is that specific to the Sonic MU, or has the move been buffed? As I recall, it was pretty situational/meh in previous games.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Egg Lay has been nerfed from Brawl. It's still a great command grab in conjunction with potential momentum reversals, but it's a bit slower than it used to be. I believe it's better when you connect, but it's harder to do so now.

Egg Lay is a pretty standard tool that you should definitely get comfortable with using. It's one of our most standard mixups.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi main here. I think I have a really good level with Yoshi, and when facing opponents with the same level as me, I struggle to kill them before 140%. Actually, I'm using a lot the forward air, and I'm really good at killing with it... against the ones who don't know me (for glory for example).

But against one of my friend, playing Sonic in the same level as me, I can't kill him. Sonic has throw who can kill me at 100%, but what about Yoshi ? Don't we have grabs killing near 140% ? Any advice please ?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
We have no grabs that kill. Your best bet is to NOT FORCE THE KILL, especially against someone as fast as Sonic. Consider staying patient and trying to get one of our kill setups. Good ways to kill are:

Usmash OOS
Jab > Down B
Jab > Usmash
Dthrow > Uair
Egg > Uair/Usmash

Off stage:
Egg > Uair/Fair/Nair
Fair (baits airdodge) > Uair punish.

You can also consider looking at this thread for ideas: http://smashboards.com/threads/ive-made-a-list-of-yoshis-true-possible-combos.388006/

Rndmwhitekid

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone! I've recently started picking up smash 3ds on a more regular basis, but I still have a lot to learn. As someone who has been playing smash since n64 but never got into it competitively, do you have any general advice? Is there anything Yoshi specific that I should focus on? I feel like a lot of the difficulties I'm having are due to the fact that I simply haven't played enough ( < 200 for glory matches).

Axion

Smash Rookie
Anyone able to give me some advice on getting a utilt combo started? Once I hit the utilt I have no problem going from there but getting in for the utilt while in neutral is something I struggle with, especially since I like to play egg spacies. My go to neutral moves are SH fair, SH nair, Neutral b(reversed, turnaround, regular), and of course grabs and pivot grabs.

EarthRyno

Smash Cadet
NNID
EarthRyno
3DS FC
1521-4637-2514
How do you approach the neutral game to win it? Against rushdown styles? Against defensive styles? Against other stuff?

I'm looking for different perspectives and to find out how everyone uses our tools. [:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I like to remain grounded and reactive. Our Usmash is a fantastic anti-air, so if they jump it's real easy to Usmash them.

Otherwise, I play a lot of grounded spacing with walks/trots, and try to get a grab. If I'm fighting a rush down character, I'll try to keep them out with jabs.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
Does anyone know any good videos of a grounded Yoshi? Because I'm really bad at not being in the air.

Also, is it impossible to fastfall with neutral b? All I know is you can fastfall right before, but the animation cancels it...

Enoki

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Enokikone
I'm a pretty recent Yoshi convert and I love this character, but I was wondering: should we counter projectile spammers by staying in the air or perfect shielding everything? Yoshi's OOS options are definitely better than in prior games, but I feel like jumping is usually my only option that's truly safe. Against someone like Mega Man or Link, I've found that really the only things I can do are jump over everything and try to read their reaction, or to spam eggs from the air. Suggestions?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
It ultimately depends on the projectile and character in question. If the projectiles being spammed are linear projectiles, you can try to SH or FH Egg Toss over them, using the egg to approach (or not). For things like Link's boomerang, which can be angled, staying grounded and shielding/jabbing the projectiles away can work.

If you're sorta close to the opponent, shielding is the worst thing you can do. They likely WANT you to shield, to limit your options. I always opt to try and dodge with my mobility/ping them away with jabs.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Hello I try not to think any character is overpowered but I find yoshi to be one of the most challenging to face because of his priority, reach, really fast attacks, and lack of hitstun. I hit yoshi and he seems to be able to hit me almost immediately without the usually hitstun characters go through. So Im here asking people who know yoshi well what exactly are his weak points? I tend to play a lot with the links, and villager but in general what are good strategies to defeat the unmovable foe known as yoshi.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
@ A Artmastercorey Thread merged with our Questions and Answers thread.

Yoshi's weakpoints are approaching, and landing. Really, all you wanna do is keep him out of your face in most cases, unless you're a character that can swarm him with quick, high priority attacks, like Diddy and Sheik. Otherwise, you have to hit him, and respect the fact that he can hit you with Nair almost immediately. In fact, trying to bait this might be one of the best tactics available to you.

Top Bottom