• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Hint Block: Yoshi Question and Answer Thread

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
being camped by someone like fox doesnt give me that much trouble. it's annoying, sure, but there's not much fox can force us to do by running away.

but for some reason it's characters like duck hunt / link that can make me go nuts. if the opponent has better / more spammable projectiles, then i feel forced to approach them, and i end up slipping up a lot as a result.

i also tend to play aerially, though. is that maybe why?

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
I'm aware that there are different styles of play with yoshi, like offensive, defensive, and special I think it's called.
Anyone have footage of special and defensive styles? I play offensively and keep losing to extremely defensive players in neutral
Any advice for playing people that only wait for you to overextend and punish you for it?
Kinda like that campy fox posted above. That stuff drives me insane. Not fun at all
Your best bet would be to check out the video thread to see how others play yoshi. I'd like to say that I'm a rather defensive player that will change tempo to offensive when I see an opening (such as knocking the opponent off-stage). It is a good idea to mix up your playstyle to keep your opponent guessing. I'll link some of my vids posted there. The first set is against MikeKirby, he plays super defensively and I had to match that in order to win. Another set of is a against a fox main here, we both try to force overextension, so it really is up to being a patient player and keeping your mind cool and focused. If their win condition is an overextension on your part then you should never give them the opportunity to do so.

How useful is Side-B? Is there a way to really use it well?
I'm mostly thinking of this video, which you should definitely watch, lol

Somebody answer the question above mine...
Probably still not useful at all judging from the video. As soon as you make contact with the opponent you slow down considerably along with popping out frames will mean they can punish you quite easily. Its an annoying move to deal with, but I feel yoshi has better moves to use over egg roll.

Kitzu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kitzu77
I suppose Egg roll could be used in a every once in a while mixup, go in, deal damage, and get away again. But I tend to use the move when I miss-input Egg Throw...

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
I've started to appreciate the move a little bit more recently, due the sudden hop at the start shifting Yoshi's hurtbox and confusing people sometimes- it's something I've mostly observed playing with friends, though, so I'm not sure how reliable it would be against better players. It's also pretty nice for damage at low percents (you can get around 15% or so pretty easy), but since it's not super safe on hit I'm not sure how worth the tradeoff is.

Last edited:

Kitzu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kitzu77
Let's all come to the conclusion that you can deal more damage with an egg throw to a sweetspot nair, so Egg Roll is bad.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
man, i like eggroll. sure it's situational, but it can have its uses.

like if an opponent is tomahawking a lot and i want them to stop, eggroll can catch them pretty well. it's good at catching landings in general, especially if you wouldn't be able to make it over to your opponent in the first place.

also, it's strangely effective at landing if your opponent isn't ready for it? the hitbox while falling catches people off guard, and even if they try to shield > grab as you land, the egg bounces so their grab tends to whiff.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Hey guys, I've been having problems against cheese lately. I'm not sure how to approach when someone starts spamming projectiles (Mario fireballs, Lucas/Ness PK Thunder are my biggest problems right now) and then wait for punish when I go in. How do you guys deal with cheese?

Kitzu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kitzu77
I try to think of something on the spot, try going in from above making them shield, then use your command grab, that'll make them shield less and let approach from the air. Also using eggs.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
That's what they want though. I go in from above, and they shield, grab, throw me away, repeat. Or if they know the tongue's coming, roll away and repeat. It's infuriating.

Kitzu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kitzu77
Well wait or what I do to confuse people is to run away then do an instant turnaround egg toss. You know you do this when you slide a bit in the direction you were running and throw an egg in the opposite direction.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Do not rely exclusively on coming in from directly above, or even very often if you can help it. Being above your opponent in general is a bad position in this game, and in most cases they're just going to Usmash or Uspecial you oos for your troubles.

If they're trying to camp you out, just camp them right back with sh egg toss. Eggs are a very solid and versatile projectile and should soar right over whatever they're throwing at you. Against shield, egg lay is still a potent option, but be sure to mix it up with fair spacing (and maybe a shield-eater Dair if you're feeling ballsy, but it's definitely not something to use very often due to the risk attached).

Kitzu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kitzu77
Yeah there is risk from coming from the air, take that as false info from me. I still consider myself semi-novice. Because of silly mistakes I make and all these advanced things I can only do a couple of (Teching and b-reversing)

WalrusBiscuit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WalrusBiscuit
Im looking to improve my Yoshi play. I know how to wavebounce and b-reverse and Im working on using lick as a recovery option. Is there anything special I should be focusing on to get to a high level with Yoshi?

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Im looking to improve my Yoshi play. I know how to wavebounce and b-reverse and Im working on using lick as a recovery option. Is there anything special I should be focusing on to get to a high level with Yoshi?
High-tech is nice, but don't forget the basics - specifically, tilts. I'm speaking from past experience having barely utilized these moves when I started; knowing how to incorporate your tilts is very important for Yoshi.

Arguably the most important is your utilt. It's a combo starter, has a hitbox behind you, and it's a relatively safe move. Its main purpose is to pop your opponent above you, where you can wreak havoc with uair, nair, and even a ground pound at the right percents.

Ftilt is a great turnaround option I use frequently upon landing, like if I land with my back turned. It comes out really fast and can usually catch someone by surprise if they're going in for a grab punish.

Finally, dtilt can and should be used often for shield pressure or to trump a recovery. It's fast and has great range, so even if you miss you could jump out of the way to avoid getting punished for it - I almost never get punished on dtilt. Because of its low trajectory, you can put your opponent into a very dangerous position off-stage. Practice using it as a combo finisher, particularly after jab1 or grab release.

My favorite new thing to do is grab as close to ledge as possible, pummel until release (because you're at the ledge, it guarantees they'll be dropped right next to you no matter the percent), dtilt them offstage, run off (don't jump) and fair as soon as you're airborne - I don't know the exact percent per character, but if they're somewhere around the 85-95% range it can guarantee a spike.

Last edited:

WalrusBiscuit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WalrusBiscuit
that last thing sounds extremely interesting! Thanks for the advice. I mostly only use dtilt xD

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
that last thing sounds extremely interesting! Thanks for the advice. I mostly only use dtilt xD
I should've mentioned you need to be pretty tight on your timing between grab release and dtilt - if you're too fast, you'll dthrow instead. Also, it's not a true combo, but it's pretty darn close, so a few characters might have options out of it. I haven't fully vetted it out to determine its overall viability, though so far it's been pretty consistent. Even if you have a little too much damage on them, you'll still hit them farther out with fair, you just won't get the spike.

I don't seem to have a replay of that exact maneuver at the moment, but this is pretty close. Key differences are this is a fair-lock setup (but the opponent is in the same position I'm talking about, so I can still perform the combo. This is also far more effective because it's a lock, but also more difficult to set up this way), and they have less damage on them than I've specified (in this case, it's R.O.B. at about 45%). At this damage range, they're able to act out of the hit before I can dash off and fair, so instead I wait a tick and then respond with sh fair.

Hopefully that helps you envision what I'm talking about - I could've sworn I had it in a replay, maybe I just haven't uploaded it yet. I'll look on my console or record the next time I do it in a match.

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Frame traps are apparently very important for Yoshi, too.
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEES

Fair is a great move for setting up frame traps offstage, since if they airdodge it a lot of times you can meet them with a Nair as they come out of invincibility. Uair is also great for setting up similar situations when they're above you.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Yup it is one of yoshi's scariest qualities offstage. Tossing an egg/fair in their way that gets air dodged still puts them in a position to get Nair'd in the face, I love it lol. Like Codaption said, also important is baiting out the air dodge when they're above. I've gotten countless kills waiting for their action and punishing immediately.

WalrusBiscuit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WalrusBiscuit
Im having a lot of trouble fox-trotting and dance-trotting with Yoshi. Any tips? Its extremely easy with characters like Marth but I cant get it to work with Yoshi.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Im having a lot of trouble fox-trotting and dance-trotting with Yoshi. Any tips? Its extremely easy with characters like Marth but I cant get it to work with Yoshi.
It all has to do with the different timing. Yoshi's trots should be input at 160BPM (according to some posts earlier on in this thread). Try using a metronome to help with the timing, you can find some free in-browser ones online.

WalrusBiscuit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WalrusBiscuit
It all has to do with the different timing. Yoshi's trots should be input at 160BPM (according to some posts earlier on in this thread). Try using a metronome to help with the timing, you can find some free in-browser ones online.
What does BPM mean?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
What would you say are Yoshi's general strengths and weaknesses and what holds him back from being top tier? How should I play the MU with :4megaman:? He's one of the characters I possess the least amount of knowledge about and I haven't played too many Yoshis all too recently.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Pros: All-rounder, can easily adapt to any situation. Not many bad MUs, he always has an option or two.
Cons: Sort of a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none kind of deal. He's sort of easy to punish.

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Yoshi has poor kill options and a neutral that isn't really up to shine. His recovery is also very vulnerable if you can intercept it (the poor guy gets eaten alive by footstools).

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
ZSS Rosalina Villager or Diddy then if you don't wanna be too much of a tier ***** by picking the absolute best character in game.

Everyone's true secondary should be Bayonetta once she's out anyways.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Which character covers yoshis bad matchups?
I sub R.O.B. and so far he's done surprisingly well against Sheik and Pikachu. Vs. Sheik, it comes down to camping until Sheik's in death percent for Uthrow; Vs. Pika, tank those puny hits and punish hard.

Ness and Lucas remain a problem for me with either character.

Last edited:

WalrusBiscuit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WalrusBiscuit
I sub R.O.B. and so far he's done surprisingly well against Sheik and Pikachu. Vs. Sheik, it comes down to camping until Sheik's in death percent for Uthrow; Vs. Pika, tank those puny hits and punish hard.

Ness and Lucas remain a problem for me with either character.
It wasnt on for glory was it? like playing the sheiks and pikachus

anyways Ive decided on wii fit right now. seems like a pretty interesting character and is probably better than what most people think (especially now that John numbers beat vinnie).

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
It wasnt on for glory was it? like playing the sheiks and pikachus

anyways Ive decided on wii fit right now. seems like a pretty interesting character and is probably better than what most people think (especially now that John numbers beat vinnie).
No, those were tourney results. The Pikachu was ranked #5 at Cal U.

Vs. Pikachu makes a lot more sense when you see it, more than I can describe. Vs. Sheik, I still find it surprising but it's worked against three different opponents.

WFT is a good option. I know hardly anything about that one, but I can see how it'd work.

Last edited:

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
ZSS Rosalina Villager or Diddy then if you don't wanna be too much of a tier ***** by picking the absolute best character in game.

Everyone's true secondary should be Bayonetta once she's out anyways.

Just gonna throw it out there that Yoshi can handle every match up with the right amount of sense coming into the match. Everyone knows I literally don't have any secondary. I can play a lot of characters on the cast... sure. I absolutely refuse to try to pick up a secondary character to cover up "bad MU's" though when it comes to Yoshi.

Don't let your dreams be dreams man. Just do it.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Merry Christmas Yoshi mains!
Not exactly right thread for this.
Everyone knows I literally don't have any secondary. I can play a lot of characters on the cast... sure.
Well I mean good for you and some others that don't need secondaries to cover troubling match ups, but we're mostly just answering the people in this thread that's asking for our opinions.

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157

Well I mean good for you and some others that don't need secondaries to cover troubling match ups, but we're mostly just answering the people in this thread that's asking for our opinions.

Nitpicking my post to try to make me look like a bad guy is pretty low Slush. Don't act like I haven't given advice when asked for it.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Whazza
The entirety of that post was all about you, only debateable part of it is maybe the first sentence. Which can be said with any character honestly.
>nairo Zelda beating nietono sheik

I never said all of your posts doesn't help people but that post in particular added nothing to the convo to help them. Just some stuff about you that everyone should apparently know about and a old meme to give motivation.

You can say Yoshi is capable of every mu, but again the players asking are not capable and they want advice on a secondary to deal with a character until they eventually can use yoshi only to win.

If anything you're kinda making a minor deal out of nothin'

WalrusBiscuit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WalrusBiscuit

oops my b. Shouldve been in the social thread.

Top Bottom