• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I wonder how they could get the P3MC to show up in a hypothetical P5A. There's a couple of spoilery things that kept him out of 4A, but maybe those problems will be resolved in this game.

amageish

Smash Master
I wonder how they could get the P3MC to show up in a hypothetical P5A. There's a couple of spoilery things that kept him out of 4A, but maybe those problems will be resolved in this game.
Following P4A's story,
Elizabeth seems pretty close to getting him back

Last edited:

Black Link521

Smash Cadet
Thinking about how he would be presented in Smash. What skins do you think he would have? Would he have his other uniforms or do you think he'd reference the other Phantom Thieves? Or perhaps the other protagonist of the Persona/SMT series? If he had just Arsene I would think Arsene would reference other popular Personas/Demons like Jack Frost, Izanagi, Orpheus, and Thanatos.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Joker for Smash, Jack Frost assist trophy! That is my ideal choice to represent SMT and Atlus. Joker is a cool character from what may well be the best RPG I've ever played. He's in Q2, so that means he's appeared on a Nintendo console before, and since I'm biased that's good enough for me. Jack Frost is Atlus's mascot and a staple of most SMT and Persona games, and was even one if the stars if an exclusive Virtual Boy game! Heck, put all three Jacks in, why don't you?

I see Joker using Arsene and his weapons primarily. Arsene could have some extra attacks to represent different Personas but I don't think they'd mess with the classic too much. His final smash is the All Out Attack because it's just begging to be used. The other party members should be Ann, Ryuji, and Morgana. His costumes could be Joker, Winter, Summer, and then colors that reflect other characters from Persona and SMT.

Also....wishful thinking, but Futaba's Guidance, anyone?

Joker is such an out-there choice but one that aesthetically, mechanically, and character-wise is such a perfect fit. If we get to vote for DLC he's got my vote all the way. Support!

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Thinking about how he would be presented in Smash. What skins do you think he would have? Would he have his other uniforms or do you think he'd reference the other Phantom Thieves? Or perhaps the other protagonist of the Persona/SMT series? If he had just Arsene I would think Arsene would reference other popular Personas/Demons like Jack Frost, Izanagi, Orpheus, and Thanatos.
Well, time to give a very long answer to this simple question!

Yu Narukami/Izanagi and Makoto Yuki/Orpheus seem basically guaranteed, assuming they wouldn't just go with the Phantom Theives. Aigis/Athena and FeMC/Orpheus seem likely as well for Persona protaginists, but Tatsuya Suou/Vulcanus, Maya Amano/Maia, and Boy-with-Earring/Seimen Kongou all seem improbable unless ATLUS suddenly decides P1/P2 matter again.

In terms of mainline SMT: Kayuza (SMTI), Aleph (SMTII), Flynn (SMTIV), Nanashi (SMTIVA), Marine (SMTSJ), Kyouji Kuzunoha (Devil Summoner), and Raidou Kuzunoha the XIV all are definitely possibilities. Also possible, albeit less likely would be a protagonist from DemiKids, Digital Devil Saga, Devil Survivor, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, or the original Megami Tensei. Especially likely would be Demifiend, the protaginst of Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, as he's easily the most iconic human MegaTen character and Joker has already cosplayed as him in P5DSN. Tamaki from Shin Megami Tensei If also seems a bit more likely IMHO from a game history perspective, as she's from the game that inspired the Persona off-shoot of MegaTen (and unlike the P1/2 gang, ATLUS seems more willing to acknowledge she exists).

MegaTen is a large series, so we obviously have a plurality of options... I could see it just being based on the Theives to avoid having to deal with choosing between this comedically-long list haha.

Also....wishful thinking, but Futaba's Guidance, anyone?
THIS. 100 TIMES THIS. The idea of having a Phantom Thieves commentary option is almost as exciting to me as the idea of a playable MegaTen character haha.

D

Deleted member

On the whole Futaba's guidance thing, question. Is any of that kind of stuff in Persona 5 voice acted at all. Having not played it I legitimately don't know. Just saying that both of the things like this that we've gotten so far have been done with voice acting. A text based version isn't impossible, but it's more inconvenient during a fight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Voiced narration during battles from a character who is your "navigator" is just as much part of the aesthetic of Persona as the eye cut-ins when summoning a Persona. Persona 5 is especially good because during the big dungeon crawl you can do at certain parts of the game, your party will have funny pieces of dialogue and conversations with each other in the overworld. It's a blast and would translate so well to Smash.

amageish

Smash Master
On the whole Futaba's guidance thing, question. Is any of that kind of stuff in Persona 5 voice acted at all. Having not played it I legitimately don't know. Just saying that both of the things like this that we've gotten so far have been done with voice acting. A text based version isn't impossible, but it's more inconvenient during a fight.
Persona 5 has all in-battle dialogue fully voiced, yes - and there is so much of it that there is a PlayStation trophy for listening to all of Futaba's quips.

Personally, I'd imagine a hypothetical Futaba's Guidance to be in the style of the dialogue you can have when driving around the Mementos (the main dungeon of the game used for grinding and completing sidequests) - casual fully-voice-acted dialogue between the theives on the topic of Joker's opponent.

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So Futaba's Guidance would be voiced then. Cool, count me on board with the idea in that case. Not that it's likely since they'd probably want to stick to 1st and 2nd party for those and Persona is 3rd party. But I'd be down for Futaba's Guidance.

................you know, the name "Futaba's Guidance" doesn't actually work too well all things considered. It would need a more fitting name. I'm thinking something like "Channel Futaba"

amageish

Smash Master
So Futaba's Guidance would be voiced then. Cool, count me on board with the idea in that case. Not that it's likely since they'd probably want to stick to 1st and 2nd party for those and Persona is 3rd party. But I'd be down for Futaba's Guidance.

................you know, the name "Futaba's Guidance" doesn't actually work too well all things considered. It would need a more fitting name. I'm thinking something like "Channel Futaba"
I mean, the original conversation mechanic, Snake's Codex, was from a third party with roughly as much to do with Nintendo as Persona 5 does now.

Channel Futaba is a great way to bring out the pun in her name. If it was just her, then that'd be great; however, if it's all of the Thieves giving advice then something generic like "Joker's Confidants."

D

Deleted member

I mean, the original conversation mechanic, Snake's Codex, was from a third party with roughly as much to do with Nintendo as Persona 5 does now.

Channel Futaba is a great way to bring out the pun in her name. If it was just her, then that'd be great; however, if it's all of the Thieves giving advice then something generic like "Joker's Confidants."
...........I honestly have no idea why I forgot that Metal Gear is 3rd party. I feel very unintelligent right now.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Futaba's Guidance would be an interesting idea to see played out actually. The Persona 5 cast has a lot of chemistry, I think it could be pretty funny to see what they have to say about each fighter.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Something interesting I noticed. Four non Nintendo series have had special edition 3DSes. Two of them, Minecraft and Monster Hunter have content in Smash, while the third is unlikely, because Dragon Ball Z.

The fourth?

It's Persona

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Something interesting I noticed. Four non Nintendo series have had special edition 3DSes. Two of them, Minecraft and Monster Hunter have content in Smash, while the third is unlikely, because Dragon Ball Z.

The fourth?

It's Persona
And I own that one! In fact, it's what made me upgrade to a 3DS XL.

Apparently the Japanese direct from the other week had the Persona Q2 trailer as well, so...

D

Deleted member

The fourth?

It's Persona
Minecraft content in Smash has been officially revealed? When?

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Minecraft content in Smash has been officially revealed? When?
Not officially, but it's a near guarantee at this point.

Also made a mistake, there's also Dragon Quest with a special 3DS. Wouldn't be shocked to see DQ rep though

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Yeh, regardless of Vergeben (who I don't personally trust), I think Minecraft content in Smash is probably going to happen. Maybe not playable Steve (though that is definitely possible), but at least an AT or something.

And yeah the Japanese Direct had PQ2's trailer in it. I feel like SMT and Persona content should be in this Smash, the timing just feels right.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I honestly don't expect to see any SMT/Persona content at launch. Probably as DLC

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I don't necessarily expect any content, I just feel like now would be a great time to include it. If we get a character though, I'm betting on DLC.

Last edited:

Black Link521

Smash Cadet
So Persona 4 is getting represented through Phantasy Star Online 2 now, which I'm sure will be on the Switch version just like the P5D and P3D crossover. And we got a lot of Persona Q2 content as well, a good year to be a Persona fan.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
So Persona 4 is getting represented through Phantasy Star Online 2 now, which I'm sure will be on the Switch version just like the P5D and P3D crossover. And we got a lot of Persona Q2 content as well, a good year to be a Persona fan.
Too bad P3D and P5D were big ol duds

amageish

Smash Master
They've really been going all-in on crossovers lately, eh?

Too bad P3D and P5D were big ol duds
They didn't sell super well in Japan, no, but they are still fantastic rhythm games, if you're into those. I'm pretty hyped for them to come out in English (though the early December release date will conflict with some other game I may have some excitement for).

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm assuming Joker won't be in the base roster, but what do you all think his chances are as dlc? I actually think he's got a decent shot. Between Atlus doing a Nintendo crossover with Persona, Shin Megami Tensai being big on Nintendo systems, Persona Q and Q2, and Sakurai personally being a fan of the game, I think there's a lot going for him. Not that it makes a difference, but there was even a smash bros. reference in Persona 5. I'm thinking about 50% chance as dlc.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
If there's an SMT rep, he's the frontrunner, especially once mainline Persona hits the Switch.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm assuming Joker won't be in the base roster, but what do you all think his chances are as dlc? I actually think he's got a decent shot. Between Atlus doing a Nintendo crossover with Persona, Shin Megami Tensai being big on Nintendo systems, Persona Q and Q2, and Sakurai personally being a fan of the game, I think there's a lot going for him. Not that it makes a difference, but there was even a smash bros. reference in Persona 5. I'm thinking about 50% chance as dlc.
I'd say it's smaller than that, but hey, not bad at all either way. Meanwhile I'll be waiting for PQ2 alongside with Smash because it looks and sounds pretty promising.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Is mainline persona coming to Switch? That would be frickin amazing if it's true!
Nothing officially confirmed. Just some "hey, it's being heavily considered!" and the fact it's one of Sega's flagship series now

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Nothing officially confirmed. Just some "hey, it's being heavily considered!" and the fact it's one of Sega's flagship series now
Do you have a source for that? Now I'm really excited about the possibility but I can't seem to find anything about it. Having persona 5 on switch would be incredible. I bet It would run fine on the switch, but I feel like we'd more likely see 3 or 4. Those I don't care about having on the switch as much because I can already play them on the go. It would still be awesome though.

amageish

Smash Master
Wow, optimistic odds there. I'd say he definitely stands a decent chance, but he also has a lot of possible competitors - among ATLUS and SEGA characters and beyond.

I don't recall hearing that?

I know that interest in it was gauged in the ATLUS 2018 Consumer Survey, but that survey asked about a lot of things that seem improbable to say the least - including a Persona shooter game, a Persona strategy game, remakes of every mainline Persona game (yes, including 1 and 2), and most remakes of most mainline SMT games (yet sadly no SMT If). Consumers were also asked if they'd like to see these games/ports on PS4, PSVR, PS Vita, 3DS, Switch, Smartphones, PC, and/or "Other" (sorry Xbox), so it's not like the Switch was being highlighted.

Otherwise, a SEGA representive directly said it wouldn't come to Switch in a tweet (though he also claimed Yakuza wouldn't come to PC in that Tweet).

This is not to say it's impossible, but it's not like they've been teasing it or confirmed that it's being considered more then, say, a PC port.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Do you have a source for that? Now I'm really excited about the possibility but I can't seem to find anything about it. Having persona 5 on switch would be incredible. I bet It would run fine on the switch, but I feel like we'd more likely see 3 or 4. Those I don't care about having on the switch as much because I can already play them on the go. It would still be awesome though.
I'd be shocked if 5 couldn't run on the Switch considering the fact it's a PS3 game.
Wow, optimistic odds there. I'd say he definitely stands a decent chance, but he also has a lot of possible competitors - among ATLUS and SEGA characters and beyond.

I don't recall hearing that?

I know that interest in it was gauged in the ATLUS 2018 Consumer Survey, but that survey asked about a lot of things that seem improbable to say the least - including a Persona shooter game, a Persona strategy game, remakes of every mainline Persona game (yes, including 1 and 2), and most remakes of most mainline SMT games (yet sadly no SMT If). Consumers were also asked if they'd like to see these games/ports on PS4, PSVR, PS Vita, 3DS, Switch, Smartphones, PC, and/or "Other" (sorry Xbox), so it's not like the Switch was being highlighted.

Otherwise, a SEGA representive directly said it wouldn't come to Switch in a tweet (though he also claimed Yakuza wouldn't come to PC in that Tweet).

This is not to say it's impossible, but it's not like they've been teasing it or confirmed that it's being considered more then, say, a PC port.
Eh, it's easily the most likely option there. The 3 and 5 Dancing games, PQ2 and 5 Arena were all in the 2017 one.

Also that tweet is useless, especially because of the Yakuza on PC part.

amageish

Smash Master
Eh, it's easily the most likely option there. The 3 and 5 Dancing games, PQ2 and 5 Arena were all in the 2017 one.

Also that tweet is useless, especially because of the Yakuza on PC part.
True, but the point still stands that there have been options in the poll that have not occurred (the shooter game idea was in both 2017 and 2018, as were P1/2/3 HD console remakes). I'm not denying that it's possible (or even probable), but it's not inevitable.

It'd be great for fans. It'd definitely sell copies and make money for SEGA, so I can imagine that they would push for it in that regard. But it's not like gaming companies haven't acknowledged public demand for something and then proceeded to not do it before.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Persona 5 on Switch isn't a foregone conclusion, but there has usually been a portable version of every mainline Persona game so far. The Vita is dead. I think P5 on Switch makes a lot of sense, and if it happens, I think Joker becomes a good bit more likely for Smash.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Is it just me or does some of the UI look inspired by P5? Like how the smash mode menu is all diagonal, and how they have cut ins of characters before their final smashes. Sakurai did praise the UI design of that game.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Is it just me or does some of the UI look inspired by P5? Like how the smash mode menu is all diagonal, and how they have cut ins of characters before their final smashes. Sakurai did praise the UI design of that game.
Cut-ins aren't unique to Persona but I'd hardly be suprised if Sakurai comes and says he took a leaf out of P5's book.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Cut-ins aren't unique to Persona but I'd hardly be suprised if Sakurai comes and says he took a leaf out of P5's book.
Ordinarily I wouldn't infer any possible association with P5 specifically because of cut ins for special attacks, but since Sakurai gushed about the style of the game and seems to have taken some inspiration from it for the menus it makes me think there's likely a correlation.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
Ordinarily I wouldn't infer any possible association with P5 specifically because of cut ins for special attacks, but since Sakurai gushed about the style of the game and seems to have taken some inspiration from it for the menus it makes me think there's likely a correlation.
Sakurai has praised Persona 5's UI before, among just praising the game in general. https://personacentral.com/super-smash-bros-series-creator-discusses-persona-5s-ui/ So it would seem very likely that he's taken inspiration from it.

Top Bottom