• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hidden Gems: The Games that Seemingly Only You Played

finalark

SNORLAX
GAUNTLET LEGENDS. We used to play that for days. Gets really tough. Dark Legacy was cool too but the original wins imo.
You mean this?

To be honest, Dark Legacy really is the better game. Better balance, significantly less grindy and more content. Although the game really is just an updated and arranged version of Legends.

Booster

Smash Lord
Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3: It has a roster of 161 characters, almost the largest in any Fighting game, however the roster is beaten out by a 1 disc PS1 game...ouch! Why the **** don't more Fighting games have rosters like this (DLC doesn't count)? The battles are intense and great and for the first and only time you can see SEVERAL characters exclusive to the game along with new movesets. Just about every Saiyan character has a great ape form, you can play as King Vegeta and King Cold, getting to see how they might've fought in the anime if they weren't killed in 30 seconds like *******.

You can also play as several other characters who at the time you had never seen fight before and just about any character you want is here including ones you DON'T want such as Appule (The guy who watched Vegeta in a glass tube on Planet Namek and died without doing anything), Kid Chi Chi (A 5 year old in the sluttiest 2 piece bikini possible? Wii Fit Trainer you have met your match for worst character concept in a video game) and Frieza Soldier...yes they literally put in a nameless soldier named Frieza Soldier...

LDUDE64

Smash Rookie

It was fun for what it's worth, too bad it's over before before I know it, even on hard mode.
But really, what did I expect for something that's 29 cents on the Steam Summer Sale?

yoyowoodchuckguy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-1538-9247
Fossil fighters for the DS was a lot of fun. Only a couple people I know have played it. It's an RPG similar to Pokémon, but with dinosaurs.It had a good battle system and a pretty good story with some humor.

Twewy

Smash Lord
How is it a hidden gem?
The gameplay is absolutely solid for a cartoon tie-in game, the humor is very seasons 1-3 of Spongebob, filled with references to the show, and the music was (surprisingly) amazing.

Booster

Smash Lord
The gameplay is absolutely solid for a cartoon tie-in game, the humor is very seasons 1-3 of Spongebob, filled with references to the show, and the music was (surprisingly) amazing.
So basically one of the best and few GOOD games THQ ever made, especially off of Nickelodeon Licenses?

Kintae

Smash Rookie

I have no clue how to finish this game, the guy who made it never made it possible to even to first of all understand his English, and go to the first gym leader. But still, it is pretty fun.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

Isn't even old. but really haven't heard of other people ever knowing the game. I've grown to enjoy it even more than Super Meat Boy.

Haven't played it in years and i'm not pretty sure if it is "good" but it did entretain me and I liked the action/card game crossover the system had.

This is a tricky one, because i know lots of person in my country that played the game and loved it (I adore it) but the internet seems to have completely forgotten this game except for some very cult following. "hey who is that red gargoyle in marvel vs capcom 3? oh, is an enemy form ghost and goblins, hey did you know that he had a series called gargoyle quest in the NES and the GB? I had no idea..."

Booster

Smash Lord
I have another hidden gem and this is going to seem ****ing insane: Sailor Moon Another Story for Super Nintendo. This is so far one of the best Super Famicom/SNES games I've ever played, you can only play it through a emu because an actual copy is rare, it never made it to America (Sailor Moon was unheard of in the states at the time) and who in America owns a Super Famicom? This game has amazing 16 bit graphics and music and the gameplay is turn based at it's finest, you can combine a party of different sailors and unlock different team attacks.

I originally played this game on a dare from a friend (An Otaku btw) and I enjoy the game alot. The game also uses actual voice clips too for the attacks, and the scenarios are very Final Fantasy 6, where each sailor splits up and hunts down artifacts while fighting the villains, although there are a few problems:

There is a underground village full of pedophiles who try to chase down one of the sailors to **** her and another old man even asks one of the sailors (The Blue hair one) if he wanted to date her. Pretty dark and ****ed up, I was stunned, disgusted and shocked.

Another problem is that one of the bosses took me 3 hours and Save States to beat.

Overall, it is the definition of a hidden gem.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029

I'm dead serious.
Yes! I agree. Once I read the original post, I thought about mentioning that one, but you've already done it for me, so I'll just add to it. It's another one in the franchise, and I see it as pretty good as I can remember.

When I look at it from a more critical perspective after all of these years, the game is arguably quite good. The gameplay is pretty involving and can be puzzling at a few times. It never really makes you want to toss the game away for a while because of something "unfair", or broken. The visuals very well fit the game's universe, and if anything, the soundtrack is very good and fitting! Heck, lemme post an example.
I can say, with a straight face, that this game is fun, along with Battle for Bikini Bottom.

finalark

SNORLAX
Spongebob The Movie The Game is actually pretty damn good. I'm making that claim nostalgia-free, since I didn't play until about a year ago.

Cervidae

Smash Apprentice

Looking back, this game was probably utter crap, but I really enjoyed it as a kid! It was my first experience in the RPG genre, so that has to count for something, right?

finalark

SNORLAX

Looking back, this game was probably utter crap, but I really enjoyed it as a kid! It was my first experience in the RPG genre, so that has to count for something, right?
I remember a friend of mine had this game as a kid. At first I was enthralled by the black cart this came in, only to find it's sadly a pretty mediocre game.

Shame the N64 never got any great RPGs. The PS1 had the FF trilogy, and even the Saturn had a few gems (so I've heard, since most of these games are Japan exclusive). All the N64 got was this and Quest 64. Although I guess the Zelda games make up for that.

Cervidae

Smash Apprentice
I remember a friend of mine had this game as a kid. At first I was enthralled by the black cart this came in, only to find it's sadly a pretty mediocre game.

Shame the N64 never got any great RPGs. The PS1 had the FF trilogy, and even the Saturn had a few gems (so I've heard, since most of these games are Japan exclusive). All the N64 got was this and Quest 64. Although I guess the Zelda games make up for that.
Yeah, it is kind of sad that the N64 didn't have a bunch of RPGs. This, Quest 64, and Paper Mario are really the only ones that come to mind. It's probably why I didn't play a whole lot of the genre since it was my only console for about nine years.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah, it is kind of sad that the N64 didn't have a bunch of RPGs. This, Quest 64, and Paper Mario are really the only ones that come to mind. It's probably why I didn't play a whole lot of the genre since it was my only console for about nine years.
I actually forgot about Paper Mario, probably because I associate Thousand Year Door with the series the strongest. I've only played the first game as a download.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
I personally love River City Ransom EX on GBA. Didn't sell that many copies, kinda got lost in history.
Oh hell yes. Easily my favorite GBA game. I loved the character customization, even though you sadly had to use cheats to really get any mileage out of it.

I seem to fall in love with a lot of games that people hear about because of fandom/memes but never actually play. Deadly Premonition, OFF, God Hand.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yes! I agree. Once I read the original post, I thought about mentioning that one, but you've already done it for me, so I'll just add to it. It's another one in the franchise, and I see it as pretty good as I can remember.

When I look at it from a more critical perspective after all of these years, the game is arguably quite good. The gameplay is pretty involving and can be puzzling at a few times. It never really makes you want to toss the game away for a while because of something "unfair", or broken. The visuals very well fit the game's universe, and if anything, the soundtrack is very good and fitting! Heck, lemme post an example.
I can say, with a straight face, that this game is fun, along with Battle for Bikini Bottom.
Haha Spongebob Squarepants Movie game! Brings back memories. Was quite good and atleast engaging.

In my university, almost every game I have played is a hidden gem. Every other person I talk to, plays mostly CoD or Fifa. And Nintendo games are treated with disdain or indifference.

Panzer Dragoon Orta is a really nice game, one of my favourite games on the original XBOX, and I haven't met anyone who has played it. We still have to see a sequel of the game and looks like mostly Sega has abandoned the series. I hope this counts!

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Panzer Dragoon Orta is a really nice game, one of my favourite games on the original XBOX, and I haven't met anyone who has played it. We still have to see a sequel of the game and looks like mostly Sega has abandoned the series. I hope this counts!
I played that game once a really long time ago on my friend's Xbox when I was a kid. I remember it being a ton of fun, but I was also really bad at it.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I played that game once a really long time ago on my friend's Xbox when I was a kid. I remember it being a ton of fun, but I was also really bad at it.
Yea its a really fun game but really tough as well at harder difficulties. It takes time to master. Plus the graphics were amazing and many boss fights had unique quirks to it, making the game replayable to a large extent to all perfectionists. Plus it had tons of hidden bonuses and secret levels (not from main character perspective though) Who said on rails shooters are easy?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I often feel these two NES gems are too esoteric for people to know. Their lack of inclusion in the Virtual Console exacerbates this. These two games were my childhood, and while Shatterhand was a fun side-scrolling action platformer, Crystalis was what drew me to games, like Secret of Mana and Terranigma.

finalark

SNORLAX
Crystalis is one of those games that I've heard a lot of people talk about, but I've never gotten a chance to play myself. I know that most people are more familiar with the GBC version over the original NES version, however.

I've been interested in giving it a go, I'm really hoping it's not one of those games like Eternal Darkness or Ico where you hear people talking about it all the time but good like finding a single person who's actually played the damn thing.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Crystalis is one of those games that I've heard a lot of people talk about, but I've never gotten a chance to play myself. I know that most people are more familiar with the GBC version over the original NES version, however.

I've been interested in giving it a go, I'm really hoping it's not one of those games like Eternal Darkness or Ico where you hear people talking about it all the time but good like finding a single person who's actually played the damn thing.
Take it from someone who's played both versions: If you're gonna give it a go, play the NES version. The GBC version heavily butchers the music, story, and setting, as well as some of the gameplay mechanics. The smaller screen does the game no favors either, limiting your field of view.

Nintendo took the story of SNK's NES original game, which was unique, and turned it into a disappointing cliché. But don't take my word for it. Check it out whenever you get the chance.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Well I know Shining Force was popular but I don't see anyone mentioning it around on the Internet anywhere!

I just loved Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon and it might not be hidden gem but it is definitely a forgotten one.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm bumping this thread because I want to talk about these games:

The Castlevania RPGs for GBA and DS. They aren't really obscure by any means, since they sold well enough and were rather positively received. But nobody seems to talk about them these days. Doesn't help that the most prolific Youtubers and Let's Players, who so many people follow and based their opinions around, seem to think the series ended with Symphony of the Night with hardly anyone talking about what came after.

That just made me realize how much power popular YTers and LPers have over popular opinion and public interest. When you have people like Jon Tron and Egoraptor who's videos are nearly guaranteed at least a million hits it's really people like them who decide which games get brought up again and talked about.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Very overlooked since it was single-player only (one of the only Bomberman games to not have multiplayer). It had fun gameplay, a good story, and a great soundtrack. Definitely one of my favorite childhood games.

Not really a big Harry Potter psycho, but this game was a blast. A fun RPG with colorful graphics and some pretty good tunes. Probably didn't sell well since it was the last GBC game to be sold in America.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

Very overlooked since it was single-player only (one of the only Bomberman games to not have multiplayer). It had fun gameplay, a good story, and a great soundtrack. Definitely one of my favorite childhood games.

Not really a big Harry Potter psycho, but this game was a blast. A fun RPG with colorful graphics and some pretty good tunes. Probably didn't sell well since it was the last GBC game to be sold in America.
Heck I remember I played all the Harry Potter games till the 5th one. Not bad games I guess. And Chamber of Secrets on Xbox was pretty different to the PC version.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Seconding shadow hearts covenant.

And hidden jems?
Hogs of war: Worms, eat you ****ing heart out.
Gecko 3D. I think that's what it was called anyhow.
Resonance of fate.
Pokemon sapphire
Fire emblem, The sacred stones. Probably just obscure to me, but noone I know has ever played it xD

ShyGuy16

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Juliansg16
3DS FC
0516-7704-2697
Alright I've got two that may not quite be examples, but everyone gives me puzzled looks when I mention them.

Let's start with Whacked! for the OG Xbox. It...was one of the weirdest games that I had ever played. It was also one of the first games I ever played on the system. It was raunchy and vulgar and one of the most fun party fighting games I will ever play. I really can't explain it and if I were to play it again it probably aged horribly. I still would pay top dollar to see a sequel.

And here is easily one of my favorite series of all time: Touch Detective. You play as a kid detective exploring a bizarre world using only your own wit, a penchant for touching everything, and a Watson-esque mushroom that only says NNF NFF and eats everything that can fit in his mouth. In all of my gaming years I would be hard pressed to find a game with better writing and quirk that didn't have 'Paper' or 'and Luigi' in the title. There is a third installment for the 3DS, but it looks like America won't be receiving it...:cry:

Dan Soup

Smash Rookie
Chibi Robo was an odd one. You play as a robot helper that cleans, cooks, thieves and destroys marriages. It's one of those games that constantly gives you WTF moments, whether it's stumbling on the little girl staring at her TV during the night and mumbling, finding Mr. Prongs for the first time or just the noises the different characters make when they talk. Definitely worth mentioning that the sound design and music are excellent, with Chibi making little bits of different music depending what action he's performing.

Also, I second Alundra. That was a phenomenal game.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Wario Ware D.I.Y. (DS). It's strange, especially since this is a Mario game. You'd think everyone would at least be aware of it. But for some strange reason it's been swept away under the sands of Mario games.

D.I.Y. the spiritual successor to Mario Paint. But in this game, the gimmick is creating microgames (hence the title). And when I say "create", I really do mean that. From the graphics, to the music, to even the AI. Both of eight and sixteen second long (and unlimited if you hacked. Which many did). And yes, they do make multiple references to Mario Paint.

And while you had limited space, graphics, and music, and it was rather simplistic (as you did everything through tapping), it was the greatest thing ever in my mind. As you could pretty much do anything in it. There was nothing like it. It was the first time I could put my ideas in action. And even if it the limitations got in the way at times, I didn't mind. I just worked around it.

Though it did have Microgames of it's own. Which one arrived each day (not game time, actual time. I guess to extend playability) for five days. Being Mona's, Jimmy T.'s, Orbulon's, and 9-Volts. And they weren't bad by any means. Certainly more complex than anything I thought up. Though I will forever hate that Fly Swatter game. Never again...

There were other projects you could do aside from games. Such as music and comics. Music is very much like it was in Mario Paint. You had five tracks (four main tracks and a fifth for percussion). You had different categories of instruments to choose from, could change the volume and balance, and alter the rhythm.
Comics aren't too much to not on. You had four panels and could only draw in monochrome. That's about it really.

Apart from that, there were contests which had a theme to them, and you could send in your works to Nintendo. The prize was having your games shown to the world. You could also download games made by notable developers.

All in all, I do hope that someday it gets a sequel or reboot. Because for it's flaws, it wasn't a bad game. Hopefully it can find a home on the 3DS (or New 3DS).

ViVio

Smash Apprentice
Azure Dreams for the PS1

and

Custom Robo Arena for the Nintendo DS

has anyone else played these?

Twewy

Smash Lord
I have a save on my used PS1 Memory Card for Azure Dreams. I only kept it for the Psycho Mantis fight. Is it any good?

ViVio

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I enjoyed it a lot during my PS1 days. It's dungeon crawler kind of thing with random generated floors and you get monsters to fight for you and stuff. It's easier to learn by playing than reading about it, you should definitely give it a shot although it might be a little frustrating at first.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
I guess its not that obscure of a series in Japan, but Summon Night Swordcraft Story was one of my favorite GBA games ever.

This too was a very rare game, played a lot like Banjo-Kazooie.

Top Bottom