• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HF-Lan 4 - Paris, France - 12/1/12 - Armada, Baxon, Cyr, Ice, leffen, Over, Zgetto

Slhoka

Smash Lord
HF-Lan 4ever
December 1-2, 2012
Noisy-le-Grand, France

HF-Lan 1 was a test, HF-Lan 2, a validation. HF-Lan 3 brought international attendance to the series. But this time, for HF-Lan 4, the big guns were coming.
When we opened the online registration for the tournament, we knew that many people wanted their spot among the 64 available places. And in 10 hours, everything was taken.

Now, did the actual tournament delivered ?
Overall, yes, I would say it did. Sure, the tournament met quite a few issues, causing a major delay and forcing the singles event to finish at three in the morning, as well as preventing the streaming of the event. But in the end, the bracket was stacked and gave some beautiful sets, they were more than enough setups, and the usual HF-Lan trademarks such as the free food and drinks, as well as the couches to sit and play, made this event quite enjoyable.

Various facts (spoilers here, but after all, you're in a results thread)
  • Armada wins again without dropping a single set. This is the first time that a HF-Lan singles tournament finishes with the first grand finals set. But with Armada in the attendance, not many people could say it wasn't expected.
  • Once again, Cyr is the top-placing French player, being 5th after losing to Armada and Ice. It's the first time in almost three years that he loses to someone who doesn't make it to the top 2.
  • Armada was playing so hard that a TV on which he was playing couldn't handle it and shut off releasing a cloud of smoke.
  • NMW, despite a fairly poor ranking in singles, manages to grab 3rd place in the doubles tournament with leffen.

Results

Singles:
58 players: 7 rounds of swiss, followed by a 32-man bracket

Singles Bracket

Armada :peachmelee:
leffen :foxmelee:
Zgetto :foxmelee:
Ice :marthmelee: :sheikmelee: :foxmelee:
Cyr :samusmelee:
Overtriforce :sheikmelee:
Tekk :jigglypuffmelee:
Salepâte :marthmelee:
Adam :sheikmelee: :falcomelee: :marthmelee:
Baxon :falcomelee:
Aska :marthmelee:
Samplay :falcomelee:
Doraki :foxmelee:
porc :falcomelee:
Beat :marthmelee:
Willy :falcomelee:
Charlon :falcomelee:
Aether :linkmelee:
*Zen :marthmelee:
Mahie :marthmelee:
Seb :falconmelee:
LGuy :falcomelee:
Droopy :peachmelee:
Styx :falconmelee:
John :peachmelee:
Feca-Link :falcomelee:
Meljin :sheikmelee: :falcomelee:
MetalFox :nessmelee:
Jimmy :falcomelee:
DjaGoF :falconmelee:
Ser :random:
Cromat :peachmelee:

Amateur Bracket

Fauster Fayk :samusmelee:
JiM :mariomelee:
NMW :falconmelee:
BSeeD :sheikmelee:
CM :marthmelee:
Nedved :foxmelee: :sheikmelee:
Shloub :marthmelee: :sheikmelee:
Alex21 :falconmelee:
PiKaLeX :falcomelee:
Intart :sheikmelee: :drmario:
LordYggdrasil :falconmelee:
C.Love :falconmelee:
Dero :ganonmelee:
Stormyu :foxmelee:
Shrek :falconmelee:
MonoPenisGuy :falconmelee:
Gobe :random:
Latouffe :falcomelee:
Boubou :peachmelee:
Datto :marthmelee:
goblindestroyer :ganonmelee:
Hicham :luigimelee:
Lukahn :falconmelee:

Swiss rounds

After the 7 turns of swiss rounds, the ranking was as follows:

1. Armada
  2. Overtriforce
  3. leffen
  4. Cyr
  5. Tekk
  6. Adam
  7. Ice
  8. porc
  9. Zgetto
  10. Aska
  11. Styx
  12. Salepâte
  13. Doraki
  14. Willy
  15. Samplay
  16. Baxon
  17. Charlon
  18. Beat
  19. Seb
  20. Mahie
  21. *Zen
  22. LGuy
  23. Droopy
  24. Feca-Link
  25. Aether
  26. Ser
  27. DjaGoF
  28. Meljin
  29. MetalFox
  30. Jimmy
  31. Cromat
  32. John
  33. Kurogane*
  34. Fauster Fayk
  35. Lorg Yggdrasil
  36. NMW
  37. BSeeD
  38. C.Love
  39. Alex21
  40. Datto
  41. JiM
  42. Storymu
  43. Nedved
  44. PiKaLeX
  45. Dero
  46. RedjilFoxX*
  47. Shloub
  48. MonoPenisGuy
  49. Lukahn
  50. Maynstorm*
  51. Intart
  52. Gobe
  53. CM
  54. Shrek
  55. Boubou
  56. Latouffe
  57. Goblindestroyer
  58. Nepho (spot taken by Hicham in the amateur bracket)

*Didn't enter the amateur bracket

Doubles :
21 teams : 4 rounds of swiss, followed by a 16-team bracket

Doubles Bracket

1. Armada :peachmelee: + Overtriforce :sheikmelee:
2. Adam :falcomelee::sheikmelee: + Zgetto :foxmelee::sheikmelee:
3. leffen :foxmelee::jigglypuffmelee: + NMW :falconmelee:
4. Baxon :falcomelee::falconmelee: + Mahie :foxmelee:
5. Aska :marthmelee: + Charlon :falcomelee:
5. Qlex :falconmelee::ganonmelee: + Doraki :foxmelee:
7. porc :falcomelee: + Salepâte :marthmelee:
7. Willy :falcomelee: + Tekk :jigglypuffmelee:
9. Fauster Fayk :samusmelee: + DjaGoF :falconmelee:
9. John :peachmelee: + Shloub :marthmelee:
9. CM :marthmelee: + Aether :linkmelee:
9. JiM :mariomelee: + MetalFox :nessmelee:
13. Nedved :sheikmelee: + Beat :foxmelee:
13. BSeeD :sheikmelee: + Alex21 :falconmelee:
13. Jimmy :falcomelee: + Ser :random:
13. Seb :falconmelee: + Samplay :falcomelee:
--- End of the bracket ---
17. Droopy :peachmelee::jigglypuffmelee: + Intart :sheikmelee:
17. Dero :ganonmelee: + C.Love :falconmelee:
17. MonoPenisGuy :falconmelee: + Datto :marthmelee:
17. Lukahn :sheikmelee: + LordYggdrasil :falconmelee:
17. *Zen :marthmelee: + Feca-Link :falconmelee:

Swiss rounds

I do not have the ranking on this computer, sorry :(

Videos

Videos are being uploaded on LeFrenchMelee, France's Melee community Youtube channel, and are listed in this topic.

Photos

Students from ESIEE's photography club usually take many pictures at the event. They should upload them soon, and I'll add some to this thread.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
And now for a more personal word.

First of all, I really hope you enjoyed this tournament. I have been really happy to see you there.

I am not happy with the way the tournament was run, and I thank you all for making the effort of playing your sets quite late in the night, allowing us to have a much more relaxed Sunday.
Apparently, the thing you disliked the most was the fact I used swiss rounds. The impact it had on the seeding for the bracket was a bit more important than I expected (or that it was for HF3), and I'm sorry for that. It actually comes from a mistake I did, running too many rounds (I should have run 6 and not 7), causing some player to be seeded lower than they should have been, while other were higher.
Now, why did I choose swiss rounds ? The thing is, I hate pools. Sure, they are convenient to run a tournament efficiently, but they pretty much make me decide the ranking for each pool. In a pool, if the seeding is accurate, you often only play two interesting games : one with the seed above you, and one with the seed under your. With swiss, things are different, and most of your games are much more challenging. However, the lack of accuracy in the ranking adds a random factor which isn't a much better influence than my opinion on your skill level prior to the event. This and the fact that the ranking it creates is not that reliable makes it a fairly bad options (not that pools are good).
I will not run swiss for my next event, but pools, unless I find a more efficient and fair system.

Other than that, it seems that the great assets of the tournament, such as the free food/drinks and the conference hall still managed to make this tournament good.

I still have the feeling that this tournament was wasting the fantastic potential of the HF-Lan series. But me and the rest of the staff have learned some lessons, and we shouldn't do the same mistakes again.

Thank you once again for attending, it was much appreciated.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Overtriforce really needs to get over Fox, lol. :(

And Ice seems to be losing his place at being a top contender. :(

And Leffen is looking super consistent in Europe now.

:(

leffen

Smash Champion
Fox is overtriforces best matchup, what are you talking about lol

great tournament overall, one of the best i've been to

real shoutouts tomorrow

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Let's see. He was bodying Mew2King until he went Fox. He lost to Colbol and Lovage at Pound 5. He lost to DJ Nintendo at RoM4 (lol). And he seems to always lose to either you or another Fox (or otherwise Armada).

He beats practically everyone else though.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I've always avoided Swiss due to some of the reasons you mentioned, Slhoka, but I give you a lot of credit for addressing what you felt like were the mistakes in executing it. Also, very professional-looking results thread as usual, more TOs need to do it like this.

leffen

Smash Champion
Let's see. He was bodying Mew2King until he went Fox. He lost to Colbol and Lovage at Pound 5. He lost to DJ Nintendo at RoM4 (lol). And he seems to always lose to either you or another Fox (or otherwise Armada).

He beats practically everyone else though.
Please, don't even try.

Everyone who has recently played Over knows that his Fox/Marth/Sheik matchups aren't even comparable to his floaties/falco matchups. He lost to Tekk this tournament, and he always does horribly against Armada (compared to other players close to his level).

This was also the first time I've ever beaten him >_> (altho this is the 3rd time we've played)

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Please, don't even try.

Everyone who has recently played Over knows that his Fox/Marth/Sheik matchups aren't even comparable to his floaties/falco matchups. He lost to Tekk this tournament, and he always does horribly against Armada (compared to other players close to his level).

This was also the first time I've ever beaten him >_> (altho this is the 3rd time we've played)
I would also add that he didn't seem too well at that moment. Before he starting playing, he was shaking and told me he didn't feel good. Same think when coming back from the scene.
This absolutely doesn't mean he would have won, of course, but that might explain his loss to two Fox players. Even though there's no shame losing to Zgetto and leffen considering how good they were this weekend.

@Jugglyguy : thank you for both remarks, I really appreciate it ;)

Tekk

Smash Lord
Good stuff Slhoka !

Foreigners shoutouts:
Armada: Playing your YL taught me a lot, and now I know what to work on, thanks ! Congratulations on winning everything as usual. Seems like the king stay the king, for the moment. ;)

leffen: I guess we don't hate each other as much now eh ? I enjoyed playing our set, and I look forward to our next encounter. Good luck at APEX !

Beat!: You weren't at your best vs me, I hope my tips were useful to you. Your marth is good and you're a cool player, keep it up !

Overtriforce: I fear playing you again in tournament, because I now you'll be prepared this time. Amazing sheik none the less, congratz on taking doubles. :)

Zgetto: Damn. So sexy. If I weren't French and so extremely courtois, I would've probably ***** you. I want to play you in tournament !

Adam: Thanks for the doubles tips, next time Zgetto and you won't **** us like that. Fun sets, all of your chars are really good.

Ice: Leaving me, sad and lonely, for a PIZZA. A PIZZA. Haha anyway amazing fox, I'll work my *** off this matchup. Our next encounter will be much hyper. ;)

Serr & Jimmy: I hope you liked France, and didn't hate puff too bad. Nice spacies

NMW: First time I ever meet an american player (I think so). Pretty good falcon, we'll do more dittoes in the future. :)

Tonb3rry

Smash Ace
Must say I'm very impressed to see a Samus top 5. Never thought I'd see that in the modern days :O

Baxon

Smash Journeyman
The tournament was ok
exept for : the swiss rounds, the bracket (who started around 11 pm)
The streamming missing , the lack of TV/remotes, the sun reflect on the TVs
and it was waaaaaay too cold in the tourney room....

otherwise it was cool :D

Shout out time :

Armada: I had to face you again in winners second round : (
why me every time ? lol
anyway, thanks for coming, good **** again for the singles/teams
and next time plz don't burn a TV :D

Leffen: Good **** man, your fox is mad smart ;)
too bad we didn't played that MM !
Next time i hope

Beat: I think we played only in teams, we should fix that next time ;)

Zgetto: Aka The Sexiest Fox ever, good **** during the tournament :D
it was nice seeing you again in paris bro' !!!
too bad we didn't go to the eiffel tour last day cauz of the KFC hahahaha (Private joke here)
i'll try to visit you guys soon ;)

Adam: Sorry for the eiffel tour xD
That Week end was intense, lol can't stop thinking about it ;)
Big Thanks for coming, it was a pleasure to house you and miguel after the tourney
Please come back in paris for ESA !!!

Ser&Jimmy : It was nice to see you guys in paris :D
we should play more next time, thx for comming !

Over: it was nice to chill with you again dood
your sheik is awesome, teach me how to get better LOL

Ice: Too bad you had to leave early on sunday :/
i wanted to play you a lot but we only played a few matches...
Plz teach me how to **** marth next time bro'

NMW: It was nice to meet you man, you should come to ESA too !!!
i think we only played teams friendlies, next time we should play singles ;)

PikAlex: We only talked but you seems to be a chill guy
Next time let's play some falco dittos :D

Frenchies: > cubeforum

Big thanks to Slhoka & The staff for this tournament
i'm a bit disapointed because i got 9th
but i lost to armada & ice so it's ok
please slhoka next time don't do Swiss Rounds
or do it good ( i had to face Overtriforce, Adam, Cyr, Doraki, Zen.... etc) wich is weird

sorry if i forgot someone (or for the mistakes) i'm too high for this $hit
FawZ aka Tha Potfather

Armada

Smash Lord
Had a really fun weekend so thanks to everyone that showed up!
****ing epic with the tv that started to burn :p

Thanks to all the people that did help with organisation. Also thanks to Over for teaming with me. Hope to see everyone else at Beast 3!

Have been kind of a trend for Swedish smashers to post "Rocky league" material so I guess I will do it for this tournament (only one thing that happend though).

The Sweds are leaving Dorakis place the day the tournament starts. Leffen is going to take out some cash and when he is done we continue to walk. Some random person standing close to us go to Leffen and say something in french. Leffen smiled towards him then walked away.

I understood that person said something for a reason and then see Leffen forgot all the money in the cash machine. I then took the 60 Euros and gave them to Leffen even if he actually deserved to lose the money ;)

Leffen: "Well I didn't really ****ed up cause it was only 20 Euros"
"Only 20 Euros? I gave them to you from the ATM and it was 60 Euro so don't even try"
"Ahh yeah that's true"

Not much things for the Rocky League this time but at least we have a winner =)

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Well it wasn't really a ****up anyway cuz he got his money back. After getting saved. Twice.

Obviously the TV exploded from all the awesome **** going down on screen. Common side effect playing with Armada. My neighbours have started complaining about the noise from exploding televisions in the middle of the night.

AshuRawRun

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys :), just passing by to thanks every foreigners that made the trip to come here, I was also happy that I've been remembered even tho I don't travel that often, was definitely a great tournament.

Overall it was a pretty neat event, and I'm happy that people from Spain, Netherlands and Sweden could come in Paris, I hope you enjoyed your stay there and also here's a little video (in french sadly) that were made by people who were at the tournament:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X0018DwY4g

You can see Armada, Adam and Fauster Fayk being intereviewed and a few other people aswell (some starcraft II players, some League of Legends players and some Shootmania players)

Abate

Smash Journeyman
"Armada was playing so hard that a TV on which he was playing couldn't handle it and shut off releasing a cloud of smoke."

lmao. can't wait to see him play at Apex.

Top Bottom