• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hey! Im 14 and want to get into Melee!

Scottbatman24

Smash Rookie
FOR TL:DR READ ONLY IN BOLD

So guys my names Scott i'm 14 and have been interested in Smash for about 7 months now.
I began playing on SSF2 (Super Smash Flash 2), after about a week i fell in love with the game. However I knew that SSF2
would be nothing like an actual Smash game. So about 5 months ago I went to Insomnia Gaming Festival hoping that the Nintendo stand would be open. It was and for the first time I was playing actual smash. I did decently only playing Kirby for about 14 matches (mix between 4,3 and 2 player games) and winning around 7. Now clearly knowing that I want to play smash only 2 weeks later I go and buy original Super Smash Bros for my N64. I've been playing it for about 3 months now and i'm fairly ok. I don't know any advanced techs (but obviously shield when land) however I can edge guard well and understand fully what i'm doing. BUT RECENTLY I'VE BEEN WATCHING A LOT OF MELEE AND ITS PLAYERS FROM PLAYERS LIKE KEN AND ISAI TO MANGO AND M2K. SO NOW WHAT SHOULD TERMINOLOGY SHOULD I KNOW AND WHAT TECHS SHOULD I LEARN

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Look here for information and ask any questions here

If you haven't already, watch the Smash Bros documentary too, just to learn about the history of the game.

And just a note, threads like this are discouraged because they are so frequent. There are already threads available to answer any questions you have.

PepaCorn

Smash Apprentice
The moment any new person watches the documentary they think they know it all

Scottbatman24

Smash Rookie
Look here for information and ask any questions here

If you haven't already, watch the Smash Bros documentary too, just to learn about the history of the game.

And just a note, threads like this are discouraged because they are so frequent. There are already threads available to answer any questions you have.
Thanks I'm part way through the documentary at the moment that's what made me look for help :D

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I agree with you here, I hate doc kids' attitudes. It doesn't make it any worse of a resource though just because it has a lot of bad followers.

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
Who cares what got people interested in the game? Don't drive people away from joining the community because you want to look down your nose and brag about how you've been here longer. The documentary is largely responsible for the rapid growth of the community over the last couple years. We all started somewhere. Just welcome them to the club and help them along, nobody cares how you discovered the smash community while prospecting for gold in Sri Lanka.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Who cares what got people interested in the game? Don't drive people away from joining the community because you want to look down your nose and brag about how you've been here longer. The documentary is largely responsible for the rapid growth of the community over the last couple years. We all started somewhere. Just welcome them to the club and help them along, nobody cares how you discovered the smash community while prospecting for gold in Sri Lanka.
Mmm I'd normally agree with you but I never said the doc was a bad thing. In fact, quite the opposite, I recommended it to him. When we say that the doc made some people think they know everything, that isn't necessarily something bad about the documentary, moreso the people themselves. And I don't think either of us were, as you say, looking down our noses and bragging about how we've been here longer. The two of us who expressed negative opinions, me and PepaCorn PepaCorn , both joined only in 2015, so it's not like we're veterans ourselves. Well, I shouldn't speak for others but at least that's how it is for me. The documentary was a large part of what introduced me to the scene as well, that's why I recommended it.

Besides, I didn't discover competitive Smash searching for gold in Sri Lanka, it was in a Best Buy parking lot.

PepaCorn

Smash Apprentice
The two of us who expressed negative opinions, me and PepaCorn PepaCorn , both joined only in 2015, .
I've actually been playing since early 2013 I just never needed to make a post until the beginning of this year lol.

It's not that I'm bragging about playing for longer, it's just many documentary people seem to think Isai is still the greatest and have very little knowledge of anyone the documentary doesn't focus on; Stuff like that.

This doesn't bother me unless they claim to have a great knowledge bank

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
It's simply that the tone of the posts came off as more dismissive than constructive. After watching 4 hours of history on the scene, people are bound to feel pretty informed, even if a lot of the data regarding the smashers is a bit outdated. And they can't really be blamed for that. If he was being arrogant about his knowledge, I could see bringing him down a couple pegs, but he just seems excited and ready to learn.

Honestly J$, I didn't realize you were the same person that posted the two links and recommended the doc in the first place, and kudos to the Best Buy parking lot retort =p. I've just seen a lot of older players, not quite as much on smashboards but on other outlets, that talk about "doc kids" as if it's a negative thing and that for some reason they don't deserve to be a part of the community because of how they were drawn to it. The IRL smash community is so cool, I just don't want negative first impressions make newcomers feel excluded or unwanted.

Hawkins

Smash Rookie
Hey Scottbatman24! welcome to Smash! I'm pretty new myself but i wanted to say welcome and good luck in your local scene (if you dont know where yours is, check the facebook links here on SmashBoards) Really basic techniques to learn are L-cancelling, wavedashing, dashdancing and for another one i would recommend working on your ledge game. learn to be super quick with ledgehop attacks. one of my bad habits is either being to slow off the ledge or repeatedly doing the exact same thing, try not to make that habit! Also, it is of course a good idea to pick a main quickly if you haven't already. (dont go with kirby man. i mean if you really like a character then fine, but PLEASE find someone other than kirby for your own sake. there has to be someone else you like.) Also, i recommend the youtube channel SSBM Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC46ZTid4t2ctB6osM0WTiJA
theres lots of good stuff here i think. and check out your specific character forum here for any character specific tech or general ideas to know. my only other piece of advice would be to become familiar with stage picks and counterpicks. know which stages your character likes, both overall and in specific matchups, and know where to take your opponents characters and where to avoid letting specific characters take you. stage choice makes all the difference in this game.
Anyway, good luck! and dont get discouraged. it can be real frustrating to get into a scene where you start at the bottom and everyone else is so good. (at least it can be for me sometimes) but the game is great and i think its more than worth it.

Scottbatman24

Smash Rookie
Hey Scottbatman24! welcome to Smash! I'm pretty new myself but i wanted to say welcome and good luck in your local scene (if you dont know where yours is, check the facebook links here on SmashBoards) Really basic techniques to learn are L-cancelling, wavedashing, dashdancing and for another one i would recommend working on your ledge game. learn to be super quick with ledgehop attacks. one of my bad habits is either being to slow off the ledge or repeatedly doing the exact same thing, try not to make that habit! Also, it is of course a good idea to pick a main quickly if you haven't already. (dont go with kirby man. i mean if you really like a character then fine, but PLEASE find someone other than kirby for your own sake. there has to be someone else you like.) Also, i recommend the youtube channel SSBM Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC46ZTid4t2ctB6osM0WTiJA
theres lots of good stuff here i think. and check out your specific character forum here for any character specific tech or general ideas to know. my only other piece of advice would be to become familiar with stage picks and counterpicks. know which stages your character likes, both overall and in specific matchups, and know where to take your opponents characters and where to avoid letting specific characters take you. stage choice makes all the difference in this game.
Anyway, good luck! and dont get discouraged. it can be real frustrating to get into a scene where you start at the bottom and everyone else is so good. (at least it can be for me sometimes) but the game is great and i think its more than worth it.
Thank you for replying, At the moment I can Shorthop,Fast-fall, Kinda Wavedash and the same for dashdancing. However I'm struggling with l-cancelling (Also I've been playing alot of peach as I'm aware of the rock bottom placement Kirby has in the tier list but thanks for making sure I dont forget!) :kirby64::peachmelee:

Ministry

Smash Ace
mango was originally a link main, then puff.
pp was originally a mario main.
m2k was originally a mewtwo main
armada was originally a marth main
bomb soldier developed the advanced falco meta.
the best Dk's were PKM and Bum.
koren DJ use to beat everyone with almost every character.
chu beat everyone 1 handed
ppl still dont marth killer luigi...
hungrybox was really bad originally , he planked ppl in tournament to go farther and get more experience vs better players. then eventually starting beating the bad players, and got good from there. great strategy imo

yay look how much i know more than doc kids.
bla bla bla

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
mango was originally a link main, then puff.
pp was originally a mario main.
m2k was originally a mewtwo main
armada was originally a marth main
bomb soldier developed the advanced falco meta.
the best Dk's were PKM and Bum.
koren DJ use to beat everyone with almost every character.
chu beat everyone 1 handed
ppl still dont marth killer luigi...
hungrybox was really bad originally , he planked ppl in tournament to go farther and get more experience vs better players. then eventually starting beating the bad players, and got good from there. great strategy imo

yay look how much i know more than doc kids.
bla bla bla
Are you trying to make a point? While that's all pretty interesting, it isn't very relevant.

copke

I Just Got This Controller
NNID
copke46
3DS FC
1049-0983-0823
I agree with you partly.

I started out with the documentary but saw it nothing more as a history lesson, it's not a reflective document on how the top players of today's skills are and how they play well against others. It just gives a bit of a background lesson on how the game got to where it is.

Top Bottom