• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hey guys new to smashboards was looking for some help for Evo

Chingaling24

Smash Rookie
Hey guys i main mega man and am going to be attending Evo this year and was wondering what the best set of custom moves would be to use. I've played around with some and see the potential they have but just dont know what the right set would be any advice would be appreciated thanks.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
I'd say 1122 if you play offensive. This is not to dismiss his normal moves, but Tornado Hold is really good, but does not over shadow the others since the recovery is terrible, however there is A LOT of stuff to it like trumping, combos with lots of hitstun, shield poking, immune to reflectors and the ability to only sorta ledge stall which is only more effective on curved stages.

Then there's skull barrier which would be really good if you know all you're gonna do is grab an opponent. It goes hand to hand with Crash Bomber since while skull barrier is active, it negates the explosion if you manage to get it stuck on you which to reiterate could potentially be a free grab.

Experiment with it as much as you can, and consider post #2's link. Also master all the tech/glitchniques like DITCIT for example because there may come a few players who've mastered it by this point.

Last edited:

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
I prefer default moves.

Rush is vital for escaping some moves/combos and good for mixup. And the odd early kill off the top to unsuspecting players. Leaf Shield is great for gimping/grab game and is good penetrating long range projectile. The only one I would consider picking is Danger Wrap but even that.. but I'm sure all that stuff has been talked to death in other threads. Don't want to start a discussion on pros/cons here.

My main suggestion is that you should go with what you are good with and know the combos for. If you have a lot of practice with all customs, take your pick, but certainly don't go in blind based on popular opinion.

Also, if you don't already, practice MB > running rar Bair for kills. Especially on larger character.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Danger wrap is a must, Mega man has trouble getting kills and DW reply helps with that. Only certain situations I don't use it.

All 3 up Bs have their uses, if you like having more in your face options use tornado hold, if you want to have amazing recovery choose beat.

Almost always choose plant barrier over LS due to the greater damage output and quicker disappear time if you get caught offstage with it.

Skull barrier for projectile heavy users (rob, olimar, samus, duck hunt, etc)

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Danger Wrap is only optional IMO as is Crash Bomber, like I've said before with pretty much all the customs, I don't feel like it overshadows Crash Bomber at all, and while it is true that shields recover pretty fast, they decay a lot faster in this game as well. You can get away with poking very often thanks to the crash bomber and air shooter especially if you plan to actually do damage. Danger Wrap however if you can get it right and choose the right counter pick stage, like D. Plaza, it really shines on such stages. Other than that, you'll find it more situational use in neutral stages... Unless you really know how to get it to hit people every single time.

I don't find the problem with Mega Man to be killing though when we consider his tech/glitchniques as well. His problem feels like on the ground, he's got more issues with certain projectiles than anything else. (That includes rush downs.) Unless power shielding is your strong point, that I feel is problematic especially when facing more well establish defensive characters than Mega Man... Which is why I've considered the Skull Barrier especially if you go with it with crash bomber.

Top Bottom