• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

I don't like Erdrick's voice. He sounds like a weenie.
I find the voice cool since it is the same one Link had in 64 and Melee, tbh.

And the story behind my boy Eight's voice actor is just awesome and even has inspired me to give voice acting a new chance sometime in the future.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Sad to say but after playing as and againts the hero for a bit it turns out i hate this freaking character.

Everything he does is telegraphed as hell, his spell system is slow and clunky as hell, and his only saving grace seems to be dumb rng like critical hits/just happening to get the right spell at the exact right time. I really wanted to like this character but instead i'm just thoroughly dissapointed.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
He's one of the few Japanese voice actors whos voice is distinct enough that I recognize him in everything he's been in.

The only other ones I can think of that do this are Masako Nozawa and Heihachi's old actor.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Sad to say but after playing as and againts the hero for a bit it turns out i hate this freaking character.

Everything he does is telegraphed as hell, his spell system is slow and clunky as hell, and his only saving grace seems to be dumb rng like critical hits/just happening to get the right spell at the exact right time. I really wanted to like this character but instead i'm just thoroughly dissapointed.
I can get past the rng because his nuetral and side specials are so absurdly powerful. They get me through a lot of the match so that the spell menu isn't as important.

Zap is hard for me. The first one kind of sucks. But second one is amazing and third one is the best. I even used it to cover a big part of the edge and got a KO out of it.
I've been using the stage 1 Zap (sometimes stage 2) a lot like a Z-air, that way you can safely jump around. If the opponents jump at the same time, you can catch them mid-air, if they rush to catch your landing you can use it just before landing. So far, it has been a pretty effective zoning tool for me.

My only complaint so far is that I feel he's kind of someone who is heavily hurt by how telegraphed he does is. Basic attacks? Telegraphed like ****.
*Cries in Link*

PhaseDistorter

Smash Rookie
I think it's awesome, if not purely because of the Ocarina of Time Link aspect. His voice is so iconic, it really sends me back.

Anyway, I've been enjoying Hero in general. When I'm playing him, I really feel like I'm controlling an RPG character; you really have to be tactical with his moves. It's true the random elements can really mess you up at times (it's a gamble whether or not you have the right spell for a given situation) but it's an experience unlike any other past Smash character. It feels fresh, at least at the moment.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
So I found the Adventure music from the trailer that we didn't get in the DLC because the DQ composer is a ****.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
One thing that I've noticed is that, unless I got REALLY bad RNG when using Hero's down-B a lot, Metal Slash appears to be turned off for Special Smash, or at least Special Smash when Metal is set as one of the options. That's a nice touch if that's really the case; I was concerned that move was going to be overpowered in that scenario.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
It's weird how everyone seems to be casting judgement on Hero solely based on their impression of Command Window. Either he's the best character in the game because his Command Window is so versatile or he's the worst character because Command Window isn't reliable in most situations.

Either way, I doubt Command Window will really have much bearing on his place in the meta, as many characters have had moves that are significantly more or less powerful than their user. Fox is still good in Melee in spite of Illusion being one of the worst specials in the game and Ganondorf is still bad in Wii U despite Up Smash being one of the best moves in the game.

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
I haven't bought any DLCs in awhile (I didn't even buy the Joker DLC!!!) but after playing against several Hero players, I must honestly say he's not that impressive. His basic attacks are too much like BotW Link's, and while his neutral and side specials are powerful, they can be easily avoided. I thought only the person using Hero would be seeing the command window, but it looks like I was wrong. Also you can't activate a spell immediately, so more often than not I get a good attack in while they're still deciding on what spell to use. His recovery is good, but could also be gimped. Plus, if you use too much mana and run out of it, a simple backthrow is enough to kill you, since they don't have enough mana to do their up B.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So I finally played Hero. The first Hero I played as was Eight. It’s so awesome that my first and favorite Dragon Quest game got a playable fighter in Smash. I had fun playing as Hero. The specials were a little confusing but I think with enough practice I should get the hang of it.

LethalHero

Smash Cadet
NNID
LethalHeroX120
So as someone who is very ignorant when it comes to the Dragon Quest composer, I hear a lot of people insult him and give him a bad name. Why is this?

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
It's because he's both a homophobic bigot and has loudly gone on record several time to deny japanese war crimes. Sdditionally but in a less severe note he's extremely greedy and controlling when it comes to his music forbidding having his work officially covered, refusing to allow his orchestrated works in most dragon quest games(or non-dragon quest games for that matter.), and being a member of what's essentially the japanese equivalent of the DMCA in regards to music.

In essence he's.. quite the piece of work.. unfortunate too as i am quite fond of his early dragon quest compositions(particularly 3 and 4 especially.) so it's indeed sad to see such talent filled with so much hate..

Speaking of music though.. the arrangement of "Adventure" used here is honestly.. depressing such a grand tune done a disservice with.. terrible quality midi trumpet samples and such. I wonder why they couldn't have just used the more powerful sounding original NES/GBC version if they couldn't get the rights to the symphonic suite version used in the trailer at least. Surely the chiptune tracks can't be THAT hard to get the rights for?

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
It's because he's both a homophobic bigot and has loudly gone on record several time to deny japanese war crimes. Sdditionally but in a less severe note he's extremely greedy and controlling when it comes to his music forbidding having his work officially covered, refusing to allow his orchestrated works in most dragon quest games, and being a member of what's essentially the japanese equivalent of the DMCA in regards to music.

In essence he's.. quite the piece of work.. unfortunate too as i am quite fond of his early dragon quest compositions(particularly 3 and 4 especially.) so it's indeed sad to see such talent filled with so much hate..
For future reference, you might want to quote users like LethalHero LethalHero to make absolutely sure they see you're responding to them. You can also tag them like I have too.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So as someone who is very ignorant when it comes to the Dragon Quest composer, I hear a lot of people insult him and give him a bad name. Why is this?
He denies Japan's involvement in WW2. Which he shouldn't be doing because the man lived through that, he knows full well what went down.

Side note people have told me that DQ11's soundtrack is one of the weaker ones in the series, but hearing the battle theme compared to the others I don't really see it, it's my favorite of the battle themes.

Improdigal

Smash Rookie
I see people don't appreciate how clunky the down b is, but tbh as long as you're somewhat lucky just using at random is a viable strategy until you get the hang of reading the spells

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm starting to like the character more. I'll probably use hero quite a bit for the fun of it, and now that im looking out more for accelerate, i have a bit more fun with the regular moves too. I'm sure eventually ill look for oomph too, but i do really like more speed :D

Also.. whack and thwack... I actually got some ko's with it at very low percent.. which is both pretty amusing but also devastating competitively :p

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I'm starting to like the character more. I'll probably use hero quite a bit for the fun of it, and now that im looking out more for accelerate, i have a bit more fun with the regular moves too. I'm sure eventually ill look for oomph too, but i do really like more speed :D

Also.. whack and thwack... I actually got some ko's with it at very low percent.. which is both pretty amusing but also devastating competitively :p
I've yet to land Whack at all yet. Anybody know exactly what it does?

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
I don't know bout you guys. I find down b off stage to be a bit of a detriment
The truth is that if down b is not a good idea to do it outside the stage because you can kill yourself in what you choose the spell for everything you go down while doing it, I would only do it if I didn't have enough mp to make a tornado level to recover and then tempt luck to try to zoom

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
I hope they tone down the frequency of critical hits and to a much lesser extent whack kills. It happens way too often in my experience. In a three hour session I would get about 2-3 crits per round. It doesnt seem like much, but competitively on a large scale I'm a bit worried.

I play BB and Guilty Gear so I'm used to RNG characters, but the smash community is notoriously conservative. I REALLY don't want a repeat of the Mii situation this game.

It gives a (very) small chance to just *pop* the opponent into oblivion. A complete meme move

Kronch

Smash Cadet
Neutral B is really good, as is Side B. I try to poke people with the uncharged Neutral B, which is very spammable, combos into a bunch of stuff, and even can be confirmed into bair for a kill at later percents. I also make sure to keep them out with Side B, and then use the menu when they're far enough away that I can figure out exactly what I'm doing.

Accelerate and Magic Burst are his best spells imo, with Psyche Up close behind (a Psyched Up f-smash can break a shield in one hit!).

D

Deleted member

The virgin DQ composer
>Hates the LGTB group and denies the existence of concentration camps or Japan's presence during World War 3.
>Has so much ego that he doesn't let most people get their hands on it even for minimal stuff.
>Gave us 8 Midi songs while Persona got 11 songs in non-midi form.
>Probably hard to negotiate with.

VS

The chad Akira Toriyama
>Only thing that could come close to controversial from him is his dislike of being on camera, which isn't an awful thing.
>Is fine with people asking him to use their stuff in general.
>Gave us as many Spirits as Persona 5 got.
>Potentially cool to negotiate with.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
The virgin DQ composer
>Hates the LGTB group and denies the existence of concentration camps or Japan's presence during World War 3.
>Has so much ego that he doesn't let most people get their hands on it even for minimal stuff.
>Gave us 8 Midi songs while Persona got 11 songs in non-midi form.
>Probably hard to negotiate with.

VS

The chad Akira Toriyama
>Only thing that could come close to controversial from him is his dislike of being on camera, which isn't an awful thing.
>Is fine with people asking him to use their stuff in general.
>Gave us as many Spirits as Persona 5 got.
>Potentially cool to negotiate with.
Yeah, it does suck that Sugiyama has to go and be a homophobic, xenophobic, war crime denier...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Sugiyama is a product of his time/era. Not that that excuses any of his actions, but it is really unfortunate for those of us that love the symphonic orchestra music.

Whack and Thwack have the same effect, but different range/probabilities (yet funny enough, Thwack is also technically a projectile/can be reflected).

I've been going off of this post, but the percentages probably vary.

Whack is arguably worse but does go a long distance and can be deceptive/unexpected with how slow it goes. Thwack needs more MP/somewhat better spacing, but then stuff like this can happen: (it's Leffen/twitch, so obligatory language warning) https://www.twitch.tv/leffen/clip/AlertArtsyAxeMrDestructoid

I always go for the YOLO Zoom, somehow always pull it when it I need it most. But I also practiced a lot to see how deep I can go/still make it back with Kaswoosh.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
Just wanted to pop in and say that I loved Hero's Classic mode and Spirit battles. I'm not a Dragon Quest fan so the references went over my head, but I still very much enjoyed them.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Sugiyama is a product of his time/era. Not that that excuses any of his actions, but it is really unfortunate for those of us that love the symphonic orchestra music.

Whack and Thwack have the same effect, but different range/probabilities (yet funny enough, Thwack is also technically a projectile/can be reflected). I've been going off of this.

Whack is arguably worse but does go a long distance/can be deceptive/unexpected with how slow it goes. Thwack needs more MP/somewhat better spacing, but then stuff like this can happen:
(it's Leffen/twitch, so obligatory language warning) https://www.twitch.tv/leffen/clip/AlertArtsyAxeMrDestructoid
Those percentages are bit too high, in my opinion :O
Thwack actually comes out pretty fast, so it's pretty devestating. (definitely fun casually ;p) I guess it's something people will have to watch out for, looking at the other's menu.

It shoots a little dark ball, and can ko by the % IsmaR posted.

Only use it off stage if you have a jump left. In other words, use it if youre far off stage before you'd use jump and up-b. Careful if they have projectiles they could throw at you tho. In general i dont think it's the best option, but i think it can still be a good try, for zoom or acceleratle.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I’m sad we didn’t get Hero’s Challenge as a song. But getting 8 of them is impressive given who he was working with.

D

Deleted member

I’m sad we didn’t get Hero’s Challenge as a song. But getting 8 of them is impressive given who he was working with.
True.

And thankfully it seems Toriyama proved everyone who theorized about him being a huge trouble with the negotiations for Smash absolutely wrong.

He gave us as many spirits as P5 got in number, and a good number of Mii costumes.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Would anyone like to start an arena for anyone who wants to fight with The Hero? I don't know how to manage an arena bigger than two people so I'm not fit for it.

We wouldn't need to play right away, we could schedule it or something.

D

Deleted member

Would anyone like to start an arena for anyone who wants to fight with The Hero? I don't know how to manage an arena bigger than two people so I'm not fit for it.

We wouldn't need to play right away, we could schedule it or something.
I wish I could, but I sadly don’t own an Online subscription =(.

Hopefully I join many of you here when I get one doh.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
What songs would you have liked to come and did not come to me I would have liked Great Battle in the Vast Sky

Top Bottom