• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Helping my friend pick a Main

Zujx

Smash Apprentice
A good friend of mine just started to really get into Project:M he's come from the brawl scene with little to no melee experience. I've been sparring with him lately and teaching him all the basic techs and he's catching on quickly which is good. He's run into a roadblock though since he's relatively new to the game he wants to pick a one character to main for now so he can learn all the ropes. He's narrowed it down to 3 choices and is completely torn. Unfortunately, I have extremely limited knowledge on those characters in specific to help with his choices.

The Choices:
Charizard
Bowser
R.O.B.

If you play any of three characters or are relatively knowledgeable about them would you mind saying why you chose your character, advantages/disadvantages, general tips, etc.

Hopefully I can show him this thread and it can help him out.

N00B64

Smash Cadet
Bowser is very much about passive play until you land your hit. then its trainwreck your opponent and making sure they can't get up. His problem is that he is slow and doesn't have many approach options so you REALLY have to rely on armor and attacking first. Make sure to space your attacks and ledgehog when possible for either getting a kill or using it to dodge a move.
while his recovery is predicable it isn't too punishable since his UpB usually hits first

Charizard can be much of the same but has no armor to save him in tight situations so you really have to rely on his speed to get in and land your hits first.
he has good aerial game and can juggle characters pretty well, but you have to space your moves. like bowser his recovery can be predictable, only it is much more punishable, so you really have to practice with him.

R.O.B is much more about keep away and techskill. he has many more approach options but cannot handle people being in his face. He can juggle people off the edge with his forward air and gyro to get some easy kills and can recover very well without being predicable due to his sideB and upB having 3 spurts.

Hopefully this helps but I would really recommend going to each characters discussion board, read a bit of some stuff and watch some gameplay videos.

some players to watch are "gimpyfish" and "kirk" for Bowser, "aposl" and "the lust" for Charizard, and "Jcaesar" for R.O.B

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
Someone should make a "personality quiz" that helps people pick their main. Questions would be related to how you like to play, your biggest weakness as a player, your biggest strength, etc.

Rhinevalcke6

Smash Cadet
Someone should make a "personality quiz" that helps people pick their main. Questions would be related to how you like to play, your biggest weakness as a player, your biggest strength, etc.
I would like to see this.

I main Roy and Wolf because they feel the most comfortable to me, but I'd be interested if there was a character that better suited my playstyle.

Unless me maining Roy and Wolf says something about my playstyle?

rockmanmegaman

Smash Rookie
Charizard has good aerial, and he's good at making combo and juggling opponents. However, the problem with Charizard is that Charizard is extremely easy to juggle, and he has a hard time versing long range campers like Link.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
A completely non-biased opinion here....but Mario. ;-D You know he wanna.

Out of those three, the only ones I really find to be interesting to use are R.O.B. and Charizard. I've had much more experience and been allowed to frustrate my opponents more with R.O.B. than either of the other two. Charizard has potential, but I can't get over his slower heavy feel.

Top Bottom