• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with Marth's spike.

Yau

Smash Rookie
Relatively new played and was wondering if I could get some insight on Marth's spike (dair). Every time I go of stage and land one I am usually dying as well because I cant hardly move and it wont let me use up-b right away. So what is the solution to this am I burning my jump when I go out to hit the dair or do I have to land a fair first like in a Ken combo?

Enemony

Smash Rookie
Honestly please don't try to learn Ken combo, or spike combos when you are a new player. It is really supposed to be an icing on the cake type of thing. Learn the basics of the character before everything else. Ken combo can be REALLY misleading, it looks almost easy but in actuality is one of the hardest things to pull off because you have to be able to feel your character SO WELL. you have to be able to basically tipper every single move while in a combo super fast, its really just not easy.

Yau

Smash Rookie
Oh yeah I totally understand where you are coming from in all that I guess I didn't specify how new I am. I can do a lot of the tech (wavedash SHFFL etc etc) fairly consistent I am just confused by this spike Marth has. I don't know if it something with my jump timing or how I am hitting them but I have trouble getting back on stage when I go out for it.

Toe

Smash Apprentice
Usually you're going to want to jump and then dair soon after. So a ken combo would be jump -> fair -> second jump -> dair, and then usually recover with up b or sometimes you can just land or side b back to stage. Just takes some practice to be able to do on cpus but against real players its far more difficult, but youll learn that more as you play them

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
While I wouldn't say the Ken Combo is something super advanced or a "leave it to the pros" kind of thing, I do agree that you should focus on getting your movement and control of Marth down before you get into doing specific combos.
In the combo, the double jump is used and immediately followed by the Dair. The jump helps stop the downward momentum you'd get from doing the Dair by itself.
If you feel like practicing the combo specifically, you can mess around with shorthop Fairs on CPUs on Final Destination. Note that tippered Fairs send the opponent up, and regular Fairs send them away. You'll practice keeping your opponent in hitstun by attacking them at the right distance. Once they're pushed offstage, you will be setup for the spike. But you have to adjust your timing and spacing depends on their %, their DI, and the character being used (CPU opponents can make it seem easier than is). It's for this reason you should work on your general movement around the stage, on the ground, in the air, and around the ledge so that you can better understand what you need to do.

Since you're mastering the advanced techniques, check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IACW5mltqY
(Marth Trials)

xCardiac

Smash Apprentice
Try getting the timing of letting go of this;

Let go of ledge > Jump > Hold into stage > D air

This way, you'll land safely onto the stage and not be stuck in the lag. Also apply it as a shuffle so you can reduce the lag incase of a whiff.

Jay

AirFair

Marth tho
Usually, the best way to spike and make it back on the stage is just to make sure you are above the stage by a good amount, so you can recover with enough time to up b onto the ledge or stage. Aside from that, the only thing you can do is just use the dair as soon as you jump so it finishes sooner.

Top Bottom