• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help With Falcon Grabs

chewchachoman

Smash Rookie
Falcons Grabs are an important part of his game and its something that I'm struggling with. My questions are about the practical means of physically grabbing your opponent. I'll break down my issues 1 by 1 and you can address them however you see fit.

1.Dash Grab: I love falcons dash grab just because of its overall speed but frequently i will whiff this and not really understand why. I will begin the grab animation at what appears to be a reasonable distance yet Falcon will slide by and finish his animation behind my opponent. This is mostly due to my lack of understanding falcons hit box for this move i.e. at what point in this animation can falcon actually execute a grab. Frame data may or may not be helpful since i haven't quite master how to apply that just yet. (but with training modes new feature of advancing one frame at a time, its possible)

2. Double Jab to Grab: I hear talk of this and it seems like something to get down since his jabs are easy to land. However, in many situations i end up throwing out a gentleman. Any tips on this? Does it only work at certain percents and what are they (just a rough number, not for every character)
3. Turn around Grab: Similar problem as the previous one, the timing seems to be different than in brawl but i could be wrong. I attempt a turn around grab and and up throwing up an f-tilt. What could i do differently?

4. Roll Cancel grab: I practice this and it comes down to some times it happens and sometimes it doesn't. I'm sure the window to execute this is pretty small. I know that falcons Roll Cancel grab is great so getting this down is important to me, but should it be?

Is there anything I missed? Any other weird quirks about grabbing i should know about?

Last edited:

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
1. Falcon's Dash Grab is much better when he actually starts to run, if you're doing a foxtrot + grab then you aren't getting the full range, but I've suffered this too when up close.
3. You have to hit Back + Grab at basically the same time, or else you'll do an FTilt. Try to actually time it rather than just pivotting and waiting a few frames. If you hit them both at the same time you'll successfully pivot grab.
4. Make sure that Roll comes out at least a frame before the grab, it actually may be frame perfect. The roll must start in order for you to cancel it into the grab, at least, that's the feel I've gotten for it.

His standing grab range is terrible, but his moving grab ranges makes up for it since Falcon is the only character who carries momentum while grabbing. Someone even tried to fake a Falcon Kick cancelled Grab because of this.

I didn't go over 2 because I honestly do not recognize this.

chewchachoman

Smash Rookie
1. Falcon's Dash Grab is much better when he actually starts to run, if you're doing a foxtrot + grab then you aren't getting the full range, but I've suffered this too when up close.
3. You have to hit Back + Grab at basically the same time, or else you'll do an FTilt. Try to actually time it rather than just pivotting and waiting a few frames. If you hit them both at the same time you'll successfully pivot grab.
4. Make sure that Roll comes out at least a frame before the grab, it actually may be frame perfect. The roll must start in order for you to cancel it into the grab, at least, that's the feel I've gotten for it.

His standing grab range is terrible, but his moving grab ranges makes up for it since Falcon is the only character who carries momentum while grabbing. Someone even tried to fake a Falcon Kick cancelled Grab because of this.

I didn't go over 2 because I honestly do not recognize this.
You're help with the pivot great was great. Understanding that the input needs to be nearly simultaneous I've mastered it instantly. I'll try to find a video of his jab to grab combo and put it in my first post, because I'm hoping this will not only help me but others with similar issues.

visvim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
visvim-1893
3DS FC
1736-0405-5625
For 2, try pressing down to cancel after your second jab and before the grab. If you can do the input fluidly, he should grab instead of gentleman.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I honestly never use roll-canceled grab, precisely because Falcon's dash grab is already so goddamn useful, heh. It's another option, sure, but it's not necessary.

Double jab to grab is better executed if you're nearly glued to your opponent, since Falcon's standing grab is so garbage. And then there's the other way around: when your jabs are hitting your opponent so far away that you can actually do a dash-grab. You need to be quick with your fingers to use it, obviously.

[mastershake]~~

Smash Cadet
Man I am having a huge problem punishing rolls with dash grab. I main shulk and have no problem with the timing on his vanilla and speed grab, but with falcon I am getting there way too early to punish. The character is still in the roll animation arriving at my grab as I throw it out. The funny thing is that i have no problem reading rolls with dash attack, but this severly limits options/comboing as grab set ups are important with falcon. Would reverse pivot grab solve this, or is it a timing issue where I just need to delay my dash grab. I wish you could set the computer to "roll" in training mode to work on timing.

visvim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
visvim-1893
3DS FC
1736-0405-5625
Man I am having a huge problem punishing rolls with dash grab. I main shulk and have no problem with the timing on his vanilla and speed grab, but with falcon I am getting there way too early to punish. The character is still in the roll animation arriving at my grab as I throw it out. The funny thing is that i have no problem reading rolls with dash attack, but this severly limits options/comboing as grab set ups are important with falcon. Would reverse pivot grab solve this, or is it a timing issue where I just need to delay my dash grab. I wish you could set the computer to "roll" in training mode to work on timing.
I'd say it'd likely be more beneficial to work on your timing - the combination of Falcon's speed, dash mechanics and crazy grab reach make mastering his dash grab a unique challenge. But it is definitely good to understand how his pivot grab works as well.

Top Bottom