• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Vs Marth

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
Hi i play against a Marth quite frequently, who is very very happy and likes to abuse the double fair-> tilt/fsmash and spamms it. Any tips and or strategies against a marth like this? Shield grab isnt an option, and neither is shield-> nair.
-edit-
Also, what are good ways of recovering back to ledge of final destination? Marths Fsmash and dtilt seems really effective against me.
thanks in advance.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Gah!!!! Its so early in the morning and I have not slept yet. Im gonna after this post so Lets see if I can give good advice while im half asleep/

Camp Him. If he wants to be cheap, you be cheap as well. When he is not near you Pick up turnips and throw them at him over and over. spam the turnips. Doing this does many things.......

- Makes it very hard for marth to attack you

- You slow him down and cant spam his move much.

-create a wall of turnips in from of you that Marth needs to get through in order to hit you, but by the time he does that, you should areadly have something planned for marth as a counter attack, or just grab him Aslo with in the wall. instead of picking up one from the ground, Z-grab the ones in the air( the wall) and trow it at him for fast turnip throwing. Dont pick one up when he is near you. Smart and fast players will punish you for it.

Now for his happy spaming azz. While he does that, dont rush into him. If I know these power hungry marth, they will only foward air you twice, once his second one comes in, Dash attack him (grab can work too if fast enough)When Marth Full jumps, I bet he F-airs twice right? when he does the first one, done rush at him, cause another on is gonna come in after that comes in and close enough, Dash attack him.then if you need room, camp him (spam turnips at him) If Your friend cries or complains about this, Dont stop cause of that. Marth can be real cheap with Peach and I think Peach gets it the worst from Marth than other characters in this game. So if he wants to be gay about it, you do the same. Camp him and rack up damage. Peach can be a tank. Just sit in place and rack up damage. Then once you think you can knock him out go for it.

You can shield grab Marth If he dash attacks you or F-airs you up close, you can grab him out the shield, if he is not that close when the attack his your shield dont even bother. Roll away or run to get space and camp him if possible at that moment.

As for coming back on the stage, If you know you dont have a jump, Up -B early and Glide to the stage, but beware, now Marth gets power hungry and he will go crazy with his Up-air and maybe F/Bair. Try to syke him out for safe landing. Mindgames comes into play here cause once you up-B, thats it, your oh so very open to an attack and nothing you can do about it.

Also if you know marth is gonna Fsmash you and you did not U-B yet, toad him............but at your own risk. and dont make it to obvious. he will catch on then wait till you toad him then knock you out.

Not much you can do if you get Dtilted but Up-B your azz off and try to smash DI it.If close to the edge, when he Dtilts you, tech it. it raises you up and you can go even higher. but you have to be close enough to the edge and time the tech right.

I believe that is all the advice I have for your lil problem. Any more question about Marth, i'll be happy to help. I dont like this match up at all, So I read and learn every lil thing I can do to end is azz.And how to be cheap on him as well as he does to Peach. and camping is one good way to start. and its very affective if you can camp very well. Just dont rush into him alot unless you know for sure your gonna get the hit on him, or its combo city for you. Good luck

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Everything dark pch said of course.

Focus on trading blows with him if you cannot directly attack him, you can live much higher than him and hurt him far worse.

Most good marths will focus on landing behind you or perfectly space their air attacks so they can't be sheildgrabbed, don't rely on that unless the marth is getting sloppy.

If he is perfectly spacing his air attacks and pounding on your shield, roll away and preceed to turnip spam, waiting for a mistake.

If he likes to land behind you, just d-smash, he'll stop doing that.

As far as recovery goes, dark pch didn't mention to use your float if you have it to make it back, that way its abit safer than up-bing due to you aren't defenseless..and if you have to up-b, focus on flying at different speeds to throw him off.

Most marths are going to be very grab happy during the low %s so expect that.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Use peach's natural dodges (fsmash/downtilt/duck) to avoid grabs and ****

Aggressive edgeguarding

sheikan7

Smash Cadet
Hi, I consider myself a good Peach player, she's my second best. =) So, here's a few things I do to get rid of those pesky marths!

Get up in his face. Push him away and run after him again. When and if he tries Dair, either dodge it or (try) the parasol. Remember, her parasol has very high priority against other attacks.

When he decides to get in your face, then it could be a problem. I really wouldn't recommend Toad, but if you like/good with him, then go for it. Try to run away, jump off the edge and jab him with that parasol!

Which brings me to my next point. When he's sitting there charging up his B or Smash Side-A, let yourself fall and float/double jump within parasol distance. Then when you can, hit him through the corner of the stage(works excellent in Final Destination!). If he's learned to take a few steps back and hit you with the tip of his sword, then you can TRY to float/double jump/parasol over him or double take. This may give you a few seconds to land and back off. With that swift and unpredictable Up-B, try your best to dodge it.=\

Turnips can work a while until he/she starts to grab them and use them against you. But chances are he doesn't know how they work. But if they do, try to lay off the turnips for a while.
Marth has a bad turn-around. Try to slide(R/L-right/left) behind him and Smash-A him in the back(unless he's a C-sticker).

Grabbing onto the edge and rolling on or trying her attack can prove useful too, since you'll have a few moments of immunity to attacks.

I'll add something if I forget it =X

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the help everyone, I'm starting to get better at playing on the stage, but my recovery is still horrid, Hes the type of person who doesnt attack unless he knows its going to connect(In terms of ledge guarding). He also attacks according to my position instead of Fsmashing or chargeB guarding everything, which is very annoying. Seems like my only option is good DI.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Thanks for the help everyone, I'm starting to get better at playing on the stage, but my recovery is still horrid, Hes the type of person who doesnt attack unless he knows its going to connect(In terms of ledge guarding). He also attacks according to my position instead of Fsmashing or chargeB guarding everything, which is very annoying. Seems like my only option is good DI.
Most of his hits you cant do much to escape. you you have no choice but to DI away from him and take the hit. Cause of how light Peach is and how she stays in the air when stunned. You at times cant do much but eat it. If he chain grabs you, DI away. Most he should get on you is 2 grabs. If not, your DI is wrong.

And from what you tell me, your friend seems to know you very well. so in this cause all I can say is out smart him. He cant read your mind. So think of a way to throw him off. Mindgame his spamming azz.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
i think i can add a few things to all that's been said. if you want examples of things i say check the peach vs marth vids of me in my thread.

for the recovery - try a little trick i call hiding you jump, use immidieatly after the stun to get out of it, and hold jump while toad is out, you'll be floating with your 2nd jump still there. use that to surprise him, it can work from over the stage and from under the stage with a good timed Up+B. also, try to play him with air dodges towards the stage when he's not expecting. it helps a lot, and fall down during Up+B, play with it as much as you can to annoy him.

for the approach - meet his rushes with timed Dash attacks, follow up with Nair.
also try learning turnip combos, any turnip that hits can be turned to a free Dash attack,Nair,Uair,Bair or Fair if you're close enough.
use turnip spamming to create anti grab walls(the turnip hits his grab and you're free), work on FC Fairs when he's busy fighting turnips.

for the camping - learn to dodge, dodge dodge and dodge some more. each missed Fsmash,Ftilt and much else can be punished by a Dsmash, a Dash attack or a grab according to his position. abuse this and bulldog him.

for the edge guard - be aggressive. float out and Bair his Up+B, or jump out and throw down a turnip to turnip kill him. edge hog when possible.

i hope this helps, and i hope you decide to watch my vids.

ITP

Top Bottom