• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help! Tips on How to Deal with Defensive Players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroSuit700

Smash Rookie
I was looking for help on how to deal with people who play defensively; like camping the edge, spamming projectiles from across the map, and etc. The two best people at my school, they are also my friends, like to run away in the beginning of the match. One just waits for you to make a move, and mess up (he's the best one) with Ness. The other one runs away but sets us his base as Toon Link. It's very hard to break in since they're very good at shielding or will simply punish an approach. If it helps, I play Zero Suit and Lucina.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
I personally play like that. Spacing with aerials and waiting for my opponents to mess up.

I have trouble with sudden movements so rush down characters that can outspace me like Falcon and Diddy will trouble me

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
Not even aggressive characters like Zero Suit Samus and Lucina can get in their spaces? Do you have any footage of your battles with them? I'm not pro as a Lucina player myself, but it would help if we all got to see how they play.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Look up Nairo sets vs defensive players like Dabuz.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It really depends in what way they are playing defensively, as there are many ways to do so. If you can outline the ways that give you the most trouble and with what characters, people could give you more in-depth advice, I'm sure.

ChaosSnake29

Smash Rookie
Because I play as C. Falcon, I usually just keep pressuring since he's really fast. His dash grab can do beautiful things. I only really ever have problems against other fast characters like Sheik and Sonic. Even so, I've noticed a lot of defensive players just try to exploit your offensive pressure strategies by studying what you do and adapting. Sometimes, you might just have to rely on mind games.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Don't fall into their trap. It will not be fun at all but you'll have toto use their game against them and try to force an approach. Practice perfect shielding and don't let them take the lead, because that means they'll never have to approach you.

Jellydino

Smash Cadet
Force them to play your way instead of giving them the breathing room or space to plan things out.

I play defensively when im not using my main 4 and it's part of the reason I have problems fighting good Fox, Falcon, Sonic or ZSS players because they prevent me from doing things the way I want to and force me to play on their terms.

ZeroSuit700

Smash Rookie
Thx guys, some of the stuff you guys said helped. I can't play him for a while, so I'll just be practicing my spacing and dash grabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom