• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help on training by yourself

Dead Sexy Vocab

Smash Journeyman
What would a Smasher do to train without anyone to be with?

Blunted_Object10 told me about doing Falco's Break the Targets level and practice teching... would there be anything else?

Like, how about for practicing SHFFLs, or working on our mindgames?

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Uh, for advanced techniques like SHFFL, WD, WL, etc. I usually do Training. FD for Wavedash, and DL for Waveland. For tech, I just play lvl 9 cpu's.

D

Deleted member

Afraid there is no way to practice mindgames unless you're playing someone... the only advice is to always be unpredictable... when you realize you're doing the same thing (Say SHFFLed Nair to JC Grab), change... make sure your technical skill is flawless (or as close to it as you can get) and so that you don't have to think about it...

sexysanta73

Smash Apprentice
Best thing to do is to practice combos on lvl. 1 CPUs or even training mode enemies set to evade. Like the above poster said though, there's no effective way to develop some mindgames without a human player to play against. Just curious, why are you so focused on practicing and such if you don't have anyone to play against? x_X

sexysanta73

Smash Apprentice
Fighting lvl. 9's is NOT a good idea.

Their DI and attack patterns almost never change, which is a bad thing when you play against a real person, expect the CPU tactics, then get ***** when you predict wrong.

wwkd

Smash Rookie
i c. what would be a better way to train then. i do see myself somtimes expecting cpu moves when playing humans then being wrong. but what would be a better way??

sexysanta73

Smash Apprentice
Well, the best thing would obviously be training against a human player, but if you can't regularly get together with one, then like I said before, the next best thing would be to practice against lvl. 1's. Try facing different characters to see what combos work with whom. Lvl. 1s are infinitely better than 9's because they don't attack, so you won't be expecting anything like you would with 9's. Iirc, they also have an inconsistant DI, which means even less premade predictions than before. But if that's too boring for you, and I can somewhat see why you'd think that, then even lvl 8's are better than 9's.

Hope this helps.

Press22

Smash Journeyman
idk, i train on computer lv 8's when i don't have anybody and i beast at the tourney's (sometimes, depends on who lol, but im even with most) but yeah, i dunno if theres a move you gotta learn then i usually do it in practice mode.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Levels 1-6 are the best for practicing on. NOTE: NEVER PRACTICE GENERAL GAMEPLAY ON CPUS OF ANY LEVEL. pick a specific combo you're working on, and try each part on levels 1-6. They all have different DI patterns that will help you to perfect your comboing. above that, they DI everything upwards.

mukoe890

Smash Apprentice
what ive been doing lately is the lvl. 5's. it is A LOT better than 9's because they fight too much like robots. if you are really trying to nail a combo or speed it up i definately recomment the 5's

chansen

Smash Lord
I've always practiced that have the hardest skill to accomplish, practice shffl'ing with the ice climbers, after you can do that your unstoppable. practive WDing with falcon or someone heavy. Whether or not anyone believes me (most of you wont) play a couple games as yoshi every now and again, he improved my game to pro-am status in like a week.

mukoe890

Smash Apprentice
play a couple games as yoshi every now and again, he improved my game to pro-am status in like a week.

yea my overall tech skill boosted when i started playing as him. now i love the lil guy. people don't realize his potential yet. i heard Fumi beat Ken with her yoshi
even so. he will be twice the beast with the TRIPLE JUMP in brawl:cool:

Gea

Smash Master
Playing all characters can get you to actually L cancel by timing and not just mechanical reflex, which is a bad idea. However, you'll never perfect spacing with one character when you play 20.

Dead Sexy Vocab

Smash Journeyman
You all are great contributors to this thread; thanks for the helpful tips.

I've just started to practice SHFFLing with all characters, trying to broaden that part...

One question: How do each of you do your Aeirial Attacks? Do you use A, or utilize the C-Stick for that matter? Personally, I press the A button for Nairs, and the rest with the C-Stick.

... well, I started to do that recently. Though it's starting to help me.

D

Deleted member

A for Nair and Uair, sometimes Bair
C stick for some Fairs (Mostly when jumping backwards), Bair

I don't use C stick as much as I'd like to...

Binx

Smash Master
I use c stick most of the time, I have been using a for uairs which I probably should not be doing but it feels confortable for me. As far as practice I like to practice tech against level 1-5s mostly 1 and 3 though, and for mindgames you need to play a variety of different people, I would say that is almost as important as playing a good person, you will learn to expect more than one thing by playing lots of people you will also find habits that most smashers have in common. Try mixing up playing different skill levels of humans.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
The C-stick usage is dependent on how your moving, if your jumping forward and want to do a bair, use the c stick, if your jumping forward and trying to do a fair, use A, C-stick for Uairs usually isnt great unless your doing short hop Uairs, and i also use c stick for Dair too, hope this helped.

HalfPj

Smash Cadet
I keep practicing doing the wavedash, L-canceling, wavelanding, and ledgeguard with Mario and Dr. Mario. It would be better to go find someone to train with. But at least you learn how to do these kinds of techniques first. I play the cpu's lvl 9.

vincentninja68

Smash Apprentice
I prefer going to training mode and practice edge guarding on standing computers. While it's not a good idea to get too comfortable with the way they keep returning, at least you can understand the timing and know when to attack. I try my best to avoid fighting computers, it creates bad habits.

Top Bottom