• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help on approaching Ganondorf.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
One matchup I'm really bad at is Luigi vs Ganondorf. Mainly I get owned when I'm trying to get near enough to get a hit in, as Ganon can create a wall of fairs that seems to beat any of my approaches.

How I see it, Luigi's priority is straight in front of him and medium height (ftilt), straight in front of him and low (downsmash), or straight above him (upsmash/uptilt). This is fine vs most characters, but ganondorfs like to shffl fairs, and those fairs create a hitbox that comes diagonally downwards from above, which is a gap in the zones I mentioned. Shielding doesn't help at all because you can't retaliate from it due to the hitstun and sliding.

Does anyone have any advice for this, besides just "play smart"? =\ I know I need to improve that in general, but specific advice would help. Thanks.

coolhat

Smash Journeyman
take my advice seriously because i play a good ganon at most tourneys.

one, dont approach ganon. and if u do, its gonna be a tornado. if the ganon is good, any other approach he can stop with a quick shffld fair to jab or some gay **** like that.

One he approachs u, heres what u do. Spot dodge. Honestly. No hit stun, and u can just tornado or down smash out of it. Trust me it works.

Plus once u got a tornado or downsmash on him comboes are easy.

EazyP

Smash Ace
Don't let your shield get broken, he has huge knockback so you gotta keep the tornado tech chases going (you can also tech chase with ftilts if you're fast enough). Try and start combos up with nair if he's nearby, and for the love of god, realize that if he approaches you with fair, he's going to l cancel it and follow up with a jab

Use ftilt for spacing, can't stress it enough. Mix in wavedashes to jabs into other attacks. Once you get him off the stage you're at a really good advantage, so keep him off and under, if you're feeling cocky you can edgegaurd him with the missle or you can go for a taunt kill

Wako

Smash Cadet
Ugh. Ganondorf.
I pretty much try to nair into utilts then run away and hide. Usually the Ganon makes a punishable mistake.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Wavetilting (F-tilt or U-tilt) is probably Luigi's safest approach, but you still have to space it well.

Aerials can work, but I've played against Ganons that can D-air out of shield between two aerials. If you find yourself getting hit by that, stop doing it, and also consider using U-air instead of N-air for your second aerial.

Use the tornado ONLY for tech chasing! Don't tornado Ganon when he's not open, it's way too easy to punish unless you put a lot of distance between the two of you.

This goes without saying, but if he's shielding a lot, GRAB! Jab -> grab works well too.

TheZeroFaReal

Smash Apprentice
Luigi vs Gannon is harder for me than Luigi vs Marth but that's because I find Marth's easy. I hate this match up because my jab grabs usually end up be getting flung to to other side with the Gannon's Jabs. Basically what I abuse the most is that Gannon is really slow after each shffl regardless if shffl'd so mindgame with your WD's and land all those consecutive hits as much as you can. You have to love the fact that Gannondorf is Taunt Spikeable. I suggest Corneria against Gannon for counterpicking. For those who love to come down with the Down B Watch yourself because lag time = Fist in your face. Grab Up Throw Up Tilt Wave Lands Forward Tilts. Ever since the ROFL Combo Vid I've just non stop Naired to Up-B so I land that a lot to.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Spacing is key in this match up. I wouldn't suggest as much double arial approaches due to Ganon's fair can beat yours if spaced properly. You have to be patient in this matchup and wait for the oppurtunity to strike since Ganon has lots of range.

I find that I like grabbing (and jab to grabs) most in this matchup. It leads to so much and Ganons' seem to shield when you are inside their space. Ftilts are not that bad either for approaches but sometimes the miss if the Ganon is going for an fair. ;_; Usually, I would suggest not approaching and just look like you are approaching until you can punish a mistake of theirs. Grabs and dsmashes seem to be the best punishments as they lead to lots of combos oppurtunities.

Gbus

Smash Cadet
while vsing ganon i pretty much try to keep him in the air. he is a big target so its not that difficult.

For approching, i'd have to say Tornado or wavedashing with a fire ball followed by a grab/throw combo.

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
have u tried to just WD, jump and dodge diagonally downstairs to gannondorfs direction like a WD, but to have a dodge air timed, or maybe just roll to his back, thats at least what i tried..

Top Bottom