• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help me improve my Puff please!

Uberlord

Smash Rookie
I main puff, and I consider myself pretty decent. However, sometimes, I run into people in For Glory that utterly destroy me... Could any Puff pros give me a few pointers on how to improve my game? I've uploaded a few of my battles on Youtube.

Versus King Dedede
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIl5F_UJrnM

Versus Luigi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMAeJ93_woY

Versus Wario
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQToQOJEj80

Versus Yoshi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-LXIcpcKFY

Any tips would be appreciated, and I'm also looking for people to add to my Friend List that would like to practice with me, preferably people that are better than me. FC 1736-0439-8933

Thanks!

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
Instantly noticed you were really aggressive and attacked nearly every time you approached. Not only is this unsafe to begin with, it's really predictable. The DDD could have easily shieldgrab->fair almost everything you used.

For DDD in particular you often landed near him, which is prime time for him to hit you. You often got hit by Gordos because you were too busy weaving in place to space hits on the Gordo. If you just waited and let him spam Gordos it would be easier to reflect, and if you keep reflecting them they're more inclined to approach, which is when you want to start weaving.

Luigi just used a fireball, waited for you to either get hit or use an unsafe attack and then punished. He only got antsy when going for the kill. You got really lucky with the roll spacing for that Rest. Using Pound to whittle the shield (which he used a lot) was good, but he caught on and capitalized. If you notice lots of shield, especially after rolls, grabs are always an option.

You did alright against the Yoshi, they were just good. You really shouldn't have won that game though. You got caught rolling a few times, and you could have escaped that juggle string by recovering off-stage instead of coming straight down. Sing was a bad move every time you used it. Your attempts to run away and survive did nothing but airdodge, when I think you should have thrown in bairs to keep him away instead.

Uberlord

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the tips Drake

You are right, I'm really aggressive when I play as Puff, which may not be such a great idea since I get KO'd so easy.

I'll try grabbing more often like you said, but when I'm in the air, which I usually am, if I take the time to land, then to use grab, I feel like I could easily get punished for it, so I'm usually kinda scared to land then grab. The rolling rest wasn't luck though, whenever I see that the spacing is perfect for it, I roll in for the kill.

For the Yoshi, you're right, Sing really is a bad move. I only won that one because he didn't realize I could rest out of eggs. When Sing works, its great, but I dont think I'm using it right.

You seem to know your way around a Puff, would you mind adding my FC to help me improve? The Wario that I fought in the link above, I think he beat be around 20-30 times without me ever winning even once... then he left due to boredom probably

Last edited:

Jebron_Lames

Smash Rookie
Hijacking this thread but how do you deal with projectile spam mainly from Link and some Samus? I always get caught by the bommerang for Link, if I try to rush in he just dodges/rolls to the other side of the field and starts spamming again and then keeps going for the dash attack when my % gets high. Also against Link I seem to lose a lot in the air with his sword always hitting me before I can bair or fair him

Uberlord

Smash Rookie
Its an annoying match up yea, but all I can say is dodge projectiles and look for openings. Don't use air dodge if you can, just dodge by jumping the appropriate height in order to evade the projectile and punish the shooter. Get them before they can use their A attacks.

Top Bottom