• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help: Main long-distance training partner constantly johns over online lag/buffering...

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
So I posted this on the Reddit as well but I'm x-posting here as well to try and soak up some advice on the situation. I appreciate any advice you have to give.

We only live about 2 hours from each other but as we both have jobs it's not often we can go to each other's house for local play. With that short of a distance, at least from my perspective, the lag is nigh non-existent. Of course you can slightly feel that extremely small window of delay but it's ignorable after a few seconds of movement.

Here are some of the things I hear in almost every match, and it's starting to get annoying, I was hoping you guys could give me some advice in what to say or how to help him...figure his **** out because it's becoming a task to deal with.

- "It just doesn't do anything when I want it to"

- "Obviously I didn't mean to do that (X ability or move) twice"

- "Why am I facing the wrong way"

- "You really think I would have used that (X ability or move) right there?"

And for me, the worst one:

- "It's perfectly fine offline"

So this is constant in almost every match and as you can imagine it's irritating.

I get that the buffering is an adjustment. I also get that the slight delay takes getting used to (I'm in Elite at 2.7 mil GSP so I've done a lot of online matching and arenas too). However we've done hundreds of stocks against each other at this point and it does seem to me he is playing like poop and does weird things, that maybe he wouldn't normally do? We both use GC controllers.

Here's a few of the things I've said to him that have not helped...

- "We both deal with the same delay and buffering, and we both use the same controller"

- "Don't mash, be precise with your inputs"

Beyond this I just don't know what I can do to "fix" his issue or get him to adapt or stop complaining. We've always been neck and neck in previous smash games, but so far in this game he's been a pretty lacking training partner, according to him due solely to the supposedly crippling buffering and online lag...but as I said when we play I barely notice anything...he seems absolutely *convinced* that there is some functional/technical issue going on, and I'm starting to resent the attitude because I just see it as him playing like trash which is TBH uncharacteristic of him...but it is a "new game" after all.

Any advice for how to deal with this... :/?

Syprone

Smash Cadet
Tell him to get a LAN Adapter. If this doesn’t help him, he’ll probably realize that it’s him, not the lag.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
So I posted this on the Reddit as well but I'm x-posting here as well to try and soak up some advice on the situation. I appreciate any advice you have to give.

We only live about 2 hours from each other but as we both have jobs it's not often we can go to each other's house for local play. With that short of a distance, at least from my perspective, the lag is nigh non-existent. Of course you can slightly feel that extremely small window of delay but it's ignorable after a few seconds of movement.

Here are some of the things I hear in almost every match, and it's starting to get annoying, I was hoping you guys could give me some advice in what to say or how to help him...figure his **** out because it's becoming a task to deal with.

- "It just doesn't do anything when I want it to"

- "Obviously I didn't mean to do that (X ability or move) twice"

- "Why am I facing the wrong way"

- "You really think I would have used that (X ability or move) right there?"

And for me, the worst one:

- "It's perfectly fine offline"

So this is constant in almost every match and as you can imagine it's irritating.

I get that the buffering is an adjustment. I also get that the slight delay takes getting used to (I'm in Elite at 2.7 mil GSP so I've done a lot of online matching and arenas too). However we've done hundreds of stocks against each other at this point and it does seem to me he is playing like poop and does weird things, that maybe he wouldn't normally do? We both use GC controllers.

Here's a few of the things I've said to him that have not helped...

- "We both deal with the same delay and buffering, and we both use the same controller"

- "Don't mash, be precise with your inputs"

Beyond this I just don't know what I can do to "fix" his issue or get him to adapt or stop complaining. We've always been neck and neck in previous smash games, but so far in this game he's been a pretty lacking training partner, according to him due solely to the supposedly crippling buffering and online lag...but as I said when we play I barely notice anything...he seems absolutely *convinced* that there is some functional/technical issue going on, and I'm starting to resent the attitude because I just see it as him playing like trash which is TBH uncharacteristic of him...but it is a "new game" after all.

Any advice for how to deal with this... :/?
You might have to let him go if he keeps this up. Perhaps what he's experiencing is legitimate, but if he's incessantly complaining and he's not going to do anything to adjust his attitude, he might not be worth sparring with. Back in SSB4, I played against someone I met on Anther's Ladder. We couldn't play because Nintendo was doing something with the online stuff. For Glory was still available. Maybe days passed and we finally were able to play friendlies. He didn't like that I used Charge Shot a lot with my main. When the match was close and I could have won, I said, "That was close." He proceeded to bring up my use of Charge Shot again. A Villager who could just use Pocket was complaining about my Samus. I decided to just leave after telling him I was done. There are certain people who aren't worth your time, and if you've given them chances and they've failed to change, it's on them. They have their own personal baggage to deal with.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
If he’s bringing a negative attitude to your session instead of pushing to get better he’s not going to help you improve. Even if he’s worse than you at the game as long as he’s pushing himself and you’re trading feedback you can still get something out of that but if he’s making excuses it’s kinda useless to play him

FTL Guy

Smash Rookie
There are people like him and myself who just cannot tolerate such lag. If he can’t tolerate it, then he needs to move on and just say he doesn’t want to play online anymore. or he can accept it and move forward with it in mind. It sounds like he uses it to blame poor performance, but at the same time, if he is only used to offline play, it’s going to be a negative experience for him, even though you are used to it. But. constantly complaining doesn’t do anything either.I myself have learned to accept it. It isn’t going away just because I don’t like it.

Top Bottom