• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help for a Recent Tournament

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
Hey, I might be participating in my first tournament in 2 weeks time (yay :)) but I'm not quite sure how to approach it being Ganon and all. What does a tournament ganon do? I have only two mains, being Link and Ganon (Link isnt too good) so I practically have to use Ganon. I'm **** with the top tiers too.

So what I'm saying is, how should I go about fighting the top tiers?

And also, do I have any chance of winning said tournament? (link to my video thread below)

Finally, what is needed to do well in a tournament with Ganon in general?

I would appreciate it if you would all help me :chuckle:

Link to my video thread (Don't bother looking at the first one vsing Fox, thats an old video)

Linguini

Smash Master
Alright, well
1.Top tiers can be tricky with ganon you just have to know how to space well and most importantly when you get a precious grab on them , know how to lead out of it efectively.
(watch ganon vids for examples.)
2.Most likely not, I dont know how the competition is in Australia but you WILL probably get owned in your first tournament.Over time, eventually with more tourney experience you will get better.
3. With ganon to do good in a tournament you have to be able to adapt and learn the other players style, try to identify patterns and punish them for it.
Hopefully this helps.

Bullfrog

Smash Journeyman
Well, most tournaments are 2 out of 3 matches, so if you have any feel the Ganon isn't doing it for you, go ahead and use Link.

NightStorm

Smash Rookie
I can give you some good tips for tournaments and otherwise.

1. don't limit yourself to just two characters. especially with the high level of playing at tournaments you'll probably need to counter-pick. if you can only use two character it will substantially lower your odds of being able to counter-pick.

2. don't get too worked up or excited, try to be as calm as possible and it will help your game.

3. watch tons of ganon and link vids to see how they play against certain characters and try to incorporate that into your own game. this will help you play better against the different characters, even the top tier ones.

4. read the guides and the matchups for your characters and learn how to beat your opponents know matter what character they use. sometimes you will be countered by a certain character, so you should switch. this knowledge will help you choose what character is best for the right situation.

5. practice practice practice =]

The Dark Lord Ganondorf

Smash Apprentice
Its not usually a good idea to compete in a tourney while only playing one charcater. Ganondorf is at a huge disadvantage vs. space animals and sheik, you'll need to have a character on standby who is better equiped to play those characters.
Other than that, just practise practise practise. And dont be too disheartened when/if you lose.

ximrekcuf

Smash Apprentice
Yah you should probably use more than 1 character. Sometimes people just know how to play vs certain character for example they may be able to play with the best of ganons however be terrible agaisnt say doc or peach. It happens sometimes. Variety cant hurt you.

alcheato

Smash Ace
Since it's your first tournament, don't go in expecting to win, just go in expecting to learn and get better. In my experience I've found that regardless of tiers or bad match ups, you're better off using the characters you're most comfortable with. Link and Ganon are both rather slow characters that can be chain-grabbed to hell and back so watch when you attack and shield-grab plenty. I also noticed that you just kept running into the Marth player's attacks and you were attacking blindly even when you didn't have openings, which left you open for some easy hits. Try to work on your spacing and on not being baited into attacking since it can be punished more easilly on characters like Ganon and Link. Good luck.

Linguini

Smash Master
I recommend that you should not, I repeat do not play any other characters except for your main w(which im assuming is ganon) for your first few tournaments. This will improve your ganon tons and will help you decide if you want to stay with him.

Top Bottom