• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Finding My First Main

wf858

Smash Rookie
Hi, I got Smash 4 at launch on the Wii U and I enjoy it greatly but I don't like the slower pace so I'm going to get into Project M. I have one problem though: I'm not sure who I should main. I want mainly two things from a character so I can get into the game. First, I would prefer a character who can be played aggressively. Also, I'd like a character who doesn't require a lot of tech skills. I tried to learn Perfect Pivoting in Smash 4 but I'm quite inconsistent at it; which means I won't become technical without a ton of practice. So basically I want a character who is fast paced but doesn't need a large amount of tech skill. Thank you.

un.dead

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Project M code ⬆
3DS FC
0650-2459-4046
(:falcon::marth::sheik::metaknight:) quickly come to mind. But everyone is fast in some way or another, so at least give everyone a try.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Pray to Captain Kneesus and you will find salvation

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
if you like hype be falcon
if you dont like hype be falcon
if you like projectiles be falcon
if you like swords be falcon
if you like moving in slow motion be falcon
if you like fire breath be falcon
if you like cars be falcon
if you like lil boys be falcon
if you like falcon be falcon
if you like peach be falcon
if you like video games be falcon
if you like me be falcon
be falcon

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
(:falcon::marth::sheik::metaknight:) quickly come to mind. (:sonic::lucas::lucario::wolf::squirtle::pikachu2::zerosuitsamus:) are pretty quick, but aren't too demanding compared to someone like Melee :foxmelee: or :yoshimelee:. Everyone is fast in some way or another though, so at least give everyone a try.
>non-technical
>wolf, lucario, lucas, and squirtle

wtf

But yeah OP you sound like you'd like Captain Falcon or Meta Knight.

Last edited:

un.dead

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Project M code ⬆
3DS FC
0650-2459-4046
I've been trying to find a PM main myself, by watching videos and experiementing. I've learned all these character's fighting styles, and AT's. Even Wolf and Lucario, they demand slightly advanced tech skill, but they're not that technical compared to :foxmelee: or :yoshimelee:.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I've been trying to find a PM main myself, by watching videos and experiementing. I've learned all these character's fighting styles, and AT's. Even Wolf and Lucario, they demand slightly advanced tech skill, but they're not that technical compared to :foxmelee: or :yoshimelee:.
Lucario is not really about tech skill and you don't need much of it to be successful. He is about reacting to Di. Wolf is just as technical as fox. Set yourself straight.

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
Fox and Wolf have like the exact same tech, Fox just does it faster; they both have the same staple spacie tech. JC shine, shine pressure, shine turnaround etc. which all expand into a plethora of other tech. Then there's tech specific to Wolf like blaster wavelands, Side-B shenanigans.

And with Lucario, he's gotta press a lot of buttons in a short amount of time and requires a good amount of precision with everything he does (but that goes for most characters regardless) He requires less inputs than say Falcon.

Again, OP, look into Falcon and Meta Knight.

Last edited:

un.dead

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Project M code ⬆
3DS FC
0650-2459-4046
Let me just explain in detail so there's no confusion this time. OP was hoping to find an aggressive, fast paced character. So I suggested everyone who, from what I've seen and experienced, you can get pretty far with, without being too technical of a player. Maybe someday OP will feel like the character he picked just doesn't suit him. To me, they didn't make satisfying mains, therefore I didn't only suggest Falcon and Meta Knight.

">non-technical
>wolf, lucario, lucas, and squirtle
wtf"
I said that they're less demanding than :foxmelee:&:yoshimelee: in Melee.

"Set yourself straight."
Said the kid who doesn't even realize he's arguing on two people's sides at once. I admit I should've articulated better in the first place, but to be honest you guys don't sound like you're trying to do much helping. If I knew people were going to respond like this simply over someone's video game advice, I wouldn't have posted. The PMS is real.

Last edited:

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
1. OP didn't ask to go that far down the road into super hypotheticals; he just wanted an aggressive, fast paced character to decide on as a main, and the only bad characters in PM are Olimar and Ice Climbers.

2. Yeah, those characters are less demanding than Melee Fox and Yoshi, but they're still pretty ****in' technical compared to someone like Falcon or Jiggs, for example. Just because Wolf isn't "as technical" as Melee Fox or Yoshi doesn't mean he's not very technical in general, which he is, compared to most of the cast.

There's nothing wrong with giving advice unless you're giving ignorant 'advice', which is what you're doing; I understand you wanted to help, though.

un.dead

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Project M code ⬆
3DS FC
0650-2459-4046
True, he didn't ask to go that far down the road, but I figured that if I was the one asking, I'd appreciate the extra suggestions. As you saw, they were mentioned in their own category, separate from the 4 at the beginning of the post [for a reason].

I know how those characters have massive potential compared to most of the others. But I basically just said, that I mentioned them because they can get away with the player not being very technical. I haven't articulated very well, but I just admitted that, so at least try to see what I'm talking about. It's not ignorant to recommend any of those characters if you know how young the metagame is and how poorly people typically play (even tops).

Last edited:

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
I'd say their tech is what allows those characters to be so powerful, especially spacies (like Wolf) where their shine tech is the most central part of their game, just like how aura cancels are a central part of Lucario's game, or turnaround shell wavehydropivot whatever the hell the Squirtles call their tech; it allows them to unlock their true potential as a character. No one gets far with a half-assed Wolf that can barely JC shine.

Last edited:

un.dead

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Project M code ⬆
3DS FC
0650-2459-4046
Ok lol.

Edit: I love how you imply that their tech is even hard. Like for a Squirtle to attack out of aqua jet or use his Brawl techs [I learned all in under an hour]. Or for a Lucario to cancel his hits. Or for a Wolf to JC his shine with stuff. I'm pretty technical, and I struggle more with a perfect L-cancel rate [for hits] than any of those.

"No one gets far with a half-***** Wolf that can barely JC shine." No **** sherlock. No one gets far with a half-assed anything. But ask yourself this. Do you honestly believe that someone like OP even intends to "get far" when he doesn't even want to put in much tech skill practice? Though he should be using them, Wolf is still an excellent character in PM even without his techs. The same goes for the others that I specifically mentioned.

Last edited:
Top Bottom