• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Finding a Main

Shastalol

Smash Rookie
Hey,

I'm relatively new to competitive smash and am hung up on who to main. I really like all of the top tier characters, but i cant decide on which one to stick with. I have tried Sheik, Puff, and Falco seriously as mains, but i feel like there are always better options. Have any of you had this problem too? Also, don't tell me to just play fox lmao, I need one that is good for beginners.

Thanks guys!

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
The best top tier for beginners in my opinion comes down to :marthmelee:. He requires mastery of spacing, good use of combos, and overall good fundamentals to play at a substantial level. He has very few advanced techniques you have to learn (no multi-shining or desyncing), one of the best grab games in the game, and some very good moves. I play him myself. He overall requires you to know a little bit of everything, and from him you can branch off and second / main any top tier as if you've mastered Marth you have good enough fundamentals, mental game, and tech skill to play other characters.

And don't walk forward and Fsmash plz.

Shastalol

Smash Rookie
The best top tier for beginners in my opinion comes down to :marthmelee:. He requires mastery of spacing, good use of combos, and overall good fundamentals to play at a substantial level. He has very few advanced techniques you have to learn (no multi-shining or desyncing), one of the best grab games in the game, and some very good moves. I play him myself. He overall requires you to know a little bit of everything, and from him you can branch off and second / main any top tier as if you've mastered Marth you have good enough fundamentals, mental game, and tech skill to play other characters.

And don't walk forward and Fsmash plz.
This is what i was thinking. I really like Marth, but kinda suck at him, so i'd really have to work to be a good Marth. I can defiantly learn it and the hustle is part of the fun. Thanks for the suggestion!

Also, would Jiggs be alright to start out with? I really like jigglypuff and i would have a lot of fun with her.

Last edited:

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
This is what i was thinking. I really like Marth, but kinda suck at him, so i'd really have to work to be a good Marth. I can defiantly learn it and the hustle is part of the fun. Thanks for the suggestion!

Also, would Jiggs be alright to start out with? I really like jigglypuff and i would have a lot of fun with her.
If you can bair twice in a row, you are already one of the top jigglypuff players in the world. Jk lolm2k

Jiggs is alright for learning the tech side of the game (chasing, not technicals), and marth has a great wd so you can use him to figure out the advantages of a good wavedash read or bait.

Shastalol

Smash Rookie
If you can bair twice in a row, you are already one of the top jigglypuff players in the world. Jk lolm2k

Jiggs is alright for learning the tech side of the game (chasing, not technicals), and marth has a great wd so you can use him to figure out the advantages of a good wavedash read or bait.
Yeah, i really like Marth but at the same time i want to have fun with the game and not just play to win (if you know what i mean). At this point, i'm not playing competitively, just trying to get good enough to kick the **** out of my friends on the weekends and maybe impress them. I already know some of the techniques like L-cancelling and wavedashing, i'm just not consistent enough to be good. Oh well, i'll get there someday

Im thinking about going to The Big House in October and learning a lot there. i'm sure that will be a ton of fun

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
Yeah, i really like Marth but at the same time i want to have fun with the game and not just play to win (if you know what i mean). At this point, i'm not playing competitively, just trying to get good enough to kick the **** out of my friends on the weekends and maybe impress them. I already know some of the techniques like L-cancelling and wavedashing, i'm just not consistent enough to be good. Oh well, i'll get there someday

Im thinking about going to The Big House in October and learning a lot there. i'm sure that will be a ton of fun
Trust me you'll definitely enjoy it. I go to weeklies and do well enough to give some advice. If you decide to keep puff, take TONS of advantage of your aerial mobility. Shorthop into a rest from a tech read and edgeguarding are just the beginning. The most I can tell you is that whenever you play and whoever you play as, just... feel it. It'll take you places and keep your experience both fresh and fun.

JFB (JurgaBurgaFlintines)

Smash Apprentice
Hey,

I'm relatively new to competitive smash and am hung up on who to main. I really like all of the top tier characters, but i cant decide on which one to stick with. I have tried Sheik, Puff, and Falco seriously as mains, but i feel like there are always better options. Have any of you had this problem too? Also, don't tell me to just play fox lmao, I need one that is good for beginners.

Thanks guys!

I know that this isn't a popular opinion and other people will tell you not to do this, put play whichever character you want. From what I see, it seems that you are not taking this game super serious, which is fine. Sure, playing someone like Mario, Young Link or Pikachu is going to be super hard, but if you pull of some great combo or beat a friend with a mid-low tier, then that would be pretty hype.

If you decide to take Melee more seriously in the future, then you can switch to a top tier if you want to get better results and beat better players. Just experiment with what character "feels right" with you and stick to that. Just my take on this situation.

Last edited:

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
I know that this isn't a popular opinion and other people will tell you not to do this, put play whichever character you want. From what I see, it seems that you are not taking this game super serious, which is fine. Sure, playing someone like Mario, Young Link or Pikachu is going to be super hard, but if you pull of some great combo or beat a friend with a mid-low tier, then that would be pretty hype.

If you decide to take Melee more seriously in the future, then you can switch to a top tier if you want to get better results and beat better players. Just experiment with what character "feels right" with you and stick to that. Just my take on this situation.
This is basically the reason as to why Ganon is my main, yet I'm familiar with the top-tiers.

Shastalol

Smash Rookie

I want to take the game seriously, I just am not feeling some of the top tiers as you and the other guy said. I really like puff and sheik, but i hear that they are really cheap and i don't want to be hated for playing them. I also want to get some techniques down like wave-dashing and L-Cancelling consistently before i even THINK about playing seriously. I'm also thinking about falco, but i really hate fox and falco players and dont want to become one of them. Face of /b/ Face of /b/

Last edited:

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
Shastalol Shastalol I just remembered the easiest way of helping you out. What kind of person are you? You can go into decent detail, it's not like we know you irl. I swear though, if you go into fetish zone... I will unwatch this thread. I will approve of absolute territory, though.

Edit: Try Pichu for a bit. You could be the child o' prophecy we have been awaiting for eons.

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
If you can shrug off the hate, play the character. If you're sensitive, don't. Marth seems to be a relatively liked character, as is Falcon. Falco and Fox require lots of technical demand, so save up money for doctors appointments (s/o to hax$ and kdj.)

And as far as AT's are concerned, try some basic drills. I used to do perfect wavedashes across the stage or L-Cancel 10 times and if I missed add an extra 2 and stuff like that. Here are some things to help you with ATs

Wavedash during dash dances to variate movement.
Run Up Shield WD back Fsmash
L Cancel Bowser's Bair both on and off characters.
L Cancel Falcon's Stomp both on and off.
Etc.

Shastalol

Smash Rookie
StaffofSmashing StaffofSmashing Face of /b/ Face of /b/ Ive decided to go with falcon. For the past 3 days ive been playing him and really enjoying it. I almost have short-hop back-air fast-fall L-cancel down to a science lol. I need to work on the L cancel stomp though. Thanks for all the help you two have been giving me for the past few days, especially Face of /b/ Face of /b/ Who helped me out here multiple times. I've messed with young link before Face of /b/ Face of /b/ , so maybe i should mess with Pichu as well lmao

Edit: Also, if i played falcon in PM, would it mess up my Melee falcon? I like falcon a lot.

Last edited:

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
StaffofSmashing StaffofSmashing Face of /b/ Face of /b/ Ive decided to go with falcon. For the past 3 days ive been playing him and really enjoying it. I almost have short-hop back-air fast-fall L-cancel down to a science lol. I need to work on the L cancel stomp though. Thanks for all the help you two have been giving me for the past few days, especially Face of /b/ Face of /b/ Who helped me out here multiple times. I've messed with young link before Face of /b/ Face of /b/ , so maybe i should mess with Pichu as well lmao

Edit: Also, if i played falcon in PM, would it mess up my Melee falcon? I like falcon a lot.
The only thing I know about PM Falcon is that the knee is really easy to land compared to melee, so that might make you throw it out more. I'm glad I could help, it's always a pleasure to help out a member of the community when I can.

Last edited:

Synnett

Alligator Lord
I suggest you pick up Marth and learn the fundamentals, then you will be able to switch to a more fitting character. I feel like everyone is in a urge to find their mains but don't learn how to play in the meantime. They get discouraged and leave. ;_;

But yea, find your prefered mindset and jump into it. I hate easy wins so I couldn't just pick Falcon lol.

Shastalol

Smash Rookie
I suggest you pick up Marth and learn the fundamentals, then you will be able to switch to a more fitting character. I feel like everyone is in a urge to find their mains but don't learn how to play in the meantime. They get discouraged and leave. ;_;

But yea, find your prefered mindset and jump into it. I hate easy wins so I couldn't just pick Falcon lol.
Yeah thats what ive been told. I have a lot of "fundamental" things down already with Falcon. I have L-cancelling and wavedashing/wavelanding down, i just need to be able to implement that into my play. I play with real people on the weekends so i can really test my progress then. thanks for the tip!
P.S. - Defiantly not discouraged, I love learning things like this, I also like to kick my friends asses and impress them

Shastalol

Smash Rookie
The only thing I know about PM Falcon is that the knee is really easy to land compared to melee, so that might make you throw it out more. I'm glad I could help, it's always a pleasure to help out a member of the community when I can.
Yeah I played PM falcon for like 30 mins and wasn't a big fan. I picked up Lucario and I cant stop playing him now, It's a lot of fun.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
When practicing the stomp l-cancel make sure you practice missed dairs and ones that connect too. The hitstun can really mess with your timing if you're not prepared for it.

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
Ivysaur is really fun to play in PM imo, you can do a lot of cool stuff with her (and yes, PM Ivysaur is female).

o0silentshadow0o

Smash Cadet

It seems that you have picked your main by now, but try and put what I have to say into consideration. Since you are new to competitive smash, I highly recommend to not play Captain Falcon as your starter, at least for now. Reason being is that Falcon will damage your gameplay, and will hinder you progress into improving in Melee. Now, what I am saying here only applies if you are even the slightest considering picking up a different characters in the future. If not, and you are set with Falcon for life, then ya, don't worry about it. But realistically I doubt that would be the case, and even if it were, competitively, Falcon is not that viable, which in cost won't be fun for you, when you realize this harsh truth.

Again this is all my opinion, but I believe one of the best characters for players who are new to competitive Melee, is Marth. Reason being, Marth just takes everything about Melee and just condenses it in one character lol. Marth helps you with Dash Dancing since his is soooo good, he helps to teach players how to fast-fall L-cancel out of aerials (since that is the only way to continue his combos), he helps players to learn hot to grab efficiently, he teaches how to space well, Marth forces you to learn how to combo, and if you can short hop with him easily, well guess what? That means you can short hop with any character, since him and a couple other characters have the least amount of frames to preform a short hop (3 frames) compared to the rest of the cast. And the're are so many other reasons why he is good to start with, so put Marth into great consideration.

Last edited:

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
It seems that you have picked your main by now, but try and put what I have to say into consideration. Since you are new to competitive smash, I highly recommend to not play Captain Falcon as your starter, at least for now. Reason being is that Falcon will damage your gameplay, and will hinder you progress into improving in Melee. Now, what I am saying here only applies if you are even the slightest considering picking up a different characters in the future. If not, and you are set with Falcon for life, then ya, don't worry about it. But realistically I doubt that would be the case, and even if it were, competitively, Falcon is not that viable, which in cost won't be fun for you, when you realize this harsh truth.

Again this is all my opinion, but I believe one of the best characters for players who are new to competitive Melee, is Marth. Reason being, Marth just takes everything about Melee and just condenses it in one character lol. Marth helps you with Dash Dancing since his is soooo good, he helps to teach players how to fast-fall L-cancel out of aerials (since that is the only way to continue his combos), he helps players to learn hot to grab efficiently, he teaches how to space well, Marth forces you to learn how to combo, and if you can short hop with him easily, well guess what? That means you can short hop with any character, since him and a couple other characters have the least amount of frames to preform a short hop (3 frames) compared to the rest of the cast. And the're are so many other reasons why he is good to start with, so put Marth into great consideration.
I'm sorry, but he does NOT teach how to grab well. Chain throw sure, but not grab. His range is so stupid for a non-tether grab that once you go to a different character, your chances of whiffing a grab go way up if you're too used to Marth's.

o0silentshadow0o

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry, but he does NOT teach how to grab well. Chain throw sure, but not grab. His range is so stupid for a non-tether grab that once you go to a different character, your chances of whiffing a grab go way up if you're too used to Marth's.
Wow, sounds like somebody has a personal issues with Marth lol. Alright, so the fact that Marth has a better grab is exactly what helps new players with grabbing. Since his grab can extend pretty well, it makes it easier for the player to land the grab, which in turn helps players understand when to grab and how to do it with out being punished. It's kinda like a "starter kit" towards learning the neutral lol. So when (or if) he moves on from Marth, he will have that meantality with him. Of course (just like anyone who changes characters) he would have to make adjustments towards his characters reach and what not, but that doesn't really matter, like I said it's his mentality that matters.

Last edited:

o0silentshadow0o

Smash Cadet
Yeah I played PM falcon for like 30 mins and wasn't a big fan. I picked up Lucario and I cant stop playing him now, It's a lot of fun.

Again, this is my opinion, but unless you want to play PM competitive, I would recommend not playing to much (even better not at all). One of the biggest things about competitive Melee is understanding the range, and hitstun each characters give on eachother; this should be known not only frame data wise, but by feel as well. And whenever I (as well as other players) play PM and go back to Melee, I find my self struggling, because everything is so different, the way from the speed of the game it self, to like I said the hitstun mechanics (not to mention the characters).

Again if you enjoy PM, go for it man, I am just sharing my views :).

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian

What you said about Marth's jump-squat frames is actually wrong. Marth has 4 frames, the same as Captain Falcon, Mario, Luigi, Dr. Mario, Game & Watch, Young Link, and Ness.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Jump#Super_Smash_Bros._Melee

Shastalol

Smash Rookie

I get your point and totally understand your opinion. Like I said, I really suck with all of the other characters. I know that i can learn to get better with them, but in my personal opinion if you aren't drawn to a character and enjoy playing as them right out the gate, you won't really have any chance getting better, or enjoying getting better. So basically I chose Falcon because i was immediately drawn to how he feels to me and enjoyed how i played him.

Also, about Falcon not being viable, I would have to respectfully disagree with you. A very recent example of a good Falcon player is Wizzrobe at Dreamhack in Austin last weekend, who placed 4th overall, only being beaten by Mango (he gave him a run for his money too)(also, I may be wrong about mango beating him). Also, S2J is definitely a top player in the world who plays Falcon.

Really, It all comes down to me having fun while still being competitive. I really suck with pretty much every other character and have fun and am decent with Falcon.

Shastalol

Smash Rookie
Again, this is my opinion, but unless you want to play PM competitive, I would recommend not playing to much (even better not at all). One of the biggest things about competitive Melee is understanding the range, and hitstun each characters give on eachother; this should be known not only frame data wise, but by feel as well. And whenever I (as well as other players) play PM and go back to Melee, I find my self struggling, because everything is so different, the way from the speed of the game it self, to like I said the hitstun mechanics (not to mention the characters).

Again if you enjoy PM, go for it man, I am just sharing my views :).
I play PM for fun. I am not thinking about playing PM seriously at all

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
Wait for SCAR to come back, dude. Falcon will have a reckoning. Personally, I find it hard to do anything as falcon besides stomp people once theyre offstage. That Ganon, though... mains will be mains. All the fun techy stuff makes me glad to be a Ganon main. I can turn him unto a pretty ice skater at will.

Last edited:

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
Face of /b/ Face of /b/ o0silentshadow0o o0silentshadow0o I really like Jigglypuff. I was just playing her and I have so much fun doing so. I am really hung up. Could I main both?
Yeah dude, in my opinion, it's good to have Jiggs and Falcon over just Falcon. They're both high tiers and user friendly (in my opinion, at least) and two comfy mains are better than one, The thing that's up to you now is if you will main one with the other as a secondary or if you will use them strictly as counterpicks.

o0silentshadow0o

Smash Cadet
Face of /b/ Face of /b/ o0silentshadow0o o0silentshadow0o I really like Jigglypuff. I was just playing her and I have so much fun doing so. I am really hung up. Could I main both?
This is a super late response xD, sorry about that. But if you feel happy with Falcon, then by all means go for it :). But I would suggest not to play 2 characters at once, since you are still learning. The best way is to stick with one character, and after a good amount a time has passed, then I would say try other characters. Take me for example, I stuck with only Sheik for my first 8 months of Melee, and that was great because I caught onto players who played much longer than me, and for a very long times beat me. But since I stuck with only Sheik, I understood her so well that I was able to beat them. Then after that I picked up Fox, 5 months later now I main both very comfortably.

Shastalol

Smash Rookie
This is a super late response xD, sorry about that. But if you feel happy with Falcon, then by all means go for it :). But I would suggest not to play 2 characters at once, since you are still learning. The best way is to stick with one character, and after a good amount a time has passed, then I would say try other characters. Take me for example, I stuck with only Sheik for my first 8 months of Melee, and that was great because I caught onto players who played much longer than me, and for a very long times beat me. But since I stuck with only Sheik, I understood her so well that I was able to beat them. Then after that I picked up Fox, 5 months later now I main both very comfortably.
Alright, I just dont want to be stuck with one character and i can transition easily between the play styles of Falcon and Jiggs (even though they are very different)

o0silentshadow0o

Smash Cadet
Okay :), well in that case you should try Fox as one of your transition. I am not saying that because of "20XX" lol, but rather the tech skill involved with him. Go at your passe, but try and get better with Fox's tech, and try to play him fast. Trust me, all of the sudden every other character will seem much easier to maneuver with.

Shastalol

Smash Rookie
Okay :), well in that case you should try Fox as one of your transition. I am not saying that because of "20XX" lol, but rather the tech skill involved with him. Go at your passe, but try and get better with Fox's tech, and try to play him fast. Trust me, all of the sudden every other character will seem much easier to maneuver with.
Yeah I have heard it all before, i just like being unique, and switching to fox is the most basic ***** move you can do in melee lmao. I understand the advice and that it will technically benifit me, but my own enjoyment in the game and in life (personal injuries from that tech skill) aren't worth it.

That's another thing with fox. I am young and i don't want to get injured this early in my life, and then have to deal with constant surgeries and the burden of what i do with my hands for the next, say, at least 50-60 years of my life.

captainmar

Smash Rookie
NNID
captainmar
I kind have hopped around a bit trying each character out, starting with luigi and mario/doc. I decided on falcon after seeing different VODs and I like to do flashy/hype moves. A thing one of my friends told me was to try and find a character that you can see yourself in.

HeavyLobster1120

Smash Cadet
Yeah I have heard it all before, i just like being unique, and switching to fox is the most basic ***** move you can do in melee lmao. I understand the advice and that it will technically benifit me, but my own enjoyment in the game and in life (personal injuries from that tech skill) aren't worth it.

That's another thing with fox. I am young and i don't want to get injured this early in my life, and then have to deal with constant surgeries and the burden of what i do with my hands for the next, say, at least 50-60 years of my life.
PLay Mario dude! He's not too advanced but still requires a lot of skill and he's got some cool combos!

Shastalol

Smash Rookie
Face of /b/ Face of /b/ BTW, I started playing fox just for ****s and giggles and now i really like him. I feel like saying that is blasphemy lmao. I can shine cancel really ****ily, but it still works
I can almost play every character relatively well. Its kind of odd.

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
As long as you stretch your hands well before playing, you should be fine. What happened to M2K only happened because he never stretched well. As long as you have fun, you're good. I play Fox because I have fun playing a super fast-paced match, but I also main Ganon because I enjoy the feeling of superiority when I outplay a better character.

Dark Byte

Smash Cadet
Face of /b/ Face of /b/ BTW, I started playing fox just for ****s and giggles and now i really like him. I feel like saying that is blasphemy lmao. I can shine cancel really ****ily, but it still works
I can almost play every character relatively well. Its kind of odd.
It's almost like people play fox because they love the character and they love melee and not to be "cheap".

Honestly playing him has improved my understanding of the game by leaps and bounds. I lost as doc for years, but now that I am able to play him in the context of knowing how to play fox and shiek proficiently, I am aware of doc's limitations. I could have never gotten good as him if I never played a high tier.

You're on the right track man. The more you master fox's options and techniques, you will go back to your other characters with a new understanding of the game.

Top Bottom