• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help against high level sonics?

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
So I went to X Smash 2 this weekend and I was feeling pretty good, I beat a lucario round 1 I 2-0'd him but both matches were really close. and then Round 2 comes and I have to play against 6WX who is easily the best sonic in the world. Against other sonics I had a bit of trouble but I could pull through however 6WX's Sonic felt omnipotent. It was like no mater what I did he had an answer for it, I was wondering if anybody here could give me advice on how I can beat what I would consider to be THE sonic?

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
I read those and they were good against mid to low level sonics but sonics like 6WX play so differently I didn't find anything in those threads that could help me

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Well, this is somewhat universal... but you really don't want to get too happy using Dair or Knee since they're super easy for Sonic to get a dash grab against on shield. I've been playing the matchup like Brawl and it's been working smoothly. Lots of Bair pokes since they cancel quickly on the ground and you can avoid getting grabbed; and Falcon's grab game is superb in this game. So abuse that a lot too.

Short hop Nair and Jabs are surprisingly good against his approaches in this game for god knows why.

I'm not sure if there's something in particular you're having trouble with though.

Lionman

Smash Champion
Avoid flat stages with no platafforms and pay attention about what moves are he doing, if you are not sure about what to do keep distance and wait for him, you need a lot of reflexes and a good mindset to bring down a good Sonic, there is no magical advice to face a pro player, just get better and practice with Sonic players, playing with the character you are facing can help because you can notice some of his weakness.

If you improve your shield game that would make the match up easier.

Last edited:

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Okay, I was playing against a Sonic earlier today after I posted this and jab literally beats out majority of the spindash shenanigans. Bair is the scariest option Sonic has unless you're stuck above him in the air or offstage.

The changes to Raptor Boost make it one of the worst options you could possibly do against Sonic, so avoid doing that. Play it safe with the short hop fastfall pressure and mix it up with grabs.

And never ever exceed shorthop height while Sonic is on the ground. lol

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
I was in the lab earlier and it seems that jab only beats side b spindash, down b spindash beats falcon's jab. also the initial frames of side b spin dash are invincible and side b spin dash can be immediately canceled into shield meaning sonic can be nigh invincible. I know how to deal with intermediate sonics as I previously stated but high levels sonics are going to be a problem for all falcon mains we're going to need a blueprint to help us out. I got to watch Max Ketchm (A.K.A Juice Doom) play against 6WX in Loser's Finals at X Smash 2, Max was on fire at X smash 2 and had he not had to face off against 6WX I think he would've beaten Dabuzz in grand finals, but even Max's falcon was overwhelmed by sonic. I don't want to believe that the match up is un-winnable at the highest level there has to be something we're not seeing.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
The changes to Raptor Boost make it one of the worst options you could possibly do against Sonic, so avoid doing that.
It's not an approach, it's a punisher. And it KOs at mid-to-high percents. Of course, you shouldn't do it recklessly, SPECIALLY against fast characters who can punish you easily.

you need a lot of reflexes and a good mindset to bring down a good Sonic, there is no magical advice to face a pro player, just get better and practice with Sonic players, playing with the character you are facing can help because you can notice some of his weakness.
Indeed! If possible, also try to play as Sonic once in a while, maybe you'll notice something you didn't while playing against him.

Top Bottom