• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help a noob with peach

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
ok i've read alot. tried alot but i still have questions. maybe i'll ask for some tips later and post a vid. anyway..... the djc can anyone do this consistently? 7/10 times im hitting the floor and not getting my smash. another question, can peach shffl??? is it worth anything or the float erases the need for a shffl. another question.. neutral air. it cant be performed on the c-stick correct? all the guides had me using the c-stick to do my aerial moves now i gotta use a or z im guessing? lastly if anyone has tips to short hop and connect combos. i can short hop once in a while, i watch combo vids but when i try em out. lets say a grab up. neutral air or uair. i miss, or smash to late. oh and the float cancel. can you control when you fall... or is it just waiting for the time of the float to expire before you smash.

sorry for the jumbled questions. i've got so much to learn. and i want to get better quickly. i've been playing wrong for a long time with pikachu. i get owned by a sheik friend who btw doesn't wave dash or short hop and stuff much. but they run dash me alot / juggle / smash up. so far i've picked up that i should chain grab on the dashes, and crouch cancel d-smash. anything else i should know or could do?

i

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
question, can peach shffl??? is it worth anything or the float erases the need for a shffl.
Yes, Peach can. 99% of the time, you'd probably be float cancelling instead.

another question.. neutral air. it cant be performed on the c-stick correct? all the guides had me using the c-stick to do my aerial moves now i gotta use a or z im guessing?
I heard once there was some really odd way to do it with the c-stick. I use A for all my aerial moves, unless I'm trying to do an aerial in the opposite direction of where i'm moving, such moving backwards and doing f-air. Just use A.

lastly if anyone has tips to short hop and connect combos. i can short hop once in a while, i watch combo vids but when i try em out. lets say a grab up. neutral air or uair. i miss, or smash to late.
Float cancel! If it's in a combo video, they are probably float cancelling, which allows you to do something else almost immediately. (which leads to combos) Get float cancelling down, then experiment.

oh and the float cancel. can you control when you fall... or is it just waiting for the time of the float to expire before you smash.
Let go of X (or whatever your "float button" is). If you did it correctly, you should be able to do something else really fast. (4 frames)

amished

Smash Cadet
1) Well, for the DJC, you just have to practice your timing so you can finish it right before you hit the ground.

2) Anyone can shffl, but you're right, float canceling normally is better. However, you probably won't be able to float cancel every time, so you will want to make sure you're good with L cancelling anyways. Also, if you use float cancelling every time, a good opponent will recognize it, so you might want to mix up your timing with shuffling anyways, though I'm not 100% on this. Probably should wait for someone with more experience to help you out there.

3) Right, you can't nair with the cstick. I normally use Z just because then my thumb isn't trying to do two things at once.

4) Timing "combos" will always be different, based on the other person's DI. You can get a close approximation by using training mode/ vs. mode with an unused controller plugged in and attack them so you can use the cstick.

5) To cancel the float before the time runs out, you can just let go of the jump button....

Also, I didn't think you could chain grab Sheik, but if you mean shield grab, yea, you should do that. I also like to use more defensive tactics and turnips since if they do practice, they'll be able to sh fairs, which are always deadly from a Sheik vs. anyone. Turnips are definately your friend in that matchup.

Anyways, good luck with the Peach, and hope this helped!
Ami

--edit-- kinda xposted with Rapid, take his advice way before mine....

CanISmash

Smash Lord
thanks. played with peach yesterday kicked a lot of *** considering its my first week or so with peach. i just have like a few more questions....

is peaches uair practically impossible because of a lack of reach., well marth in particular kept dair me when i tried after a juggle.

second i had a 1 v 1 with one stock a piece left, peach vs mario. i pulled out a stitch. this mario player kept desperately forwardb (cape) to reverse. and i learned from previous tries that throwing directly after he does it, it can still be deflected. i ended up winning the match but missing stitch. i daired floated again and threw stitch fair but it missed. what could i have done against a mario with medium space on fd just hitting the cape like crazy.

DeathByTurnips

Smash Cadet
Well, against a marth, youre gonna lose with the range when you try to uair him but its not impossible, if ur going up against something like that, use the umbrella instead and try it again if you will

And against caping marios, i play against one, and basically what youve got to do is rush at him like youre gonna throw it and when he capes,u just gotta wait for the right moment (at point blank, he'll probly try to attack you or something) and thats when you throw the stitch either that, or throw it down on top of the mario when you jump above him

Heres a tip if you want to try throwing it down at him:
Run at him and jump over him still moving and when you get over him, hit the Z button and peach will just drop the turnip and it'll fall ontop of him, if he still manages to reflect it, well your away from him so it wont hit you at least

CanISmash

Smash Lord
more questions if people dont mind.

do you guys float cancel only when your floats about to end? because iono i feel like i can get in at least two aerials a float.

how many people wavedash with peach? it seems pointless to me... can anyone recommend attacks that can follow from a wave dash other than mind games? it seems like wave dashing puts me in a worse position than if i just dash danced or dashed at the opponent.

oh and can l-cancel be performed with the right trigger. lol i know it sounds stupid but it seems easier. any tips on recognizing when im l-canceling and when im not. like young link its so obvious but sometimes with peach i cant tell.

oh and i also read somewhere but i cant find it now, ways to turn quickly (in a float or however) so your facing the ledge, if you jumped off of it to ledge guard. i doesn't happen alot but once every few games i own myself by opening my umbrella the wrong way and im unable to grab the edge. -_-

timbu

Smash Apprentice
you float cancel whenever you want to cancel the delay of an aerial, it's that simple. a lot of people including me, instant float in order to float cancel one aerial. But if you want to do 2 aerials nobody will stop you =].

wave dashing is used by a lot of peaches as mindgames and for spacing...wavedashing backwards and charging or c-sticking a downsmash is a good counter to shuffled aerials. Peaches wavedash is pretty short so wavedashing forward into an attack is not optimal.

if you can't tell that you're l-cancelling, you're probably not using it to its potential. if you were to jump again or throw in a dash-attack after a supposed l-cancelled attack you would see the frame lag difference.

you can up-b towards the stage, I think if you up-b straight up you will open the umbrella in the direction you're facing, you can't change the direction of your float if you're floating, ever.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
Here try some diffrent tricks like-
1.Right after float canceling hold -R and press A to immedietly grab.
2.Try to keep your oponent in the air with chain grabs and up smashes.
3.Float, do the kicks(down) while floating and immedietly press A, its a great trick.
4.Every time you cancel your float and you hitng with your Butt, down smash.

I use the A when attacking foward in the air but C when backwards. I also use A or the kicks(down) because unless you hold the controller weird, its hard to hold Y and move the C-stick.

Another trick that works against Fox very well is the Umbrella combo, Do up-B, then wen you fully open it, close it, then open then close and open right when about to hit the ground, then you can grab or do watever.

timbu

Smash Apprentice
the_smash_champ has a lot of good points and things to try. eventually your style of play and the way your fingers like to move will dictate how you play, but until then try those things he mentioned!

also i like to dash dance and space with wavedashing and run in with dash attack. her dash attack is a great combo starter and is very fast. If you dash attack behind them they can't shield-grab you.

also try to use her neutral a on the ground (slappity slap) after and before combos or after float-cancelling. It's surprisingly fast and 7% ish is not bad for something use to fill in the blanks when you fight.

like smash child says, against fastfallers and low percentages on non-fast fallers, the up-throw->run and upsmash is a good way to change up fighting from the air. Also try instant float upairs or short up or djc'd upairs...they kill floaties and combo fastfallers very well!

CanISmash

Smash Lord
finally got to play against a much better selecttion of peeps. few more questions.

i played a marth and i couldn't attack him with anything but d-smash. i know you guys are gonna be like so what just keep d-smashing. but if i tried f-air i got smacked. neutral air. smacked. pulled a turnip... i got charged at and smacked. felt impossible. and the fact that the only thing i could do to him was down c-stick just hurt my feeling deep down inside lol. i felt like the ill noob like anyone could do it. i noticed i've forgotten about her dash attack... probably because people i played with for a while kept shielding it but i've got to implement that more.

another questions... what are good ways to pull of a d-air. the move seems way to risky insta-float and if you float cancel it you cant combo it with neutral a. well not how it normally would turn out.

what should you do about people who rush when your pulling turnips. every moment im rushed im like **** i wish i had my dash attack but im stuck with this vegetable.

oo and any tips against a camping shuffling falcon?

or a samus over your head dropping bombs. and sitting back spamming missiles

more jumbled issues... tackle any you think you can answer well.

Samochan

Smash Master
another questions... what are good ways to pull of a d-air. the move seems way to risky insta-float and if you float cancel it you cant combo it with neutral a. well not how it normally would turn out.

what should you do about people who rush when your pulling turnips. every moment im rushed im like **** i wish i had my dash attack but im stuck with this vegetable.

oo and any tips against a camping shuffling falcon?

or a samus over your head dropping bombs. and sitting back spamming missiles

more jumbled issues... tackle any you think you can answer well.
You should not pull out turnips when you're close enough to the player to get a hit in unexpectedly. But if they still somehow rush at you, it just means they don't think and you could easily decimate them with a bit of mindgames from your part. There are also some tricks to throwing turnips:

1. You can throw them from your shield to any direction with the c-stick or just throw lazily forward with a. Turnips miss however if your opponent is right next to you so the turnip will just pass him. You can also just jump out of your shield when they're close to you, c-stick throw the turnip down to them and drop down/double jump cancel at their heads with a bair or something.

2. You can aerial with a turnip in hand when you float, but you can throw your turnip with a or c-stick when you're not floathing.

3. Peach throws a little bit further when you turn around and throw into the other direction with c-stick. Works both in airborne and ground.

4. Reuse turnips and catch them with A while on ground and Z while airborne. The fact that their catching hitbox increases every time you throw makes them easier to catch for you. Useful if you don't have time to pull out many turnips and especially useful when you get a stitch. If you get an item that gets thrown on a platform, for example, jump trough that item and press Z to catch it. Dropping turnips with Z while floathing can also be a good mindgame and can lead to comboes.

Spam turnips vs marth. Unless they're very good at swatting them away, this should give you plenty of openings for attacks. Dash attack also works like a dream, but remember to occasionally jump cancel grab (or just dash grab) to mix up if you know they like to shiedgrab this move. Also just dash canceling your run into dsmash (press down and c-stick down at the same time) on marth's shield works nicely.

You can float cancel any aerial to anything you wish to do, from slaps to tilts to smashes to grabs to evasive maneuvers to jumping again. So your only limit here is your imagination. :3 One way to use dair is to fc it behind their shields, then quickly turn around from that and grab. I also once did something like fc dair ->turn around ftilt to my opponent who was shielding (fox) and it caught him right when he tried to jump out of his shield.

Outcamp Falcon with your turnips and if he just continuously shffles at you, shieldgrab him. You can also cc his aerials cept dair at low% to dsmash, so make him think twice at approaching you. :> Or if you wanna be superfancy, you can interrupt his shffling with a plain slap, leading into a grab or dsmash or stuff. Depends a lot of your timing and spacing, since his feet reach very long when nairing. Also, remember to chaingrab him. :> Ftilt, fsmash and upsmash go trough his aerials when spaced and timed correcly. Just running away -> dsmash can cripple his every shffle attempt. Fast float cancelled nair/uair can prevent his shffling attempts if you're close and dash attack is a good way to play a counter defensive way.

Samus that likes to spam bombs does not like to have you jumping out of your shield with a nair or parasol. Also plain rolling away helps to get away from this shield deteoriating move. Good way to prevent this from happening is good spacing, so don't let samus get near your shield like that. If samus likes to spam missiles a lot, you need to be more evasive, float a lot, powershield if you can and when you get an opening from that spamming and you're close, expect that samus will try to nair/fair/uair you out of your float so float a bit backwards and punish with your own aerial, then attack like there is no tomorrow to keep samus from missile spamming. If not, feel free to attack him with fair, cause that move cannot be crouch cancelled. Spam your own turnips against him as well. You can also destroy every missile that comes in front of you with every one of your aerials, not forgetting well timed slaps, ftilt, fsmash and dash attack. Platform stages can help a lot when dealing with a spammy samus, but it becomes very troublesome if they can effectively spam platform cancelled double missiles. x_x

CanISmash

Smash Lord
more stuff f-air from i nsta-float is not a good approach is it? i seem to get smacked alot... is it just spacing?

also when getting comboed and you manage a float should you attack usually. i always try a neutral or back air but maybe half of the times. me and my opponent hit each other and i get the worse off for some reason. or even if i dont float out i have the habit of intentionally letting my character tumble to pull of an aerial on an approaching player trying to combo... bad habit???

also if anyone has any tips for going offensive with peach. what are some approaches you use when you need to move at your opponent.

finally d-air is autocancelled right? so does it matter if you shorthop l-cancel or float cancel or you dont have to?

thanks for anyone and everyone responding... i can finally say i think my peach is getting good

Top Bottom