• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
edit: I tried Sharla as a tank and it worked =] !
I haven't personally played as her, but she survives just fine with aggro on her. A tank role is interesting for her since her damage output isn't that great. Then again, this game's views on tanks is a bit odd what with Dunban, the tank that never gets hit.

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
Wii Version:
New 3ds Version: Couldn't find an image, so here's a video. When they're running across Gaur Plain it's a bit clearer.
What's more interesting to me is the announcement of a sequel to Bravely Default! eeeeeeeeeeee

Last edited:

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
I beat all ultimate bosses without the extra skill tree.
Once I got seven I always play as it.

My party was shulk, dunban and seven most of the time.
But it is so much easier with melia, shulk and seven or dunban as a dodge tank.

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
I haven't personally played as her, but she survives just fine with aggro on her. A tank role is interesting for her since her damage output isn't that great. Then again, this game's views on tanks is a bit odd what with Dunban, the tank that never gets hit.
Ever played a Brewmaster Monk in World of Warcraft? They're another type of dodge-tank, and very fun. They're based on the Drunken Brawler archetype, which is in turn based on an actual defensive style of martial arts where practitioners of the style appear to be drunk, staggering backwards and moving deceptively in order to avoid attacks.

Speaking of martial arts, it would have been really cool to have an Ether-wielder like Melia who used it to enhance their own bodies and kick Mechon to death.

Last edited:

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
And yeah, Shulk's hair looks fluffy up close. One has to wonder how Shulk keeps his hair like that (I need to shampoo and condition twice every day just to keep my hair like that) since he's on a revenge mission for such a long time. Of course, that might just be a subtle case of Anime Hair.
He uses Lara Croft's new shampoo, Tress FX. :b

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
And yeah, Shulk's hair looks fluffy up close. One has to wonder how Shulk keeps his hair like that (I need to shampoo and condition twice every day just to keep my hair like that) since he's on a revenge mission for such a long time. Of course, that might just be a subtle case of Anime Hair.
Well it's gotten much fluffier since he joined Smash Bros. ...In fact, everyone in Smash has really nice hair...

I wonder who the barber in the Smash Mansion is... That poodle girl from Animal Crossing who can somehow make people's hair longer?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Well it's gotten much fluffier since he joined Smash Bros. ...In fact, everyone in Smash has really nice hair...

I wonder who the barber in the Smash Mansion is... That poodle girl from Animal Crossing who can somehow make people's hair longer?
That makes me think. I'd love a mode that had you interacting with non-violent Nintendo characters (or stage background characters) in some kind of "Smash Mansion" or "Smash Camp". It would be completely pointless and have nothing to do with fighting but it would allow for some brilliant fan service.

Maybe you could occasionally encounter characters on the roster who would challenge you to casual fights.

Last edited:

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
That makes me think. I'd love a mode that had you interacting with non-violent Nintendo characters (or stage background characters) in some kind of "Smash Mansion" or "Smash Camp". It would be completely pointless and have nothing to do with fighting but it would allow for some brilliant fan service.

Maybe you could occasionally encounter characters on the roster who would challenge you to casual fights.
Incoming ban from nintendo for spoiling Smash Wii U's single player mode.

Last edited:

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337
I get the feeling that the esteemed Mr. Howden has visited the Shulk boards in the past. Or maybe people have been repeating the meme to him unrelentingly.
He even has a hashtag for it:
Adam Howden @A_HOWDZ · Sep 3
Went for a run today & now "I'M REALLY FEELING IT" in my knees. See what I did there? #ShulkJokes Sorry...

He's embracing it, if you can't beat 'em join'em.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I get the feeling that the esteemed Mr. Howden has visited the Shulk boards in the past. Or maybe people have been repeating the meme to him unrelentingly.
Someone linked him to the image of the guy who said he'd "suck all the d***s available if Shulk ever made it into Smash." He replied with "PUCKER UP!"

Also, I noticed that the OP makes mention of what happens in your first encounter with Metal Face. Not sure how I feel about that, personally.

Last edited:

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
Someone linked him to the image of the guy who said he'd "suck all the d***s available if Shulk ever made it into Smash." He replied with "PUCKER UP!"
This man clearly has the greatest sense of humor in the universe.

Also, for what I think is the first time, I honestly prefer the English VAs to the Japanese ones. British VAs FTW!

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Ever played a Brewmaster Monk in World of Warcraft? They're another type of dodge-tank, and very fun. They're based on the Drunken Brawler archetype, which is in turn based on an actual defensive style of martial arts where practitioners of the style appear to be drunk, staggering backwards and moving deceptively in order to avoid attacks.

Speaking of martial arts, it would have been really cool to have an Ether-wielder like Melia who used it to enhance their own bodies and kick Mechon to death.
That sounds like the character I'd play in WoW. Love it.

Now I want more Drunken Fist users in games.

Last edited:

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
Is this for real? Sorry Matthew Mercer, Adam Howden is now my favorite video game voice actor.
Checking out his twitter feed, He's apparently a huge Xenoblade nerd and even used #Shulk4Smash a couple of times. Though, considering that he's the VA for Shulk in SSB4 as far as I'm aware, that's probably not a surprise.

I dislike how his art style changed in Smash. He seems to have lost 2 or 3 years of age.

Last edited:

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337
I dislike how his art style changed in Smash. He seems to have lost 2 or 3 years of age.
I agree, but thankfully this only seems to be a problem for his CGI in the trailer, in my opinion at least. His gameplay model looks more like his Xenoblade model but with more polish.
upload_2014-9-5_22-51-54.png
upload_2014-9-5_22-53-37.png

Last edited:

rogue_shade

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rogue_Shade
3DS FC
4210-4476-8602
I remember that one of my big reasons for not believing the leak was because of the leaked Shulk model on the Character Select Screen. I thought it looked too off from his Xenoblade model.
Joke is on me now.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I've really gotten the hang of this sharla tanking thing! I've been killing things I haven't been able to before at my level. Just some updates to the earlier post:

It seems to me that cure round draws in just about as much aggro as heal round. I would just start a battle with Sharla by running in, auto attacking once to get attention, heal rounding, and then cure rounding. It gives you so much immediate aggro.

There's a great strength I forgot to mention about using Sharla as a tank and that is she can't miss her healing arts. This means she doesn't care what level the enemy is, she tanks it just fine as long as she can take the damage of course.

Well that's enough xenoblade for a day, off to bed.

mattmonkey24

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if this thread is aware, but in Japan they had a release build demo featuring shulk (and robin and many others excluding lucina, tho) so there is some limited info on the new characters, i can provide links if anyone is interested enough

Last edited:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this thread is aware, but in Japan they had a release build demo featuring shulk (and robin and many others excluding lucina, tho) so there is some limited info on the new characters, i can provide links if anyone is interested enough
Sure, any info is good info.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman

Smash Camp, you say? :troll: (Don't mind me, Smash Camp is just the name of an event that a few forums get together for every year in the summer. People join and get sorted off into one of four cabins, and then you play flash games for points as well as things like Mario Kart tournaments or, when there's actually working online for it, Smash tournaments. Whichever cabin wins gets bragging rights. My cabin didn't win this year.)

Mendelsin

Smash Cadet
So some info from the people at the Smash 4 demo in Japan. One said that Shulk feels really good and has lots of range and options and that Shulk (and alot of others) seem to be looking really good. I'm really really excited to get my hands on this game. october come faster pls

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337
So some info from the people at the Smash 4 demo in Japan. One said that Shulk feels really good and has lots of range and options and that Shulk (and alot of others) seem to be looking really good. I'm really really excited to get my hands on this game. october come faster pls
This means that Shulk will be a solid character?
upload_2014-9-6_13-33-26.png

I would've probably used him either way to be honest...

mattmonkey24

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
sorry, guys i went to bed after posting that and i've been trying to fix up my car that wont start :(

i need 10 posts to give you guys the links >_< this is laaame

the two Smashboards users are Zipzo and Cadari, they had footage from the event so this is real, you can search for them or wait for me to get 2 more posts somewhere on this website

ok, 1 more post till i can spew all the links, and the AMA from Zipzo is locked for the night (considering Japan's time) what i can say for now is that Shulk's art changing is supposedly instantaneous and Zipzo also said he will attend the event again tomorrow and he's going to go into it trying to get much more info than last time so we should see much more of people's questions answered

Last edited by a moderator:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Back Ledge Grabbing is back

Shield while running

Shulks standing a is a 3 hit combo
Shulks up b is a TWO PART combo
You can choose to do the second part by inputting b again
Basically he swipes up like dolphin slash
If you hit b again
He will do a swipe in front of him and send the opponent flying
His up smash is sort of like palutena, except a much smaller pillar of light
Coming from his monado
I think his running dash attack is just a sword swipe
Don't quote me on that I didn't take it to memory (As I quote him anyway lol)
Shulk lunges forward and swipes down with his forward b
In to the ground
When you press neutral b it changes the insignia
Can't change while rolling, unsure attacking
His bair he shoves his sword behind him without even turning around
Like under his arm

Captain falcon still has his knee of justice but they made HUGE landing lag
His side b still does strike dmg (I'm sorry), I think I misinterpreted a guy next to me who was playing him say that. Shouldn't have said it without confirming myself

Dark red charizard
Blue charizard

Shulk has the underpants alt we all know about, rest are recolors

Little Mac has 16 costumes!
He has 8 costumes for his fleshy self, and 8 costumes for his wireframe
Shulk armor alts deconfirmed =/

Side b kind of sounds like turn strike/shaker edge

-

edit: Here's all the things relating to Shulk
":4shulk:Shulk
  • Shulk has amazing spacing options because his Monado reaches so damn far
  • Shulks standing a is a 3 hit combo
  • Shulks up b is a TWO PART combo. You can choose to do the second part by inputting b again, basically he swipes up like dolphin slash [and] f you hit b again he will do a swipe in front of him and send the opponent flying
  • His up smash is sort of like palutena, except a much smaller pillar of light coming from his monado
  • I think his running dash attack is just a sword swipe: Don't quote me on that I didn't take it to memory (As I quote him anyway lol)
  • Shulk lunges forward and swipes down with his forward b in to the ground
  • When you press neutral b it changes the insignia, can't change while rolling, unsure attacking
  • His bair he shoves his sword behind him without even turning around like under his arm
  • Shulk has the underpants alt we all know about, rest are recolors"
Oh wait, re-reading it, it looks like back slash is the side b

Last edited:

mattmonkey24

Smash Rookie
Shulk armor alts deconfirmed =/

Side b kind of sounds like turn strike/shaker edge
yep, you found it! i now have 10 posts so i can get those links up next, sorry everyone for the spam :/
i don't think Zipzo is quite a professional on Xenoblade knowledge (same goes for a lot of the smash characters) so he doesn't always know what the moves or character skins refer to

mattmonkey24

Smash Rookie
this is the link to user Zipzo's AMA and his friend Cadari are both answering as much as they can, they have videos (in the last link) so its 100% real, and they aren't complete noobs and have a sense of metagame and such (unlike me)

http://smashboards.com/threads/sorr...ld-of-smash-4-ama.366574/page-5#post-17488331

this link is an ama on reddit, i can't 100% confirm that he was there but he seems to know what he's talking about and his info seems to be consistent with Zipzo & Cadari
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2fmn1z/just_got_back_from_smash_4_demo_ill_answer_what/

this reddit link summed up everything Zipzo said in his original Smashboards thread
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2fluu0/smashboardszipzos_feedback_on_the_latest_demo/

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Here's some info from the reddit guy...

Q: What about Shulk?!?
A: Kick. Ass. He has this cool mechanic on his smashes and certain aerials where he throws out the Monado for a hit and then automatically hits them again a second later with the sword's beam. Hard to get used to his mode changing, and he seems easy to punish but I imagine he will be well loved and potentially viable
-
Q: How fast is Shulk's monado changing?
A: fast-ish, but you can act while doing it

-

Q: So how was shulk? Good, bad, meh? Also did you see all of his alt costumes?

A: He had some costumes that were sleeveless. He seems unique! Amazing range and toooooons of options

-

Q: What power does kirby get when he inhales shulk?

A: That was something I meant to test but ran out of time. I'm fairly certain he gets to switch to the various modes tho

-------------

Some other stuff from Zipzo

"Shulks second jump is a somersault. Feels funny. All his smash attacks have a strange millisecond-ish load-up time before they come out. The Monado powering up or whatever."

"the ledge is DEFINITELY tougher to grab and there is no snap. Unfortunately both Marth and Shulk flip for their 2nd jump so I could not test ledge re-grabbing within a short window of time because it waits for their flip animation to finish before actually grabbing."

mattmonkey24

Smash Rookie
to follow up on the "tougher to grab ledge" Zipzo said there was a window of time where the ledge was not possible to grab which prevents stalling the match and will also affect the off map meta game

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
This is some nice info. I might have to change my mind on possible secondary mains, after Falco, Dr. Mario and Greninja.

I'd also like to go back on my previous judgements regarding the initial roster.

I think this actually might be the initial roster. While I'm sceptical about Palutena, Shulk and Pac-Man some of the other characters I was unsure about appearing have been seen in all those Japanese adverts (namely Greninja but Shulk was in one too, adding to the possibility he could be initial) and Rosalina's inclusion on the 3DS boxart, there are only a couple doubts here which points to the possibility of this as the starting roster.

Last edited:

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337
This is some nice info. I might have to change my mind on possible secondary mains, after Falco, Dr. Mario and Greninja.

I'd also like to go back on my previous judgements regarding the initial roster.

I think this actually might be the initial roster. While I'm sceptical about Palutena, Shulk and Pac-Man some of the other characters I was unsure about appearing have been seen in all those Japanese adverts (namely Greninja but Shulk was in one too, adding to the possibility he could be initial) and Rosalina's inclusion on the 3DS boxart, there are only a couple doubts here which points to the possibility of this as the starting roster.
Hmm, I would think that at least one of the third-parties would be unlockable.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman

Pretty sure this isn't the initial roster. Luigi's there. He was stated to still be unlockable, but that may be for only the Wii U version. Not sure, but I think that the starting roster is a bit smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom