• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to be straight up blunt here. It would be hard to come up with an original up B for Shulk to use as recovery.

Some people mention Cyclone, but guess what? If people saw that then they'd just scream that it was a rip off of Link's Up B where he spins around with his sword.

Thinking through just about everything in Xenoblade, I can't think of something completely unique that could serve as an Up B as well as what was chosen.

Edit: I know! We could have Juju appear below Shulk, who stomps on his head and sends Juju to his doom as Shulk propels himself back up to the stage!

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Air Slash being a clone of (DOLPHIN SLASH, thanks Soul) Marth just makes sense. They do kind of behave a bit similar, and Shulk's Air Slash was kind of short in height in Xenoblade.

I mean, it's not that one or two moves that make the clone.

Same with Shadow Eye being a counter. The in-game effect for Shadow Eye translates well to being a counter. (I used it like that, with Shadow Eye-> Back Slash/Slit Edge)

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
*Dolphin Slash
It's been a while since I've even touched Marth, I see. :urg:

Anyways, I don't feel the need to grasp at straws and say he's a clone of anyone at this point. That Monado mechanic makes him seem like he's a buff-up character (Enchant gives him more damage, Speed makes him faster, etc.) which is pretty good, because in a way, it's a bit similar to Xenoblade, in a weird way.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I just wanted to drop in and let everyone know I'm having a blast with Xenoblade Chronicles. ^~^

I'm near the end of the Makna Forest part.
I am pleased to hear that you're really enjoying it :D

You forgot the part where they tease Dark Pit again.

He's the definite Party Crasher!

And as my Modly friend Hokori stated here, the recent events are only hyping me up furthermore, even more than I was before. This pretty much was dangling a carrot, because we have no explanation of his playstyle, still one of the most important elements in Smash (And Shulk ain't no clone!)
Dark Pit will be the ultimate Party Crasher. Wouldn't be surprised to see him turn up in a Chain Attack FS as well :troll:

And yeah. Even CPU Shulk managed to hype me up when I saw some of the moves. I normally facepalm when I see "Is ___ OP?" threads, but I'd love to see the reactions from Shulk's trailer.

#SoBiasedRightNow

I'm going to be straight up blunt here. It would be hard to come up with an original up B for Shulk to use as recovery.

Some people mention Cyclone, but guess what? If people saw that then they'd just scream that it was a rip off of Link's Up B where he spins around with his sword.

Thinking through just about everything in Xenoblade, I can't think of something completely unique that could serve as an Up B as well as what was chosen.

Edit: I know! We could have Juju appear below Shulk, who stomps on his head and sends Juju to his doom as Shulk propels himself back up to the stage!
Super Clone Bros.

The people gonna love it :shades:

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
My idea for Shulk's Final Smash is simple.

After you get the smash ball, you activate it and it turns out the entire match was a vision. So Shulk corrects his mistakes and you auto win the match.

Not OP at all, I swear. :troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's been a while since I've even touched Marth, I see. :urg:

Anyways, I don't feel the need to grasp at straws and say he's a clone of anyone at this point. That Monado mechanic makes him seem like he's a buff-up character (Enchant gives him more damage, Speed makes him faster, etc.) which is pretty good, because in a way, it's a bit similar to Xenoblade, in a weird way.
I just wonder what the other modes are and what each mode does.
The modes will definitely make Shulk a very interesting and complex fighter. I sense that he will be a tough character to face when someone masters him and the mode mechanic.

a.vader

Smash Rookie
NNID
a.vader
3DS FC
5026-4407-1098
I fully understand. I used to be the leader of an online community, and so I had to manually update our list of members as well as the amount of points each person had. It was such a a pain... especially when name changes got introduced. If I would spend a few days not doing it, then I would have to spend hours going through each page looking for who joined, who did what to get points, and whether somebody who appears to be new is actually new or just changed their name. If I was not the leader of that group, there is no way I would have done that.

So here's an idea for Shulk's final Smash.
When Shulk uses his Final Smash, ****son falls from the sky and then shoots Shulk in the back. Shulk falls to the ground and Zanza comes out of his body. He takes the Monado from Shulk and starts attacking other players while shouting, "All life must return to the Bionis in order to complete the cycle!" After a while, Shulk gets up and in his hands appears the Monado III. He uses a huge Monado Buster that slices Zanza up and any other players on the field. Then, Alvis appears as a green cloud and starts circling around in the sky with the Zanza's and Meyneth's Monados. He asks Shulk, "So, what is your wish?" and then Shulk throws his Monado into the air while shouting "A world with no need for gods!" The players, who are already probably going 'WTF?' at this time, then witness the rebirth of the universe. The music changes to Beyond the Sky and the background of the stage changes to Colony 9 during the final cutscene of the game. Shulk gets the Monado 1 back and the fight continues.
I would pay to see that final smash. EPIC.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I just wonder what the other modes are and what each mode does.
The modes will definitely make Shulk a very interesting and complex fighter. I sense that he will be a tough character to face when someone masters him and the mode mechanic.
I can't shake the thought of Power Rangers when I see/hear mode discussion...idk why

I've been warming up to the idea more and more ever since it was brought up, and I'm actually pretty excited for it. As a Shulk main, there will be plenty of fun to have in the 'lab' with this character.

D

Deleted member

I can't shake the thought of Power Rangers when I see/hear mode discussion...idk why

I've been warming up to the idea more and more ever since it was brought up, and I'm actually pretty excited for it. As a Shulk main, there will be plenty of fun to have in the 'lab' with this character.
At first I was iffy, but it makes sense. It makes Shulk more of a standout fighter; we've never had a mode changer and this will make Shulk unique. It also represents Xenoblade in a way where you can switch between Arts and some Monado Arts are getting some representation.

When the games come out, we will be doing a lot of research as to how Shulk's metagame will be developed. It might take a long time to the point where we will barely have enough time to go outside and get some fresh air!

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman

Yeah and no one has complained about the similarities or Sonic and Mega Man's recovery. or did they I don't remember

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793

Go go Xeno Rangers!

Hokori

Great King of Evil
At first I was iffy, but it makes sense. It makes Shulk more of a standout fighter; we've never had a mode changer and this will make Shulk unique. It also represents Xenoblade in a way where you can switch between Arts and some Monado Arts are getting some representation.

When the games come out, we will be doing a lot of research as to how Shulk's metagame will be developed. It might take a long time to the point where we will barely have enough time to go outside and get some fresh air!
Indeed.

I mean, it's Smash. I never expected Sakurai to keep things completely canon in the first place. More so, take in some inspiration from Xenoblade, then add his own twists in a way that he sees fit.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
People are probably going to call Shulk cheap because of his attacks sporting long range.

Also, his up tilt is unusual. It doesn't look like you can juggle with it, instead it acts more like an anti-air attack. The angle and range suggests this.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Shulk is looking amazing, i always saw him in the battlefield in his battle stance with the Monado ready to attack, but this new stance they gave him seems like a very fresh departure from the other swordmen, imo, i like how he uses the laser blade just when he's attacking.

Sure some of his attacks look similar to other fighters like dair is similar to Link's, upb to Marth's, and even down smash to PM Roy, but i think his mechanic of changing the Monado's symbols is what really will make the difference on his play style.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
People are probably going to call Shulk cheap because of his attacks sporting long range.

Also, his up tilt is unusual. It doesn't look like you can juggle with it, instead it acts more like an anti-air attack. The angle and range suggests this.
This. It looks like it could sport some good knockback, like Dedede's up tilt, making it a quick kill move.
Go go Xeno Rangers!
Someone needs to make this happen.
But what would Melia be?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It was just a crack at how Monolith treats Melly, really. And for awesome Pink Rangers? I dunno, I'll definitely check that out.
You should, specially Timeranger (if you are into tokus, of course). Pink Ranger usually are useless yes, but not all of them :p

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Not a spoiler just irrelevant.
Have we made the joke yet? Y'know, the 20XX one?
20MechnoX
Shulk Only
No items
Gaur Plains

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
You know half of Xenoblade is Mechon, yet i've only heard possible newcomers as Homs & Nopon. I would love to see Metal-face, Yaldabaoth, or especially the Silver Mechon

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know half of Xenoblade is Mechon, yet i've only heard possible newcomers as Homs & Nopon. I would love to see Metal-face, Yaldabaoth, or especially the Silver Mechon
would Seven count as Homs, Mechon, or both?

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Last time I remember you being around was when I joined - most of those people are sitting in a private convo because everyone got stupidly off-topic on this thread, I think let @KingofZeroX know if you want in.

And you're completely right. I do feel a little mixed, but I'm warming up to it. Shulk in Smash is what I've wanted for three years straight - I can't complain when I'm finally getting what I've wanted for so long!
From what I remember, most of the people who were around when I was here before were actually the ones who started the off topic stuff... Funny how that works.;)

And I'm with you on the Shulk excitement! I've recently made a point to put some Xenoblade music on my phone, so I can listen at work. :) I just can't seem to stop rocking out to You Will Know Our Names... So glad it's Shulk's victory theme. Though now that I think about it, I'm not sure what else they could have used... It's just neat to know that the dev team is aware of what Xeno song we like best.:chuckle:

thecharizardf8

Smash Cadet
I remember monado Monday... than we got robin lol when the gematsu leak was confirmed fake I lost hope In shulk but than this leak came along and when I saw the footage I have faith again

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
im gonna be honest.... I want
Seven playable... her final smash could be final cross
There's actually a Fiora thread if you want to check it out.

I need to put Xenoblade music on my phone. All I have right now is Sweet Victory (not a Xenoblade song) xD @ PhilosophicAnimal PhilosophicAnimal do you mind linking me?

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I can't wait to see what other Xeno content is in... smash run enemies? ATs? Maybe even Metal Face as a boss?! And just thinking about what remixes we might get to the music... :awesome:

Come on Sakurai... we've got a lot to cover! Officially reveal Shulk already!

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
If this leak of Shulk is legit then what is your overall satisfaction with Shulk's moves thus far?
From what I've seen, looks pretty cool. First time in Smash Bros. to have a character that can buff himself, and if it isn't the stance Shulk from the leak, and neutral B changes what Monado art you use, that would be awesome too.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
If this leak of Shulk is legit then what is your overall satisfaction with Shulk's moves thus far?
I want to see more footage of him before I can form a good opinion on it, though, I love the animations of the Mode Changes!

I think Shulk will probably override Lucina as my #1 main.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
There's actually a Fiora thread if you want to check it out.

I need to put Xenoblade music on my phone. All I have right now is Sweet Victory (not a Xenoblade song) xD @ PhilosophicAnimal PhilosophicAnimal do you mind linking me?
http://mariomedia.net/

That's where I got mine... seems like a legit site to me.

Hope the link works... I've never done that before.:)

D

Deleted member

I like what I see, but I need more of it before I can give my overall satisfaction. I want to know what his Monado modes are and what they do.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

Thank you! Shulk's Up-B was always an enigma to me. Nothing ever felt comfortable, and Air Slash as it was would've looked a little odd, being two strikes while suspended in midair. Besides, this has some good vertical distance to it.

And as much as we all seemed to dislike the idea, Counters came up in movesets people made literally all the time.

Everything else is totally awesome, so I don't see the problem here!

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Thank you! Shulk's Up-B was always an enigma to me. Nothing ever felt comfortable, and Air Slash as it was would've looked a little odd, being two strikes while suspended in midair. Besides, this has some good vertical distance to it.

And as much as we all seemed to dislike the idea, Counters came up in movesets people made literally all the time.

Everything else is totally awesome, so I don't see the problem here!
Agreed. Also, are we even sure that that Shadow Eye-looking move is even his downB? It looks kinda like it could be his standing dodge... Maybe I'm grasping here...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom