• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rohalina

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rohan21
3DS FC
4854-6423-3624
So, with it being PAX prime from Aug 29th - Sep 1st, fo you think we will get a Nintendo Direct later this week? I'm thinking Thursday to get a headstart or next Tuesday after PAX. Hoping for Thursday as Tuesday is the day I start Sixth Form (like College), and I would miss it live.

Hopefully the next direct will show Shulk so we can understand how he plays more and get an official release of his artwork!

thecharizardf8

Smash Cadet
Double Post
yea... but I honestly would prefer monado buster lol

I guess we'll find out soon enough

Last edited by a moderator:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
More hype news—even though the new information is to be expected—but at least it's being mentioned!

Xenoblade X is one of the Wii U games featured in this new EDGE magazine, and one of the quotes say that its world is going to be five times bigger than in Xenoblade.
Well collecting treasure should be so much fun now! I'm going to attempt to buy it first day!

Last edited:

monaDOH

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
shulk is a terrible character for smash 4, xenoblade, more like failoblaze.

monaDOH

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
You're funny, I like you. Say more funny things.
more funny things

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)anyways, i dont think that shulk from failoblade will be in since hes not on the main list for smash boards( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lloyd_LoD_

Smash Rookie
Hi guys! My first post here. Been lurking the boards for a while, so thought it was time to contribute! Xenoblade is one of my favorite games of all time, so sign me up on the list!

I've also got a theory on the whole monado mode thing Shulk seems to have going for him, based upon one of the post about the different kanjis to choose from. What if his, yet to be revealed, side b is affected by which kanji shulk uses. Like normally his side b would be either back slash or stream edge. But once the player changes the kanji to what seem to be the sign for monado buster (as some of you have pointed out), the attack would change to monado buster. The same would apply for the cyclone and/or purge kanjis as well. But you only get to use the attack once until recharged or something. The player could of course choose to buff him self up in some sort of way instead of going for the attack (with the use of enchant /armor/speed kanji). This could lead to some intriguing tactical choices for the player, and would be kind of similar to the game in some aspects, where in the game you had to choose whether to upgrade your attacks or "buff" arts with your valuable art points (AP). Will you go for the final blow with the chances that you might miss, or will you buff yourself up for a short period of time instead. Would be kinda cool if this was the case, and totally make Shulk a unique character!

Just my to cents :)

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Hi guys! My first post here. Been lurking the boards for a while, so thought it was time to contribute! Xenoblade is one of my favorite games of all time, so sign me up on the list!

I've also got a theory on the whole monado mode thing Shulk seems to have going for him, based upon one of the post about the different kanjis to choose from. What if his, yet to be revealed, side b is affected by which kanji shulk uses. Like normally his side b would be either back slash or stream edge. But once the player changes the kanji to what seem to be the sign for monado buster (as some of you have pointed out), the attack would change to monado buster. The same would apply for the cyclone and/or purge kanjis as well. But you only get to use the attack once until recharged or something. The player could of course choose to buff him self up in some sort of way instead of going for the attack (with the use of enchant /armor/speed kanji). This could lead to some intriguing tactical choices for the player, and would be kind of similar to the game in some aspects, where in the game you had to choose whether to upgrade your attacks or "buff" arts with your valuable art points (AP). Will you go for the final blow with the chances that you might miss, or will you buff yourself up for a short period of time instead. Would be kinda cool if this was the case, and totally make Shulk a unique character!

Hmm, that would explain the monado attack symbols, and the Monado Buster symbol would still be a mode, so your theory fits with the Ninka leak. The only thing I'm wondering is why Sakurai and his team would not just make it so that selecting the symbol does the move.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I no longer update the support list now since everyone seems excited about Shulk is basically confirmed at this point, just so you guys know, I can still update it if you want.
more funny things

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)anyways, i dont think that shulk from failoblade will be in since hes not on the main list for smash boards( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Don't fall for the troll guys.

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
Hmm, that would explain the monado attack symbols, and the Monado Buster symbol would still be a mode, so your theory fits with the Ninka leak. The only thing I'm wondering is why Sakurai and his team would not just make it so that selecting the symbol does the move.
I figure that the neutral b gives you stat adjustments, which also enable you to use a specific side b. So it's kinda like all or nothing. This way you couldn't increase your attack but lower your defense and then just make uo for it with Monado Shield

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I no longer update the support list now since everyone seems excited about Shulk is basically confirmed at this point, just so you guys know, I can still update it if you want.

Don't fall for the troll guys.
I won't ask you to up date the support list, I won't put you thought that type of hell to add everyone on that list.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I fully understand. I used to be the leader of an online community, and so I had to manually update our list of members as well as the amount of points each person had. It was such a a pain... especially when name changes got introduced. If I would spend a few days not doing it, then I would have to spend hours going through each page looking for who joined, who did what to get points, and whether somebody who appears to be new is actually new or just changed their name. If I was not the leader of that group, there is no way I would have done that.

So here's an idea for Shulk's final Smash.
When Shulk uses his Final Smash, Dickson falls from the sky and then shoots Shulk in the back. Shulk falls to the ground and Zanza comes out of his body. He takes the Monado from Shulk and starts attacking other players while shouting, "All life must return to the Bionis in order to complete the cycle!" After a while, Shulk gets up and in his hands appears the Monado III. He uses a huge Monado Buster that slices Zanza up and any other players on the field. Then, Alvis appears as a green cloud and starts circling around in the sky with the Zanza's and Meyneth's Monados. He asks Shulk, "So, what is your wish?" and then Shulk throws his Monado into the air while shouting "A world with no need for gods!" The players, who are already probably going 'WTF?' at this time, then witness the rebirth of the universe. The music changes to Beyond the Sky and the background of the stage changes to Colony 9 during the final cutscene of the game. Shulk gets the Monado 1 back and the fight continues.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146

My thought is that the kanji switches his neutral B to whatever move you select. So fill up your talent gauge, hit b, stop it on Buster, and then you can use Monado Buster for a short while. I don't know how well this lines up with whatever Ninka was saying, but the text leaks about this have been all over the place. I'm only trusting the videos and pics until we get some word from Sakurai on what his moves actually are.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
When Shulk uses his Final Smash, ****son falls from the sky and then shoots Shulk in the back. Shulk falls to the ground and Zanza comes out of his body. He takes the Monado from Shulk and starts attacking other players while shouting, "All life must return to the Bionis in order to complete the cycle!" After a while, Shulk gets up and in his hands appears the Monado III. He uses a huge Monado Buster that slices Zanza up and any other players on the field. Then, Alvis appears as a green cloud and starts circling around in the sky with the Zanza's and Meyneth's Monados. He asks Shulk, "So, what is your wish?" and then Shulk throws his Monado into the air while shouting "A world with no need for gods!" The players, who are already probably going 'WTF?' at this time, then witness the rebirth of the universe. The music changes to Beyond the Sky and the background of the stage changes to Colony 9 during the final cutscene of the game. Shulk gets the Monado 1 back and the fight continues.
You win.

D

Deleted member

I was wondering, how do you think Shulk's trailer should be handled? Should we have the party members describe Shulk's mechanics? Perhaps all of them come together for a hypothetical Chain Attack Final Smash?

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I don't understand the shulk fanbase... there are characters that have waited decades to be in smash and people just prefer another swordsman?
Another swordsman? ANOTHER SWORDSMAN?! SOMEONE HOLD MY WEAVE.

No but seriously, yeah. Another swordsman. One with a laser sword who doesn't really know much about fighting. He's also a massive nerd and fights rather sloppily (as you can see in the gameplay footage). Shulk's sword can also do a variety of things. You would know that if you read the first post because it is seriously mentioned there a ton of times.

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
]Alright, so I decided to try and uncover all the Monado symbols that appear in the video. Looks like Shulk is becoming much more unique then we realized.

I've tried to screenshot the best images of each art symbol that I could and this is the result.

First one is most definitely Monado Speed and later on in the video, you can see the kanji appear and fade away quickly in the white circle, indicating that the buff timer is over.

The rest are a bit of a guess so here goes.

I went with Monado Purge for the second one. The symbols looks pretty much the same and the symbol is green in Smash, just the way it appears in Xenoblade.

Now I think I've found Monado Buster. This resembled Monado Buster or Monado Shield, but I went with Moando Buster as I think it looked closer to the same kanji character Monado Buster had.

The last one, I went with Shield. It doesn't look similar to any of the kanji on the other Monado arts so I inevitably went with Monado Shield. If we were to go by color, this could also be Monado Armor.

There's another moment later in the video where I believe Shulk switches to Monado Enchant but I can't seem to grab a good screenshot. The only lead I have on that is that Shulk's hands start to glow red.

I'm just gonna repost one of my older posts regarding Shulk's neutral special since it seems like a lot of people may have missed it in the midst of the hype. To sum it up quickly, I think the neutral special will be cycling through Monado arts while the side special will probably be Stream Edge or Back Slash

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
]Alright, so I decided to try and uncover all the Monado symbols that appear in the video. Looks like Shulk is becoming much more unique then we realized.

I've tried to screenshot the best images of each art symbol that I could and this is the result.

First one is most definitely Monado Speed and later on in the video, you can see the kanji appear and fade away quickly in the white circle, indicating that the buff timer is over.

The rest are a bit of a guess so here goes.

I went with Monado Purge for the second one. The symbols looks pretty much the same and the symbol is green in Smash, just the way it appears in Xenoblade.

Now I think I've found Monado Buster. This resembled Monado Buster or Monado Shield, but I went with Moando Buster as I think it looked closer to the same kanji character Monado Buster had.

The last one, I went with Shield. It doesn't look similar to any of the kanji on the other Monado arts so I inevitably went with Monado Shield. If we were to go by color, this could also be Monado Armor.

There's another moment later in the video where I believe Shulk switches to Monado Enchant but I can't seem to grab a good screenshot. The only lead I have on that is that Shulk's hands start to glow red.

I'm just gonna repost one of my older posts regarding Shulk's neutral special since it seems like a lot of people may have missed it in the midst of the hype. To sum it up quickly, I think the neutral special will be cycling through Monado arts while the side special will probably be Stream Edge or Back Slash
Dw, your posted prompted me to try and do my own analysis
I took some images from the game of the various Monado arts to be selected fm. I'm sure some of them are repeated, but the images are blurry so I can't tell.
Enchant
Buster
Shield
Speed
Purge
Armour
Cyclone
Eater

First and last images appear to be cyclone

Third to last is Buster

Bottom left corner and third one is speed

I think this might be Enchant

Enchant

Shield?

No idea about the rest. You guys might be able to figure it out though.
And we've been discussing what the various monado arts mean ever since.

The side b is also a huge topic of discussion

edit: Overall, my analysis agrees with yours except for the second image. I mean, Purge makes sense since it's green, but I don't think it lines up very well.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I don't understand the shulk fanbase... there are characters that have waited decades to be in smash and people just prefer another swordsman?
You may have a hard time understanding something if you're not actually trying to understand something. The OP will offer you plenty of insight on the Shulk fanbase and why we like the guy.

On another note, although we've already known that Shulk was likely to be present in the game for quite awhile and though recently we've seen some footage, I'm still hyped up for the trailer.

-Overall presentation
-Other Xenoblade characters making an appearance (?)
-More coverage of Shulk's moves coming from the man himself
-HD gloryyy
-Other things I don't feel like typing out right now

There's still a good deal left for me to be excited about, personally.

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
You may have a hard time understanding something if you're not actually trying to understand something. The OP will offer you plenty of insight on the Shulk fanbase and why we like the guy.

On another note, although we've already known that Shulk was likely to be present in the game for quite awhile and though recently we've seen some footage, I'm still hyped up for the trailer.

-Overall presentation
-HD gloryyy

You Will Know Our Names Smash ver.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Please don't use the too many swords argument. It will be like if I go to the bowser jr. form a say why want another Mario character don't we have so many of them and the same thing can go for the Mewtwo form. We have a character we will like to see in smash, ant the Shulk supporters are no different to this.

Last edited:

Killswitch0078

Smash Rookie
Didn't the leak say something about Back Slash being one of his moves? If so, that could be his side B (And would, of course, do more damage if you hit the enemies back), and could change depending on the Monado Mode.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I would actually be very shocked if Shulk's side b isn't back slash. It's easily his most iconic non-Monado art, and we already have the precedent for attacks that do more damage from behind with Nosferatu.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman

-Overall presentation
-HD gloryyy

I knoooooow I really wanna see Shulk in

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
I fully understand. I used to be the leader of an online community, and so I had to manually update our list of members as well as the amount of points each person had. It was such a a pain... especially when name changes got introduced. If I would spend a few days not doing it, then I would have to spend hours going through each page looking for who joined, who did what to get points, and whether somebody who appears to be new is actually new or just changed their name. If I was not the leader of that group, there is no way I would have done that.

When Shulk uses his Final Smash, ****son falls from the sky and then shoots Shulk in the back. Shulk falls to the ground and Zanza comes out of his body. He takes the Monado from Shulk and starts attacking other players while shouting, "All life must return to the Bionis in order to complete the cycle!" After a while, Shulk gets up and in his hands appears the Monado III. He uses a huge Monado Buster that slices Zanza up and any other players on the field. Then, Alvis appears as a green cloud and starts circling around in the sky with the Zanza's and Meyneth's Monados. He asks Shulk, "So, what is your wish?" and then Shulk throws his Monado into the air while shouting "A world with no need for gods!" The players, who are already probably going 'WTF?' at this time, then witness the rebirth of the universe. The music changes to Beyond the Sky and the background of the stage changes to Colony 9 during the final cutscene of the game. Shulk gets the Monado 1 back and the fight continues.
Does 999% and no knockback, just saps away at your stock.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Now with 110% more guitar and 70% more Reyn Time.
LOL yes reyn time! Really loved whenever he said that in game

"NOW, it's Reyn-Time!

Edit: Back to the Arts stuff, the 2nd to last one does not match any of the Kanjis listed. I last played Xenoblade a year or two ago so I don't remember exactly how things worked. Is there not any other Kanjis that it can be...? No matter how cursive the Kanji is written in, it does not match any of the ones listed.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I just wanted to drop in and let everyone know I'm having a blast with Xenoblade Chronicles. ^~^

I'm near the end of the Makna Forest part.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team

-Overall presentation
-HD gloryyy

You forgot the part where they tease Dark Pit again.

He's the definite Party Crasher!

And as my Modly friend Hokori stated here, the recent events are only hyping me up furthermore, even more than I was before. This pretty much was dangling a carrot, because we have no explanation of his playstyle, still one of the most important elements in Smash (And Shulk ain't no clone!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom