• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Did we hear Adam Howden? The only thing i've heard Shulk say clearly is "Air Slash" and it didn't sound very....Howdeny.....maybe I'm just crazy...
I'm 90% sure I heard Shulk taunting saying "Now i'm feeling it" or "i'm feeling it now!" It sounded like Adam to me.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Shulk's Neutral B Move seems to be A Kanji According to what the leak states One of them (I'll guess is red) Makes Shulk Deal out more damage but takes more damage While The Other (The Blue one) Makes Shulk take Less damage while he does Less damage to others.... In My Opinion It Seems like not a very useful move I can only see it becoming vital in certain situations But I'm also Disappointed that his Up And Down B are basically the same as the Fire Emblem Cast! Why couldn't we have Monado Shield for down B And Monado Cyclone for Up-B?? WE DON'T NEED MORE CHARACTERS THAT COPY MARTH'S STYLE OF PLAY! I'm Hoping they do something unique for the Side-Special! :(

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I NEED to know Shulk's side B. If it is not Buster, Purge, or Eater, I will be severely disappointed. I'm okay with the buff enchants being his neutral B, but if would suck if those were his only Monado arts.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I'm happy with Shulk's Up B. Air Slash was the only recovery that wouldn't look incredibly awkward and non-canon, imo. Sharing a move or two with other character's doesn't mean they'll play like them. Even if it does, being similar to Marth might even give him more play time in competitive and such (as an all time Marth main, I can't complain).

Him putting the Monado on his back and that jump are canon enough to satisfy me. Also, his down smash looks pretty cool and his range is just what I envisioned... get it?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Someone mentioned here, I would really like it if his final smash used his vision mechanic. Everyone has several seconds to move; then the vision ends, time goes back several seconds, then those players are automatically controlled to repeat those options. Then Shulk can feel epic taking them all out. Perhaps time can be slowed down and/or Shulk will be sped up and strengthed to balance it out and make sure he can kill at least 1-2 people realistically.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
It's a bit preemptive, but I figured I might as well go on ahead and make this post since the leak is now irrefutable.

In the words of our beloved Monado Boy, WE DID IT!

On topic, I don't mind Air Slash. Besides, it may turn out to have unique properties. We didn't see it hit anyone, it could end up having some nifty effect. Imagine if it worked like Falcon's, and stopped once it hit someone, but spikes them while Shulk is given a second shot to recover. Unlikely and broken, but imagine the possibilities!

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Shulk's Neutral B Move seems to be A Kanji According to what the leak states One of them (I'll guess is red) Makes Shulk Deal out more damage but takes more damage While The Other (The Blue one) Makes Shulk take Less damage while he does Less damage to others.... In My Opinion It Seems like not a very useful move I can only see it becoming vital in certain situation
I don't know for sure, but if you ask me that move will pretty much define Shulk's playstyle.

Alright, in the Pokemon series, there is this pokemon called Aegislash. Large sword thing with a shield. Thing has the unique ability to switch stances. One stance, the shield stance, is the stance he always appears in first, and can be switched back to by using an attack-blocking move. The shield stance has very high defenses. The other stance is its polar opposite, raising its attack power to ludicrous levels. So generally what you want to do is try to predict when the opponent is going to make an attack, protect from it, buff if you won't be taking too much damage, and then attack with full power at the right moment. If you play it right, you are basically fighting with a pokemon that is very powerful on both the offensive and defensive side, very hard to deal with.

Now, I don't believe that the art change thing Shulk has will make his stats fluctate as heavily, so the results won't be as impressive. Still, in the hands of someone who can properly micromanage Shulk's arts he could suddenly become very difficult to beat. It depends on how the move works, though. If there truly are 5 arts, then they must be able to be selected without having to go through all the others of them first, and instead can all be selected seperately. I believe I believe Shulk was moving while switching arts, so that's already a plus.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
I don't know for sure, but if you ask me that move will pretty much define Shulk's playstyle.

Alright, in the Pokemon series, there is this pokemon called Aegislash. Large sword thing with a shield. Thing has the unique ability to switch stances. One stance, the shield stance, is the stance he always appears in first, and can be switched back to by using an attack-blocking move. The shield stance has very high defenses. The other stance is its polar opposite, raising its attack power to ludicrous levels. So generally what you want to do is try to predict when the opponent is going to make an attack, protect from it, buff if you won't be taking too much damage, and then attack with full power at the right moment. If you play it right, you are basically fighting with a pokemon that is very powerful on both the offensive and defensive side, very hard to deal with.

Now, I don't believe that the art change thing Shulk has will make his stats fluctate as heavily, so the results won't be as impressive. Still, in the hands of someone who can properly micromanage Shulk's arts he could suddenly become very difficult to beat. It depends on how the move works, though. If there truly are 5 arts, then they must be able to be selected without having to go through all the others of them first, and instead can all be selected seperately. I believe I believe Shulk was moving while switching arts, so that's already a plus.
Yeah, this stance thing is going to be great competitively. Know that your opponent is in the kill-zone? Switch to attack stance and catch them off guard. You're close to death? Switch to defense stance at the right time to get a better chance at recovery. Can't wait to play as him.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
I'm Still Excited to Play as Shulk But I never thought of the possibilities Mentioned so Its got me quite excited honestly! :)

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Shulk up B got me think how will it be on the ground, will it be the same or will it be a little different on the ground like link's up B, and what about his custom moves I'm looking forward to see his custom moves set will be.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Shulk up B got me think how will it be on the ground, will it be the same or will it be a little different on the ground like link's up B, and what about his custom moves I'm looking forward to see his custom moves set will be.
Oh Yeah! Wait.......It Said Shulk has 5 Different Mode Swaps We have 2 add in the 3 custom's ones and we get 5 the question is what will they do?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Does anyone else not really feel like Shulk is playable yet? The leak just didn't have the same impact as a trailer would.

I probably won't be able to fully feel excited until I see something official.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I haven't really commented on this yet, but may as well do so now:

Whilst I'd still like the leak to be proven the work of an elaborate god-tier troll (so I can get that sense of discovery when I first turn on the game) I am stoked that Shulk's in. Best. Thing. Ever.

Moveset leaves me feeling conflicted. Down-smash looks freaking awesome. Side-Smash (side-special?) Slit Edge is meh, but okay. Up-Special Dolphin Slash Air Slash looks wrong. I know that the real Air Slash would have an awkward hitbox, but I get the feeling people will pay him out for being a partial FE-clone. Let's hope that on-hit he'll auto-perform a secondary sideways hit (like ZSS now has) that looks more Air Slash-y. Shulk putting the Monado on his back all the time feels... kind of... wrong? Strange?

"Stances" should actually be alright in my eyes. As long as casual players don't go "Ugh, I don't get this guy, I hate him so much" (like my friends do to Olimar) it should lend some interesting gameplay to him, even if buff/debuff auras weren't Shulk's specialty.
I think I just feel that whilst this is all good news, the moveset doesn't feel entirely true to Shulk. But, that's based off about 30 seconds of gameplay so I'll reserve proper judgement for later.

I'm happy with Shulk's Up B. Air Slash was the only recovery that wouldn't look incredibly awkward and non-canon, imo. Sharing a move or two with other character's doesn't mean they'll play like them. Even if it does, being similar to Marth might even give him more play time in competitive and such (as an all time Marth main, I can't complain).

Him putting the Monado on his back and that jump are canon enough to satisfy me. Also, his down smash looks pretty cool and his range is just what I envisioned... get it?
Actually, that's something I didn't realise; his jump is actually correct! -1 for moveset accuracy, +1 for jump accuracy.

Does anyone else not really feel like Shulk is playable yet? The leak just didn't have the same impact as a trailer would.

Waiting for a trailer before I celebrate. Though I now think that all info from this point on will lack the same impact due to this leak.

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423

I feel the same way, actually. Like, it's the same way when i don't really "get" that a character is in the game until the announcer calls out their name in that announcerish way, it won't really set in that Shulk, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt Animals and all the other newcomers and vets are essentially confirmed until we get official word/trailers telling us so.

It almost feels like it's less a bunch of leaked info and more like an open secret that is technically still secret, like figuring out what a Christmas present is early but then still get excited come Christmas morning when you "officially" have gotten it.

Sooo...How about that sub-forum guys?
Is it time or do we have to wait for a trailer?
All content stated by any prematurely-discussed information will be subject to unofficial status until given proper word by said content's word-of-mouth. Besides, it'd be kinda vain of people if all the leaked characters got sub-forums before even being confirmed. :p

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Air Slash and Dolphin Slash may look similar, but that doesn't mean he's a clone (if that's the main thing people are going by).

We don't have all the details yet, but it's pretty clear that he'll very much be his own character. Final moveset or not.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Air Slash and Dolphin Slash may look similar, but that doesn't mean he's a clone (if that's the main thing people are going by).

We don't have all the details yet, but it's pretty clear that he'll very much be his own character. Final moveset or not.
Thanks.
Given how close we are to release, I'd say it's almost certainly his final moveset.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I have a feeling that whenever we get the next trailer (hopefully soon), Shulk will be highlight of it, maybe accompanied by a veteran.

GloriousV

Smash Cadet

Its completely normal to feel that way. The leaks are more like a quick tease than an actual reveal.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Whilst I'd still like the leak to be proven the work of an elaborate god-tier troll (so I can get that sense of discovery when I first turn on the game) I am stoked that Shulk's in. Best. Thing. Ever.

Moveset leaves me feeling conflicted. Down-smash looks freaking awesome. Side-Smash (side-special?) Slit Edge is meh, but okay. Up-Special Dolphin Slash Air Slash looks wrong. I know that the real Air Slash would have an awkward hitbox, but I get the feeling people will pay him out for being a partial FE-clone. Let's hope that on-hit he'll auto-perform a secondary sideways hit (like ZSS now has) that looks more Air Slash-y. Shulk putting the Monado on his back all the time feels... kind of... wrong? Strange?

"Stances" should actually be alright in my eyes. As long as casual players don't go "Ugh, I don't get this guy, I hate him so much" (like my friends do to Olimar) it should lend some interesting gameplay to him, even if buff/debuff auras weren't Shulk's specialty.
I think I just feel that whilst this is all good news, the moveset doesn't feel entirely true to Shulk. But, that's based off about 30 seconds of gameplay so I'll reserve proper judgement for later.

Actually, that's something I didn't realise; his jump is actually correct! -1 for moveset accuracy, +1 for jump accuracy.

Waiting for a trailer before I celebrate. Though I now think that all info from this point on will lack the same impact due to this leak.
I really hope slit edge isn't the side special, and I don't think it is. It really needs to be a Monado Art. Purge, Eater, or Buster would all be awesome, but I'm really hoping for purge. (Watch is be back slash.)

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I really hope slit edge isn't the side special, and I don't think it is. It really needs to be a Monado Art. Purge, Eater, or Buster would all be awesome, but I'm really hoping for purge. (Watch is be back slash.)
I'm hoping for Stream Edge, since I think it'd be odd to have Monado Arts mixed with regular Arts.

Actually, here's a thought...
Maybe Shulk walks around with the Monado on his back, but his Final Smash is Activate Monado; THEN he carries it around and it swaps his regular Arts for Monado Arts. Air Slash for Monado Cyclone. Change the side-special to something like Monado Purge or Monado Eater. Make the Vision-counter a huge finisher ending in Monado Buster. Wears off after time or after a successful Vision/counter.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Man, haven't been here in a while... last time was some weeks ago. Now there seem to be a bunch of new posters, and a lot of old ones seem to be gone... Things certainly have changed...

And speaking of sudden changes... Shulk confirmed for smash?! Didn't see that coming, at least not this way... But I am, of course, psyched, moreso than words can say.:chuckle: Congrats to all my fellow bronados, and may we all enjoy the all-Shulk online matches we will certainly be holding in the future!

Also, on his moveset, I am digging it. Not sure why the hate/mixed reactions... Sure, the upB looks like Marth's, but it's freaking Shulk using it! That's awesome! and it's only one move... I very much like the up tilt and Dsmash, and I'm sure his aerials will be interesting. And I think I like the idea of the neutral B incorporating attacks like Monado Buster better that just applying buffs. It'd feel more like the original game that way.

Regardless of how he turns out though, all I care about is that he's there.:) My roster hopes are now only one character away... Time to get excited!

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627

Agreed- Marth has been top tier in both games he's been in. I don't mind if Shulk shares two of his specials, as long as they're canon, which they are, being Air Slash and presumed Shadow Eye or a vision. Also, dat canon jump.

See, i WANT Shulk to be complicated- that will deter my friends from playing him so i can main him all day and no one can just pick him up and be good with him. Just one of the many reasons i loved Olimar in Brawl. And i don't think it's strange for him to put the Monado on his back after attacks- in Xenoblade, when you got out of range of an enemy, he would put it away...
Yeah, this stance thing is going to be great competitively. Know that your opponent is in the kill-zone? Switch to attack stance and catch them off guard. You're close to death? Switch to defense stance at the right time to get a better chance at recovery. Can't wait to play as him.
You just got me even more hype. I didn't even know that was possible. :love:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Man, haven't been here in a while... last time was some weeks ago. Now there seem to be a bunch of new posters, and a lot of old ones seem to be gone... Things certainly have changed...

And speaking of sudden changes... Shulk confirmed for smash?! Didn't see that coming, at least not this way... But I am, of course, psyched, moreso than words can say.:chuckle: Congrats to all my fellow bronados, and may we all enjoy the all-Shulk online matches we will certainly be holding in the future!

Also, on his moveset, I am digging it. Not sure why the hate/mixed reactions... Sure, the upB looks like Marth's, but it's freaking Shulk using it! That's awesome! and it's only one move... I very much like the up tilt and Dsmash, and I'm sure his aerials will be interesting. And I think I like the idea of the neutral B incorporating attacks like Monado Buster better that just applying buffs. It'd feel more like the original game that way.

Regardless of how he turns out though, all I care about is that he's there.:) My roster hopes are now only one character away... Time to get excited!
Last time I remember you being around was when I joined - most of those people are sitting in a private convo because everyone got stupidly off-topic on this thread, I think let @KingofZeroX know if you want in.

And you're completely right. I do feel a little mixed, but I'm warming up to it. Shulk in Smash is what I've wanted for three years straight - I can't complain when I'm finally getting what I've wanted for so long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom