• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
So, @Xenado, the guy who tweeted that to Adam Howden, desperately wants to be unbanned. And he did give us a good, almost certain confirmation of Shulk, so, on behalf of this, guy, would a mod consider unbanning this guy? Or at least shortening the sentence? He desperately wants to post here before school starts for him. No Bronado left behind.

Last edited:

Dicex

Smash Rookie
Well... This confirms Shulk it's just the matter of time when Sakurai confirms him.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
So there was some talk about Shulk being an Ike clone earlier? Well, I think Shulk could actually work as an Ike semi-clone. Give him better reach and less knockback, different up and neutral specials and a new Final Smash. Ike's side special could work as Monado Speed, and Counter could work as a vision. Maybe change his neutral attack, dash, up smash and up aerial. It's nowhere near as good as a talent gauge/original moveset Shulk, but as long as Shulk is in, I will be pleased (even as a Pichu clone)

Edit: Didn't something with Krystal's VA happened back in Brawl speculation? We shouldn't put too much faith in tweets right now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

... This confirms everything... Right guys ?
Well, there's a loophole here.
We now know that he is in Smash. We don't know if he is actually playable or not.
I guess I could take this as some confirmation that he is in the game in some form.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So there was some talk about Shulk being an Ike clone earlier? Well, I think Shulk could actually work as an Ike semi-clone. Give him better reach and less knockback, different up and neutral specials and a new Final Smash. Ike's side special could work as Monado Speed, and Counter could work as a vision. Maybe change his neutral attack, dash, up smash and up aerial. It's nowhere near as good as a talent gauge/original moveset Shulk, but as long as Shulk is in, I will be pleased (even as a Pichu clone)
I don't even want to entertain this possibility. Don't give people like ThisAnvil (Who hate the character for being "Just another sword character." any ammo.

It's going to be art-switch Shulk, or something else original or he's not going to be in the game. I'm going to say what i've said before:

1. Sakurai wouldn't add Shulk in, or the Xenoblade series if he didn't bring something as unique as the other newcomers to the game. Seriously. Look at the clones and semi-clones. Do any of them represent a new series by themselves? "Anything can happen", but seriously.

2. Even if that image of the gameplay is legit, Shulk's feet are not in the same position as Ike's, and I think it's a grab rather than a jab animation. IN EITHER CASE, if they shared a skeleton, I'm pretty sure Ragnell is part of Ike's model, and he holds it, so why is the Monado on Shulk's back? And Captain Falcon and Little Mac share crouch animations, buried animations, etc. despite having entirely different movesets, so one shared animation for something that isn't even a 100% match is not a big deal.

3. If Sakurai was going to make Shulk an "Ike Semi-clone", he wouldn't have made the argument against Chrom that he'd be too similar to Marth and Ike. He even decided to not even try to include Chrom for that very reason, and went with Robin for what he could offer.

4. It'd be kind of a slap in the face to Monolith Soft, #1 Nintendo first party subsidiary who's gotten to work on Brawl, Zelda (unlike ANY other first party subsidiary), etc. to tell them that their only character/series addition who has a goddamn futuresight magitech sword with magic powers brings about as much uniqueness as the guy who swings around a greatsword. (I love Ike.)

So no. Shulk may share an animation or two because of general human qualities, but there's no way he's going to be a clone.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I don't even want to entertain this possibility. Don't give people like ThisAnvil (Who hate the character for being "Just another sword character." any ammo.

It's going to be art-switch Shulk, or something else original or he's not going to be in the game. I'm going to say what i've said before:

1. Sakurai wouldn't add Shulk in, or the Xenoblade series if he didn't bring something as unique as the other newcomers to the game. Seriously. Look at the clones and semi-clones. Do any of them represent a new series by themselves? "Anything can happen", but seriously.

2. Even if that image of the gameplay is legit, Shulk's feet are not in the same position as Ike's, and I think it's a grab rather than a jab animation. IN EITHER CASE, if they shared a skeleton, I'm pretty sure Ragnell is part of Ike's model, and he holds it, so why is the Monado on Shulk's back? And Captain Falcon and Little Mac share crouch animations, buried animations, etc. despite having entirely different movesets, so one shared animation for something that isn't even a 100% match is not a big deal.

3. If Sakurai was going to make Shulk an "Ike Semi-clone", he wouldn't have made the argument against Chrom that he'd be too similar to Marth and Ike. He even decided to not even try to include Chrom for that very reason, and went with Robin for what he could offer.

4. It'd be kind of a slap in the face to Monolith Soft, #1 Nintendo first party subsidiary who's gotten to work on Brawl, Zelda (unlike ANY other first party subsidiary), etc. to tell them that their only character/series addition who has a goddamn futuresight magitech sword with magic powers brings about as much uniqueness as the guy who swings around a greatsword. (I love Ike.)

So no. Shulk may share an animation or two because of general human qualities, but there's no way he's going to be a clone.
I'm just saying that it could work without butchering Shulk's character too much. There's too small a chance of something like that happening.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm just saying that it could work without butchering Shulk's character too much. There's too small a chance of something like that happening.
I know, but I just want to nip it in the bud before people start thinking it could realistically happen.

FiXalaS

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
4293-9334-7517
I'd say Adam faving that tweet = Shulk secured.

as playable..? I kinda wish the tweet had the word "playable" in it. gaah

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
No doubt Shulk's a character, if you ask me. The only question is if there are any more newcomers.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I hate to be the devil's advocate, but let's be careful guys. For all we know Adam could have favorited that treat because he appreciates the support of his fans, whether Shulk is playable or not.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
I hate to be the devil's advocate, but let's be careful guys. For all we know Adam could have favorited that treat because he appreciates the support of his fans, whether Shulk is playable or not.
As much as I want to disagree with you, you're right. If you build up a lot of hope and anticipate his reveal, if he gets disconfirmed, you would be majorly disappointed.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yeah, I wouldn't take a favorite post as a confirmation. On one hand, it could be the "subtle hint" the fan asked for, and on the other hand, it could just be a voice actor expressing joy at seeing people who love his work.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Well, there's a loophole here.
We now know that he is in Smash. We don't know if he is actually playable or not.
I guess I could take this as some confirmation that he is in the game in some form.
I'm not taking this as confirmation, but, Why else we he know if Shulk was in Smash? If he was an AT or something wouldn't they just re-use some voice clips? I highly doubt they'd notify him if his voice was in the game due to how stuff works. I'm pretty sure they "own" his voice clips wouldn't they?

AncientBaby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AncientBaby
3DS FC
4854-6493-8093
I'm not taking this as confirmation, but, Why else we he know if Shulk was in Smash? If he was an AT or something wouldn't they just re-use some voice clips? I highly doubt they'd notify him if his voice was in the game due to how stuff works. I'm pretty sure they "own" his voice clips wouldn't they?
In an earlier tweet, he said that he was working on some new stuff, implying that it's new recordings for smash whatever this mysterious vidya game is. I would assume that they don't go through the trouble of recording new samples for AT's. We know they didn't record a new sample for Chrom's exclamation in Robin's FS, so I'd assume it would be the same for AT's.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

Just keep in mind it's still a pretty real possibility Shulk will share similar moves with other characters, but that more so has to do with the nature of Super Smash Bros. somewhat encouraging that sort of thing. Unlike other fighting games, Super Smash Bros. has a universal moveset layout for every character, meaning all characters will have three smash attacks, five aerial attacks, four special attacks, and so on. This of course causes attacks to start blending into each other due to the general functionality of how attacks work. For example, Greninja, Samus, and Captain Falcon sharing similar forward tilts, while Pac-Man, Kirby, and Bowser share similar back aerials. Though it becomes more complex when you dissect the overall properties, and suddenly you discover subtle differences ranging from the angle the attack knocks the opponent away to how much lag before and after execution.

In this case, Shulk having a jab isn't special, as there are a lot of character that utilizes a standard jab as a neutral attack. Mario, Sonic, Fox, Captain Falcon, Kirby, Ike, Pac-Man, and so on utilize a jab. Having a jab isn't bad in particular either, since jabs are useful for preforming techniques like jab resets, due to how fast those attacks normally execute.

tl;dr

Don't fret if Shulk shares some similar attacks with other characters, because that isn't anything special.

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
As much as I want to disagree with you, you're right. If you build up a lot of hope and anticipate his reveal, if he gets disconfirmed, you would be majorly disappointed.
I can handle it, dw :3

Killswitch0078

Smash Rookie
Yeah I mean what if we build up all this hype and then Riki gets confirmed instead.
Riki with the monado riding in on Dinobeast Ridley.
(I am at maximum overhype right now. I have ascended beyond normal hype. I just got past Valak Mountain, and oh god I need Shulk, or ANY Xenoblade character in.)

Super hype moment in Xenoblade was when
The shackles were broken then **** got intense and real

THE PEOPLE OF BIONIS WILL NEVER LET YOU TRIUMPH

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAdhiasjdklsjadkLDJKaslA

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945

I also think the supposed jab is actually a grab.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Just keep in mind it's still a pretty real possibility Shulk will share similar moves with other characters, but that more so has to do with the nature of Super Smash Bros. somewhat encouraging that sort of thing. Unlike other fighting games, Super Smash Bros. has a universal moveset layout for every character, meaning all characters will have three smash attacks, five aerial attacks, four special attacks, and so on. This of course causes attacks to start blending into each other due to the general functionality of how attacks work. For example, Greninja, Samus, and Captain Falcon sharing similar forward tilts, while Pac-Man, Kirby, and Bowser share similar back aerials. Though it becomes more complex when you dissect the overall properties, and suddenly you discover subtle differences ranging from the angle the attack knocks the opponent away to how much lag before and after execution.

In this case, Shulk having a jab isn't special, as there are a lot of character that utilizes a standard jab as a neutral attack. Mario, Sonic, Fox, Captain Falcon, Kirby, Ike, Pac-Man, and so on utilize a jab. Having a jab isn't bad in particular either, since jabs are useful for preforming techniques like jab resets, due to how fast those attacks normally execute.

tl;dr

Don't fret if Shulk shares some similar attacks with other characters, because that isn't anything special.
I know, in fact I was more using that very concept as a point that having a similar move doesn't mean he's obviously going to be a clone.

Unless that's what you were doing, making a general statement, rather than responding to my post in particular. Sorry for the confusion if so!

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
No post in 2 hours? I'll change that...Um..

What taunts should Shulk have? What re-colors? What alts? What should his entrance be?

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Just copy paste Ike's taunts :troll:
Sorry guys, Ike's Character Select screen character portrait is just Ike's. The literal only thing that distinguishes Shulk from Ike is that Ike doesn't hold the monado.

[British Accent] "I fight for my friends"

Hm, that's strange? I just plopped that leak photo on Ike with out doing much and it just kind of...Fits, like, same bone structure?

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So I said something in the social convo yesterday:

Now I'm imagining Adam reading Smash related tweets, favoriting them and then giggling to himself.

How can some people dislike the English voice acting in Xenoblade? My brain can't cope with that.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Basically, a guy replied to a Youtube video about the leaks with the following info.

- Shulk's B special changes his kanji (Monado). Red kanji make his hands glow, while blue kanji make his feet glow.
- His up special is like Marth's
- His down special is a counter

(I omitted the other part about Bowser Jr and Ganondorf since it isn't relevant to the thread)

What do you guys think about the hands/feet glowing?

All I can think of is a Monado Speed mode and maybe an aggro mode, although it would make more sense if his feet were red like in Xenoblade. It could also be more of an offensive/defensive mode switch.

Not saying this is real, just posting it for more move set speculation/discussion. If those Up and Down specials turn out to be real I'll be a little disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom