• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I think people are kinda underestimating Shulks supporter base in the west.
Also, this:

Neyn is late to the party.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
In fact, if anything, it seems like Matt Mercer wasn't lying when he said he wouldn't be voicing Chrom as a PC in Smash 4. So frankly there were things against Chrom, which there aren't for Shulk.

Actually, being really real here, I don't see why there's literally anything that makes Shulk less likely. It's not like he and Robin share similar styles or even appearances. The hair is similar(ish), but it's not the same color, and hell, Ike and Marth have the same hair color. So do many other characters. They got in.

If hair style is the only reason Shulk's chances are down, I'm just going to sit here and laugh. Even without Gematsu (which I still think may know something about Shulk and/or Rhythm Heaven. Shulk isn't a character Sakurai would've dropped, because unlike Chrom, there's no competition.)

Now I'm not going to say everythings for certain, because if we didn't learn our lesson on #MonadoMonday, we never will. However, I really don't see how after today, Shulk's chances are any less than they already were.

I will say today helped the boss reptiles significantly, however!
The only characters that were hurt by the Robin reveal were Roy and MAYBE Isaac (being a sword and sorcery type, although his magic and sword fighting would both be very different.) Well, and Chrom of course, and Shulk and Chorus men took a hit since the "leak" took a hit, and every other character benefited from that same hit.

Hey guys, sorry if this was asked, but I would like to know:

Who would be the best unconfirmed veteran to be revealed alongside Shulk? Who would fit best alongside Shulk?
Snake would be fun, I'd like to see how the Monado matches up against Metal Gears. Also Mewtwo, if Shulk can take on Telethia then Mewtwo should be a fun match up. Would Monado Purge work on him?

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
The only characters that were hurt by the Robin reveal were Roy and MAYBE Isaac (being a sword and sorcery type, although his magic and sword fighting would both be very different.) Well, and Chrom of course, and Shulk and Chorus men took a hit since the "leak" took a hit, and every other character benefited from that same hit.
Well, atleast Shulks hit was pretty minor considering all the other evidence we have stockpiled.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Well, atleast Shulks hit was pretty minor considering all the other evidence we have stockpiled.
It's odd how often I've seen stuff like "Shulk is dead!" in areas other than this thread merely because Gematsu fell through. Despite the fact that he was highly likely before Gematsu... I'm still under the impression he didn't take the hit. People's expectations took it for him.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
It's odd how often I've seen stuff like "Shulk is dead!" in areas other than this thread merely because Gematsu fell through. Despite the fact that he was highly likely before Gematsu... I'm still under the impression he didn't take the hit. People's expectations took it for him.
Hahaha, I actually saw a comment on Youtube yesterday that said: "I wish to drink the salty tears of the people who wanted Shulk confirmed today.", even though this support thread is like the least salty thread ever.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Hahaha, I actually saw a comment on Youtube yesterday that said: "I wish to drink the salty tears of the people who wanted Shulk confirmed today.", even though this support thread is like the least salty thread ever.
It's like the Grinch "stole" Christmas, but we're still singing anyway, you know? In fact, because Gematsu fell through, we actually have more supporters. Crazy, huh?

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
It's like the Grinch "stole" Christmas, but we're still singing anyway, you know? In fact, because Gematsu fell through, we actually have more supporters. Crazy, huh?
I actually signed up here because Shulk was not the reveal! Shulk needs more supporters now because everyone is fair game in being revealed again due to Gematsu failing.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

I knew I would use this someday!

Shyolk

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shyolk
3DS FC
4957-3860-4390
I've finally caught up with the thread.
Because Shulk is one of the characters people are most anticipated for, I feel like it makes sense he's announced in the launch trailer. :shades: I'll still wait out on August though. I don't know if I'm patient enough to wait if his reveal is before the launch.

I read there was some sort of support group for Shulk and I'd like to join!

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I honestly think people are underestimating Shulk's popularity.

I don't like discussing other characters in this thread, but I feel like I need to get this out there.

As far as remaining potential new comers popularity goes:

1.) K. Rool - super popular everywhere
2.) Ridley - mostly popular in the West, but SUPER popular because of it
3.) Dixie - Her popularity will go up or down depending on whether or not K. Rool gets in, but she is popular in her own right.

4.) or 5.) Shulk - Seriously. He is fairly popular in the West, but he is only this high because he is insanely requested in Japan.
4.) or 5.) Isaac - More popular pick in the West, but only some what supported in Japan. Arguably could be put at number 4 due to him having a large following in Europe and North America. It's close between these two in any case.

6.) Everyone else.

A couple of notes -

I don't consider Mewtwo a newcomer, but he is INSANELY popular and would be number 1 on the list. He needs buffs and tweaks, but at the end of the day it is not anymore difficult to import him from melee then it is to import Metaknight from Brawl.

Mario still has a lot of popular newcomer options, but with Rosalina getting in and clone Lucina opening the door for Doctor Mario's return, I don't see it happening.

Zelda is due a newcomer, but the fan base is very split on who that should be, so I don't know where to rank one popularity wise.

I still see a decent amount of requests for Krystal, so she should probably get a special mention.

I should post this in the character thread, lol.

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189

This. I want this. In HD. With music....*drools*
I would love to see this in action..not to mention the leak being deconfirmed may be a bad thing but think about how much more hype shulks trailer will be is he's gets confirmed now that it's not a definite.

Honestly this could be the best one yet.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I honestly think people are underestimating Shulk's popularity.

I don't like discussing other characters in this thread, but I feel like I need to get this out there.

As far as remaining potential new comers popularity goes:

1.) K. Rool - super popular everywhere
2.) Ridley - mostly popular in the West, but SUPER popular because of it
3.) Dixie - Her popularity will go up or down depending on whether or not K. Rool gets in, but she is popular in her own right.

4.) or 5.) Shulk - Seriously. He is fairly popular in the West, but he is only this high because he is insanely requested in Japan.
4.) or 5.) Isaac - More popular pick in the West, but only some what supported in Japan. Arguably could be put at number 4 due to him having a large following in Europe and North America. It's close between these two in any case.

6.) Everyone else.

A couple of notes -

I don't consider Mewtwo a newcomer, but he is INSANELY popular and would be number 1 on the list. He needs buffs and tweaks, but at the end of the day it is not anymore difficult to import him from melee then it is to import Metaknight from Brawl.

Mario still has a lot of popular newcomer options, but with Rosalina getting in and clone Lucina opening the door for Doctor Mario's return, I don't see it happening.

Zelda is due a newcomer, but the fan base is very split on who that should be, so I don't know where to rank one popularity wise.

I still see a decent amount of requests for Krystal, so she should probably get a special mention.

I should post this in the character thread, lol.
I agree with this, and Shulks popularity is steadily rising here in the west I would say.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Shulk is definitely getting more popular as the release date of smash nears. Interesting how most of the people who showed up for the Shulk hype are gone, but I'm glad we've seen a large boost in both support and activity. This probably became one of the most popular character threads in the past few days.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Shulk is definitely getting more popular as the release date of smash nears. Interesting how most of the people who showed up for the Shulk hype are gone, but I'm glad we've seen a large boost in both support and activity. This probably became one of the most popular character threads in the past few days.
I don't think they are gone necessarily, most of them are probably really drained after this hype weekend.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Hey, look guys! It was a fake out the whole time. Shulk's just wearing a different outfit, that's all. I even managed to get a hold of a totally legit screenshot!
whatiswrongwithme.png

We can also see some more differences. That was never a book Shulk was reading! It was Riki, the Legendary Heropon! And Reyn makes an appearance as an alt costume for Shulk, though he holds the Banado instead of the Monado. Hope you guys look forward to when this is all officially revealed!
this is by far the worst photoshop I have ever done. Also, I do like Robin, and I think Shulk will have a very good chance of being in later. It's just that I couldn't resist making this joke.
you may also notice that I snuck in the Reynapple from earlier just because.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I'm more so drained by the fact that the trailer disappointed me, with the exception of FALCOOOOOOOOOON.
Well, i'm also drained by the fact that Lucina is the biggest clone smash has ever seen. But Falcon was really hype.
Hey, look guys! It was a fake out the whole time. Shulk's just wearing a different outfit, that's all. I even managed to get a hold of a totally legit screenshot!
View attachment 18277
We can also see some more differences. That was never a book Shulk was reading! It was Riki, the Legendary Heropon! And Reyn makes an appearance as an alt costume for Shulk, though he holds the Banado instead of the Monado. Hope you guys look forward to when this is all officially revealed!
this is by far the worst photoshop I have ever done. Also, disclaimer: I do like Robin, and I think Shulk will have a very good chance of being in later. It's just that I couldn't resist making this joke.
I actually thought that he would take of his hood and Shulks face would be there instead of Robin. The denial was strong.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Robin was the next best thing for me after Shulk so I was really excited. Lucina though is a real kill joy. I loved Awakening and Lucina, but honestly I think she was put in just to add another female character to the game. That trailer also made me release how bothered I'll be if Shulk ends up as a clone, although I highly doubt he will.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Robin was the next best thing for me after Shulk so I was really excited. Lucina though is a real kill joy. I loved Awakening and Lucina, but honestly I think she was put in just to add another female character to the game. That trailer also made me release how bothered I'll be if Shulk ends up as a clone, although I highly doubt he will.
Yeah, Robin is cool and was my pick for a Fire emblem rep. Shulk is NOT going to be a clone. There is just no possible way since he is so unique.

Last edited:

Shyolk

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shyolk
3DS FC
4957-3860-4390
Maybe I'm the only one who liked Lucina... ah well.
Have any of you seen this? It came up not long ago on my Twitter. I've (hopefully) put it under a spoiler because the images are big.

I suppose it's a little more information about Lucina.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I don't think we have to worry at all about Shulk being a clone. Ten out of the eleven characters we have so far are incredibly unique; the only one who isn't spent a good third of her game impersonating the guy she's a clone of. She makes perfect sense to be a clone, whereas Shulk does not.
Hey, I was very happy to see her as well! I'd've been annoyed if she were the only FE newcomer, but she got in alongside Robin, so I can't really complain about "taking anyone's slot." To me, she was the icing on the FE cake.

Last edited:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
@ Shyolk Shyolk That's basically confirmation of everyone's worst nightmare which makes Lucina the biggest clone in smash history. Unless of course there's more to this, which I hope.

@ GuyWithTheFace GuyWithTheFace You're right. I guess it kind of makes sense that Lucina is a clone since it is true to her game in a way.

Worst case scenario....
Shulk is a clone of captain falcon and Ganondorf...neutral B...MONADDDDOOOOO BUSSSSTEERRRR

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Have any of you seen this? It came up not long ago on my Twitter.

I suppose it's a little more information about Lucina.
I like Lucina! I don't mind her being a clone since I'll probably end up playing her anyway.
@ Shyolk Shyolk That's basically confirmation of everyone's worst nightmare which makes Lucina the biggest clone in smash history. Unless of course there's more to this, which I hope.
Sakurai said:
However, whenever there is even a small difference in abilities, that character gets an actual roster slot. That is why you can select Lucina individually.
There's going to be something else about this. I mean, why wouldn't there be?
As for the matter with Shulk...
Why would this happen? And how would this happen? Who could he ever possibly be a clone of?

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I like Lucina! I don't mind her being a clone since I'll probably end up playing her anyway.
As for the matter with Shulk...

Why would this happen? And how would this happen? Who could he ever possibly be a clone of?
He would be a clone of marth. :troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, i'm also drained by the fact that Lucina is the biggest clone smash has ever seen. But Falcon was really hype.
I always interpret Lucina as a freebie from the developers, a relatively late addition that basically catered to those that like her while at the same time not draining away resouces. Robin was clearly the main attraction to begin with, and Chrom being basically one big jab at his rather controversal speculation.

I suppose my main problem more so has to do with me having a brief moment of excitement with "Monado Purge" being used on Captain Falcon, but instead I get Robin which I never really cared about and on top of that has a "improvise weapon" gimmick similar to Platinum the Trinity that makes me worried about it being unorthodox due to past failures of making gimmicks.

Last edited:

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
I think I know what went through Sakurai's mind within the Fire Emblem reveal.
3 main characters from Awakening, his number 1 pick is Robin. (Because Tactician, unique than any other FE rep)
But Robin is an avatar so if neither Lucina or Chrom makes it in fans will probably be mad at him. So Robin was given a +1, which he picked to be Lucina because Chrom would be 'another blue-haired swordsman' and at least she will be a female representative.
If Robin was actually a character of his/her own probably he/she would've made it alone. Idk haha :(
@ Solfiner Solfiner ...Shulks got to wait in line

We should make a Shulk version of this
Blonde Marth with Laser Sword? :D

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I always interpret Lucina as a freebie from the developers, a relatively late addition that basically catered to those that like her while at the same time not draining away resouces. Robin was clearly the main attraction to begin with, and Chrom being basically one big jab at his rather controversal speculation.

I suppose my main problem more so has to do with me having a brief moment of excitement with "Monado Purge" being used on Captain Falcon, but instead I get Robin which I never really cared about and on top of that has a "improvise weapon" gimmick similar to Platinum the Trinity that makes me worried about it being unorthodox due to past failures of making gimmicks.
Yeah, the Monado purge thing made me really salty. And you bring up a good point about Lucina, which makes the whole clone bit easier to swallow.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
@ Makrrrrrr Makrrrrrr Can I just say that I keep reading your name as Mumbkar for some reason.

I'm just psyched Robin is in. Going to main him along with Shulk and Palutena.

Can someone please photoshop the Marthnado?

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
@ Makrrrrrr Makrrrrrr Can I just say that I keep reading your name as Mumbkar for some reason.

I'm just psyched Robin is in. Going to main him along with Shulk and Palutena.

Can someone please photoshop the Marthnado?
I'm on it.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
I noticed there's less than half of the amount of people here today than yesterday. I guess you could say people came expecting us to...
SULK
imsorrythatwasterribleshowmethedoor

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice

I agree. People wouldn't like if it was only Robin that was revealed, so they threw Lucina into the mix, maybe they said better her than Chrom cuz anotherbluehairedswordsmanlol

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Marthnado.png

This was just as bad as I thought it would be.
EDIT: I just realized, those brown things in the gaps of the Monado look like a toupee.

Last edited:

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
So guys, I don't really know if this has been discussed here, but what possible ITEMS can be a Xenoblade representation? Riki's biter? Sharla's rifle that heals/deals damage? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom