• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Shulk is definitely my favourite JRPG hero when it comes to personality and his development as a character.

I've probably said this dozens of times by now but it was so refreshing to have a main character who wasn't all angst and bravado. Instead Shulk was a thinker, he thought about how to do things instead of being cocky and thinking he could do whatever he wanted.

Isaac from Golden Sun is kinda similar in that regard, being a silent protagonist probably helped but I never felt like Isaac was a typical jrpg protagonist either.
I totally agree with how you think of Shulk. He never just ran ahead into battle (unless FIOOOOORAAAAAH!) and thought out what to do next without trying to do anything impossible.

Even Reyn, who is portrayed as a knucklehead, wasn't all brawn and no brains.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What you guys said about Shulk, I agree with. He likes to think his battles through and he only strikes when necessary. I admire Shulk as a character since he is nothing like the typical JRPG hero; he is a likable main protagonist and one that someone could relate to. He knows his limits and he does whatever he can to prevent what is seen to be the inevitable.

Speaking of which... no one has posted this yet?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
What you guys said about Shulk, I agree with. He likes to think his battles through and he only strikes when necessary. I admire Shulk as a character since he is nothing like the typical JRPG hero; he is a likable main protagonist and one that someone could relate to. He knows his limits and he does whatever he can to prevent what is seen to be the inevitable.
The way you said that makes Shulk sound like Robin.

Then again... They are kind of similar...

D

Deleted member

The way you said that makes Shulk sound like Robin.

Then again... They are kind of similar...
The amount of similarities these two is actually a bit surprising when you think about their qualities, but I like both characters for that reason. They are smart characters who don't just rush in to do whatever. They don't think that they are the most powerful person ever, they know their limits, and they know that they couldn't have made it far without the help of their friends.

I was a bit tempted to name Robin "Shulk" in my second playthrough of Awakening... but I decided against it. Admittedly, I actually read some of Robin's quotes in a British accent.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
The amount of similarities these two is actually a bit surprising when you think about their qualities, but I like both characters for that reason. They are smart characters who don't just rush in to do whatever. They don't think that they are the most powerful person ever, they know their limits, and they know that they couldn't have made it far without the help of their friends.

I was a bit tempted to name Robin "Shulk" in my second playthrough of Awakening... but I decided against it. Admittedly, I actually read some of Robin's quotes in a British accent.
We need to convince Adam Howden to do a dramatic reading of Robin's lines. And maybe get whoever does Fiora or Melia to do Fem!Robin.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
We need to convince Adam Howden to do a dramatic reading of Robin's lines. And maybe get whoever does Fiora or Melia to do Fem!Robin.
Seven's actor can read Lucina's lines... And Melia's actor can voice Tharja. :troll:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Good luck getting Jenna Coleman (Melia). She's a bit busy being the Doctor's companion at the moment :troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just watched 20 or so episodes of Chuggaaconroy's Xenoblade LP, and it really sold me on Shulk. Maybe the mention of Xenoblade in the music section means something, or all those tweets I keep hearing about. The Monado needs its chance!

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice
Add me to the supporters.

I previously wanted Ghirahim more, but with him gone, Shulk's my #1 want. Xenoblade is probs my favorite video game.

Oh, by the way, Riki and Alvis are the best Xenoblade characters. It's a proven statistic.

everyone said:
I h8 juju
Why, exactly? I don't really give a crap about him myself, but I never had a problem with the kid. No Xenoblade characters come to mind that I outright disliked.

D

Deleted member

Seven's actor can read Lucina's lines... And Melia's actor can voice Tharja. :troll:
So, technically I shipped Shulk and Melia in both my playthroughs and future playthroughs? Cool. (because I like having Robin marry Tharja)

I just watched 20 or so episodes of Chuggaaconroy's Xenoblade LP, and it really sold me on Shulk. Maybe the mention of Xenoblade in the music section means something, or all those tweets I keep hearing about. The Monado needs its chance!
Definitely watch more of the LP! You are in for a treat!
Hopefully the Monado will lend its power to Shulk in Smash. We keep having these Visions, but we dunno if they will be true or not...

It's actually odd since Shulk describes these Visions as seeing people and places that he's never seen. They are confusing at first... but he knows more as the event gets closer. This is basically happening right now with Shulk and Smash; we have possible hints and everything that suggests that he's in Smash, but we don't know for sure...

Add me to the supporters.

I previously wanted Ghirahim more, but with him gone, Shulk's my #1 want. Xenoblade is probs my favorite video game.

Oh, by the way, Riki and Alvis are the best Xenoblade characters. It's a proven statistic.
Welcome aboard!

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
So, technically I shipped Shulk and Melia in both my playthroughs and future playthroughs? Cool. (because I like having Robin marry Tharja)

Definitely watch more of the LP! You are in for a treat!
Hopefully the Monado will lend its power to Shulk in Smash. We keep having these Visions, but we dunno if they will be true or not...

It's actually odd since Shulk describes these Visions as seeing people and places that he's never seen. They are confusing at first... but he knows more as the event gets closer. This is basically happening right now with Shulk and Smash; we have possible hints and everything that suggests that he's in Smash, but we don't know for sure...

Welcome aboard!
what if that is sakurai's great plan with shulk to begin with

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
The Doctor wouldn't be "voice acting", it's not animated xD

D: *is a huge fan*

Anyway, on topic, I feel like this is a good week coming up. Maybe this is our golden opportunity?
monadomonday2.0?

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
When the hell is the next Nintendo Direct??
I mean seriously, it's been well over 2 months since E3.
well we had robin too before E3 remember

Edit: but yeah we are less then 20 days till japan's release so yeah we are due one any day now

Last edited:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Thinking about it, excluding weekends, we have 15 days until September 12th. 15 days for Shulk's reveal. I think it'll be in the last 5 days, able to hype up Japan as much as possible right before release.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
well we had robin too before E3 remember

Edit: but yeah we are less then 20 days till japan's release so yeah we are due one any day now
I just want to see some more Xenoblade X or, maybe, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. A Shulk reveal would just be the cherry on top.:awesome:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
Thinking about it, excluding weekends, we have 15 days until September 12th. 15 days for Shulk's reveal. I think it'll be in the last 5 days, able to hype up Japan as much as possible right before release.
I've been saying that since day one and I called greninja so do not doubt my skills to read sakurai only a crazy person can read a crazy person

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully. I can't see the newcomer for a previously unrepresented series being a mere post-release reveal. I don't recall, has that ever occurred before?

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Hopefully. I can't see the newcomer for a previously unrepresented series being a mere post-release reveal. I don't recall, has that ever occurred before?
I don't know if people counted Game and Watch for Melee.

Edit: I know I'm forgetting someone, but I can't remember who it is...

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

You're forgetting a few.

-Both Shulk and Robin fight against foes who claim everything to be predestined, standing by the belief that anything can change and that they decide their own future.

-Both are able to see the future to some degree.

And...

-Both are the vessels of evil gods who wish to bring about the end of the world, and both ultimately oppose their respective gods to change their futures.

Last edited:
When the hell is the next Nintendo Direct??
I mean seriously, it's been well over 2 months since E3.
Mid-september

Off topic but jesus, what the **** is with this (not mentioning their names) guys? They launched some DDoS attack on PSN then they're planning to go for XBL next. Oh ****. Is Nintendo Network gonna get wrekt? Oh and these guys also diverted a flight plan for a Sony rep. He claimed that there were bombs on his plane so the plane needed to make a quick landing and a government investigation. ****, this is getting out of hand

(Edit) Got a bit worried. Decided to cross out their names.

Last edited:

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice
Ness in 64, Marth and Roy in Melee. All 3 were secret.
I wouldn't say Ness counts due to it being the first game, but you got me with the FE guys. I just hope Sakurai doesn't do that again.

I don't know if people counted Game and Watch for Melee.

Edit: I know I'm forgetting someone, but I can't remember who it is...
There was ROB, but him being a real life cameo probably doesn't count. :p
I would count Game and Watch, not sure about ROB. As said, he's not really from a series.

D

Deleted member

You're forgetting a few.

-Both Shulk and Robin fight against foes who claim everything to be predestined, standing by the belief that anything can change and that they decide their own future.

-Both are able to see the future to some degree.

And...

-Both are the vessels of evil gods who wish to bring about the end of the world, and both ultimately oppose their respective gods to change their futures.
It's intriguing how many similarities these two share.
It makes me want to see these two fight even more. It's basically the fight between two geniuses fighting for their own future. I just hope that the future of Shulk in Smash belongs to him so that we can experience it.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's intriguing how many similarities these two share.
It makes me want to see these two fight even more. It's basically the fight between two geniuses fighting for their own future. I just hope that the future of Shulk in Smash belongs to him so that we can experience it.
There's also the fact that both are the main characters (well, I suppose some would debate Robin's status) of huge, recent, high-quality RPG games. It's only natural for them to clash.

Honestly, being able to have those two stars of amazing RPGs duke it out one-on-one is one of the reasons I want Shulk in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom