• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

yani

Smash Lord
Shulk scored third place in a big gamefaqs poll. He only lost to Mewtwo and Mega Man. FAQS, I am impressed.

:phone:

yani

Smash Lord
A user was running a poll with the most popular newcomers and it was by process of elimination (there was a new poll every day).

Here's a link to the finale where it says Shulk was eliminated http://m.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/63850935

So he came in third but I believe he came in first on some of the polls. I'll try to find one that shows his results

Edit: He won Round 5 (The other Mega Man votes were after the poll ended) , He came in second in the poll after that (he beat Mewtwo, lost to Mega Man) and I could have sworn he won Round 2 but I might be wrong on that

slambros

Smash Ace
I will say that the sword that Shulk wields (it's called the Monado, right?) can bring him multiple gameplay options. He deserves a spot.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
This poll is a little odd. So it's like musical chairs. The one with the fewest votes gets knocked out. Or do they only take a certain number of top voted characters?

yani

Smash Lord
I'm exactly sure how it worked (I don't post there) but what I noticed was there was always around 4 or 5 top characters and a few random (or troll) characters and the ones with the least votes would be swapped out and eventually eliminated. Pretty cool to see Shulk hold up though :bee:

yani

Smash Lord
Sorry to double, but Venus made some nice Shulk alts that would be cool to have in the OP (with his permission of course).

Robotic Wind

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grey Walrus
So is Xenoblade as good as they say?

I had never heard of Shulk but I see his name all over roster pedictions so I had to look him up and seeing the vast variety of moves he has I am already interested. I might get Xenoblade Thursday or I may wait for my birthday...

Now to look at past comments and find a moveset

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman

I had never heard of Shulk but I see his name all over roster pedictions so I had to look him up and seeing the vast variety of moves he has I am already interested. I might get Xenoblade Thursday or I may wait for my birthday...

simply put yes. It is my current favorite video game. One of the best Wii experiences there is. Overall fantastic game that surprised me constantly. SO much good about it.
Shulk being one of the most likable characters in gaming I've ever seen.

yani

Smash Lord

Easily the best RPG of this gen as well as one of the top Wii games. It's a must have for any Wii owner.

JPW

Smash Ace
I found Xenoblade very hard to get into. The Battle System confused the hell out of me. What kept me going was the story. I got through most of the boss fights by flukes.

But then when i was at my friend's last week. He explained a lot of the mechanics to me. I'm not really good with text instructions i like the 1 on 1 explanation. Where the person shows you. Anyway after he showed me how to properly execute combos and how to build up talent gauges, and where to stick the arts, and such i started flying through and rarely ever died. Now i'm loving the game and playing it almost every night.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What perplexes me is that this thread only has a 3 star rating. I may not actively support Shulk (yet), but this IS one of the better threads here...oh well.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
All according to plan...

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

If you like RPGs, then it's a must have for the Wii. it can be a little crazy, but the game gives you a lot to do and it's a long game by itself.

I found Xenoblade very hard to get into. The Battle System confused the hell out of me. What kept me going was the story. I got through most of the boss fights by flukes.

But then when i was at my friend's last week. He explained a lot of the mechanics to me. I'm not really good with text instructions i like the 1 on 1 explanation. Where the person shows you. Anyway after he showed me how to properly execute combos and how to build up talent gauges, and where to stick the arts, and such i started flying through and rarely ever died. Now i'm loving the game and playing it almost every night.
It plays like an MMO, so it's going to be a lot different than console RPGs. If you ever have questions, the people in this thread will be happy to answer them. We talk about the game a lot.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I really want to play this. Though he was already planning to, I convinced my cousin to buy Xenoblade, but I haven't been to his house, so I haven't even seen it in action, much less played it. But Shulk is my #1 most-wanted for SM4SH, and I doubt that will ever change.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm hoping that Shulk will get in. Nintendo needs to make good use of newer franchises.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Bump because its been two months since someone last posted in this thread and Shulk needs support because he's freaking awesome.

Seriously though, I'm really hoping Shulk gets in playable. I'm still not sure what a solid final smash would end up being. For me the first idea is a chain attack, and two other characters from Xenoblade show up. Not sure how that could affect more than one character but...

Oh well. SHULK FOR SSB4

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You know, for Shulk being
the third god
with a powerful weapon capable of slaying gods, his fear of caterpillars and dislike for vegetables is kinda hilarious in comparison. I do wonder if Snake's or Pit's smash taunt would make fun of that in particular.

Also there was the message stated by the wife of one of the designers who commented "keep our fingers crossed" for Shulk in Super Smash Bros., which doesn't mean a whole lot but it does show support from a more in-house prospective.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don't know why this topic was never as active as the others. Same for Palutena.

I'm still holding that Shulk's final smash is a vision. That's kind of his thing, but chain attack works too.

He just needs to be in. It would be so awesome.

To get discussion moving, what do you all want the Xenoblade stage to be?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
THAT. WOULD. BE. AWESOME!

Like seriously. The lighting effects would be great. I like the vision idea too SmashChu. I never even thought of that.

I always thought a stage that was really scenic would be great. As long as they have the good music from that game. Like "You Will Know Our Names" or one of my personal favorites the theme of the Bionis leg

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My personal favorite idea would be like Delfino plaza but a much bigger scale, like a tour of the Bionis. Gaur plains would be beautiful in HD too.

I feel like a stage like I would want would be too crazy though, so right now I would say an HD rendered Gaur Plains is my ****. Of course, Eryth Sea could be a beautiful stage. Just imagine the HD water and just the location in general. Amazing

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Of course, Eryth Sea could be a beautiful stage. Just imagine the HD water and just the location in general. Amazing
Eryth Sea is the one I expect as well. I mean, heck, there are floating platforms ready to go. I mean, you are on the head.

Gaur Plain should be the stage, especially if it gets remade to take advantage of the Wii U's HD visuals. Done right and it'd look AMAZING.

[COLLAPSE="image"]
[/COLLAPSE]

In terms of music, Gaur Plain and You Will Know Our Names need to be included.
I have to nerd out and say it's the Bionis Leg. The characters even refer to it as such. Gaur Plains is only a segment of it.

I know I'm raining on your parade, but I think there are better choices. Just any place either Ether works better because it gives you that sense of what the areas on Bionis are. Mechonis areas like Sword Valley work too, since it's such an important place. Also, the Bionis Leg is just a grassy area which isn't too exciting. But to each their own.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Anything will be good at this point when it comes to a stage. The HD remake of whatever location would be pretty awesome regardless.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Gaur Plains would be great if the weather changed during the fighting, and when a bolt of lighting strikes down, the Mechonis is shown in the background. Any location has potential as Habanero said. It doesn't really matter which

DarkAres

Smash Rookie

I highly agree with Bionis Leg. It was the first area that was really breathtaking for me in-game. Plus a plain of grass works well for other series too, and it's even on the cover!

As for music....please add Confronting an Enemy. I love that track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHmEort4KSc

I'm also a bit unsure about making Monado restricted to Final Smash. I think the Monado is too critical to his fighting style, and it's not reserved just for critical moments in Xenoblade either; a lot of fights will start out with a Monado buff like Speed in my experience. I'd personally give him Monado skills as per normal, and make his Final Smash calling the Bionis itself to smash the stage (from very, very far away, or with only a fingernail given it's size)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

I highly agree with Bionis Leg. It was the first area that was really breathtaking for me in-game. Plus a plain of grass works well for other series too, and it's even on the cover!

As for music....please add Confronting an Enemy. I love that track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHmEort4KSc

I'm not sure what it's with you guys and Bionis Leg. I think other areas fit better in terms of Smash and how Xenoblade is different from other games.

I'm also a bit unsure about making Monado restricted to Final Smash. I think the Monado is too critical to his fighting style, and it's not reserved just for critical moments in Xenoblade either; a lot of fights will start out with a Monado buff like Speed in my experience. I'd personally give him Monado skills as per normal, and make his Final Smash calling the Bionis itself to smash the stage (from very, very far away, or with only a fingernail given it's size)
I agree. I think I made a moveset in this thread that used the Monado Arts as special moves. I'll dig it up. Of course, he shouldn't call the Bionis because...well...(HUGE SPOILER)

yani

Smash Lord
I like the idea of Sword Valley being a stage, but I don't care what we get to be honest, as long as we get a stage complimented with the glorious music :bee:

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Anywhere. At least one stage please.
Eryth Sea
Guar Plains
Sword Valley
Satori Marsh
Colony 9

Any of these would be incredible stages.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think Eryth Sea would turn out the prettiest out of all of them. Gaur Plains would look amazing, with the arches off in the distance. Sword Valley could be great, Satorl Marsh's visuals would be a great touch. Colony 9 would be great, especially if
they set it up like the end of the game with the body of the Bionis submerged in the water

Also, on a side note, what do we think are Shulk's chances in general? I want to say he has a fairly decent shot.

Comparing pros and cons, these are what I have so far

Pro
1.Xenoblade became incredibly popular
2.One of the few new IP's Nintendo introduced
this gen
3. Overall popularity of Shulk is rather large

Con
1.Likely to be a one shot character

I'm sure there are other points i'm forgetting, but I quite honestly can't think of much that would go against his inclusion. Thoughts?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Also, on a side note, what do we think are Shulk's chances in general? I want to say he has a fairly decent shot.

Comparing pros and cons, these are what I have so far

Pro Con
1.Xenoblade became incredibly popular 1.Likely to be a one shot character
2.One of the few new IP's Nintendo introduced
this gen
3. Overall popularity of Shulk is rather large

I'm sure there are other points i'm forgetting, but I quite honestly can't think of much that would go against his inclusion. Thoughts?
If Sakurai looks to Japanese popularity for a new series to implement, then Shulk is without a doubt the most popular character from a currently unrepresented series. Well, not counting 3rd parties.

In the west it's a little more varied, Little Mac would probably be the character with the most popularity here from an unrepresented series (and is probably also the most likely non-retro non-3rd party new IP to be included). Isaac is more popular than Shulk in the west as well, but I don't think his popularity is an accurate representation of his chances.

Now, none of this is to say that Sakurai allots spots for new series, he includes characters based on individual merit, but it's pretty likely we'll get at least a couple new series represented this time around.

However, as well-received as Xenoblade might've been (and it was a great game), it is still fairly new, and only has one game so far, which Sakurai might not view as, for lack of a better word, worthy enough, at this in point in time. Who knows, I'm not saying it's likely, but it could be possible.

Anyway, I'd make his pros and cons like this:

Pros:
  • Most popular character from unrepresented IP in Japan
  • Game was well received critically and did decently commercially (very well if you include all the pirated copies), meaning fairly good exposure of characters
  • Shulk was pretty much the posterchild of Rainfall, and got quite a bit of publicity, increasing his popularity and exposure
  • Game seems to have quite a cult following, similar to Mother, meaning vocal popularity and extended longevity if faced with lack of sequels
  • Relatively recent appearance, meaning he is still fresh and popular in peoples' minds

Cons:
  • No (non-retro) character has yet been included with only one game in their series
  • Sakurai might feel the series is too new, or not "deserving" enough
  • Could very possibly be a one-shot character and/or one-shot series
  • Other unrepresented series overall are much more established and have much higher levels of exposure

If you want to add first-party character to his pros then go ahead, personally I don't think that will effect his chances.

Overall I'd say his chances were fairly good, I'd be happy to see him included, and apart from Little Mac I'd say he is vying for most likely (non-retro, non-3rd party) new playable IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom