• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
Shulk jumps off of the back of Juju's buggy, before it drives off the edge of the stage in a blazing mess

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
So I remember some people talking about Shulk's Japanese VA tweeting something about Xenoblade news earlier this year and everyone was thinking it was Smash related. But n we know he's one of the options for the avatar in X. Do you think Adam Howden's tweet could of been refereeing to Smash or X. I want to say Smash, but I don't know if it's because it's true or that I want it to be true.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hmm...

A stage entrance for Shulk is a tricky thing to put a finger on. (That's flashy, anyway.)

I'm honestly comfortable with him just running up Mac style and activating the Monado. Maybe saying something like "Let's go!" when he shows up.

Weren't the Eryth Sea teleporters huge? If they weren't too clunky, I could see one popping up and having him walk out of it. I'm sure Sakurai will think of something we haven't though (Even though we totally guessed Mac's.)

So I remember some people talking about Shulk's Japanese VA tweeting something about Xenoblade news earlier this year and everyone was thinking it was Smash related. But n we know he's one of the options for the avatar in X. Do you think Adam Howden's tweet could of been refereeing to Smash or X. I want to say Smash, but I don't know if it's because it's true or that I want it to be true.
The japanese VA is one of the avatars in X? Neat. However, since he hasn't "shared" that information again, I'm thinking it's not related to that, especially if it's already public knowledge.

As for Adam Howden, X is releasing in SOMETIME, 2015, so they wouldn't have started the English voice-acting yet, and we already know he's in Dragon Age: Inquisition, so he wouldn't get his balls chopped off for that one.

Unless he's doing a new project that isn't Smash, there's a good bet to what it is.

Last edited:

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
Adam Howden also said the project he was working on was trending on Twitter when it was announced, and as much as I love Xenoblade X I don't think that was the game he was talking about.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Adam Howden also said the project he was working on was trending on Twitter when it was announced, and as much as I love Xenoblade X I don't think that was the game he was talking about.
Yeah, and since he's already talked about his involvement in Inquisition, I'm sure it's not that. Things are looking good.

D

Deleted member

The japanese VA is one of the avatars in X? Neat. However, since he hasn't "shared" that information again, I'm thinking it's not related to that, especially if it's already public knowledge.

As for Adam Howden, X is releasing in SOMETIME, 2015, so they wouldn't have started the English voice-acting yet, and we already know he's in Dragon Age: Inquisition, so he wouldn't get his balls chopped off for that one.

Unless he's doing a new project that isn't Smash, there's a good bet to what it is.
If we put these two together, then I think that this strongly suggests that he is most likely doing voice work for Shulk in Smash Bros. I dunno how often Adam voice acts outside of Dragon Age though... has he done any recent games? If he hasn't, then I have a strong feeling that he's referring to Shulk and Smash. Here's hoping!

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I wouldn't mind a stage entrance where Shulk comes in and pick up the Monado stuck in the ground and activate it. Use an iconic image (Monado in the ground) and base a stage entrance around that.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If we put these two together, then I think that this strongly suggests that he is most likely doing voice work for Shulk in Smash Bros. I dunno how often Adam voice acts outside of Dragon Age though... has he done any recent games? If he hasn't, then I have a strong feeling that he's referring to Shulk and Smash. Here's hoping!
According to Imdb iirc, he's done Xenoblade, DAII, DA Awakening, Inquisition and some smaller Indy game.

So...

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
I wonder which area would be chosen if they picked a Xenoblade stage with a boss hazard. There's quite a few to pick from.

Finally stole something for my sig as well. /shameless. :troll:

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Here' the games he's worked on:
Dragon Age Origins (2009), Lost Horizon (2010), Fable 3 (2010), Dragon Age 2 (2011), Star Wars The Old Republic (2011), Xenoblade Chronicles (2011), The Adventures of TinTin (2011), Dragon Age Inquisition (2014)

So yeah, eight games. Not a lot, at all. And like what someone else said, they wouldn't have done VA work on X just yet since English dubs are don pretty late in development. He mentioned a exciting game he's in but can't say what because he would get his Nopons cut off, and we know it's not Inquisition since he's already confirmed to be in it. So what other high profile game is coming out this year that has that strict of a NDA? Guys it's Shulk...

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Dragon Age Origins (2009), Lost Horizon (2010), Fable 3 (2010), Dragon Age 2 (2011), Star Wars The Old Republic (2011), Xenoblade Chronicles (2011), The Adventures of TinTin (2011), Dragon Age Inquisition (2014)

So yeah, eight games. Not a lot, at all. And like what someone else said, they wouldn't have done VA work on X just yet since English dubs are don pretty late in development. He mentioned a exciting game he's in but can't say what because he would get his Nopons cut off, and we know it's not Inquisition since he's already confirmed to be in it. So what other high profile game is coming out this year that has that strict of a NDA? Guys it's Shulk...
Now watch all our hyping up be killed when Shulk is only an Assist Trophy. : P

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
...that aint hype, though...

Also, apparently in 201 he announced he was voicing Shulk, out of the blue, on Twitter. So even in the context of another Nintendo game they didn't mind him spilling the beans on Twitter. So yeah, like I said, what other game coming out this year has such a strict NDA?

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman

I saw this supposed leak on SmashWiki, it was confirmed that the VA was getting his games mixed up and actually meant Dragon Age, and not anything Xenoblade-related.

EDIT: I got this one mixed up! It was actually the VA for Ken from Street Fighter that posted a vague twitter message implying he might be in SSB4, but recounted it when he meant Playstation All Stars.

Last edited:

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman

Oh snap did he say the game would be out this year? Because like everything already pointed to Shulk before but that would be huge.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
It's highly doubtful that they'd call him in to do voice work if Shulk's only an assist trophy. If that was the case they'd likely just reuse voice clips from Xenoblade.

I saw this supposed leak on SmashWiki, it was confirmed that the VA was getting his games mixed up and actually meant Dragon Age, and not anything Xenoblade-related.
I'm going to need a source on that that isn't just a wiki.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Guys I cracked the code.
Xenoblade has 9 letters
So does Smash Bros.
Adam Howden has 10 letters.
Shulk has 5.
5-10=5. Take away the 0 in 10 and you have a 1. 5+1 is 6. 6 upside down is 9. What has 9 letters? Smash Bros.
But I seriously can't think of anything else that fits his criteria of "Trending when announced" other than Smash. I don't know much about Dragon Age, so maybe is he a re-occurring character? Minor/Major?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
...that aint hype, though...
It's highly doubtful that they'd call him in to do voice work if Shulk's only an assist trophy. If that was the case they'd likely just reuse voice clips from Xenoblade.
I was only joking guys. But seriously. I'm with you all on this. I just hope it doesn't end up a bust. I honestly don't think it will, but Shulk being deconfirmed would like... wreck my expectations for this game. And after that whole Takamaru and Chrom thing, it has me cautious. Sakurai is a loose cannon on a flying boat that uses sharks for ammunition. His main weapon is trolling fans with expectations.

Last edited:

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
This reminds me of a theory I made the other day I'll just post it here, you guys might find it entertaining.

Maybe it's just me but is Sakurai disconfirming a lot of Japanese only characters, big or small, that may have a following In Japan? I think, I'm smelling a Shulk announcement soon. We haven't gotten are Japan fan-servicy character yet like Little Mac for America. (Some people say Wii Fit Trainer but I don't think so tbh)

Sure Shulk has more following in more places of the world (unlike Little Mac in America), Shulk has a huge following in Japan. Even though he's becoming more well known, I don't think the average casual will know who Shulk is. It'll be just like Little Mac's reaction in Japan. (Except a lot more people will know who Shulk is.) Last time I checked, Japan audiences weren't very happy with Takamaru being an AT. I also don't think Sakurai is one to do for more fan-serviece to one audience over his home audience.

TL;DR: Shulk may get confirmed soon because we don't really have a Japan Fan-servicey-like character.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
im sorry gurls, it's true

better char development, even better in game, plus more likable

I guess it's really just opinion though =P

Hong

The Strongest
Whelp, I have been looking for Xenoblade Chronicles for ages, but today I have given up on buying it locally.

Resorted to buying it online. Figure it would be more wise to buy it now before Shulk's reveal and the price sky-rockets. Not to mention at least the entire thing hasn't already been spoiled for me. Hopefully I can receive the game and beat it before I resume classes in September. @~@

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Like probably everyone else has already said: Adam Howden already confirmed that he is doing work on Dragon age one whole month before the "secret project" tweet. And like @ MegaLagann MegaLagann said, they wouldn't bring in Adam if Shulk was only an assist. And also, there are multiple voice options in X, not just one. Lastly, don't forget Shulk's japanese voice actor's tweet.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Whelp, I have been looking for Xenoblade Chronicles for ages, but today I have given up on buying it locally.

Resorted to buying it online. Figure it would be more wise to buy it now before Shulk's reveal and the price sky-rockets. Not to mention at least the entire thing hasn't already been spoiled for me. Hopefully I can receive the game and beat it before I resume classes in September. @~@
OHAI!! It ish Hong!! Have you checked at Game Stop? Because that is usually the only place that carries Xenoblade unless it ends up in a yardsale or small game trading shops.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman

I disagree. I feel like Fiora had a lot of wasted potential, and could be a little annoying at times. I'm not saying I don't like her as a character, because that's not true at all, but she's on the low end of my list of favorite party members in Xenoblade. Although, that's really not saying much, because I love everyone in Xenoblade except for friggin' Juju and Miqol. Also, I may be a bit biased towards Fiora, as I'm still a bit salty about her getting Shulk over Melia.

Hong

The Strongest
OHAI!! It ish Hong!! Have you checked at Game Stop? Because that is usually the only place that carries Xenoblade unless it ends up in a yardsale or small game trading shops.
Here, we only have EB Games, which is a Canadian subsidiary. I've exhausted all of them for miles. As well as a number of other places.

I mean, getting it online for like $50 is alright with me.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Peeps, you better not forget that Dunban is objectively the best character.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman

Fiora was really cool. It would be cool to have a transforming mechanic with her but obviously Sakurai said no transforming. I would be so down with Both Shulk and Fiora and I'd even be pretty happy with just Fiora but it would seem so weird to have her in Smash and not Shulk.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Here, we only have EB Games, which is a Canadian subsidiary. I've exhausted all of them for miles. As well as a number of other places.

I actually have a Gamestop in my city (the other 6 are EB's though...)

I hope you enjoy the game, and love Shulk when he's revealed :p

Fandangox

Smash Lord
So with Nosferatu doing more damage from the back (back slash). Victiny and Xerneas effects on fighters (buffs and debuffs). And Wii Fit Trainer's neutral B move looking like Xenoblade's timed circle QTEs. I'm more inclined to believe that Shulk is in and have all of these mechanics.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
I disagree. I feel like Fiora had a lot of wasted potential, and could be a little annoying at times. I'm not saying I don't like her as a character, because that's not true at all, but she's on the low end of my list of favorite party members in Xenoblade. Although, that's really not saying much, because I love everyone in Xenoblade except for friggin' Juju and Miqol. Also, I may be a bit biased towards Fiora, as I'm still a bit salty about her getting Shulk over Melia.
am I the only person who ships Shulk and Fiora xD

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
Heropon eh? More like Zeropon. :troll:
I don't even know what to say against that.

But anyway, I just read that the Gematsu leaker sent some messages to the website who relayed his leaks prior to and after #MonadoMonday, insisting that he believed Shulk was going to be revealed then. When Robin and Lucina were announced, his response was "I don't know when they'll be showing him, all I know is that they will show him."

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

That works too! Hope you get a copy soon. The story is well worth the purchase of the game.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
This reminds me of a theory I made the other day I'll just post it here, you guys might find it entertaining.
That would actually make sense. A LOT of Japanese players are upset after the disconfirmation of Takamaru and Prince Sable. They're saying Sakurai is catering more to the West (okay they said Yankees. Don't know how I should feel about that...) and they're starting to feel discouraged about their favorites. Shulk would definitely boost the spirits of the Japanese players, especially right before release. And of course everywhere else too because everyone loves Shulk...even if they say they don't.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Aside from a Chain Attack FS, Xenoblade gets only 1 rep - could be another playable character, could be an assist trophy.

Choose your character and why!

I don't even know what to say against that.

But anyway, I just read that the Gematsu leaker sent some messages to the website who relayed his leaks prior to and after #MonadoMonday, insisting that he believed Shulk was going to be revealed then. When Robin and Lucina were announced, his response was "I don't know when they'll be showing him, all I know is that they will show him."
Shulk Sakurai will determine his fate.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
honestly the Gemastu leak is dead to me. The only thing that could restore my faith in it would be the chorus men revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom