• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Um...I know I should feel reassured by everyone's confidence about Shulk being in Sm4sh, but I can't help wondering. Remember how confident everyone was about Chrom? And look how he turned out.

I really hope my fears are unfounded...
Whilst Shulk's been a favourite of mine for near three years, I've always been quite reserved and realistic about his chances. Trying to remain unbiased so that I don't get my hopes up.

Then this thread and MonadoMonday happened and all that went out the window. Well and truly riding the Hype Train. With my hopes THIS high, it's gonna be a hard fall if Shulk gets left out, or Chrom'd.:c

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Um...I know I should feel reassured by everyone's confidence about Shulk being in Sm4sh, but I can't help wondering. Remember how confident everyone was about Chrom? And look how he turned out.

I really hope my fears are unfounded...
I think they're unfounded. Shulk has mountains of evidence in his favor. Sakurai's Monado picture. Xenoblade's director and VA's mysterious Tweets. Alleged Mechon trophies seen at E3. Shulk is one of the most highly requested characters in the world right now, representing one of Nintendo's budding, critically acclaimed IP's. He's gonna be in Smash. :)

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
(Oh man, don't encourage them!)

Anyway, (cough), um, Shulk in Smash, (cough)... um... back on that thing about fancy backgrounds, I think it's worth remembering that we don't want it to be too distracting. I mean, sure, getting mesmerised by Xenoblade scenery would totally be worth taking an opponent's Falcon Punch to the face, but I think "less is more" in this case.

Edit, just for clarity: By which I mean, sure, have awesome Xenoblade scenery, but having Metal Face, 20 Mechon, 30 soldiers and 47 Dobercorgis running around in the background might be too eye-catching.
You do know I'm one of the writers, right? :troll:

And just look at the Reset Bomb stage on the 3DS. There's a full scale battle and characters appearing in the background. Trust me, any Xenoblade stage would fit with the others.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
I think they're unfounded. Shulk has mountains of evidence in his favor. Sakurai's Monado picture. Xenoblade's director and VA's mysterious Tweets. Alleged Mechon trophies seen at E3. Shulk is one of the most highly requested characters in the world right now, representing one of Nintendo's budding, critically acclaimed IP's. He's gonna be in Smash. :)
Oh, thank you. That made me feel a lot better. Really.:)

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
You do know I'm one of the writers, right? :troll:

And just look at the Reset Bomb stage on the 3DS. There's a full scale battle and characters appearing in the background. Trust me, any Xenoblade stage would fit with the others.
(I forgot... don't encourage yourself, then! :laugh:)

And yeah, I remembered Reset Bomb Forest was a thing after posting... I think for that stage in particular, most of that "war" part kind of looks like a swarm of people in the distance, so it's not quite as distracting. The Reset Bomb and giant Viridi are a different case though. Some kind of Xenoblade battle could be done, but it'd just have to be well-managed with positioning and background events (and I have faith that they could pull it off.)

Blue Fang

Smash Cadet
NNID
RedIdol82
So what do you guys think would be a good title for Shulk's reveal trailer? "Super Smash Bros. - Heir to the Monado" would probably give it away too easily.
I was thinking
Super Smash Bros. - The God-Slaying Sword

Last edited:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
So what do you guys think would be a good title for Shulk's reveal trailer? "Super Smash Bros. - Heir to the Monado" would probably give it away too easily.
I was thinking
Super Smash Bros. - The God-Slaying Sword
It also depends if he's the only one, or there are any other announcements. I mean, if he where announced with Rob like many think, I barely think he could be 'The God Slaying Sword'.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
1:36 AM

Almost nobody on the thread.

Had a day of giving up a secret identity and eating chinese food.

On a thread about Shulk, for the Shulk, and by the Shulk.

Shulk for SSB4.

Let's party.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Apparently Sakurai tweeted that the 3DS version is finished & in Japan they will hold an event that will have the final build of the game, so this means the starting roster & stages will be revealed very soon.
Unlocks most likely are disabled though, but hey who knows there is a Xenoblade stage that could hint where we need to play for unlocking Shulk

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69731272

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Apparently Sakurai tweeted that the 3DS version is finished & in Japan they will hold an event that will have the final build of the game, so this means the starting roster & stages will be revealed very soon.
Unlocks most likely are disabled though, but hey who knows there is a Xenoblade stage that could hint where we need to play for unlocking Shulk

I think they'd be smart enough not to accidentally imply character reveals, but wow... this game is so close I can taste it!

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
You know, I think Xenoblade changed my religious views a very slight bit. I used to be atheist but now I'm agnostic atheist.

Like, you know how in the Rate My Chance thread there are the people that are pretty damn sure that a character won't be in but give it like a 1 or 2% chance because, you know, ultimately it's Sakurai we're talking about? Yeah, that's my religious view. I used to be one of the people that would just say the character has a 0% chance.

Those of you who have played through the game probably know what I'm talking about.

Funny to think that a game could have such an effect on somebody. There's so much meaning in that game; I guess that's why I want Shulk in smash bros so badly. Xenoblade deserves a rep. My reasons aren't so artificial such as 'So I can say I was right,' or 'Because it makes sense.' Xenoblade is a moving game.
...and just for the record, if I was in Shulk's position I would do the same – all of it.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I think they'd be smart enough not to accidentally imply character reveals, but wow... this game is so close I can taste it!
Well Sakurai loves his teasers though, just look at how he is teasing the Ridley fans for almost a year now due the Phyrosphere Shenaningans xD

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
I have to say something about this, and I wish I didn't.

I see some people forgot the rule about alts. Because you really shouldn't forget that.

You know who you are (as do I), guys, please use your actual account, you roleplayers! You guys know you can and will be infracted if they are seen again, and we don't want that. And for those with one account in this area, thanks for following the rules. ;)
And then... only the original character account remained! Muahaha!

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
For those that are wondering, I don't have an alt account.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
In the words of Xord, "it was fun for a while, but now I'm bored." I was Mysterious Face although I posted far less than the other alts. I'm really hoping for some sort of big Smash blow out next month. Sakurai doesn't want people to spoil the game online so why not spoil the game himself :troll:

I actually do think there will be a few secret characters, however I'm also expecting a few more reveals prior to release

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I have to say something about this, and I wish I didn't.

I see some people forgot the rule about alts. Because you really shouldn't forget that.

You know who you are (as do I), guys, please use your actual account, you roleplayers! You guys know you can and will be infracted if they are seen again, and we don't want that. And for those with one account in this area, thanks for following the rules. ;)
Hmph, well. Understandable, but I guess this puts @Metal Face into retirement. Now we'll probably never know who he was until Shulk's reveal.
Meh, oh well. It was fun while it lasted but all good things have to come to an end and sometimes were illegal from the get-go, so really they should've ended instantly

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Well Sakurai loves his teasers though, just look at how he is teasing the Ridley fans for almost a year now due the Phyrosphere Shenaningans xD
Yeah, that's a good point. And having a stage doesn't necessarily imply a character (like Smashville or Pictochat or something.) Maybe we actually will get a Xenoblade stage shown. Though if a stage is shown and we end up not getting Shulk, I won't just be upset, I'll actually be annoyed.

You know, I think Xenoblade changed my religious views a very slight bit. I used to be atheist but now I'm agnostic atheist.

Like, you know how in the Rate My Chance thread there are the people that are pretty damn sure that a character won't be in but give it like a 1 or 2% chance because, you know, ultimately it's Sakurai we're talking about? Yeah, that's my religious view. I used to be one of the people that would just say the character has a 0% chance.

Those of you who have played through the game probably know what I'm talking about.

Funny to think that a game could have such an effect on somebody. There's so much meaning in that game; I guess that's why I want Shulk in smash bros so badly. Xenoblade deserves a rep. My reasons aren't so artificial such as 'So I can say I was right,' or 'Because it makes sense.' Xenoblade is a moving game.
...and just for the record, if I was in Shulk's position I would do the same – all of it.
I don't think Xenoblade went so far as to affect my religious beliefs, but your last paragraph sums it up perfectly. I'm probably gonna sound full-fanboy here, but Xenoblade's not just a game, it's an entire experience. You really get drawn into the world and emotionally invested in the characters and setting. It is incredibly moving. No other game has made such an impact on me. It's certainly not a perfect game, but it's pretty damn close. It ticked all the boxes for what I'd look for in a game. Through this, I've began to take notice of what elements I enjoy and how they're made to work; it has certainly changed the way I evaluate other games.

... which is why it's kind of a slap in the face when I recommend it to all my friends to (mostly) receive "Hurp durp Wii is 4 kidz, PC master race :psycho:". (Their loss I guess. I did get one guy interested in XCX though.)

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Yeah, that's a good point. And having a stage doesn't necessarily imply a character (like Smashville or Pictochat or something.) Maybe we actually will get a Xenoblade stage shown. Though if a stage is shown and we end up not getting Shulk, I won't just be upset, I'll actually be annoyed.

I don't think Xenoblade went so far as to affect my religious beliefs, but your last paragraph sums it up perfectly. I'm probably gonna sound full-fanboy here, but Xenoblade's not just a game, it's an entire experience. You really get drawn into the world and emotionally invested in the characters and setting. It is incredibly moving. No other game has made such an impact on me. It's certainly not a perfect game, but it's pretty damn close. It ticked all the boxes for what I'd look for in a game. Through this, I've began to take notice of what elements I enjoy and how they're made to work; it has certainly changed the way I evaluate other games.

... which is why it's kind of a slap in the face when I recommend it to all my friends to (mostly) receive "Hurp durp Wii is 4 kidz, PC master race :psycho:". (Their loss I guess. I did get one guy interested in XCX though.)
PC ain't got any good exclusives anyway. (TF2 I guess, but thats about it.) So it's their loss indeed.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
PC ain't got any good exclusives anyway. (TF2 I guess, but thats about it.) So it's their loss indeed.
I really hate the fact that PCs must be upgraded so often when you want to play new games without frame drops -.- I rather buy a new console with some cool exclusives than a "gamer" PC. Mine is pretty good, but not "gamer" level.
I know that problem. Most people in my age at school play PS3/PS4, and although most of them don't hate Nintendo, it's pretty difficult to find someone to talk about Nintendo games. I'm pretty happy message boards on the internet exist :ohwell: Maybe things will change when I move later in the year.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I really hate the fact that PCs must be upgraded so often when you want to play new games without frame drops -.- I rather buy a new console with some cool exclusives than a "gamer" PC. Mine is pretty good, but not "gamer" level.
I know that problem. Most people in my age at school play PS3/PS4, and although most of them don't hate Nintendo, it's pretty difficult to find someone to talk about Nintendo games. I'm pretty happy message boards on the internet exist :ohwell: Maybe things will change when I move later in the year.
I actually don't have a school to go to right now, but I used to have that problem too. At least I'm lucky that I have a friend that likes pretty much the exact same things as me.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann

Interesting. When are they showing off the final build? It must be soon since the game comes out in early September. I guess we'll at least get one more trailer before that. C'mon Shulk, make an appearance before I give myself a heart attack from hype/worrying...

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I spend half the time working off my laptop, so it's the last thing I want to see when I want to relax. I do have Steam and a few games, though I don't play them. I've got a PS3 with some pretty good stuff that I'll play often. But Nintendo's certainly where my loyalties lie. Consistently higher quality when looking "across the board", in my opinion.

Even my non-gamer friends are getting excited for Smash. Even though they don't know any of the newcomers besides Pac-Man and maybe Rosalina since she's in Mario Kart. That goes to say something.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I must have the perfect friends then! They've all been playing my copy one by one, and have all been swept up by the majesty of Reyn Time!

One of them never used Riki in his play through, so he didn't understand the greatness of the Heropon, but my friend who's playing it now is running Shulk/Reyn/Riki and is at Eryth Sea and having a blast.

Trust me, they'll all know Shulk's name (was definitely my goal.)

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
I must have the perfect friends then! They've all been playing my copy one by one, and have all been swept up by the majesty of Reyn Time!

One of them never used Riki in his play through, so he didn't understand the greatness of the Heropon, but my friend who's playing it now is running Shulk/Reyn/Riki and is at Eryth Sea and having a blast.

Trust me, they'll all know Shulk's name (was definitely my goal.)
One of my friends put down the game right before Satorl Marsh because he thought it was too grind heavy. That and he wished that there would be a mechanic were if you didn't accept a quest it would just magically be accepted for you.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
One of my friends put down the game right before Satorl Marsh because he thought it was too grind heavy. That and he wished that there would be a mechanic were if you didn't accept a quest it would just magically be accepted for you.
Too...grind heavy? I'm...not sure how to respond to ANY of that. :(

All of my friends so far have been impressed by the LACK of grinding. *I* did more than they did, just because unlike them, I skipped side quests to see the story.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Too...grind heavy? I'm...not sure how to respond to ANY of that. :(

All of my friends so far have been impressed by the LACK of grinding. *I* did more than they did, just because unlike them, I skipped side quests to see the story.
Yeah, he didn't like how many sidequests there were, so he skipped on most of them and also didn't like how he had to use Shulk against the Mechon. I could see his reasoning for the Mechon since you only have Reyn and Sharla, but he missed out on a lot by putting it down.

In case you didn't know, Sakurai only update on weekdays.
It's ALWAYS been that way
Oh. I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
are they doing another day today at comic con if so this is the last chance to have anyone announced their

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Yesterday's ending of the stream pretty stated they were done for ComicCon.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, he didn't like how many sidequests there were, so he skipped on most of them and also didn't like how he had to use Shulk against the Mechon. I could see his reasoning for the Mechon since you only have Reyn and Sharla, but he missed out on a lot by putting it down.

Oh. I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me.
So far all but one of my friends has complained about Monado Enchant being so necessary to eveb touch Mechon, but I told them they'd basically be done worrying about that after the Ether Mine, and it was all good.

I do understand the complaints, it just never bothered me because I thought it was a nice mechanic to make the Mechon seem actually otherworldly and threatening, rather than just difficult.

Again, though, it helps it stops being an issue post-Xord. The next time you see them, you have much more than just Enchant to fight then with.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So far all but one of my friends has complained about Monado Enchant being so necessary to eveb touch Mechon, but I told them they'd basically be done worrying about that after the Ether Mine, and it was all good.

I do understand the complaints, it just never bothered me because I thought it was a nice mechanic to make the Mechon seem actually otherworldly and threatening, rather than just difficult.

Again, though, it helps it stops being an issue post-Xord. The next time you see them, you have much more than just Enchant to fight then with.
That never ever bothered me. Topple is your friend.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman

It never bothered me either. I welcomed it in fact because I thought it was a story element, like the visions, that transitioned into gameplay very well. Also because I use Shulk 90% of the ti-*cough*
Even if you wanna play as Reyn, as stupid as AI Shulk is with wasting his talent gauge, I feel like he's always smart enough to enchant you when engaging a battle with mechon. From my personal experience anyway.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I wonder if you can be a straight up ether user in X, kinda like Melia. That would be cool.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
so what remake you most excited to hear from xenoblade I'm excited for a you will know our name, unfinished battle, one who gets in our way, and Conlony 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom