• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I dunno, I wouldn't say I'm Riki's biggest fan. He has his funny/cute moments, but his character really rubs me the wrong way sometimes.

I mean, come on. When Melia's father is run through and dies in her arms, all Riki cares about is food. Really? I don't care that the Nopon are written to be childlike. Even a child should know better. And the Nopon damn well have a grasp of death, so it's not like he doesn't understand what just happened. That scene really turned me off from Riki's character, I'm sorry. I don't begrudge people who like him, but I can't bring myself to.
Hmm, understandable, but I have a different interpretation. The nopon are intelligent enough to understand death, as you pointed out, but their take on it seems different from humans/homs. I think that because of how common death is among their race, with nopon often being eaten, and because of their closeness to/with nature, they are used to death and accept it as a natural process.
Just my take.

Last edited:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Based on this thread I feel like almost everyone loves Riki except me. Like @ MooseSmuggler MooseSmuggler said sometimes he's just kind of there or says the wrong thing. However he did grow on me more in my second run. I like Riki but he is one of my least favorite party members. He also seems far less important than the rest of the cast. Maybe it is because he is the only one without a villain counterpart.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
I think you already discussed this a couple pages back, but I assume we're getting a new character trailer tomorrow. I'm hoping for Shulk

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
So, how do you guys think Monolith Soft might incorporate the Gamepad into X, beyond just off TV play? I think it'll be pretty useful for managing party members, equipment, settings etc on the fly, but what are some more creative things they could do with it? Maybe there are some elements from Soma Bringer they could carry over (can't say I know much about Soma Bringer's gameplay to give any ideas as to what), or maybe give a new take on the gem crafting system (assuming it returns).

Melia

Smash Cadet
Wasn't that scene created to be that jarring? I mean, I believe I read something about the developers saying that they wanted to have someone so cute say something so heartless. But that's just me.
Twas jarring at the time, but I believe @ erico9001 erico9001 was correct; it was simply different social views clashing that created the scene. We must remember that, though the Nopon are friendly and hom-like in many ways, they are a different species and must be treated as such.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Riki looks like he's about to reveal that he's the mastermind behind the whole plot of Xenoblade as the true villain.
...ehehehe
Not far off actually, for I AM THE TRUE MASTERMIND BEHIND [redacted]! TREMBLE IN FEAR OF THE [redacted]!
With an avatar like that you would have to end each of your sentences with Gentlemen.
...Gentlemen

Last edited:

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice
So, how do you guys think Monolith Soft might incorporate the Gamepad into X, beyond just off TV play? I think it'll be pretty useful for managing party members, equipment, settings etc on the fly, but what are some more creative things they could do with it? Maybe there are some elements from Soma Bringer they could carry over (can't say I know much about Soma Bringer's gameplay to give any ideas as to what), or maybe give a new take on the gem crafting system (assuming it returns).
Whenever you enter a mech, the gamepad becomes a first person view of the cockpit, from which you have a first person view of your surroundings, dials that represent fuel, cool down, health, levers and stuff that for weapons, etc. You have to manage between liking up to check combat and looking down to manage the battle.

D

Deleted member

About X, what feature of Xenoblade would you not want to return?
I'll have to voice what @ ZXMechonHunter ZXMechonHunter said about Spike damage and expand it towards Spikes in general. Some of them are pretty cheap and it's annoying to have no indication as to what enemies have what Spikes.
Oh, that guy has Spike damage? You didn't know? Oh well.
That guy has an instant death spike? Oh, I'm sorry! Fight's over for you!

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
I'll have to voice what @ ZXMechonHunter ZXMechonHunter said about Spike damage and expand it towards Spikes in general. Some of them are pretty cheap and it's annoying to have no indication as to what enemies have what Spikes.
Oh, that guy has Spike damage? You didn't know? Oh well.
That guy has an instant death spike? Oh, I'm sorry! Fight's over for you!
At least the final boss doesn't have a spike.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
About X, what feature of Xenoblade would you not want to return?
Switching characters to lead the party, pls. I've heard that you can change your class at will, which seems awesome. I just don't want it to take the place of being able to switch who you're actually controlling at any given moment.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Is it just me or has the pace of this thread suddenly and inexplicably dropped?

Our maybe you all just went to bed.
Probably a mix of both sleep and Comic-Con. Pic of the day will be up soon, with any luck we'll get something to indicate a reveal soon?

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Probably a mix of both sleep and Comic-Con. Pic of the day will be up soon, with any luck we'll get something to indicate a reveal soon?
How I wish I could be in San Diego right now... ;_; And oh, you're right. Keep thinking today is Friday. Bah.

Also, Riki should be an Assist Trophy. I'm sure it's been mentioned, but it dawned on me while bored at work. Yup.

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
I just got here! Late shift, you know how it goes...

But I see what you mean. For once I didn't have to read through ten pages... Just a slow day I guess.
No, it's dropped. I mean, today I came back after being away for two hours and the thread had advanced half a page. A couple days ago we would've had maybe two new pages. It's gettin' slower.
On that cheerful note, g'night y'all.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
So, as my net connection takes about an hour to load a single page, I've not seen this thread in three days. Thread moves so fast, Sonic would have trouble keeping up. I now have the opportunity to catch up on the ~33 pages since then - so I've made a summary about what I've just read. In spoilers just so this post isn't huge.
  • Duckson comes into existence.
  • Who we'd want as a second Xenoblade rep.
  • Laughing at Melia's misfortune (The feels!)
  • Smashboards starts leaking, tumblr hits itself in its confusion.
  • Lovenado Chronicles is now some kind of love dodecahedron between Shulk, The Monado, Hades, Reyn, infinite sandwich, Melia, Viridi, Alvis, Zanza, Master Sword, Fi, Metal Face and Juju's Buggy.
  • Gessenkou on GameFAQs does an English translation of the Xenoblade Chronicles X trailer.
  • @Metal Face returns.
  • Creepy image of Shulk, Death Note vibe.
  • New Smash rumour saying Bowser Jr. will use the Koopa Clown Car, quickly shot down.
  • Someone in Japan made an awesome/creepy glowing Shulk figurine.
  • Moderator drops by.
  • "Tsundere Face"
  • Xenoblade Assist Trophy discussion
  • Shulk is thrashing Ridley in a GameFAQs poll.
  • This is the greatest thing I've seen since that Tomodachi Shulk Smash musical. IT'S BETTER. ALLEZ-OOP.
  • Xenoblade stage music discussion. Can we have music double-up between Wii U and 3DS versions?
  • @ Solfiner Solfiner sends Friend Requests to the entirity of Smash Boards. Everyone who doesn't get one cries about it. (I might do a sweep soon, actually.)
  • Took two years for this thread to reach 100 pages. After April '14, it just shot up with Gematsu, #MonadoMonday, and other character reveals leaving people to look at who's left..
  • Heropon is best item.
  • More laughing/crying at Melia.
  • Xenoblade Smash Run enemy discussion. Generally conclude that Mechon would be best, but maybe some other things.
  • Spoiler-ception begins.
    "We need to go deeper!"
  • Speculation on removal of Newcomer banners.
  • Someone translates XCX opening scene. It's awesome.
  • Bead art Monado is created and it's awesome.
  • flametorchic's Monado is shared. We would all pay way too much for one.
  • Witch hunt for Metal Face's identity commences.
  • Everyone gets on topic about possible stages again. People, in general, still like the Junks idea.
  • Mumkhar account starts (oh boy, here we go again...)'
  • Thread averages 400 posts per day(!)
  • Xord and Sharla accounts appear. FFS...
  • Xenoblade items. Red Pollen Orb? Ether crystals? Nopon?
  • Roleplays return, again.
  • Recovery move for Shulk... Monado Cyclone? Air Slash? Monado Speed?
  • Lots more RP and shouting at RPers.
  • Laughing at dumb reasons Shulk can't be in Smash.
  • More laughing at Melia/Fiora interactions over Shulk.
  • Thoughts on Shulk's poster artwork if he was confirmed.
  • More RP.
  • How would customisation affect Shulk's moves?
  • More Tomodachi. All ready to see Dunban's nakedness.
  • Shulk's taunts and poses. Behold the power of the Monado!
  • RPs come back again. It would be nice if this thread doesn't get locked.
  • Should Monado Buster really be a FS?
  • What music to use during Shulk reveal? Consensus You Will Know Our Names.
  • Basically,
  • More Dittson
  • People start talking about gaming dreams they've had.
  • Laugh at Melia again.
  • SDCC hopeful hype
  • Sounds like Metal Face regrets making the RP account because of where it led.
  • Go back to #MonadoMonday, #AlvisAugust, #DittsonEverything
  • People posting people remixing/playing Xenoblade music, obliged to link to mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzIDgSRVfqo
  • People notice the thread slowing.

This took a solid 2.5 hours to catch up. On 72 hours of content. I feel mentally exhausted, but at least I made it to the end. http://smashboards.com/attachments/alvis-dance_zpsfad13f00-gif.19234/

The worst bit about living in Australia is that you never wake up at the time other countries do.
This entirely. They don't know our pain.

I've actually seen people try to insist that Shulk is second party.
Which is another way of saying "I don't wanna admit he's first party".
Fun fact: Pokémon's made by the second-party Game Freak.

Thats enough Dittson photoshops for today. Too much power for me to handle.
With great power, comes great responsibility.

I've actually considered making one of these. I have all the electrical and most of the mechanical know-how. I think I just lack the commitment.

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice
How I wish I could be in San Diego right now... ;_; And oh, you're right. Keep thinking today is Friday. Bah.

Also, Riki should be an Assist Trophy. I'm sure it's been mentioned, but it dawned on me while bored at work. Yup.
I think a couple pages back I had a post about how every other party member could assist trophy. I had Riki using Bitey-Bitey and inflicting Bleed on anyone hit.

On a different note, maybe Shulk could have a tension mechanic where he does more damage if he hits more often, but gets discouraged if misses and does less damage. This would encourage players to go combos and not just attack randomly. Maybe Shulk's "Behold the power of the Monado" taunt could boost his tension somewhat.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
So, as my net connection takes about an hour to load a single page, I've not seen this thread in three days. Thread moves so fast, Sonic would have trouble keeping up. I now have the opportunity to catch up on the ~33 pages since then - so I've made a summary about what I've just read. In spoilers just so this post isn't huge.
  • Duckson comes into existence.
  • Who we'd want as a second Xenoblade rep.
  • Laughing at Melia's misfortune (The feels!)
  • Smashboards starts leaking, tumblr hits itself in its confusion.
  • Lovenado Chronicles is now some kind of love dodecahedron between Shulk, The Monado, Hades, Reyn, infinite sandwich, Melia, Viridi, Alvis, Zanza, Master Sword, Fi, Metal Face and Juju's Buggy.
  • Gessenkou on GameFAQs does an English translation of the Xenoblade Chronicles X trailer.
  • @Metal Face returns.
  • Creepy image of Shulk, Death Note vibe.
  • New Smash rumour saying Bowser Jr. will use the Koopa Clown Car, quickly shot down.
  • Someone in Japan made an awesome/creepy glowing Shulk figurine.
  • Moderator drops by.
  • "Tsundere Face"
  • Xenoblade Assist Trophy discussion
  • Shulk is thrashing Ridley in a GameFAQs poll.
  • This is the greatest thing I've seen since that Tomodachi Shulk Smash musical. IT'S BETTER. ALLEZ-OOP.
  • Xenoblade stage music discussion. Can we have music double-up between Wii U and 3DS versions?
  • @ Solfiner Solfiner sends Friend Requests to the entirity of Smash Boards. Everyone who doesn't get one cries about it. (I might do a sweep soon, actually.)
  • Took two years for this thread to reach 100 pages. After April '14, it just shot up with Gematsu, #MonadoMonday, and other character reveals leaving people to look at who's left..
  • Heropon is best item.
  • More laughing/crying at Melia.
  • Xenoblade Smash Run enemy discussion. Generally conclude that Mechon would be best, but maybe some other things.
  • Spoiler-ception begins.
    "We need to go deeper!"
  • Speculation on removal of Newcomer banners.
  • Someone translates XCX opening scene. It's awesome.
  • Bead art Monado is created and it's awesome.
  • flametorchic's Monado is shared. We would all pay way too much for one.
  • Witch hunt for Metal Face's identity commences.
  • Everyone gets on topic about possible stages again. People, in general, still like the Junks idea.
  • Mumkhar account starts (oh boy, here we go again...)'
  • Thread averages 400 posts per day(!)
  • Xord and Sharla accounts appear. FFS...
  • Xenoblade items. Red Pollen Orb? Ether crystals? Nopon?
  • Roleplays return, again.
  • Recovery move for Shulk... Monado Cyclone? Air Slash? Monado Speed?
  • Lots more RP and shouting at RPers.
  • Laughing at dumb reasons Shulk can't be in Smash.
  • More laughing at Melia/Fiora interactions over Shulk.
  • Thoughts on Shulk's poster artwork if he was confirmed.
  • More RP.
  • How would customisation affect Shulk's moves?
  • More Tomodachi. All ready to see Dunban's nakedness.
  • Shulk's taunts and poses. Behold the power of the Monado!
  • RPs come back again. It would be nice if this thread doesn't get locked.
  • Should Monado Buster really be a FS?
  • What music to use during Shulk reveal? Consensus You Will Know Our Names.
  • Basically,
  • More Dittson
  • People start talking about gaming dreams they've had.
  • Laugh at Melia again.
  • SDCC hopeful hype
  • Sounds like Metal Face regrets making the RP account because of where it led.
  • Go back to #MonadoMonday, #AlvisAugust, #DittsonEverything
  • People posting people remixing/playing Xenoblade music, obliged to link to mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzIDgSRVfqo
  • People notice the thread slowing.

This took a solid 2.5 hours to catch up. On 72 hours of content. I feel mentally exhausted, but at least I made it to the end. http://smashboards.com/attachments/alvis-dance_zpsfad13f00-gif.19234/
Totally understand your pain, man... But it's super cool of you to work that hard to keep in touch.:)
Also, that was super accurate! Your powers of observation are truly great...
I've actually seen people try to insist that Shulk is second party.
Which is another way of saying "I don't wanna admit he's first party".
Fun fact: Pokémon's made by the second-party Game Freak.
Kirby's second party too, actually. Nobody remembers that.:)

Last edited:

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
So here's a question for you guys:

What were you guys' thoughts on Shulk sparing Mumkhar's life at Sword Valley? I heard some people complaining that Shulk was being too soft on him and Dunban was being a pushover. Seems like most people didn't like that scene... I thought it was great. Am I in the minority or what?

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146

What were you guys' thoughts on Shulk sparing Mumkhar's life at Sword Valley? I heard some people complaining that Shulk was being too soft on him and Dunban was being a pushover. Seems like most people didn't like that scene... I thought it was great. Am I in the minority or what?
I thought it was great. First of all, it really sets Shulk apart as a JRPG protagonist. Most of them would have killed Mumkhar, and you can't blame 'em. But it shows Shulk as someone who actually abhors killing, which I thought was awesome.
Secondly, it makes perfect sense in story, since as far as we know, Homs have never fought against Homs, only Mechon. So of course Shulk would have trouble taking the life of someone he actually knew was sentient! It's the start of his development from "revenge obsessed kid" to someone who just genuinely wants to restore peace.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583

I haven't played Xenoblade for a really long time, so memory's kinda fuzzy on the cutscenes... but did Shulk, at that point...

Know that Mumkhar had "killed" Fiora?"

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Totally understand your pain, man... But it's super cool of you to work that hard to keep in touch.:)
Also, that was super accurate! Your powers of observation are truly great...
I don't think I'll do it again maybe, my brain feels mushier than Dittson after that.

I think it fit with Shulk's character really well, tbh. He's meant to be the most likable person possible, so I didn't mind that he was being all noble.

Yep.

Last edited:

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice
I thought it was great. First of all, it really sets Shulk apart as a JRPG protagonist. Most of them would have killed Mumkhar, and you can't blame 'em. But it shows Shulk as someone who actually abhors killing, which I thought was awesome.
Secondly, it makes perfect sense in story, since as far as we know, Homs have never fought against Homs, only Mechon. So of course Shulk would have trouble taking the life of someone he actually knew was sentient! It's the start of his development from "revenge obsessed kid" to someone who just genuinely wants to restore peace.
He couldn't have killed him with the Monado anyways.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I haven't played Xenoblade for a really long time, so memory's kinda fuzzy on the cutscenes... but did Shulk, at that point...

Mmm... Well, I guess I'd have to agree that it speaks well of Shulk's character, then. I do remember hearing something from the creator about how he tried to make him a character that 'no one would hate'... And it's true. I certainly don't. But of course that should be obvious, considering what support thread I'm on...:)

That said, he still isn't my favorite Xenoblade character. I feel kinda bad saying it, but I like most of the other party members more... Even Reyn. Reyn actually really surprised me, especially with...

that one cutscene in the mines, where he pulls that hero move, then tells Shulk off for trying to do everything himself.

That scene made me see him as something more than just another stupid, buff friend character, like he actually had the ability to make decisions himself, and not just follow Shulk around.

As awesome as Reyn is though, Shulk would still be better for smash.:p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom