• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I keep saying this but I guess it needs repeating. If Sakurai intends to reveal every newcomer before release we may get more info on the next character reveal on Friday through Miiverse. People keep bringing up Comic Con as a place to announce a newcomer or vet but people need to think more like Nintendo. Why reveal a newcomer at Comic Con when you can do it the day after (in other words Monday. Comic Con ends on Sunday right?) They did it with the invitational and EVO, I can see it happening again. But if Sakurai doesn't mention anything Friday on Miiverse I'll go back to assuming we're getting two more newcomer videos, one for August and one for September and it'll be for Shulk and Ridley.
I agree with you I don't think anything in particular is going to happen at Comic-con.
However I do hope and pray that Snake is revealed there...
It seems like the perfect fit, NOT a Newcomer, but hype enough to warrant an individual reveal.
Of course that, again, is just me wishing.

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
I've been having the strangest dreams since summer began. They're strange because they're not strange at all!

Last night I had a dream that I was doing a little bit of research for a post on these forums when I discovered that I had the spelling wrong for Riki, and that it was really spelled "Rikui." I began to doubt my skill at spelling and then I began to worry about the mii of Riki that I uploaded to miicharacters.com, since his name would be spelled wrong on the site and it doesn't appear to me that miis can be deleted.

The thing is that these dreams are so real that there's often no reason not to believe it's fake. When I woke up this morning, I actually was still troubled about the fact that I had the spelling of his name wrong. I had to search for reasons why Riki is the real way to spell his name. Luckily, my conscious mind was able to figure it out pretty easily this time. There have been other instances where it took me much longer to figure out.

Haha that's right! For instance, on vacation a couple weeks ago I had a dream where I was doing normal vacation stuff, opened up my laptop to check the pic of the day quick before I went to bed, and I saw that Wolf was announced on the main site. After looking at a few pics, I accepted it and closed my laptop... then I don't really remember what happened. When I woke up irl, it took me a couple of hours into that day to finally question if Wolf was really announced. I just had no reason to, until I started discussing about smash characters with somebody.

Off to bed now. *Sigh* who knows what normal thing I will dream about tonight?
Shulk. Naturally. That or Dittson.

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
the only real reason people are thinking it might be a new comer or a vet is because nintendo did tease by saying their was gonna be a "few surprises" at their comic con
The surprise is there's no surprise. Which is to say, it's probably just Reggie facing off against the winner or something silly like that.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
I've been having the strangest dreams since summer began. They're strange because they're not strange at all!

Last night I had a dream that I was doing a little bit of research for a post on these forums when I discovered that I had the spelling wrong for Riki, and that it was really spelled "Rikui." I began to doubt my skill at spelling and then I began to worry about the mii of Riki that I uploaded to miicharacters.com, since his name would be spelled wrong on the site and it doesn't appear to me that miis can be deleted.

The thing is that these dreams are so real that there's often no reason not to believe it's fake. When I woke up this morning, I actually was still troubled about the fact that I had the spelling of his name wrong. I had to search for reasons why Riki is the real way to spell his name. Luckily, my conscious mind was able to figure it out pretty easily this time. There have been other instances where it took me much longer to figure out.

Haha that's right! For instance, on vacation a couple weeks ago I had a dream where I was doing normal vacation stuff, opened up my laptop to check the pic of the day quick before I went to bed, and I saw that Wolf was announced on the main site. After looking at a few pics, I accepted it and closed my laptop... then I don't really remember what happened. When I woke up irl, it took me a couple of hours into that day to finally question if Wolf was really announced. I just had no reason to, until I started discussing about smash characters with somebody.

You must have way more interesting dreams than me. I dream about games I'm currently playing through. Like a few months ago I had a dream that Shulk, as a kid, watched Dragon Ball Z, and Dickson blamed himself for letting him watch it and quote all the lines, including screaming at the top of his lungs to fire a kamehameha wave.
Lol, all my dreams are of games. Not sure if that's awesome or incredibly sad.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman

Oh geez, I completely know how that feels. I had a dream a few months ago that Paper Mario was confirmed for SSB4, and I just completely accepted it and then didn't think much of it again. A couple weeks ago it crossed my mind and I went "Wait...what?". I had to scan the official Smash Bros. site really carefully for a few minutes just because it was so mind-boggling to me that he wasn't actually in. I finally realized it was a dream, but it still felt weird thinking about it like that for a few days. I had even dreamt up a whole trailer and move set for him, and that's really strange, because I have never had any interest in making any move set for anyone.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Oh geez, I completely know how that feels. I had a dream a few months ago that Paper Mario was confirmed for SSB4, and I just completely accepted it and then didn't think much of it again. A couple weeks ago it crossed my mind and I went "Wait...what?". I had to scan the official Smash Bros. site really carefully for a few minutes just because it was so mind-boggling to me that he wasn't actually in. I finally realized it was a dream, but it still felt weird thinking about it like that for a few days. I had even dreamt up a whole trailer and move set for him, and that's really strange, because I have never had any interest in making any move set for anyone.
You know what sucks?
I can't remember any of my dreams...:urg:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
you my sir had a vision by chance do you weild a blade that becomes a light saber by chance?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Speaking of dreams about Smash Brothers, I got to play as three characters:

1. Link (in some awesome Knight Alternate Costume)
2. Daisy (In her strikers outfit)
3. Shulk (his moveset seemed odd at first, but then was easier to control)

I can also Lucid Dream pretty well, so I was able to maintain memory of how each character handled.

Edit: If anybody wants some details, useless as they maybe, I will tell them.

Last edited:

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
You know what sucks?
I can't remember any of my dreams...:urg:
It especially sucks when you swear the dream you just had was awesome as hell but you just can't remember it.
So anyway, Shulk's a pretty cool guy! Eh, has everything it takes to get in Smash and doesn't afraid of anything.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
It especially sucks when you swear the dream you just had was awesome as hell but you just can't remember it.
So anyway, Shulk's a pretty cool guy! Eh, has everything it takes to get in Smash and doesn't afraid of anything.
yeah he's like 99% chance to be in their are just to much pointing to shulk being in to not be in at this point

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
you my sir had a vision by chance do you weild a blade that becomes a light saber by chance?
Oh, that's why the entire dream was tinted blue.
Speaking of dreams about Smash Brothers, I got to play as three characters:

1. Link (in some awesome Knight Alternate Costume)
2. Daisy (In her strikers outfit)
3. Shulk (his moveset seemed odd at first, but then was easier to control)

I can also Lucid Dream pretty well, so I was able to maintain memory of how each character handled.
Augh, lucky jerk, I can't lucid dream at all. Even if I'm aware that I'm in a dream, my mind just hates my guts and doesn't let me do anything about it. I'll be like "Oh, I'm dreaming, I think I'll fly!", and then I'll try to fly, but I can't fly. It sucks.

I just still can't believe I legitimately thought that Paper Mario was in SSB4 for a few months.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

Augh, lucky jerk, I can't lucid dream at all. Even if I'm aware that I'm in a dream, my mind just hates my guts and doesn't let me do anything about it. I'll be like "Oh, I'm dreaming, I think I'll fly!", and then I'll try to fly, but I can't fly. It sucks.

I just still can't believe I legitimately thought that Paper Mario was in SSB4 for a few months.
I think you would hate it even more that I got to try out Shulk's proposed moveset.

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
Sometimes I'll have a dream of an event that will happen in the future, be it a week to several years later. Interestingly enough, Shulk's visions are described to be "like a dream."
So, I'll let you guys know if I find some kind of red sword while cleaning up my room.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Yeah! Fights Mechon and saves Dobercorgis. Except Melia's. Poor Melia.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Sometimes I'll have a dream of an event that will happen in the future, be it a week to several years later. Interestingly enough, Shulk's visions are described to be "like a dream."
So, I'll let you guys know if I find some kind of red sword while cleaning up my room.
I've actually had very similar experiences before... Dunban Old Spice commercial confirmed?

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Well, I timed it, and it takes about an hour to catch up on this thread everyday... and I really just skimmed through it. That's some impressive time-killing, guys... I don't think any other thread is capable of that.;) Still, it's always good for a few laughs. Happy as Heropon to be here, and I mean that sincerely.

Also, it's good to see people getting back to some serious discussion (with the occasional Dittson sprinkled in, just to keep things weird enough:)). It is getting kinda tough to think of something to talk about that hasn't been said, though... but we'll figure something out! Xenoblade's a huge game, after all... there's gotta be something left!

Let's get to it, people! Monado... DISCUSS!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
As a matter of fact, yes, I do. Jerkbutt. :b
Yeah. Like I said it seemed weird at first, Shulk's moves seemed hard to prioritize. These are the only moves that I got to try when playing as Shulk:

Aerial: :GCR::GCA:
Forward Smash: :GCR::GCA:
:GCD::GCB: Worth Noting: This special allowed Shulk to switch between Monado Arts (type of arts).
Aerial: :GCL::GCA:
Facing away from opponent: :GCL::GCA: (with their back against me) Shulk said "Back Slash" or "Gawt You!" When I hit my opponent.
:GCU::GCB: Shulk used Elwind and shot up a little in the air, I suggest this was his recovery move.
Edit: I just noticed this said Elwind.....:facepalm:, it is like the one from the game, cannot remember the name.

I also remembered Shulk's pose, it was like this:

My opponent was :wolf: and we were fighting on :lylat: if anybody is interested.

P.S. Leaving Shulk idle caused him to move into this pose:

His eyes would glow for about 3 milliseconds before resuming his normal sword position.

P.S.S. To be more accurate, Shulk's fighting pose was like this:

Last edited:

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793

Same freaking here. Last night I dreamt that I was Ryu from Street Fighter and I needed to Hadouken a dude. I performed the motions, but nothing shot out. It just doesn't work. Another time I was supposed to be a psychic, but then . . . nothing happened. Oh well.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I've actually had very similar experiences before... Dunban Old Spice commercial confirmed?
I'm on a horse... In a world of strife!

I can't get this image out of my head now...:)

But in all seriousness, this happened to me as well. Mine are usually eerily accurate... and I don't dream that much, either. That must mean something... maybe I'm the real-world version of Shulk...?

Awesome...:chuckle:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

That's happened to me before!! I had a dream once where I was running around what looked like Black City from Pokemon Black, and thought "Wait, this is a dream! Time to fly!" and jumped off one of the buildings and fell to my death. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I also have extremely interesting dreams, and try to write down as many as I can (usually in sometimes-poorly-spelled notes on my iPhone, since I'm usually groggy but don't want to forget anything.)

The other day I had a dream where I was Dunban (**** YES!) and ended up being lost in this enormous sandpit, with nothing but the Anti-Mechon Glaive and a knife, and ended up having to jab my hand with the knife to escape. Sense, I don't know what was.

More on Shulk-topic, I've been visiting the Robin subforum (since I plan to main (or second if Shulk is around), Robin, and have noticed how cozy they've gotten in their nice little subforum.

Shulk announcement/subforum. Sakurai pls.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
I also have extremely interesting dreams, and try to write down as many as I can (usually in sometimes-poorly-spelled notes on my iPhone, since I'm usually groggy but don't want to forget anything.)
I might get a really interesting dream once every few years, but most dreams that I remember I only remember because they were so boring I bored myself awake. That has actually happened to me. My subconscious hates me. :b

Sakurai plz, for the sake of the fanfics. Plz.

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
So, if there's a story mode, even though Sakurai said that there won't be something like the Subspace Emissary, what do you think Shulk's role would be? When would he appear, and where? Would we get an actual Xenoblade level?

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583

His eyes would glow for about 3 milliseconds before resuming his normal sword position.

I can completely see this. Maybe a little Ike-like, but how else would you hoist a sword like that?:)

And that idle pose... perfect. I can see his running animation too; dragging the monado behind him, like he does in cutscenes. What would his walking animation look like, though? Any ideas...?

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
So, if there's a story mode, even though Sakurai said that there won't be something like the Subspace Emissary, what do you think Shulk's role would be? When would he appear, and where? Would we get an actual Xenoblade level?
A lot of people would expect something to do with Rob or Mega Man, but I feel like he'd just see Mega Man as a kid in a costume, and Rob, as...Iunno. I feel like Samus would come off as a more menacing machine-like enemy for Shulk. And they're both pretty awesome at what they do. They eventually work together (Because everyone in Subspace fought then worked together) and eventually fight Meta Ridley. Because Metal.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
A lot of people would expect something to do with Rob or Mega Man, but I feel like he'd just see Mega Man as a kid in a costume, and Rob, as...Iunno. I feel like Samus would come off as a more menacing machine-like enemy for Shulk. And they're both pretty awesome at what they do. They eventually work together (Because everyone in Subspace fought then worked together) and eventually fight Meta Ridley. Because Metal.
Great another Metal Face!:troll:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
In a perfect world we'd have an adventure mode that didn't take up so much development time and worked better, and I'd like to think Shulk would show up somewhere akin to where Fox or Captain Falcon showed up in SSE. Showing up in a moment of another hero's peril either seeing the outcome differently in a vision beforehand (as a foreshadow) or just coming in akin to that iconic moment (Well, one of many, but you know the one.) in Xenoblade and wrecking ****.

I'd love for there to be a Xenoblade themed level, probably something based on Mechonis Field or Eryth Sea, something that doesn't seem like a generic field (No offense to Gaur Plain.) to people unfamiliar with the series. Full of Mechon and/or other assorted enemies, of course. But mostly Mechon.

Holy ****. Now I absolutely want Samus to show up in Shulk's trailer and have them duke it out. Mmmmmmmmmmm....so ****ing awesome!!

Last edited:

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
Speaking of Samus, am I the only one that notices the slight parallel of Samus and Shulk to X and Zero? Arm-cannon high-tech armor and blonde laserblade swordsman. Dunno why, but it could work in a fic or so.

I was gonna be all "hey, Samus and Shulk! It's all like X and Zero! In the next Smash and write an awesome fic. But then Mega man showed up and it was all, "you can't have TWO Mega men in the same story, mah boi!"

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Samus, am I the only one that notices the slight parallel of Samus and Shulk to X and Zero? Arm-cannon high-tech armor and blonde laserblade swordsman. Dunno why, but it could work in a fic or so.

I was gonna be all "hey, Samus and Shulk! It's all like X and Zero! In the next Smash and write an awesome fic. But then Mega man showed up and it was all, "you can't have TWO Mega men in the same story, mah boi!"
Then by the fifth game they have an implied relationship. Then Samus swears to use Shulk's Monado to ensure a better future.
Then Shulk hid himself while he tried to repair himself.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I'd love for there to be a Xenoblade themed level, probably something based on Mechonis Field or Eryth Sea, something that doesn't seem like a generic field (No offense to Gaur Plain.) to people unfamiliar with the series. Full of Mechon and/or other assorted enemies, of course. But mostly Mechon.
Sword Valley, maybe? One of the most Mechon-infested areas, and it seems like it would be well-suited to 2D sidescrolling.

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
Then by the fifth game they have an implied relationship. Then Samus swears to use Shulk's Monado to ensure a better future.
Then Shulk hid himself while he tried to repair himself.
And then Samusman X4's infamous scene with Shulk and (spoilers). You know, "WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOUUUUR!?!?!?!?one!?!?!questionmark!?!exclamationmarkone"

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I had a dream a while ago that Freddie Mercury was a playable character. His final smash was entirely synchronized to "Don't Stop Me Now" and long story short Freddie Mercury is my number one most wanted character. Ya know, if we're just disregarding any actual likelihood of characters getting in.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Yeah. Like I said it seemed weird at first, Shulk moves seemed hard to prioritize. These are the only moves that I got to try when playing as Shulk:

Aerial: :GCR::GCA:
Forward Smash: :GCR::GCA:
:GCD::GCB: Worth Noting: This special allowed Shulk to switch between Monado Arts (type of arts).
Aerial: :GCL::GCA:
Facing away from opponent: :GCL::GCA: (with their back against me) Shulk said "Back Slash" or "Gawt You!" When I hit my opponent.
:GCU::GCB: Shulk used Elwind and shot up a little in the air, I suggest this was his recovery move.
Edit: I just noticed this said Elwind.....:facepalm:, it is like the one from the game, cannot remember the name.

I also remembered Shulk's pose, it was like this:

My opponent was :wolf: and we were fighting on :lylat: if anybody is interested.

Shulk and Wolf revealed in the same trailer confirmed.

My last smash related dream was checking the smash website on a Friday and seeing Ike confirmed with his buff Radiant Dawn design. It was around 3-4 Fridays before his actual reveal, though.

I had a Xenoblade dream on Saturday. It was like exploring vast plains and battling monsters. Nothing special.

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
You must have way more interesting dreams than me. I dream about games I'm currently playing through. Like a few months ago I had a dream that Shulk, as a kid, watched Dragon Ball Z, and ****son blamed himself for letting him watch it and quote all the lines, including screaming at the top of his lungs to fire a kamehameha wave.
Lol, all my dreams are of games. Not sure if that's awesome or incredibly sad.
I think that's great. All my dreams about games are nightmares.. it completely sucks. I'm sure i'll have one of smash 4 being ruined a week before release.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
1:24 AM

Almost nobody on the thread.

Can't even lift my arms due to pain.

But still... Let's party.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom